Special K commercial....

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gratefuldeb67

Special K commercial....

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:29 pm

Okay, don't get me wrong guys,,, I really do like Special K... But I saw this commercial today that p'd me off! LOL...
They were showing a lady who was "raiding" her fridge at night... First she looks at this giant chocolate cake with a tiny slice missing, and then she decides to eat healthy by choosing Special K instead of the cake...
I wish I could give you an exact quote, but the slogan was something to the effect of:
"Next time you are thinking of eating something in the middle of the night, make sure it's Special K, since that's so much better for you....."
Well, I guess that's kind of true, but it is so much healthier just to work on that bad habit of night eating.... I guess they are trying to capitalize on this phenomenon... The message that they are sending is very subtle, but it almost *encourages* and enables that bad habit (which I am all too familiar with, but it's getting much better in recent months....)
It's like saying "Keep overeating and all that bad stuff, as long as it's our "healthy" product, you should feel okay with that...."
Lame....
I've personally been really trying to go for water when these urges hit...
Love, Peace and Crispy flakes,,,,,
8) Deb

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:46 pm

I know, I HATE that commercial! Like she really needs to worry anyway; why can't they show 'real' women in commercials? I really hate the one about "bloating" where this woman is complaining about her size 8 pants (or whatever) feeling like size 2's. I'm like, oh you poor thing. :twisted: Ok, not that skinny people don't have problems too, but i just hate it when the media portrays most people as being thin, and heavy people as being the minority, when it is actually the other way around. It just speads the low self esteem, especially in teens. OOOOWWWEEEE! Didn't mean to get on a soapbox! Shheessshhh..... :oops:
***GRINS***
Tricia

"When you are in a jam, a good friend will bring a loaf of bread and peanut butter..."

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:06 pm

Commercials never portray real people. Take for instance the skin rejuvenating stuff from Olay or whoever. The women they show are too young to have wrinkles anyway. No wonder they look so good after using the product. Everyone looks good at 23, especially with stage make-up!
It's the same with fashion...everyone is young and trim and 5'6". I keep trying to find myself in the JC Penney catalog...short and middle-aged.
Still looking.

snazzybabe

Post by snazzybabe » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:04 am

If you don't already know I personally believe low-carb is healthier for me. So, anyway here in Australia in one of our magazines there was a full page ad that said something like "Its High in Protein" and you turn the page and its a picture of Special K. That annoyed me because they are now trying to get the high protein, low-carb market and you usually think if something is high in protein its low in carbs. I'm not sure how many carbohydrates there are in a serving of special k but I'm pretty sure its more higher than protein. I thinks its sneaky.
Regarding the commercial where the woman eats special k in the wee hours of the morning that definitely is wrong. She shouldn't be eating anything!!

sibyl

Post by sibyl » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:59 pm

I always sort of dislikes food advertisements - they seem to all encourage bingeing and/or eating unhealthy foods.
Now, however, they irritate me even more. Its this constant barrage of consume this and consume that, and then right next to them are all the ads for weight loss suplements and shakes and pills and programs. I think they're in cahoots to make as much money off of people as possible. Get them to stuff themselves, then feel guilty about what they're eating, and then sell them a magic solution to make the weight - and the guilt - fall off, at least until the next time.
Argh. :evil:
"I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's a bunny with a pancake on its head".