Judy's Daily Check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

3lilgals4me

Judy's Daily Check-in

Post by 3lilgals4me » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:17 pm

Sunday 6/26--First day, an S day, but none-the-less a great success for me as it only included the S's of a few extra bites at dinner (not even full seconds!) and a moderate slice of my dad's 70th b-day cake! Looking forward to today being a true NO-S day for me!!
Judy

margaret

Post by margaret » Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:02 pm

Welcome, Judy, to our world of moderation and normalization. I'm a newbie, too and haven't mastered the habit of the NoS lifestyle, but it is so reasonable and logical (naturally coming from a computer guy's mind). I'm working on the assumption that someday I, too, will be reasonable and logical in my food choices.
"E're she looked for the good, e're she found it.
Annie May Quigg 1891-1996

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:30 pm

Ahem, may I ammend that previous statement Miss Margaret?

A brilliant and kind and supportive and non greedy super fantastic computer guy!
Not all computer guys are that special!

I'm done now! LOL....
Love,
Deb

sibyl

Post by sibyl » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:38 pm

Hi Judy!!

I'm a newbie too. I got through my first week, and I'm starting on the second...its mid-morning and I don't feel snacky or hungry. I just want to get my work done so I can go for my walk at lunch!!
"I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's a bunny with a pancake on its head".

3lilgals4me

Post by 3lilgals4me » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:59 pm

Ahhh....my first day no-sing on a no-s day. Ate great, felt great. However got too hungry just before dinner time and ate (scarfed) some of my meal while preparing the rest. Need to work on volume and timing of lunch meal to tide me over til dinner so as to avoid my usual pitfall of afternoon hungry/munchy/gluttonous grazing.
Judy

Kevin

the late afternoon willies

Post by Kevin » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:04 pm

I think late afternoon is by far the worst time. It always was for me. It's particularly hard when you are prepping dinner... All my near failures were during this time.

Good luck and keep it up. You'll get there.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:52 pm

Welcome, Judy. I find a drink while I'm cooking keeps necessary tasting from turning into a meal it itself. In fact, whenever you feel unbearable temptation creeping up on you, a drink is worth a shot. A good percentage of the time, that'll do it. And if it doesn't, you're no worse off than you were before. Icewater with lemon, or seltzer are good standbys, though while cooking it's usually my dinner wine or beer for me.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:05 pm

Late afternoon was difficult for me, too. I get up at 5 a.m., so by about 3 p.m., I'm getting pretty sleepy. I used to eat, just using calories for an energy boost. Now I have a cup of black coffee, regular, instead of my usual decaf, and it perks me up to make it to dinner without eating.

3lilgals4me

Post by 3lilgals4me » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:35 pm

Thanks all who have checked in on me to offer tips and support. Yesterday went well, but had the same frenzied feeling around dinner prep and ate as I was fixing for everyone else. I must strive to actually get the food on the plate today!! I will set out my coffee or other drink to sip plus a pack of gum since chewing gum is usually helpful to tide me over instead of make me more wigged out. I will try to have a bit later lun ch today tooo so as not be in a hunger panic at 530-6pm.
Hope you all have a great day!
Judy

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:33 pm

This may not be the healthiest advice but I do sometimes have coffee (with 1% milk, no sweetner) in the afternoons as a pick-me-up.

I probably drink 2 or 2 1/2 cups of coffee per day. Unsweetened Iced Tea may be a good option too.

Dru

Kevin

Dinner prep blues...

Post by Kevin » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:08 pm

When I was trying to make this a habit, I would go as far as washing peanut butter off my hands when I was making my kids lunch rather than licking it off. This while gritting my teeth and muttering curses at myself.

