shovelglove history

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
JWL

shovelglove history

Post by JWL » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:51 am

Well, I had some time today to read through the archive of shovelglove. I only got up through about 300 before I skipped to the last 50. It was nice to see all the interesting ideas.

I'm curious how many regular shuggers there are out there. I know it's impossible to tell, but does anyone have any estimates? I suppose we could extrapolate it based on the number of hits...

I imagine Reinhart would have the best guesstimate...
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:40 pm

I really have no idea, but I can qualify this ignorance in a couple of ways:

1) I'm pretty sure most people who signed up to the yahoo group didn't stick with it. It would be a miracle if they did. If year after retention rates were even low double digits, it would put me way ahead of any other exercise program out there. Unfortunately even this is impossible to measure without harassing people till they loath me.

2) I'm also reasonably sure that there are people who never posted here or emailed me that do shovelglove and/or nosdiet. A friend of mine living in Paris told me about a friend of his, a middle aged lady who neither speaks English nor uses the Internet who has been doing no-s since he explained it to her over a year ago. I doubt she's the only one. Maybe there are even more silent nos-dieters and shugggers than vocal ones, it's impossible to tell. I can count web site hits and forum members, but I have no way of converting these numbers to physical behaviors.

I hope that regulars will find it easier to keep pinging the new bb here than the yahoo group, which just got overwhelming toward the end. I'm not sure that'll ever give us a percent, but it should at least make it clear that there is a solid core of people who have stuck with it. The "Daily check in" forum in nosdiet seems to be particularly useful in this regard. I probably should have just put that under everydaysystems, so people could do multi system checkins in once place (as they are in fact doing), but now it's awkward to move...

I'll have to think about this issue a bit. I would love to have real numbers instead of qualified hunches.