Mimi's Daily Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:06 pm

Monday - SUCCESS!! Good NoEssing and 30 minutes of exercise at Curves.
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:49 pm

Tuesday, 3/4 - Successful day! My eating habits are beginning to come under control once more. Nighttime is the worst for me, but with each passing day I am getting stronger.
Personal life - high drama. Brother-in-law waiting for a bed at the Univ. of VA hospital with brain aneurysms and spinal infection - definitely not a good situation. My pounds that I need to lose are very small and insignificant in comparison. At the beginning of the year I began keeping a gratitude journal where at the end of each day I list 5 things that I am grateful for. It has been a wonderful thing and has helped me focus on the good things in my life. NoS is on my list each day. Thanks, Reinhard.

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:30 pm

Hi Mimi,

I wanted to say a direct thank you for the support you've been giving me and thank you for giving me the time when you have other, more serious, things on your mind. I hope things go well with your brother-in-law and I'll be thinking of you.

Sally

friscobob

Stay With It, Mimi!

Post by friscobob » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:42 pm

I appreciate your response to my initial post of my beginning again on the No S Diet. You can do it, success will be yours and mine this time around! All the best, Bob

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:12 pm

March 6 - Yes, Bob! It will be! As proverbs tell us, "As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he." We know we will be successful this time! You're most kind! Thank you!
Thank you, Sally, for your kind words and thoughts too. That's what I love most about these boards - everyone is so kind and supportive. It makes it so much easier to stay on track when you know there are others who understand and help you out.
I had a GREEN day yesterday - that's great! No exercise, as we were visiting my brother-in-law. Got word this morning that he was transported to UVA at 2:00 this morning. Hopefully the teams there can figure out what's going on and get him better.
I am so thankful for Reinhard and his NoS program and for all the NoEssers who are so kind and encouraging.

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:44 pm

Just found out that my copy of the book shipped on Tuesday! Yay! I be getting it soon!!

friscobob

We're On Our Way!

Post by friscobob » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:19 pm

Hang tough, Mimi! We are on our way, we can do it, we are doing it! Step by step and the job will be done, and success will be ours! Best regards, Bob
Health Is The Greatest Wealth!

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:09 pm

3/7 - Yep! One day at a time!
RED day yesterday. :( It was green up until last evening when I ate a bowl of popcorn and a sugar-free ice-cream bar. But I stopped myself with that - that was good. This is a life-long way of eating and there are bound to be slip ups. I have to get my mind around that. I know myself, and I'm too much of a perfectionist when it comes to me - not others, just me. What I ate won't cause too much serious damage, but breaking the habit of not eating at night was not good. That's okay. I'm only human and under a good deal of stress at the time. Today's a brand new day! Thanks, Bob, for all your encouraging words!

friscobob

Stay With It!

Post by friscobob » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:38 pm

Sometimes in life we take one step back, but it's okay, we can just take two steps forward! There is an old Japanese saying, "fall down seven times, get up eight!" We can do it! The best is yet to come! Best regards, Bob

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:55 am

Yes, you are so right Bob!

Friday, 3/7 - GREEN :D
Saturday, 3/8 - Success! Participated in my first 5k! And I finished! I had to walk part of it, but I finished! I was very proud of myself.
Sunday, 3/9 - Success, even with eating out at a buffet bar after a hospital visit with my brother-in-law, who is facing another major surgery today or tomorrow.
Monday, 3/10 - GREEN :D Ran 10 minutes on my treadmill before going to school and went to Curves for a 30 minute workout.
I have a kickboxing class tonight, provided we don't make a run to the hospital. I'm feeling good about my exercise too.
One day at a time...

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:36 pm

Well done! Keep up the good work, Mimi! 8) And thanks for all your support

friscobob

Well Done!

Post by friscobob » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:57 am

Way to go, Mimi! Keep it up, one day at a time. All the best, Bob

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:45 pm

You guys are great! I really appreciate your support! I know I can do this, this time - my mind is in the right place and my habits are getting firmer.
3/11 - a GREEN day for NoS. No exercise class, but had a good visit with brother-in-law. Surgery is tomorrow.
I am going to a three-day reading conference (Thurs., Fri, Sat.) in Richmond so it will make doing NoS a little trickier, but I'm determined. The hotel has an exercise room so I'm bringing my workout clothes!

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:08 pm

Thursday - 3/13 - Success! No exercise.
Friday - 3/14 - RED! Ate chocolate cake (the whole piece) at a reception.
Sat. & Sun. - S days! Behaved well!
Tonight I'll go to Curves and tomorrow will have kickboxing. I need to get back into the exercise groove!

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:59 pm

Monday - 3/17 GREEN for NoS and GREEN for exercising! And considering it was St. Patrick's Day that's in the spirit of things!

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:22 am

Tuesday, 3/18 - GREEN for NoS !
Wednesday, 3/19 - RED - ate brownies my piano teacher gave me on the way home from the lesson. It was just me and the brownies! Bummer!
Thursday, 3/20 - GREEN for NoS and exercise. We're out of school today, tomorrow and Monday for Spring Break. I need a break from 7th graders!

mimi

A year later...sigh!

