OK - I registered here - totally new

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

no-s-diet

OK - I registered here - totally new

Post by no-s-diet » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:13 pm

Hi. I'm so new to this that I don't even do the program yet LOL!

Is it really as simple as no sweets, no seconds, no dieting on Sats. and Suns.? Is there more I need to know? Help, please - thanks in advance.

JWL

Post by JWL » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:31 pm

It really is that simple. I've only been on it for 3 weeks, but already I'm feeling a difference.

My own path is this: when I gained all of my weight I was compulsively overeating (related to depression) and I had no freaking clue about nutrition. When I snapped out of my depression several years back I educated myself about nutrition. I know eat very healthily, I just eat a lot (or did until 3 weeks ago).

From about 7 years ago until about 2 years ago, I dropped about 70 lbs, which puts me a bit less than halfway toward my idealized weight. Though I'm hesitant to speak this way, I'm not really motivated by numbers on a scale. But I do still have too much fat on my body, though at least now there is quite a but of muscle under it. But I've been at this plateau for about 2 years; I feel healthy, I'm strong, I can walk all day long, but I still have too much fat. And it's because I eat too much.

The value of No-S, from where I stand, is it's novel approach to portion control. I find it unsurprising that Reinhard is a programmer by trade; if you think of diet as an algorithm, the No-S diet is a very elegant and simple algorithm conducive to sustainable health and weight loss, without ruining one's relationship to appreciating food.

I find that I really enjoy my meals, sometimes more than I used to, because I make it a point to fill my plate with tasty and nutritious things, and to enjoy them to the fullest since I know I won't be eating again until the next meal.

So said another way, I've done groundwork in terms of learning nutrition over the past several years. And now I'm combining that with healthy portion control. And as my body adapts to this new amount of food, I feel fantastic! And that's really what it's all about.
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:24 pm

Welcome, no-s-diet (now that you've taken that login, you'll have to stick with it!). You forgot the "no snacks." Freudian slip? Be careful, that's the one people seem to have the most trouble with!

James put it beautifully (I especially like the algorithm bit). What you eat matters a lot in terms of taste and health, but the biggest problem in terms of weight management (which is why I assume you're here) is simply how much. They're all three important issues to think about, but I think you'll have the most success on each score if you think of them somewhat separately. No-s does it's job regulating quantity without obtruding on these other qualitative considerations. In a way, it helps them, by putting them on a stage. So while it's possible to make bad qualitative choices while conforming to no-s, I think you're less likely to.