Tuck Bales

Here you'll find a discussion thread for each of the canonical and major non-canonical shovelglove moves. If you have questions or comments about any of these moves, just update the existing discussion for it. If you have a new move, add a new discussion (preferably with the name of your new move in the title). Ideally there will be just one discussion thread per move that everyone adds to, but it's no tragedy if a little bit of redundancy creeps in.
reinhard
Site Admin

Tuck Bales

Post by reinhard » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:44 pm

Post any questions/comments/concerns you have about this move here.

Official movement description at:

http://shovelglove.com/movements/tuck_bales/

WinstonWolf

Post by WinstonWolf » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:57 pm

I wanted to add a variant that I do when I do "tuck bales", as doing it with just arms seems... slightly off to me. Then again, I didn't actually read your description of "tuck bales" before I did it myself, so I did it the way I thought I should do it, and still do.

I actually do these as squats. That is, I squat down and "pick up" the bale off the ground (hammer horizontal, to represent the bale), then stand and put it "on the second floor of the barn". (Essentially, I don't do it as fast as you do it in the video, as each squat isn't necessarily done ballistically, but I end with the same arm raise movement).

Thought I'd share.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:54 pm

Ah, a compound move.

Sounds very metaphorically appropriate -- and hard.

I often do squats as part of my routine, but as a separate movement, without the sledgehammer ("fertilize the fields" :-)). I guess I'm worried that doing too much at once will make me dangerously sloppy with the hammer.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:29 pm

A promising tuck bale mod was posted here:

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=47897
Also I get a lot better burn when I push the hammer up at an angle
when doing the "bale" movement. Think of the Letter "M"
My personal take from sporadic occasional experimentation is:
I've noticed the extra burn of diagonal bale tucking too, but find it VERY hard to do it stably with the 20 pounder.
But it could be that stability comes with practice, and/or that it's not such an issue with less monstrous weights.

Reinhard

Petros

Post by Petros » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:07 pm

I sometimes tuck bales kneeling, so I don't have to worry about smashing anything.

mattman

Post by mattman » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:00 pm

I get the idea of "tucking the bales," an i think it's a cool exercise. i like to call it "hooking the ceiling." As in using a pike pole to "hook the ceiling" an open it up to look for extension overhead.
two wrongs don't make a right.
But three lefts do.

sanaeerumey

Post by sanaeerumey » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:01 am

Petros wrote:I sometimes tuck bales kneeling, so I don't have to worry about smashing anything.https://www.giannasgrille.com/phenq-review/

It was all set and meant to be kneeling and so that...