Post by mimi » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:24 pm

Here I am more than a year later - planning to come back once more. Tomorrow I will begin NoEssing anew and see if I can have a green day. This way of living worked so well for me when I applied it...why did I ever stop? I don't have an answer for that. I think I just give up too easily when I encounter failure or any kind - or red days in this case. I'm hopeful for success...will check in tomorrow!

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:50 pm

Welcome back! If you need encouragement, just read through your old checkins! I think we forget how well things work...
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:59 pm

Yes, I will! Read through my old check-ins and pray for you! No S worked very well for me - I don't know why I ever stopped. I think I let my failures overpower my green days and then I just gave up. At the time I stopped there was a lot of high drama going on around us, but that's not an excuse. I have such a history of giving up when it comes to controlling my weight.
But I am resolved to pick myself up, dust myself off, and give it a go again because I know it works. This time could be the charmer! Thank you so much for your welcoming words Reneew. It means a lot to me!
Mimi

mimi

First Day Back With No S After a L engthy Hiatus

Post by mimi » Fri May 01, 2009 1:22 am

Day One:
And it's a GREEN one! I feel so good! I can do this!

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat May 02, 2009 12:10 pm

Thursday - April 30 -GREEN - Success! Day one, the hardest is over and I made it.
Friday - May 1 (day 2) - GREEN - another success! I did make an S event because we had our annual ladies' Spring Banquet at church and I had dessert with my plate of food - but that was all!
Last edited by mimi on Mon May 04, 2009 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mimi

Post by mimi » Sun May 03, 2009 8:14 pm

Saturday, May 3 (day 3): S Day! Had a great day! Ate at McDonald's with two of the grandkids and had a hot fudge sundae for a treat. I feel really good about being back! I know this works!
Last edited by mimi on Mon May 04, 2009 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon May 04, 2009 12:34 pm

Sunday, May 3 - S DAY (day 4) - Good day with eating. My treat was a raspberry truffle blizzard at Dairy Queen. Divine! Ya gotta love S days!

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue May 05, 2009 1:24 pm

Monday, May 4 (day 5) - I had a GREEN day, but it was a battle! I was fine during the day, but after I got home the evening was a real struggle! I know that it will take at least 21 days to establish new habits, especially the habit of NOT eating in response to emotions and circumstances. We began state testing today and my first group of students tested, and it is very stressful for all of us - me included! I wanted to eat so badly last evening! The things that kept me from not eating was the desire to have another green X on my kitchen calendar (I need the visual, and using a Mac, I have never been able to get the Habitcal to work!) and the May challenge. Thank you so much reneew for getting that going - it really saved me last night! Now I can hold my head up and report another green day for May 4!

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed May 06, 2009 2:05 pm

Tues., May 5 (day 6) - Today was another GREEN day and seemingly easier than yesterday! Had a substantial dinner (steak, baked potato and salad) and that makes it easier to resist snacking later in the evening. Evenings are my worst time - I can resist snacking all day long, but for some reason I want to EAT in the evenings. I guess it's because I finally sit down f or the first time all day and maybe watch a little television. My husband snacks while he watches TV and that doesn't help! I think my eating urges are a direct response to the stresses of the day. Once things calm down a little, I'll walk outdoors each evening. Right now, the only exercise I'm getting is 20 minutes on my treadmill or glider each morning before work. I feel good about doing that much and I actually enjoy that time. I bought some DVDs back in the winter to use while exercising and I really like them. I think I got 3 of them for $17 which was a pretty good investment, I think!

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu May 07, 2009 2:17 pm

Wednesday, May 6 (day 7) - GREEN - SUCCESS! One week and I'm okay! Yay! :D This evening was easier in terms of wanting to snack...really didn't have any desire to do so. I'm loving how my kitchen calendar looks!

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon May 11, 2009 2:54 pm

You're turning Green!
Keep it up! It weems to get easier when you keep at it. I used to have VERY colorful calendars, but lately they are mostly green. I may have my first all green month. Keep trying! We can join the 21 day club together!
Please pray for me

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon May 11, 2009 4:19 pm

That would be awesome renee! I will keep that goal in mind!
Now to catch up with my daily check ins:
Thursday, May 7 (day 8) - Green!
Friday, May 8 (day 9) Green! Was worn out after a week of testing, but at least they're over now! I treated myself to a pedicure this afternoon, and boy, did I ever enjoy it! And I will have pretty feet for Mother's Day!
Saturday, May 9 (day 10) - Yellow! Hectic! My husband wants to bring his mother to the house for Mother's Day. She's been in a nursing home since last August and it's hard. So I shopped for my daughter's baby shower coming up (this Friday, the 15th) and cleaned house - of course my DH helped! My youngest son is bringing a new girlfriend to the festivities tomorrow and I wanted everything to look extra nice!
Sunday, May 10 (day 11) - Yellow! What a nice Mother's Day! We had SO much food, but I was able to NOT be an idiot! :D My son-in-law did all the grilling and we enjoyed ourselves tremendously. The grandkids had a ball - they love to get together! We have four now, and a fifth one "in the oven!" My mother-in-law had a great day too and getting her there and back went smoothly.
BUT...got a call after nine last evening that she was being admitted to the hospital thinking she had a blood clot in her lung...turns out after a night of testing that it's not. She has some sort of infection, probably bladder, and needs an antibiotic. Thank goodness! Anyway, that was my weekend. I'm glad I didn't succumb to emotional eating as I am sometimes prone to do!
Am tired today from such a late night so I didn't weigh this morning. I didn't think I could handle numbers from a scale that I didn't want to see! I'd much rather focus on retraining my behaviors and forming new and lasting habits!

