Forcing S-Days

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Samurai

Forcing S-Days

Post by Samurai » Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:40 pm

I've copied a portion of a post from Jan-Tz on the 21-day Club forum to post here, as I wanted to start a new topic based on her comment. Here it is:
Jan-Tz wrote: Anyway, my habit is formed so well now, that it is difficult to break from it even on s-days.
My NoS legacy has been sporadic at best, until recently (thanks to this board and the Daily Check In) but I still have a hard time purposely breaking the habit of three meals a day, no sweets.

To the board members: do you specifically, on purpose break habit on S-Days, because it IS an S-day? Or do you let it unfold naturally, and just have dessert or seconds as it comes up over the weekend?

I found that this morning I deliberately broke the pattern by starting my day with a Pepsi. I didn't exactly feel guilty, but it felt odd as I wasn't craving it nor did I particularly want one. I just bought it because its an S-Day.

I'm learning as I go, like everyone else, and I think today I've learned not to "force" S-days to be S-days, but to let them just be 'days'. :)
One should not be envious of someone who has prospered by unjust deeds. Nor should he disdain someone who has fallen while adhering to the path of righteousness. - Imagawa Sadayo (1325-1420)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:04 pm

That is great news Samurai!
That "oddness" is probably something you never noticed or felt before when you chose to drink soda... It was one of your old habits...
Maybe you never really wanted it back then either but got so gosh darn accustomed to your behavior that it just became one of your defaults...
Pat yourself on the back for deprogramming, to some extent, that default..
Nowhere in NoS is there any statement saying your S days have to be any different than your N days, they just give you the option if you wish...
Mentally being able to loosen up on the reins is very nice...
If you choose to continue to eat healthy great!!! But the greatest thing is that this is a decision you made of your own free will...
So,yeah, I'd agree, don't force anything...
If you like to, make some sort of ritualistic plan to celebrate, or just go with your own flow.....
I think NoS really radically changed how I feel about eating a lot of things, purely on a taste perception level....
It's all growth... It's all change.... It's all good!
Love,
8) Deb

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:55 am

I am also learing to just let S-days be "days". Today i went to Wendy's with my daughter for lunch. Instead of having fries, etc, I just had some chili and a fruit cup; not because i was trying to "be good", but that was really what i wanted. Usually i would have stuffed myself simply because I could. However i did have a candy bar later. :twisted:

I think the whole thing is a journey. We learn what works for each one of us because none of us are exactly the same. Some really need those s-days, especially in the beginning (or maybe we just think we do?), and some really don't depend on them at all. They are simply a safety net. Make sense? I think I'm rambling on here....
:D
***GRINS***
Tricia

"When you are in a jam, a good friend will bring a loaf of bread and peanut butter..."

Samurai

Post by Samurai » Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:10 am

Nowhere in NoS is there any statement saying your S days have to be any different than your N days, they just give you the option if you wish...

Excellent point, Deb. Words well worth wemembering! (Say that three times fast!)
One should not be envious of someone who has prospered by unjust deeds. Nor should he disdain someone who has fallen while adhering to the path of righteousness. - Imagawa Sadayo (1325-1420)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:36 am

Samurai!
You sound wike Elmer Fudd! :lol:

peetie

Post by peetie » Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:15 am

This is my first noS week-end, and I am a bit concerned about "last supper" eating. I had a very rich dessert for lunch, and didn't for dinner because it was enough sweets for one day....it just didn't sound appealing. But now I am thinking, well, tomorrow is Sunday, so I should go get some of those glazed buttermilk donuts I love so much because I can't have them Monday through Friday.

So, I am dangerously close to that feast and famine mentality. Any wisdom would be very much appreciated from you more seasoned veterans here.

Peetie

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:47 am

Why not see if you're in the mood for them..
Don't freak Peetie... You'll get the swing of managing those sweets very soon, and even more importantly, you'll really really enjoy them in a different way, since they are allowed and presumably deserved for trying very hard and going by the rules on the other days...
Buttermilk donuts sounds like a perfect treat for tomorrow!
Thanks for the idea!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb
ps.. To my knowledge, I think they served buttermilk pita bread at the Last Supper, but I'm sure Jesus wouldn't have turned down a donut! :wink:

peetie

Post by peetie » Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:36 am

Deb, you are such a dear. Thank you so much for your speedy and very wise response. I will think of you as I am biting into my little doughey piece of Heaven and hoping you are doing the same.

