Food Fund Raiser

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

sibyl

Food Fund Raiser

Post by sibyl » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:39 pm

So, there's this charity drive going on at work to buy backpacks full of school supplies and clothes for disadvantaged kids going back to school in September.
Unfortunately, it seems to be one long bake sale. Strawberry shortcakes, cookies, crumb cakes, squares, brownies, etc., etc. There was even a 'make your own dessert plate' thing with store bought yummies from local German and Polish bakeries. Its been a terrible temptation, both because of the food and because the money raised is going to a good cause.
So far I've held fast. I did buy a recipe card and have given a couple of dollars otherwise, but not taken any treats. Its still hard.
However, next week one of the departments is hosting a "Salad Day" instead of a bake sale. The idea is that they're going to have a bunch of ready-made salad (leaf, pasta, fruit), plus a bunch of salad ingredients so people can 'make their own'. I would definately be up for that - I can skip bringing my own lunch and happily indulge in yummy salads for charity.

Any way, I'm sharing this in this thread rather than my person one because I thought this was a great idea for a fund raiser, that still involves food (everyone loves food), but helps people avoid sweets and gets all the Dieters (No-S sensible people and the fad-of-the month people) invovled. I mean, its salad!
"I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's a bunny with a pancake on its head".

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:42 pm

Nice work, Sibyl. Stuff like this is great grist for the excuse mill, but there's usually a way around these things and you've found it here. You can always blame the world, but if you look, you'll usually find a way in which it can accommodate you.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:44 pm

Good luck Sibyl!!! I hope you can be a paragon of Willpower passing by all those temptations... Oooh... just look the other way!!!
Peace and Love and Salad!
8) Deb

fawnmarie

Post by fawnmarie » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:02 pm

That is a good idea.

When I was in the AF, our squadron would hold a chili cookoff to raise money for local kids charities. A bunch of folks would bring in a big pot of homemade chili and we'd sell it at lunch time, and managed to make quite a few $$ for it. And of course, we'd have a contest for the chili makers to inspire them to make it and bring it in - nothing like touching the old ego.

Fawn