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue May 12, 2009 11:54 am

Monday, May 11 (day 12) - RED, bummer! I guess I'm out of the May Challenge... :cry:

The sad truth is I succumbed to a piece of key lime cheesecake left over from Mother's Day after supper last night... my excuse was, poor me...bad day - I'm so tired from the events of the night before...blah, blah, blah. So I ate the cheesecake - not a very big piece, but a desert all the same.
Then I got a hold of myself, gave myself a little shake, and decided that it was just one piece of cheesecake and if I stopped at that, not much damage done. I stopped at that one slip and "hung on" for the rest of the night. I think that effort, for me, was a green one! Actually, I busied myself hunting for the Avatar that I posted to match my new signature. I think they will both help me out in the rough spots as they come up along this journey. And the kitten is so cute! I am a cat lover and the owner of a very rotten, spoiled, but beautiful, cat named Cinder Ella.

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed May 13, 2009 12:29 pm

Tuesday, May 12 - I managed to have a green day today - yay! I also walked outdoors for 20 minutes after dinner in addition to my usual 20 minutes of morning exercise.

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu May 14, 2009 11:52 am

Wednesday, May 13 - Green! Evening was difficult...I wanted to snack...cookies sitting on the buffet from Mother's Day - hope they're soon gone because sweets are my weakness. I should just throw them away, but it's hard for me to be wasteful (drummed into me as a child, I guess!) If I look at it as doing something good for my health then it should be easy! :wink:

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Thu May 14, 2009 4:32 pm

You can stick 'em in the freezer and save them for S Day treats, maybe? Most cookies freeze well and I'm another one who doesn't like to throw away good food.

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Thu May 14, 2009 6:31 pm

Wow, Mimi. Since you were so supportive on my thread I checked to see if you have your own check-in thread. I've just finished reading all of May and I have to say you are unbelievable! Your exercise record rocks! It really inspires me because you clearly have so much going on in your life, yet still stick to No-S and exercise. And I love your quote and avatar--really helpful.
Blogging my way to a healthier lifestyle at http://www.21days-at-a-time.blogspot.com

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu May 14, 2009 8:03 pm

Thanks Vigilant2010! The one small change I made for myself this school year was to commit to 20 minutes of morning exercise each day Mon. - Fri. Small, I know, but a change that I've kept up. My alarm is set for 4:40 each day (normally we get up at 5 a.m. through the week) and I go downstairs before hubby gets up and do my treadmill or glider. I know if I wait until evening to exercise, more often than not it doesn't happen. In the summer I do walk outside for 30 minutes on most days, but while school's in, not on a regular basis. I used to be a member of Curves, and I enjoyed that, but it changed hands and I didn't enjoy the new owner and hours like I had so I dropped my membership. So, for the most part, my 20 minutes in the morning is all I get! It has made a difference in how my clothes fit and the overall tone of my body -- without losing any weight. Now, if I can just get my resolve up and my head straight to keep my N days, my weight should s-l- o-w-l-y start dropping! I've had a BATTLE this week and I don't know why!
You have been encouraging to me Vigilant2010 - thanks so much! Maybe we can cheer each other on!
Mimi

P.S. And Thalia - why didn't I think of the freezer! Geez! Will make my life easier! Thanks a bunch!

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri May 15, 2009 2:33 pm

Thursday, May 14 - Red day - red face :cry: I hate to even admit what I ate, but here goes...cookies...yup, the ones that were sitting on the buffet. Three big giant ones. And that's all I'm going to say, partly because I know how talking about certain foods makes other people hungry for them. I know I can't handle cookies - they should have ALL gone home with someone else on Sunday (part of them did, but that didn't help too much). I could have done a better job resisting them, but I didn't. I could have gotten them into the freezer, but I didn't. What have I learned from this? Those particular kind of cookies can't come into my house anymore - unless it would be on an S day and I only have 1 or 2 in my possession.
I'll continue trying my best...today is a new day...a new chance to keep green before this evening. I will have an S event this evening for my daughter's baby shower. Her little boy is due June 15 (she has a little girl who will be 2 in August). This will be my 5th grandchild and they are all 5 and under! It's so much fun when they all get together! And I want to be around a lot longer for them and the rest of my family, so I need to get my act together...