Love your sense of humor by the way. Laughing and eating are two of my favorite things!

Peetie

Samurai

Post by Samurai » Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:36 am

Peetie, I'm not sure if I'm qualified to give advice. I'm still learning about myself and my eating habits as well.

With that caveat, I'd say buy a couple of those buttermilk doughnuts you love so much and have them tomorrow. If it doesn't completely rob you of the enjoyment of eating your doughnuts, be 'mindful' of your food. Watch your emotions and your thought process, listen to your body tell you when enough is enough, and learn from it. This is the first of many S-weekends for you in the future; can't expect to know how to handle them perfectly already. :wink:

The only reason I suggest this is because this is whats been happening to me recently. I'm becoming more aware of the quality and quantity of food that I've been eating and its effect on me physically and emotionally. Like Deb said, just because something IS allowed doesn't mean you HAVE TO indulge.

I'm learning that I don't like the feeling I get from overeating, even if thats how I used to eat. I'm learning I don't like the inevitable crash after an insulin spike, even if thats what I was accustomed to because of my soda habit. Even a short time abiding by No S rules can change the way you feel about food, and once you do not have those feelings any more they are obvious in there absence, as though someone removed the 2-ton elephant from your living room and you suddenly realize how much more room you have.

So buy those doughnuts, enjoy them, and see how you feel! Just learn from it so you can use your experience on next weekend's S day dilemna! :wink:

peetie

Post by peetie » Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:39 pm

Thanks Samurai. I appreciate your contribution. I think the slowing down and savoring and tasting and then feeling the results afterward are all very important in the game of food(AND life!).

Thanks for pointing out I am still a NoS virgin. Part of my problem is I expect to be perfect right out of the gate, and need to lighten up.

Peetie

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:13 pm

Peetie, I think there are two keys to making S days successful:

1) Get something your really want so that you aren't just eating wildly. I would advise not to let S days just be days because I think that will translate into frenzied, opportunistic eating of pure junk, without even any gastronomic value. S-days are a reward. Put some though into making that reward truly rewarding. You'll wind up eating less and enjoying it more.

2) Realize that you can't fail on an S day, even if the above doesn't work every time. They will still sometimes be excessive. Don't make yourself too miserable when this happens. Occassional excesses don't matter, unless they become routine, which they won't, with the No-s structure. The biggest danger of an excess is not the physical calories, but that you will be psyched out and ditch the structure altogether. Don't let that happen. The excess is part of the structure. It's officially OK. There's enough to worry about on N days, really!

Reinhard

peetie

Post by peetie » Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:18 pm

Thanks, Reinhard, I needed that!

I DID get through the holiday week-end quite intact. I had a limited amount of sweets that I enjoyed thoroughly. I had them piggybacked onto my meals, which I also enjoyed thoroughly, and didn't even get close to a crazed binge.

Today it feels good to be eating "clean" again, and knowing that I am being structured, but not deprived. Huge difference.

Yes, stopping to really think before just going all bozo all over the place with food makes a huge difference. I had been thinking of donuts last week, so knew when it came time for my reward, that would be my choice. And I focused on that....my perfect choice instead of becoming a crazed lunatic just because I could. Slowing down....and thinking....what a concept!

Peetie

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:46 pm

Peetie! I just wanted to tell you that I thought it was hilarious when you said you are a "NoS Virgin"!!!
You don't need to practice celibacy here though! NoS only stands for snacks, seconds and sweets! LOL...

Good for you on not becoming a "crazed lunatic" and going all "bozo"!!!!!
(snorting laughter in background...)
I hope those donuts were worth your NoS deflowering!
:lol:

Love (and Crazed Lunacy)
8) Deb

peetie

Post by peetie » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:01 am

Deb, You are a stitch! Yes.....that donut was worth giving myself to. I bought 5 of them so I would have that feeling of abundance, and one was actually enough. I froze the rest for another S day.

Thanks for the laughs and the extremely valuable advice. I am feeling like quite the NoS floozey at the moment!

Peetie