Howdy All!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

How much weight have you lost following No S

Poll ended at Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:45 am

7 lbs - 14 lbs
No votes
14 lbs - 28 lbs
38%
28+ lbs
50%
Stayed the same
13%
Gained weight
No votes

Total votes: 8

Mustloseweight

Howdy All!

Post by Mustloseweight » Wed May 20, 2015 11:45 am

I don't know about the rest of you but I am definitely getting nowhere fast. Haven't looked on the boards in a while but my weight is stationary, my habits terrible and activity non-existent. At least I am not fooling myself though! I have bought a fitbit - need to start using it with a more sincere attitude!

How everyone is well.

Anne
September 2017 - Starting weight: 19st 9lbs
March 2018 - 17st 2lbs
July 2018 - 16st 4lbs
July 2020 - 17st 10lbs 😟
Target Weight: 11 stones

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Wed May 20, 2015 12:26 pm

No-s is slow weight loss at the best of times so if your habits are not in place it isn't surprising that your weight is stationary. But on the bright side, at least it isn't increasing. Don't you think right now is a fine time to re-start? :wink: What would you like to address first? Eating habits or activity

Are you able to get a handle on what specifically is holding up your commitment? We might be able to offer suggestions if we know what area you are trying to focus on.

In the meantime, stopping back in on the boards is a fine 1st step :) good luck today.

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Wed May 20, 2015 7:38 pm

Ohhhhh a fitbit ....NICE ! My son got me a jawbone ( same thing really ) and I was very motivated this winter....I got downright competitive with myself! All my good habits have gone by the wayside recently but I have done a little something everyday and yesterday I put the jawbone back on. Maybe you could do the same ?! Call it a journey to get motivated. Write down something you are going to do...just one thing...like maybe you don't have seconds....do that for a few days then maybe the next step is just eat three meals no sweets...or 15 minutes of exercise...

You get the picture. I find once I start doing SOMETHING , the somethings start to add up until I'm working the plan ! I hope that helps...good luck...and btw I have been trying to catch my motivation too and this is the way I get back on track !
Kindness is the only way.

Mustloseweight

Post by Mustloseweight » Wed May 20, 2015 8:23 pm

gingerpie wrote:No-s is slow weight loss at the best of times so if your habits are not in place it isn't surprising that your weight is stationary. But on the bright side, at least it isn't increasing. Don't you think right now is a fine time to re-start? :wink: What would you like to address first? Eating habits or activity

Are you able to get a handle on what specifically is holding up your commitment? We might be able to offer suggestions if we know what area you are trying to focus on.

In the meantime, stopping back in on the boards is a fine 1st step :) good luck today.
My eating habits are off the scale. I know I should not make excuses but the fact is that I am on three types of medication notorious for gaining weight, beta blockers, antidepressants and mood stabilisers. This, plus my underlying anxiety disorder/depression/mood disorder make me tired, lacking in motivation and in more recent years I have become agrophobic and stopped going out unless I get there door to door by car and then I have suffered the most horrendous sweating panic attacks that leave me literally soaked with long hair looking like I just got out the shower. This has meant I have had to give up my teaching post and have stopped going out and doing any activity. Today, I didn't even have the energy to dust and vacuum and do my basic daily chores, I just ended up sleeping by midday.

My dream is not to have a flash car, or big house, loads of money or anything like that but that I could go outside and run or jog again. I used to run slowly twenty years ago and loved it.

Eating wise - the goal is to know what it feels like to be full then stop eating. I am so greedy it is ridiculous.
March 2018 - 17st 2lbs
July 2018 - 16st 4lbs
July 2020 - 17st 10lbs 😟

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu May 21, 2015 8:49 pm

Hi Anne,
your post really got to me.
This sounds a) the opposite of fun and b) medical at least in terms of sleepiness and eating. I'm not sure NoS will be able to help you easily although I am fairly sure that it won't hurt.
When I am sleepy I eat so if those meds make you sleepy it's tough.
I suggest you start with exercise you can do at home and you start with 1 minute of exercise? Also, maybe call your doctor?
Best wishes!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu May 21, 2015 10:39 pm

Good to hear from you and sorry to hear you're in a tough place.