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri May 15, 2009 6:05 pm

Was just reading under the 21-day thread where Reinhard said that research shows it takes 11 or 12 tries for some people before they change a habit. H-m-m- Out of curiosity I went back through my check-in thread and counted how many times I've stopped and restarted NoS. Sad to say I counted at least 4 tries where I wrote about it and there were probably a few more that I didn't put down in writing...so, I'm getting closer to that number! This time will work for me...I've got my knot tied bigger!!! :lol:

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Fri May 15, 2009 6:30 pm

I stopped and started once. :oops: And gained it all back. I know that this works, so I plan on telling myself that stopping is simply not an option. Marc says that he makes up his mind and doesn't stop until he gets there. Hmmm... Try to think like that. :wink:
Please pray for me

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Fri May 15, 2009 7:20 pm

Yeah, there's always another day ... the important thing is if you have a red day, try not to have 2 in a row ... happened to me twice since I started (Feb. and March) ... 2 red days in a row feels really bad ... Now whenever I have a red day, I try to have 2 or 3 REALLY GREEN days in a row right after the red one ... this way I make up for the day I was bad. (I live the life of a monk during those 2-3 days basically) I am happy that I have my red days under control now, I only had one in the past 3 weeks, a few yellows peppered throughout but mostly green days in general.

A tip to avoid red days, write down what you will be eating and when ... that's what I do. This way I know if it's not on my piece of paper, I ain't supposed to have it, must be a mental thing but it works for me except for the occasional minor slip up but I haven't had too many big ones recently (Last time was on 5-9)

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat May 16, 2009 1:26 am

Thanks Renee and Marc! I appreciate your helpful advice. I like your idea of writing down what I'm going to eat and when, Marc. I'm going to try that especially this weekend with two S days coming up...I don't want them to be S days gone wild.
I made this evening an S event like I mentioned I was going to do and I did just fine. Besides my plate of food, I had a piece of cake and two mints - that was it. I focused on talking to people and watching my little granddaughter so my daughter could enjoy herself.
Again, thanks guys! I'll catch up with you tomorrow!

Cheers! (I just *had* to say that!!)
Mimi :wink:

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Sat May 16, 2009 4:52 pm

Hi, Rewards Buddy!

Hope you're having enjoyable S days this weekend, and I'll be rooting for you and your new flower bed this week!
Blogging my way to a healthier lifestyle at http://www.21days-at-a-time.blogspot.com

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Hey back to ya, Rewards Buddy! That's so sweet of you! I'm pumped for next week already - five days of GREEN and nothing but! And a bicycle for your reward - that's awesome. It'll be your "ranger"cycle! :lol:
Enjoy your beautiful weekend!
Mimi

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon May 18, 2009 5:00 pm

Saturday and Sunday, May 16-17 - S days - successful! I'm bound and determined to stay green all week this week!

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Mon May 18, 2009 5:51 pm

Yes, GREEN! You can do it!

Think green day and green week and green plants (and then flowers of all colors). What kinds of "unusual" flowers are you planning on?

I have some packets of portulaca seeds that I've been meaning to plant. Those are kinda weird. :wink:

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue May 19, 2009 6:22 pm

Monday, May 18 was GREEN! I am so pleased with myself! Four more this week - that's what I'm shooting for!

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Wed May 20, 2009 12:54 am

Woo Hoo, Good Job! You made it through Monday's faculty meeting!

Rock on!

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed May 20, 2009 1:22 am

Yeah, I did! And it really wasn't that hard...I had my mind made up - GREEN and nothing else! This evening I even let my husband eat the last piece of baby shower cake that I brought home. I figured that it wouldn't be very good by Saturday!
Remember, keep thinking - what would Mimi think!? :wink:
Mimi

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed May 20, 2009 3:12 pm

Tuesday, May 19 - another GREEN!

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed May 20, 2009 3:18 pm

To duplicate what some other NoS posters have done, here is my new countdown to the 21-day Club!

1. Saturday, May 16 - yellow S day
2. Sun., May 17 - yellow S day
3. Mon. May 18 - green
4. Tues., May 19 - green
5. Wed., May 20 - I'm still GREEN! I did have a glass of milk before bed because I wanted to eat...very badly...
6. Thurs., May 21 - yellow - see explanation below - does that still keep me in the running for the 21-day club? Is it only red days that cause you to start over?
7. Fri., May 22 - GREEN! I made it through the whole week! We-e-e-e!
8. Sat., May 23 - yellow S day
9. Sun., May 24 - yellow S day
10. Mon., May 25 - holiday S day
11. Tues., May 26 - yellow - S event
12. Wed., May 27 - GREEEEEEEEEN! Feels good to see a change in color!!!
13. Thurs., May 28 - green day - one more N day to go this month!
14. Fri., May 29 - GREEN! Yippee!
15. Sat., May 30 - Yellow S day
16. Sun. May 31 - Yellow S day
17. Mon., June 1 - green
18. Tues., June 2 - green
19. Wed., June 3 - green
20. Thurs., June 4 - greeeeeen!
21. Fri., June 5 - G-R-E-E-N!!!!!! That's it! I'm in!!!!!
Last edited by mimi on Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:38 pm, edited 13 times in total.

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Thu May 21, 2009 4:16 pm

keep going!!!
Please pray for me

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri May 22, 2009 12:37 pm

Thursday, May 21 - Yesterday we had a little going away party for one of our teachers. I thought about staying strictly "vanilla" and not partaking at all...then I thought about all the "explaining" I would have to do and how much they would "push" the stuff on me...so I took a little bit of everything - but not enough to hurt - and decided it could be an "S event." The rest of the afternoon and evening my NoS went on as usual. By making that decision I think I headed off some "stinkin thinkin" that might have resulted from "poor me, I can't eat anything"...and then binged later on. I was happy with my decision and counted the day yellow. I think this is what Marc has been doing to manage his weight loss and it makes sense. At least it helps me to feel like a "normal" person and keeps me on an even keel emotionally - and that 's what I need because I am an emotional eater.

