After The 21 Days

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

peetie

After The 21 Days

Post by peetie » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:06 pm

I realize this question is rather premature (but atleast optimistic!) since I am only on Day 8 of NoS, but once we hit our 21 day mark, are we supposed to stop counting? Or is there another frame of reference we adhere to? Just wondering. I wouldn't want to make this too simple now!

Peetie

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:46 pm

You can do whatever works for you. When I finished my 21-days, I set up another 21 days of portion control at dinner (eating off a smaller plate). When that one's up, and if I've succeeded, then I will probably do something else positive for the next 21 days.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:20 pm

Hi Peetie,

Here are some ideas:

1) If you don't feel securely habituated after 21 days, by all means, continue posting daily. 21 days isn't some magic boundary that will ensure success. It's approximately how long it takes for most people to form a habit. I give this absurdly specific number because specificity is more inspiring than vagueness, it's about the right length of time, and it's a numeralogically satisfying number.

2) After you've build the habit, success is now assumed, it's the default. If you're really secure, it's no longer "information," and so not really worth posting. But funny stuff and failures are still news. Continue to post these.

3) Long term success is still news. Post at maybe weekly or monthly intervals just to let us know you're still with it. You get the gentle pressure of still having an audience without the hassle of daily posting, and the audience gets inspiration from seeing that rarest of creatures: long term diet success.

You can also use the structure of 21 habit building days to add on new habits or finesses, as Jan is doing (just be careful not to overload yourself).

Hoping this becomes a big issue for you soon!

Reinhard

peetie

Post by peetie » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:40 pm

Thanks so much Reinhard and Jan,
I do tend to get caught up in the details. Overthinker....thy name is Peetie!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:10 pm

Sweetie Peetie that "is'th" thine name! :lol:
Guess what? According to TCM (my cool pastime) the Spleen is the dwelling place of our cogitative "mind"... Spleen is the Yin partner with the Stomach....

Thinking, overthinking, overworrying, etc... This is typical of a Spleen disharmony... Oh and the taste craving of someone who has a Spleen imbalance is, guess what...
Not salty, not spicy, not sour,,,,,
Its sweet.....

We all have to stop thinking so much! LOL... Then we'll really be able to crush those cookie cravings!
As Bobby McFerrin, and probably Confucious said it too,,,,
Don't Worry! :wink:
Love,
8) Deb

peetie

Post by peetie » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:22 am

Deb, Any tips on how to get the spleen in harmony? I could use all the help I can get.

Peetie

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:58 am

Have more fun and try to minimize the emotion of "Worry" or "Pensiveness"....
Simply put, too much worry and overthinking will burn out it's element "Earth", which is made up of the Stomach and Spleen...

The Mother of Earth is Fire, which is comprised of the Heart/Pericardium, Small Intestine/and something mysterious called the Triple Heater (believed to be the chief component in regulation of our immune system...)
So, since Fire creates Earth, you want to have more Fire in your life...
The emotion of the Heart and Fire element is "Joy"...

Have more fun and worry less
(I know, easier said than done....)
Excessive studying and use of the mind can seriously cause a Spleen imbalance.. It's almost imposed on full time serious students... Always tired and drained from all that mental work.... Also, when one is a caregiver, and cares often for others, almost to the exclusion of their own needs, that too will drain the Earth element.

Also, Peetie, don't assume that you definitely have a Spleen disharmony... But here are some general indicators:
General fatigue, especially upon waking
Anemia
Easily bruised
Serious sweet tooth
Varicosities
Dampness
Bad breath... (that's actually more stomach...)
Weakness in limbs...

Then there's always things like massage, acupuncture, and healthy diet and exercise... I assume you partake in at least two of these...
Indulge in sweet things that are healthy for you, and loads of fruits and veggies that are orange... Yams, Squash, Canteloupe...
Honestly, these are just general suggestions, but if you go to a qualified practitioner they can prescribe herbs and really diagnose you properly with a tongue diagnosis, and pulse diagnosis....
See if there are any good intergrative health care facilities you can contact who may refer you to a holistic practitioner trained and seasoned in these Traditional Chinese Medicine techniques....
But in the meantime,,,
Don't worry be happy!
Love,
8) Deb

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:41 am

Fire, earth, spleen...sounds like a call for Qigong (chi kung).

If you would like a simple routine that will get all this in balance, and if you don't have a qigong class conveniently handy, try one of these:

5 Element Qigong, by Jamie Moffett

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... s&n=507846

or

Eight Simple Qigong Exercises for Health: The Eight Piece Brocade, by Jwing-Ming Yang

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... s&n=507846

There is a DVD that goes with this second book. I would highly recommend the standing exercises in this book.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:28 pm

Yes Qi Gong is a great way to help balance and move your energy...
I found it pretty crucial to have an instructor who could give me initial feedback on my posture but then I was able to practice on my own...
Those books seem good Jan.. I'll see if they are at Barnes and Noble. I'm interested in seeing that 8 step qigong...
The text we used for reference at the Swedish Institute of massage, was excellent... Very simple and clear, though the pictures are somewhat basic... It's called "Change the Picture"
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 96-1277521

Have fun getting your Chi on a spree!!!
(ps.. It took me about 5 or 6 months of regular practice to really alter my immune system.... I always felt immediate benefits though, and pretty charged up and great, each time I practiced... Though after 6 months I no longer suffered any colds, or earaches or headaches.... I didn't get sick for a really good run....)
Peace and Love,
8) Deb