Getting at least some movement in each day will be a huge plus for your health and mood, and it's a very common prescription for anyone suffering with depression or anxiety disorders.

Unfortunately, you can't outrun your fork. It's important to be realistic - your weight won't change much if your eating habits don't, although exercise alone will help your mood, motivation, and probably influence you to eat better (at least a little bit).

If you're anything like me, I'd let go the idea of "full enough" or "being greedy" or whatever, and just fill a reasonable sized plate with decent food three times a day. Your signal to start is meal time and your signal to stop is when the plate is empty. This takes a lot of the thinking and worrying out of the process, which to me is what No S is about. Less thinking about food, appetite, weight etc and more thinking about other stuff.

I second the suggestion of talking to your doctor. Medications are important to manage your symptoms, but side effects need to be considered and managed too - that isn't minor or an excuse at all! This is probably an annoying thing to ask if you already have a full list of appointments, but do you have an ongoing relationship with a doctor or counsellor to manage your overall situation? Because not being able to leave the house or get out of bed are severe symptoms in my book.

Finally, sorry to be so long winded, but please be kind to yourself. You're not terrible or greedy or any other negative label, you are simply coping in a difficult situation. And starting from here, you're going to move in a good direction as best you can. That's all any of us can do.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sat May 23, 2015 12:00 pm

Hi, I have some thoughts about your situation but I'm leaving for a weekend trip this morning and don't have time to post them all. I did want to give you some encouragement before I head out and let you know I'll post a longer response when I'm able.

In the meantime, I incourage you to try some small movement/exercise goal over the next week. there are a lot of videos on utube (or try searching your browser) if you don't have any other ideas. You goals can be very very simple.
For example:
Day 1: find (and bookmark) a video you feel you could try. -try searching for key words such as "streaching, easy, 5 minute routine - that's it for day 1.
Day 2: gather any materials you may need: Mat, towel, choose your space and schedule your exercise time.
Day 3: watch the video in its entirety
Day 4: try one for 5 minutes - count it as a success if you do any ( and I mean any . . . Even just a few seconds)
Day 5: try another for 5 minutes
Day 6 & 7 rest days. That's it for week one.

please do remember to be kind to yourself. Baby steps work. I promise. - but you do have to take them. :wink: [/i]

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon May 25, 2015 4:24 pm

My heart goes out to you! I'm a little luckier with my weight and ability to socialize, but I relate, believe me. My social life is practically nil. With regard to sticking to No S, I've had a LOT of "I just don't care anymore," and "It's not worth it" thoughts in the past few months and more mildly for about a year. It is so hard to take seriously that I KNOW those thoughts are just generated by the brain as a way to get the food for the "reward" center. I put it in quotation marks because it's really a misnomer. It's the center where you never get enough to satisfy. It keeps seeking reward but it never comes from the sources we use. And I can't depend on feeling oodles better like I used to. Now THAT was a reward. Now I have to depend more on the psychological reward of just knowing that I'm doing the best for myself when I eat my moderate meals. It pains me to say that I'm far from mastering that.

The lethargy, etc. is the same thing. I know I can't wait for inspiration or desire, but I sit. If you see this today, let's you and I pledge ONE positive thing we'll do to support ourselves in eating, movement, or any other smart activity. Or maybe just compassion!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Mustloseweight

Thanks Everyone!