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Fri May 22, 2009 3:56 pm

You tied a knot! And, you're still hanging on! You also have only 2 red days so far this month. You're doing great! Does it feel like it's getting easier?
Please pray for me

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri May 22, 2009 4:58 pm

It does, Renee, it does! And I'll tell you what's the truth... I'm so glad to have all the folks like you and others on these message boards! I read and try to pick up tips and tricks that sound like they work and try them to see if they'll work for me. I hope it will all come together this time and it'll be the last time I'll ever have to lose this weight. I've lost it and found it, and lost it and found it more times than I care to think about...sigh! I'm feeling peaceful and more in control these days...(but there are 13 more school days yet to complete, so maybe I'd better not be *bragging* yet!) :roll:
Thanks for your encouragement!
Mimi

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Fri May 22, 2009 5:09 pm

You did great and of course you're still in the running for the 21 day club! Oh, and the weekend is almost here! Rewards!

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri May 22, 2009 5:21 pm

Yes, yay! Rewards! I'm working on flowers tomorrow - so I have to stay GREEN today! You have helped me tremendously this week Vigilant! I so appreciate it! You be GREEN too! Remember...Rangercycle!

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Sat May 23, 2009 5:49 am

Hoping your Friday went wonderfully and that you are digging in the dirt today! I'm so glad to have helped this week, especially since you reached out to me after my first depressed check-in post and got me going again. I really, really appreciate it and I'll be your cheerleader always because of it!

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat May 23, 2009 11:17 am

You are so sweet :!: And I will be yours! Just think how lovely your house is going to be!
Have a great weekend!
Mimi

mimi

Post by mimi » Sun May 24, 2009 1:51 am

Saturday, May 23 - yellow S dayspent the day getting flowers for outside - that was my reward for keeping the week green or greenish (one yellow mixed in) We spent the rest of the afternoon planting them. Have to start planning a new reward for next week Vigilant!!
Drove to my son's afterwards and helped him set tomato plants out. Had an ice cream cone on the way home and just finished some popcorn.
Tomorrow after church we're going camping and will be back Monday. We'll cook out and make s'mores - that will be my treat! The rest of the time we'll ride the trails on the 4-wheelers. Both my sons are coming too - one has three children and the other is bringing a girlfriend. Should be a lot of fun!

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Mon May 25, 2009 4:50 pm

Oh my gosh that sounds like such a blast! And now I am craving s'mores. :P
The rewards system seemed to work for both of us, which is what I hoped...whatcha shootin' for this week? 8)

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon May 25, 2009 9:24 pm

Sunday and Monday, May 24-25 - Yellow S days!
I don't know yet...I thinking on it :!: I know I want to be focused and have all green (or greenish) days this week! I also decided to weigh at the start of each month and at the end and look at my weight loss on a monthly basis. I think I can handle that...you probably have heard me say that I do not have a good relationship with scales and weighing - it makes my thinking go wacky if I'm not happy with what I see and then that affects how I eat.
Hopefully someone will post a June challenge...the May challenge has really helped me to focus.
What reward are you planning for this week Vigilant? Will it be something with your house? Did you get your bike and ride over the holiday?
The smore's were good - I had one Sunday evening and one this afternoon. Everything else was all good, I'm pleased to report. Good S days - not gone wild, thankfully. I really love NoS and what it's doing for me.

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Tue May 26, 2009 12:00 am

Great job, Mimi! You are Wonder Woman to have stopped at 2 s'mores! heehee! I bet you'll think of something cool, rewards-wise, for the week. And maybe I'll join you and everyone else in the June challenge. That sounds like good motivation.

Here's to another successful week!

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue May 26, 2009 2:26 am

I'll probably issue another challenge in June because it's working for so many! There are even some that are doing the challenge in private with me. :wink: Whatever works!!! It sure helps me to have a group that keeps close tabs on eachother, and visualizing the green month helps me. I'm glad it's helping you too. :!: I just hope that I don't go and have a red day on June 1st because I made it to the end of the month. Even that is way better than the colorful habitcal months I used to have.
Please pray for me

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue May 26, 2009 3:14 pm

I am so glad Renee! The May challenge has kept me focused along with planned rewards at the end of each week for all greens and yellows. Thanks for working with me on that Vigilant! It works!

