sugar in certain foods.

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

chiquitabanana

sugar in certain foods.

Post by chiquitabanana » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:27 am

Hey guys i have a question about sugar in certain foods like baked beans, ketchup, cereal, yogurt and so on. Should i avoid these or is the no sugar rule for deserts only? Thanks for the information in advance.
Heath starts in our heart and mind.

phano

Post by phano » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:39 am

Hi there & welcome

Actually it's "no sweets" that you need to watch out for, meaning cookies, cakes that sort of thing. I don't think ketchup or baked beans are covered there. Yogurt and cereal are probably okay for the most part too, though I would be careful of some of the stuff masquerading under these labels. Lucky Charms, Trix yogurt, really just junk food trying to look healthy. Ultimately, getting rid of the mega offenders will deal with most of the problem.

Good luck!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:45 pm

chiquitabanana,

The rule is actually "no sweets," not "no sugar." Basically you just have to avoid the really egregious offenders, things that actually TASTE sweet. You don't have to make yourself crazy checking ingredients and harassing waiters. A good rule of thumb is, "it's an S if it's sweet enough to be dessert." Yes, there is a lot of stealth sugar in prepackaged products, but you get rapidly diminishing returns for your attention (a precious and limited commodity). The obvious stuff is PLENTY (and easy to identify). You get a lot of bang for your attention buck.

Reinhard

chiquitabanana

Post by chiquitabanana » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:51 pm

Thanks for the responses Phano and Reinhard. I get it now just not sweet desert type foods. Thanks again.
Heath starts in our heart and mind.