On portion sizes...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Beth

On portion sizes...

Post by Beth » Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:51 pm

This is a question for those who have passed their first 21 days+
Do you now find that you are naturally eating less during your No-S meals b/c you get fuller faster now? I am just wondering if when I get to the point of working on cutting back portions, it may be a moot point b/c I won't be cleaning my plates due to being full long before that time.
Thanks!
Beth
Mom to Nathan and Jessica, born 04/20/2004

Kevin

Cutting back portions

Post by Kevin » Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:33 pm

Let it be natural. Don't work on cutting back portions until at least day 22.

I'm at 42 days, and my meals are smaller than they used to be pre No-S.
It's just not an issue any more.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

peetie

Post by peetie » Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:04 pm

This is an issue that concerns me too. I have such a gargantuan capacity! To make it 5 - 6 hrs., I feel I have to eat so much, it worries me that I will blow up like a balloon......a BIG balloon. The kind that float over parades.

But, I'm going to go with it and see what happens. I'm sick of the old diet roller coaster, so I'm willing to walk this path. Just hope I won't be waddling this path.

peetie

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:04 pm

My need to feed has definitely lessened. When I began my No-S adventure, I was really filling up the dinner-sized plates three times a day. I was a little embarrassed a dinner with the family, because I felt like such a pig, putting so much food on the plate. But, it had to tide me over until the next morning!

Now, breakfast and lunch fit nicely on a Corelle luncheon plate; only lunch is on a dinner plate. This is very satisfying.

Also new for me, is that I don't feel like I'm going to die if a meal is late. It's really not a problem any more. This is very strange for me, but I'm quite pleased. :D

Rumba

Post by Rumba » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:56 pm

Beth and peetie, I know it is different for each person, but just in case my experience will help, here it is:
1. I find that if I eat a healthy meal which includes a substantial portion of protein, plus complex carbohydrates in the form of vegetables and salad, I don't get hungry for a long time afterward. In fact at 5 hours I'm almost never hungry any more. It's 6 or 7 hours before I feel any hunger again (actual hunger as opposed to those cravings for sweets or snacks which I quickly dismiss with "I can have that on the weekend.")
2. I have not been thinking about trying to reduce portions, and don't intend to. One plate, normal-looking not piled-to-the-sky works fine for me and I intend to stick to that. I am finding, however, that occasionally I don't want everything on my plate, so I toss some in the garbage--but it's not an obsession or even a mild interest in trying to reduce the amounts. One normal plateful, KISS :wink:

Take from that anything that works for you, and toss the rest.

peetie

Post by peetie » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:57 pm

Thanks, Rumba. I am definitely interested in your input. About how much protein are you consuming per meal? 4 oz. 8 oz. l lb.? It's true we all have to find what amounts work for us, but I'm curious what works for you.

I know we all have a tendency to overthink this stuff. Maybe it comes from all the years of following complicated diets. We just can't keep it simple!

Peetie

Rumba

Post by Rumba » Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:11 am

Hi peetie,
I don't really think in terms of ounces, I just go with what looks to my eye like "a serving." I emphasize protein more in the earlier meals, so for breakfast I may have a leftover fish fillet (the ones I buy I happen to know range from 4 to 6 oz) or else a couple of eggs plus some cheese or cottage cheese. When I eat chicken it might be one chicken breast, no idea how many ounces that is. Most of the time my vegetables are non-starchy--i.e. asparagus and not potato, etc. and my salads are greens plus goodies like artichoke hearts, tomato, red or green pepper, but I don't make those hard and fast rules, just choose them more often than not.

I make a habit of cooking extra of my protein at lunch or dinner so I'll have leftover protein for breakfast and don't have to fall back on eggs every day. I seldom have toast for breakfast. I'm more likely to accompany the protein with sliced tomato, or even a green salad.

I stick absolutely strictly to the no sweets, no seconds, no snacks protocol--that's the only part that I consider a hard and fast rule. Not so much as one single grape between meals. This has actually worked for me right from day one of the program. The only thing I have to battle is the cravings for sweets and snacks, and as I've mentioned, for me saying "I can have that on the weekend." seems to diffuse the intensity. They come upon me multiple times every day, but they are quickly dismissed. I hope some day they diminish, but even if they don't, they are manageable as is.

I hope you find your combination that will make the program as easy for you as it has been for me so far. (And believe me, I have struggled with diets and exercise programs!)

peetie

Post by peetie » Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:01 pm

Thanks so much, Rumba, for your detailed reply. Seems I'm always looking over at other people's plates to see what THEY have!

One thing that really helps me with not having sweets during the week is that I do healthy sweet things to satisfy me in between. For example: I like making a big dish of oatmeal with raisins and walnuts and after I cook it, pour a small amount of Vanilla Almond Milk over it. It gives it a nice sweet flavor, but in reading the label of the brand I buy....the actual sugar content is lower than that in plain milk! And I feel like I am eating a huge oatmeal cookie!

I also find something like a few stewed prunes (okay, no senior jokes!) on cottage cheese gives a real "sweet and sour" taste that is satisfying too.

This is my first week-end NOsing. I am not going to allow snacking because I have just come away from the approach of six small meals a day, and want to stay away. But I plan to attach some sweets to my meals. That sounds like deviation enough from my week days for me.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Peetie

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:15 pm

Peetie!
I think somewhere down the line I heard that the favored drink of the Warriors, among Klingons, is
Prune juice.....

(personally I love em... :wink: )
Hug,
8) Deb

peetie

Post by peetie » Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:23 pm

Thanks, Deb, I needed that! I am a warrior!!!! Hear me roar!!!

Peetie

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:37 pm

I'm allowing myself one piece of fruit to 'snack' on every day. At least for the first couple of weeks anyway.

I find this is helping a lot. Afterall, I used to snack on fruit AND crisps AND chocolate every day. I figure leaving the fruit there isn't going to do me any harm in this case! I can always try to leave it out once I've gotten a bit more used to the whole structure of it.
CaroleJo

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:11 pm

Dear Carole Jo!
Great that you aren't having the crisps and choco covered treats, and switching to fruit...
So much of snacking and even "hunger" is mental... I suggest that you try to incorporate that fruit into your meal.... That is your dessert...
This will accomplish two things... Truly you will feel much more satisfied, and probably won't even feel hungry till lunch or dinner if you have a very nutritious meal....
Secondly, you will "deprogram" the snacking impulse that has built up in you for some time...
So many people who start out on NoS think, "Wow, how can I make it without a mid meal snack???" etc... and then after the first one or two days, so long as the meals are really substantial enough, they are posting how they can't believe that their need to snack is almost gone...
I am pro fruit and think, calorically, no it won't screw up your day, but you will take that much longer to get rid of the habit of "impulsive" eating... Like Reinhard says in his home page, an orange isn't going to kill you, but the idea is to have it as part of your meal... Most of this is really mental... Psych yourself up for success!!!!!
We are here to cheer you and hubby on!
And also, please, don't take this as nagging, just a suggestion. It may be easier than you think! :wink:
Oh, it would be so fun to have him post too, so encourage that if at all possible... You may just be the first NoS couple, other than Reinhard and his wife, and I'm not even sure if she is in need of or on NoS...
PS... The only think I know about Leeds is that that's where
"The Who" recorded "Live" at! LOL.....
Good concert!
Cheers,
8) Deb