I don't think anyone here would hold you to as high a standard while you are prepping dinner. If all else fails, start serving raw vegetables with dinner. If you eat some cucumber slices while you are prepping, you aren't doing much damage.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

3lilgals4me

Post by 3lilgals4me » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:38 pm

Dang. gave in to the mid-morning munchies yesterday and grazed the rest of the day. Hmmm....why? Well, one thing I did was weigh myself. I have been avoiding the scale b/c of the emotional turmoil but decided to weigh yesterday so that I would have an acurate starting point. Well...as always I hated seeing the number and felt sad and stressed and instead of doing the positive thing and nossing for the day in order to promote healthy change I went with my old false comfort of food. Also, I realize I need to pre-plan meals better and get myself and kids on a regular schedule of meals times.I feel like I am feeding them all the time. I need to try to follow the advice of the poster (deb?? I am still learning y'alls names and situations....) who got their child essentially no-ssing. Many have probably gotten families following the same sane eating pattern of no-ssing. I must actually get the kitchen CLOSED for several hours between meals so I can get OUT of it! Anyway...emotional self-bashing is OVER and I go forward to no-s today!! Thanks for your support!
Judy

3lilgals4me

Post by 3lilgals4me » Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:25 pm

friday--success day 1
Got back on the horse after falling off on Thursday.

B--banana, yogurt
L--(out) Southwestern chicken salad
D--1 taco, 2 burritos, watermelon, munched 1 taco shell before and after the actual sit-down meal
Judy

3lilgals4me

Post by 3lilgals4me » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:43 pm

Sat, Sun, Mon--days 2,3,and 4, "s" days. They were good but I did not really over-stuff myself. Did not eat just because I could but really enjoyed the food-involved celebrating we did with church and friends. Let's see.....after church potluck lunch on Sunday, friends over for Mexican on Sunday night, and to friends house for dinner and fireworks last night. The best was fresh blueberry cobbler and homemade ice cream.

My goal for this week is to get the food ON my plate each meal and stop the munching while I get the meal ready to serveto everyone else. I have got to take the advice given here and get the drink, coffee, gum, whatever I need to get through those few minutes and not eat.
Judy

3lilgals4me

Post by 3lilgals4me » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:31 pm

Well, I have been pretty good at nossing the past few days. Had out of town guests and have been out and about with them so meals have been somewhat disorganized and unplanned and a little snacky but I have not had sweets or intentional snacks. Otherwise, i am in the middle of the strike zone for Hurricane Dennis (Pensacola Beach area) and things are getting apprehensive. I may be out of commission computer-wise for a while. I will just do my best (both to survive and no-s :shock: )!! I will probably just start another official 21 day challlenge when all is said and done with the storm. Wish me luck please if you read this!
Judy

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:54 pm

As a veteran of I have lost track of how many hurricanes, including Fran, Floyd, and I can't remember the name of the one last year because they all meld together after a while, I wish you Good Luck! and I hope your lights stay on. - Betsy
Chance favors the prepared. - Louis Pasteur

Ariel King

Post by Ariel King » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:23 pm

Good luck Judy!!! Fingers crossed that you come through the storm with no damage!

A funny note: Whenever I see the word "nossing" it makes me think of the word "noshing"... which is kinda ironic :wink:

3lilgals4me

Post by 3lilgals4me » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:50 pm

Okay, I am ready to get back on track. Hurricane Dennis knocked down a few of our trees and we lost power for only 3 days. But, house, kids and animals all okay. So, I am ready to No-S it again and am starting my 21 Day Challenge TODAY!! Day 1........

Judy

Thanks guys for wishing me luck--looks like luck was on our side!
Betsy, that Hurricane Flloyd was a doozy, huh!?
Judy

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:15 pm

Floyd was a real mess because of all the flooding. It was like a war zone with the helicopters flying all around.

Fran was a mess cause of all the trees down. You couldn't go anywhere, cause every length of road had fourteen large trees across it, decorated with a spaghetti of downed power lines. I had no power after Fran for eight days. You couldn't get ice, gasoline, chainsaws, or bread, for love or money. And being September, it was still so hot and humid. Yuck!!

Finally, there was Frances which caused a lot of flooding in the mountains and in a very indirect way resulted in a broken leg for me.

No more hurricanes that start with "F," please! Three is enough!
Chance favors the prepared. - Louis Pasteur

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:20 pm

Thank goodness you are all ok! Day 1, full speed ahead!!

3lilgals4me

Post by 3lilgals4me » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:42 pm

Fri 7/15 and Sat 7/16...success days 1 and 2.
Judy