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed May 27, 2009 12:15 pm

Tuesday, May 26 - Yellow day for me! A bunch of teachers from my school (actually our Reading Club) went up to a friend's cabin way on top of the mountain after school to eat, celebrate the end of the year, and watch Marley and Me (we read the book when it first came out).
One of the teachers there is retiring this year, so we also had a cake for her. I ate a piece of the cake and also 1 and a 1/2 chocolate chip cookies...I've told you before, sweets are my downfall :oops:
But, I decided it was a special occasion and counted my day yellow. I went home afterwards and ate nothing for the remainder of the evening.
In the past, before coming back to NoS, I would have continued to eat for the duration of the evening by taking that cake and cookies as permission to do it, having messed up my "perfect" day. Sigh...Kathleen is right. NoS takes care of disordered eating and then weight loss follows. Which is more important? I think taking care of disordered eating is much more important - at least for me. It's a misery and a nightmare being a disordered eater. Not everyone who is overweight is like that, and I think that's why some folks find NoS so effortless. They might not have any head drama to clean up. All they have to do is clean up their habits.
I am a very peaceful eater when I abide by NoS even though I have made some slight modifications (declaring yellow days that aren't weekends, etc.)
Today, for the FIRST time since coming back April 30, I *feel* THINNER. I was so tempted to get on the scale this morning - but didn't. I know what would happen...if I hadn't lost any weight, I would go off the deep end and eat the rest of the day and probably into the rest of the week. I don't get along with scales. I will continue to judge by my clothes and how they fit (the outfit I have on today feels looser than the last time I wore it - so that's GOOD - regardless of what the scale might reveal).
I'm sticking with my decision to weigh and the end of the month to compare to my starting weight. I'll weigh at the end of June to compare, etc. ONCE a month...I think I can handle that. If not, please pray FOR ME Renee! :lol:

Mimi

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed May 27, 2009 2:48 pm

I will either way! Those scales are mind messers!
Please pray for me

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Thu May 28, 2009 8:43 pm

Stopping with the cake and cookies (for a very legitimate occasion, I might add), and NOT going home and proceeding to raid the fridge, is a huge achievement! At least in my book. You rock.

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri May 29, 2009 1:18 am

Thanks Vigilant! I was very pleased with my changed behavior! :D

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri May 29, 2009 1:37 pm

Wednesday, Thursday - May 27-28 - Green days - one more N day to go in May! Wow, the month went by quickly for me!
After listening to a friend talk about weighing and what Reinhard says about it, I went back to the book this morning and reread the section on putting the scale in perspective. It was a good move. I've been wrestling with what to do about this given my relationship with the scale.
I have decided that I will weigh on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd of each month and take an average as Reinhard suggested. I don't want the scale and its numbers to be my sole metric - I want to focus on days on habit instead. The monthly weighing will be my tool to know whether or not I need to adjust my eating behavior on N days and S days.
My primary focus in June will be on behavior.
Mimi :lol:

guadopt1997

Post by guadopt1997 » Fri May 29, 2009 3:06 pm

Hi Mimi,

Thanks for your suggestions about just focusing on after dinner, which is in fact where I've had trouble the last three days (not counting today).

The weird thing is that when I started no-S back in January (28th), I had no trouble jumping right in. Between that day and May 23, I had only 6 red days and only 2 S days besides the weekends. I've had V-8 drinks on N days about three times. I've lost 35 pounds. And now I'm having trouble after coming back from Florida (3 S-days that were not extreme and one N day on Tuesday) and I'm having trouble.

It's scary because it feels like every other time I've lost weight.

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Fri May 29, 2009 4:17 pm

mimi wrote:My primary focus in June will be on behavior.
Same here Mimi -- I plan to focus on behaviour. May hasn't been a good month for me (mostly REDS) :oops: I'm also going to try and break the day down into 3 sections (Bkfst to lunch; Lunch to supper; Supper to bedtime) and evaluate each of those sections. Hopefully, by doing it this way, a red in the afternoon won't necessarily mean a red in the evening -- at least until the good habits actually become habits. I don't know what else to do ... just keep trying I guess.

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Fri May 29, 2009 5:02 pm

Breaking down the days in parts ... now there's an interesting concept I hadn't thought of, Butter ! ;-) This way you can see later on, when you are most likely to be bad/good and adjust your behavior accordingly. For example if you are usually bad at night, you can save some food from earlier in the day and have it then, this way you avoid eating extra calories, especially from items that are not good for you ...

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

Disclaimer : I am following a more extreme version of the 'No-S' diet.
I made my own personal modifications to the original plan (Diet & Exercise)
What I am doing should not be misinterpreted as being a typical 'No-S' diet experience.
11/01/2008 : 280.0 pounds - - - 05/29/2009 : 215.4 pounds
6 months 29 days / 64.6 pounds

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri May 29, 2009 6:07 pm

Excellent strategy Butterfly, excellent! I'll be anxious to see how that works for you!
And absolutely - keep on trying!

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat May 30, 2009 1:19 pm

Friday, May 29 - the last N day of the month was GREEN for me and I'm so tickled! Today is Saturday, an S day, and I'm going to town to run errands. Along the way, I'll look for a little reward for myself for having a week of greens (and yellows!). It might be a magazine, book, or maybe a little something to wear...but not a food reward - something tangible and lasting :D
Will try to be an urban ranger this evening - looks like it will be a gorgeous day here in Virginia! Maybe I can get hubby to go with me.
I'm pumped for the June challenge Renee!
I'm going to weigh on June 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and take an average. I'll compare that average to beginning weight at the start of May to see if there has been any weight loss to date. If not, it'll be okay and I'll take a hard look at my May HabitCal to see where I can make changes. But, I'll cross that bridge if I come to it! I'll be taking an average weight at the beginning of each month to use as my metric.
Everyone have a great weekend!