Post by Mustloseweight » Tue May 26, 2015 3:42 am

I really appreciate each and every word that people reply with. So thank you for all your words. I have had a big weekend this weekend, I had been using Nicotine Replacement Therapy for about ten years since quitting smoking and then someone introduced me to a vapouriser so that I could vape rhubarb and custard flavoured eliquid with nicotine in. With my propensity for depression and anxiety, mood swings etc this was a really big step backwards as I was instantly hooked. In January I knocked it on the head for health reasons because it looks bad around my daughter who is 10 and health wise there is no long term research available yet on how vaping affects lungs etc etc etc. From where I am coming at this from, giving up anything that involves dopamine receptors is AAARRRGGGHHHHHHHH!

I had these nicotine lozenges and since Jan this year substituted vaping for these lozenges, slowly cutting down the strength of them gradually. This weekend my lowest strength lozenges ran out and another box would be £16 GBP (or $27.42 according to Google!!!) and I thought - I don't need these anymore - I know that I won't vape. That was Friday just gone. Today is Tuesday and I am four days truly lozenge and nicotine free! Eating has been whatever it has had to be to not get more lozenges but I am so chuffed I have done it.

I joined Weightwatchers Online for some help with what I should be eating and the quantities as with No S there is room to seriously defeat the object of the whole philosophy, totally sabotage weightloss and yet stay within the rules. I have no concept whatsoever of healthy portions - when I pointed the cheese I would put on a sandwich it would turn out to be about half of what I should be eating for the whole day! OOOOPs! It is like I need to have my three meals a day but right now also some coaching on what to put on my plate to actually lose weight, eat healthier and also some incentivised scheme of activity tracking to encourage me to move more. I am going to keep using it to help me realign my NO S compliance which I think Reinhard would agree is so close to bordering on taking the Mick and being an idiot that it has lost the whole spirit of his system.

I think that I have been on the diet mill for so long, meal replacements, no carb, etc etc etc I genuinely do not know how to eat properly anymore. I feel that I need re-educating completely from scratch on what constitutes a healthy plate as I don't think Reinhard meant, that without vertical stacking a person would lose weight by filling the biggest plate available with full fat mature cheddar cheese sandwiches!

My eating is rubbish right now so I will ditch cheese sandwiches for ham salad sandwiches and just start putting on a DVD to exercise like Gingerpie suggests each day. I will have to start from here and move ever so slowly forward from there.

Thanks everyone xxxx
March 2018 - 17st 2lbs
July 2018 - 16st 4lbs
July 2020 - 17st 10lbs 😟

osoniye

Re: Thanks Everyone!

Post by osoniye » Tue May 26, 2015 5:45 am

mustloseweight wrote:Today is Tuesday and I am four days truly lozenge and nicotine free!... I joined Weightwatchers Online for some help with what I should be eating and the quantities.... I will ditch cheese sandwiches for ham salad sandwiches and just start putting on a DVD to exercise like Gingerpie suggests each day.
Hi Anne- It's great to see you're making headway in so many areas, and you sound so much more encouraged in the tone of this post. I wish you the best in keeping away from all nicotine, and in using WW as a stepping stone to healthy moderate eating. I trust all these positive changes will give you some momentun to keep progressing in the various areas of your life!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:19 am

Most women definitely cannot fill their plates with mostly dense foods- read lots of cheese on a sandwich- and still lose weight. I have to admit I learned about meals that were quite satisfying while doing the 40/30/30 plan about 15 years ago. They were basically a protein serving, a couple of servings of a higher fiber starch, greens and a veg, and maybe a fruit, plus about 100 calories of high quality fat like walnuts, avocado, olives, or analogous oil I later did WW and did find that those meals also fit into the points system quite well. I felt I ate much nicer and fuller meals than many others. However, I still binged and cheated. When I started No S, those meals were the guidelines, though I might exchange the protein, dense carb, and fat with a piece of cheese pizza and some cottage cheese plus half a plate of salad. Just read in Brian Wansink's most recent work Slim by Design that he recommends the Half Plate rule; half a plate of veg, salad, and fruit, plus half a plate of anything else you want. I'd bet the volume of the veg side should be greater than the dense side.

Just keep going! You don't have to get the ratios right overnight. You deserve real food! And peace.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)