A new chubby momma here!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

3lilgals4me

A new chubby momma here!

Post by 3lilgals4me » Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:25 pm

Hey --I am jumping on board here with the NoS lifestyle...so glad I found you! I am a wife of 1 and mom of 3 with 50 (yes, count 'em, 50!) pounds to lose at 5'3" and 180. How did this happen??!! Well, I am ready to un-happen it and get fit and healthy again and be a lot more fun and energetic for my family....and maybe live alittle longer, too! Thanks for being here!--Judy

peetie

Post by peetie » Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:25 pm

Hi Judy,
I'm new here too, and so far, I am very impressed with all the wisdom and energy.

Who would have ever thought that just eating three meals a day like a normal person would be so challenging!! I know, for me, I have decades of dieting and bingeing behind me, and for a couple weeks now have been eating three meals a day and, although there have been times I've had to fight the urge to snack, this is feeling really doable.

I've already lost a few pounds, and am right around my ideal weight, so it's not that I have so much to lose at this point, but I just want a sane way of eating that will make me feel well physically and will keep me off the diet/binge roller coaster.

So far, I am cautiously optimistic. The caution part is after having so many years of disappointments through the years of the food plan du jour. But this is just good common horse sense, so I REALLY think this is the way to go.

peetie

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:10 pm

Hi Judy...welcome to the No-S Diet! This is a really friendly and supportive place to be, so I know you are going to enjoy posting and reading other people's posts. There is also a daily check-in, which is great for accountability and support.

I love the simplicity of this program. Nothing to buy, nothing special to eat (or avoid eating). Everything's allowed, but timing is crucial. Just eat three good meals a day and save the goodies for S-Days. Doesn't get much easier than that!

Glad you found us! Hope you will post often. :D

peetie

Post by peetie » Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:28 pm

Jan Tz,
I'm new here too and was wondering where the daily check in is. It's probably right infront of me, as when I ask at the grocery store where something is and I am standing two feet away!

peetie

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:13 pm

Hey Peetie and Three little gals (plus one big guy) for you,
To start a daily check in thread, simply go to that section and hit the "new topic" button .... Then you can name your daily checkin as you wish, for instance "Sweetie Peeties Daily Rap", or just "Peeties Check In"... and it will be there for you to use either, daily, semi-weekly, or once in a blue moon... There's really no pressure there, unless you want that... Some people use it to track their first tries at the "Three weeks/21 days on habit" challenge, and some just like to use it for general updates whenever... It's a good way of getting peoples advice and also, staying accountable... No need to write down everything you eat, though some people seem to like to outline what they had for their meals during the day. Others just write small stuff like "Great day/Success" or "Failure/Setback/"Ooopsie I ate a box of Mallowmars"...."
Or "Help me I am in deep S"
Ha ha....
3LittleGals, I am with you weight wise only a lot heavier due to the fact that for years now I have done some yo-yo type exercising (not now, I'm pretty good about it these days) and somehow managed to build up a foundation of muscle, which is also covered with adipose.... So I am about 208, but would like to be about 160...
Three kids? That's great and that's hard.. I was a step mother to three young kids before my own son Richard was born... Someone was always fighting with someone else! LOL.... Also, there's that much more temptation in the form of "kids food" and junk to eat... It does make it easy between spending a good bit of time pregnant, and being affected by hormones, and lifestyle changes (STRESS! LOL) to have that weight "sneak up"... Kudos to you for seeing that you can make a difference and don't have to settle for staying that way! Yay you! I suggest you involve the whole family, since you can really do NoS with any combination of food types and tastes... and why not start those habits early, plus get the support of your home team?
I usually mention to people that it's good to start kids doing the NOS with you, like Richard does with me... I let him have some extras, though with the amount of activity he does every day, he truly needs it... But we are very strict about the Sweets part and also seconds... His "Snacks" are semi regular and not just "eat out of the bag" type stuff, so you could consider him a a kid who does a "Four meal" version of NoS... He actually started to get a bit of a chubby belly last year and during the course of the Winter while we were both doing NoS he lost 2.5 inches of fat from his waist and is now a slim young man.. all that came from just curbing his sweets... I used to give him small desserts daily after dinner as his "reward". Usually it was about 4 or 5 cookies, or something similar.. Well it really added up and also I was allowing soda several times a week.
Now it's only twice a week on S days... I am proud of him and he helped me a lot, since I don't have to argue about what we can bring into the house during the week that's N-Day approved...
Good luck both of you... I have had a slow go with this, but I can tell you with 100 percent certainty, that as long as you stick with it, you will lose slowly and definitely keep it off.. I've lost something like 12-15 lbs since last Sept, and about 4 inches from my waistline, and none of it came back in one bad weekend, or even one bad month... Peetie, you are so lucky not to be overweight, so protect that, and, yes, NoS will ensure that you don't become a diet victim of neurotic fad yo-yo-ing... You will actually stay slim and enjoy food and life!
What a concept!!!
Good luck newbies!!!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

peetie

Post by peetie » Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:45 pm

Thanks, Deb! Somehow, I managed to miss that whole section! This board sure has a lot of information. Everytime I think I have perused it all, I find some more interesting material.

You're a great welcoming committee, Deb. Thanks!

peetie

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:09 am

Welcome Judy! I am also new to the No-S lifestyle. I have been doing it for about 2 weeks now, and I love it! I think you will be pleasantly suprised by the simplicity of this plan. Yes, it really is that easy! For years, people have been telling us to just "eat less, move more", but the no-s plan actually helps to give you a little structure to help you do just that. I have found it extremely helpful.

Keep posting and let us know how you are doing!
***GRINS***
Tricia

"When you are in a jam, a good friend will bring a loaf of bread and peanut butter..."

3lilgals4me

Post by 3lilgals4me » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:07 pm

Thanks for the welcomes, tips and encouragment! I got through the first day but it was and S day--Sunday (duh) plus my dad's 70th b-day. But, my S's were only a few extra bites at dinner and 1 moderate slice of cake. Otherwise a moderate breakfast and lunch with no other S's. So, that is a great start for me considering I have pretty much been in binge mode for several weeks now always having some control early in the day and giving in to stress eating as the day goes on. NOT yesterday! So, I am looking forward to a true No-S day today!!---Judy
Judy

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:22 pm

Good luck Judy! Everytime you go to stick some snack in your mouth, repeat some kind of mantra or something, go have a glass of water and think "I can have that at mealtime..."
PS... Meals can be spaced out however it's convenient, but I suggest, don't wait till you are starving.... And have a real meal, not a deprivation size plate of food.. (eg: my meal was a stick of celery with two grapes! :P ) so you can feel satisfied..
Also, if you sit down and don't eat on the "run" you can savor every bite and it will register in your mind much better...
Love,
8) Deb