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat May 30, 2009 1:28 pm

Just tended to my 21-day-on-habit countdown post and realized that next Friday, June 5 is my 21st day, providing I get all greens and yellows next week. Looking back at the 21 days, I have almost equal number of yellow days as I do green, so it will be interesting to take a look at weight loss. That just might prevent me from seeing any...well, it was me, remember, that said I was going to focus on behavior, not weight change. Someone please remind me of that if I start to whine and have a pity party! :roll:

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun May 31, 2009 9:12 pm

If you manage the habit, that is an ACCOMPLISHMENT - pat yourself on the back whether you lost weight or not.

Results follow behavior. Sometimes there's a lag time, though. So don't give up! :)

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:22 am

Thanks KCCC ! That's just what I needed to hear!

Today was a great S day. Just came home from Dairy Queen where I had today's S :D I enjoyed every bite of that ice cream!

My daughter's baby is due on June 16, but I have a feeling she's not going to go that long. She's a teacher too, and presently worrying that she'll go early and not be able to get her classroom packed up. So this afternoon I went over to her school with her and helped her get some things done. I think she feels better now with a little of the work out of the way. I'll be staying with her for a week or two after the baby comes, so my posting may be a little sporadic during that time! We'll see!

I'm ready for tomorrow and the new challenge! It's a big one too - that'll make it more fun with more folks participating and cheering each other on!

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:27 pm

Hope you rewarded yourself with something lasting for a job well done last week!

(I bought a bunch of bike accessories, so I counted that as last week's reward and decided to aim for the curtains again this week.)

My well wishes for the upcoming birth of your grandchild! :D

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:36 pm

Tuesday, June 2 was a green day! Some of my very expectant daughter's friends took her out to eat last night (her husband was out of town), so I picked up my granddaughter at the sitter, took her to piano lessons with me, and then went through Burger King for supper. We normally don't do fast food - except as an occasional treat for the grandkids - and after reading the recent post about all the additives, I'll rethink that! Eating sunscreen is not my idea of good food! Anyway, hubby and I enjoyed having her with us, as usual - she's just as cute as a little button.
So far June challenge is going well - it's getting easier. The best part is the constant thoughts about food and eating, the endless chatter about what I did right, what I did wrong, beating myself up, etc. is pretty much gone! I love it!

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:33 pm

mimi wrote:So far June challenge is going well - it's getting easier. The best part is the constant thoughts about food and eating, the endless chatter about what I did right, what I did wrong, beating myself up, etc. is pretty much gone! I love it!
It's good to hear that it gets easier. Keep it up!

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:41 pm

It is easier because--the *noise* in my head -- my self-defeating chattering is going away...NoS is so peaceful for me to do. I know that is what I loved about it the most when I first tried it two years ago.

Well...yesterday, Wed., June 3 was a green day for me and a FUN day on the boards!

I ordered a jade ring (stay green=NoS) with a little elephant on it (elephants=never forget, so I will constantly be reminded what I'm doing!) This will be a *special* reward for me this week, a milestone if you will, because tomorrow is my 21st successful day - providing today and tomorrow are green as well!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:58 pm

I LOVE your idea of a little jade ring with an elephant - how creative! :)
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:36 pm

mimi wrote:It is easier because--the *noise* in my head -- my self-defeating chattering is going away...NoS is so peaceful for me to do. I know that is what I loved about it the most when I first tried it two years ago.
Isn't that a wonderful reward in itself? :)

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:58 pm

Yes KCCC - for me that is the best reward of all. My *diet behavior critic* has been silenced...what a nightmare it is living with one of those day-in-and-day-out. Mine never shut up! I think that if I can stick No-S as a new way of life, then I won't have to be bothered by the head noise/beating myself up, etc. any more!

Here are the rings I found, if anyone's interested...

http://www.palmbeachjewelry.com/shoppin ... Search.y=0

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:18 pm

Thursday, June 4 - green day again for me! One more, today, and I'll have 21 successful days behind me! Then I can join the 21-day Club! Yay!
I'm treating my daughter to a pedicure after school today, in case she goes into labor over the weekend...Sunday is a full moon!

Recent observation: I've noticed that I am getting full lately, eating less food.

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:42 pm

Wow, what great days you have lately!!! Congratulations on all of it!!! I'll pray for your daughter... I remember all too well, the labor!
Please pray for me

guadopt1997

Post by guadopt1997 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:28 pm

MIMI!

Congratulations on making it to 21!!! (I know today is 21, but how could you not make it?!?)

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:37 pm

Thanks, for your encouragment everyone! It keeps me going! The pedicures were lovely and Dana was so appreciative - the girl who was working on her was VERY careful about massaging her feet - evidently there is a spot that can put you into labor - who knew! We enjoyed them tremendously after our stressful weeks - ending school and all. She teaches in the neighboring county and they finish up Tuesday - we finish on Thursday. Whoopee!
So Friday, June 5 was GREEN for me - my entrance into the 21-Day Club! Woo hoo! I got an email confirmation that my jade ring shipped, so that's my first NoS milestone reward. For the time being, I'll just look at my pretty toes :)
Have a great exempt weekend everyone!
Choose some great treats for yourselves - especially you, Vigilant! :D

Mimi :D

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:31 pm

Congratulations on your entrance into the 21 day club! Good work! Have a lovely weekend, Mimi. :D

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:23 pm

Congratulations Mimi!

