new shovelglove move

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
JWL

new shovelglove move

Post by JWL » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:01 pm

I came upon a new move. I don't know what the "real-world movement" analogue is, but the move feels good in the shoulders.

Basically, hold the sledge in one hand, with the hammer end hanging downward, similar to the 'churn butter' move but with 1 hand. Straighten your arm at the elbow, and hold it outward, so your arm is parallel to the floor. Then, without bending your elbow, lift your arm straight up.

This really works the shoulder muscles nicely (deltoids). BUt I can't think of a real-world movement analogue....
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

oldfox

Post by oldfox » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:04 am

"Pull the rabbit out of the hat"?

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:28 am

I like the move...and the name!

Kevin

a variation: align the rail

Post by Kevin » Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:23 pm

I do a two handed motion that has sort of the same effect, with a work analog: I figure I'm standing beside a train rail and banging it back into alignment, raising the hammer to the side, both hands on the handle. It hits the deltoids pretty hard. I do maybe 30. Almost like a golf swing, or playing croquet with iron balls in, say, Hell.

On days when I'm using the tire, I drive the tire for 30 strokes, then drive it back along the same path with the other hand. I also drive the tire with the "stoke the oven" move. It's a very different sensation when there's an object on the receiving end of the blows. You put a lot more into the driving portion of the motion, and you don't "brake". I find it more aerobic and less muscle-burning.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Gman

Post by Gman » Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:43 am

I have a new move also. hands about shoulder width apart and in front (one palms up one palms down) rotate the hammer as though you are turning a wheel.The finnish position will be right hand opposite left shoulder and vice versa when changed hands.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:57 am

Do you mean a spiral like motion?
Are you trading off from hand to hand, with the head of the SG in your hand?

How about "Flip the pancake out of the giant iron frying pan" ? LOL...

Peace,
8) Deb

Gman

Post by Gman » Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:37 am

Like a turning of a wheel valve.Rotate back and forth really hit the biceps and shoulders.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:05 pm

Go Gman! Thanks! How long have you been playing with Shovelglove?How heavy is your toiling machine!? LOL..
I tend to like to protect the rotator cuff muscles so I limit the above the shoulder movements... I do love the Fireman, and sometimes do a little Tuck the bales (ha ha the name still makes me laugh!), but only a few...

But usually, I stick to stuff where I'm not going to overstress the nice little supraspinatus muscle, which is like the size of a large chicken tender off a value meal...

Yeah, you are definitely working the biceps there... More than the delts, I'd imagine.. But getting the weight up there to begin with does very much engage those delts... The position, however, since your arms are in front of your body, only engages the anterior delts and really serves more as a resisted flexion/supination exercise for the biceps..
If you can do this without any "clicky" type feelings or sounds at your shoulder, great!

I am happy because I never ever could do flip the lever, last year... I just avoided it because my arm and shoulder was just too weak for that...
I had injured my right shoulder pretty badly prior to finding shovelglove, so I was looking to rehabilitate it slowly and carefully...
SG really has helped... So anyway, I finally, after combining SG with Yoga, which I've been practicing for about four months now, I am capable of doing flip the lever a handful of times without it feeling really hard...
When you practice Vinyasa, the sequence of Downward dog, Plank position, Chatturanga, and then Upward dog or Cobra, you really develop strong shoulders.. I think that's what has made the big difference for me..
(for position finder check www.yogajournal.com for pose photos section)
Still, I have a pretty tight neck to begin with, so I try to keep the load off it when it feels stressed out...

Keep turning that steam valve... I just tried this out now and am not sure if I did what you meant! LOL. Is the handle just hanging down?
The action is still to vaguely described for me to picture it...LOL..
Have a great day!

ps... How in the world could that strongman guy pick up a 56 lb sledge from the very end!!!!!!! That is just too scary! LOL....
I bet he was really good at arm wrestling matches! LOL..
Love,
8) Deb

Gman

Post by Gman » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:27 pm

Just an 8lber at the moment.I can manage to get through the beginner move twice in 14 mins, but don't feel ready to move up yet.
What is you shoveglove song is a Grateful Dead song (have'nt heard anything by them)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:36 pm

You have to be in your twenties to say that.. Am I right? LOL..
Send me a note on my email and I'll look for a couple of live tunes to send your way, and my SG song...
It's not very martial! LOL..
Peace and Love,
8) Deb