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:59 am

Great job, Mimi.

21 days, special ! You should be proud of yourself.

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

Disclaimer : I am following a more extreme version of the 'No-S' diet.
I made my own personal modifications to the original plan (Diet & Exercise)
What I am doing should not be misinterpreted as being a typical 'No-S' diet experience.
11/01/2008 : 280.0 pounds - - - 06/05/2009 : 214.0 pounds
7 months 5 days / 66.0 pounds

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:24 am

Thank you Vigilant, Buttlerfly, and Marc! I really appreciate your kind words and encouragement! It keeps me going!
Saturday was a good, sane, S day for me. Hubby and son installed a new ceiling fan in our bedroom which took up most of the morning. Went to a baby shower in the afternoon. Our five year old grandson spent the night with us. We all went for a walk after supper and then to the local ice cream stand. We all got ice cream cones, and it was sooo good!
Today was a good S day too! All the grandkids were here this afternnoon. My daughter wanted to go to her classroom to finish up report cards in case the full moon sends her to the hospital tonight! We'll see! I need to get my grades done too.
All in all, it was a very enjoyable weekend!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:17 am

Congratulations Mimi!!!!
Great work!!! :D
8) Debs x
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:47 am

Thanks Debs - your encouragement means a lot to me!
No baby! Full moon had no effect on her! I know she's bummed, but I'm relieved because I want to finish up the school year and then go stay with them and help out! Once I leave school, I don't want to have to go back.
I'm working for all greens this week, and this will be the true test. The kids tend to bring in lots of food (junk!) this week, with different teachers having celebrations and all. They come door to door, literally, bringing around goodies. I've already prepared my speech: "Oh, thank you so much! I just finished a treat, so I'll save this for later!"
I will probably take an S day (or S event) on Friday because it's our end-of-the-year picnic/faculty meeting. If I plan ahead what to do, I'll be okay!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:59 am

Sounds like a nice time of your life right now! Working in the same school as your daughter, a new grand kid on the way, the end of the school year... Have fun today at the picnic!
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:54 pm

Thanks Nichole! It IS a grand time in my life - new babies are such a blessing - but especially having the feeling that I am getting my eating habits under control.

In the past, no matter how wonderful things were at the moment, there was always something destructive going on in my head in the form of negative self-talk, even if I was on a *diet.* That, thankfully, disappears with NoS. I move peacefully from meal to meal on N days, knowing the rules and not having to question anything I eat. I can feel like a *normal* person, and not a freak having to eat *special* foods or having to count or keep track of what I'm eating. I can enjoy the company of others at a meal, at any restaurant, and no one has to know that I'm on a *diet.* However, I don't think of NoS as a diet, but rather a lifetime way to handle meals, sweets, and snacks.

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:45 pm

mimi wrote:However, I don't think of NoS as a diet, but rather a lifetime way to handle meals, sweets, and snacks.
I so much agree with what you're saying. Everytime I have gone on a diet in the past, in the back of my mind, I've always said that I don't think I could spend the rest of my life counting, measuring, etc. -- so I think I ended up sabotaging it even before I started it. With NoS, even though I haven't really lost any weight, I know that if I persist in making better food choices and start exercising regularly, I will start seeing results, and I'll have no problem following this for the rest of my life.

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:11 pm

I could say that I've *only* lost 1.7 since I returned to NoS a month ago...but I'm not going to look at it in that way. In 10 months time that would snowball into a 17 pound loss - and that's substantial. NoS is not painful at all, and I think over time we'll see good losses Butterfly...we just have to keep at it!

Mimi :D

~emilyr

Post by ~emilyr » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:24 pm

Mimi ~ You have such an excellent attitude :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Congrats on 21 days and an emerald ring ~ too fun :D :D I have hit 21 days and I'm not quite sure if the habit is completely in-grained (sp), maybe I should get the ring to prove it is.......hmmmm

Thanks for bringing me back to reality with my past weekend blunders, it really is a matter of focus and planning before you begin socializing and remembering that it doesn't mean the flood gates open ~ thanks!

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:35 pm

21 days!!! Have you posted your membership on the log? Woohoo... congratulations!!!
Please pray for me

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:49 am

Yes, I did! I'm officially a member!! :D Thanks guys!

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:08 pm

Well Emily...not quite an *emerald* ring, but it's GREEN - jade - which is not as costly as an emerald. I think I'll save that for a big milestone...like maybe a one-year anniversary with NoS. Anyway, I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my jade ring...and the arrival of my new grandbaby. Could be any time now! Phone rang early this morning and I went running to get it yelling, "The baby! It's the baby!" But it wasn't... :( ...it was my daughter, but just calling me to ask me if I wanted a starter of friendship bread! Hmmm...must be the pregnancy hormones! Who else thinks of things like that at that time of morning! :roll: (I did tell her NO! I don't want it around through the week to tempt me!)
So yesterday, Monday, June 8, was a green day for me. I did waiver a little last evening because I was really hungry at about 9:30. So I poured a big glass of milk and sipped at that. It satisfied me and I went to bed not long after that. It really is getting so much easier for me - especially in the evenings.