Everyday Systems
Home * Discussion Home
No S Diet * Shovelglove * Urban Ranger
HabitCal

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterJoin! It's free and easy. 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you break your fast?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> No S Diet General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you eat for breakfast?
Poptarts, cold cereal, pancakes and waffles or other sugary stuff
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Hot cereal or non-sugary cold cereal such as raisin bran
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Eggs and toast, eggs and bacon, savory french toast, or similar
26%
 26%  [ 4 ]
Hash browns or fried potatoes (with or without eggs or bacon)
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Something else (please post what (: )
46%
 46%  [ 7 ]
I skip breakfast
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 15

NoS-er

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:33 pm    Post subject: How do you break your fast? Reply with quote

_______

Last edited by NoS-er on Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
osoniye

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, NoS-er,
This is a fun question/poll.
I answered the poll as "something else" because that is what I do most often. I often have just whatever sounds good out of the fridge, leftovers or something spread on toast or a handfull of peanuts/other nuts. Sometimes I have oatmeal, but that is seldom. Sometimes I have a fruit smoothie, with or without protein powder. Once in a blue moon, pancakes. I tend to skip breakfast a few times per week, but eat something more often than not.
vmsurbat

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for eggs+toast because that is the basis of my favorite breakfast but instead of adding bacon or potatoes to it, I almost always include veggies in some way. Egs.: sauteed mushrooms, reheated leftovers veggies from dinner (I try to have l/o veggies just for this purpose), frozen spinach thawed (yay for the microwave!) and mixed with a bit of seasonings and cream or sour cream, or perhaps a sliced tomato dressed with salt/evoo.

Note: I'm not actually a fan of frittatas/quiche where all the goodies are mixed in with the eggs (I think it muddies the flavors), so these veggies are on the side or underneath a fried/poached/scrambled egg.

Mmmm. Good thing it is time for breakfast!
oolala53

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The foundation is usually a mocha. The things I chew can vary a lot, but it's rarely the volume of even my two fists. This has evolved over a period of years. It used to be mostly hot or cold non-sweetened cereal, fruit, and nuts OR eggs and veggies, maybe toast.

There is no S better than Vanilla No S.
ironchef

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son loves porridge, so we all just have that for simplicity. I usually add something to mine, e.g. fruit and some nuts or seeds, peanut butter, some sour cream or thick yoghurt.
maniuni

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually a frittata along with some fresh veggies/ ham with mayo/ tuna mixed with cream cheese and fresh herbs.
uschi

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good topic! I especially like that it's framed as breaking the fast-- I sure look forward to breakfast since I don't do evening snacks as a rule.

I basically have a smoothie and toast, sort of an intelligent default.

The smoothie is based on yogurt/banana/some kind of green/some other fruit on hand (frozen cranberries, something seasonal or that needs to be used up)/water or coconut water. The smoothie is not very sweet on its own, but I usually add an Emergen-C packet which makes it just a bit sweeter and zingier.

The toast is a traditional homemade Euro style half white/half whole wheat (vs. softer, sweeter American style breads), our "house" bread. http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/

It is SO good toasted, buttered with coconut oil and topped with a sprinkle of salt.

My No-S portions are smoothie in a 16 oz mason jar that fits on my Oster blender ring and toaster load full of bread-- they're handmade loaves so 3-5 pieces based on how big the loaf/where cut on the loaf. They always fit on the same size little plate. Smile
vmsurbat

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uschi wrote:
The smoothie is not very sweet on its own, but I usually add an Emergen-C packet which makes it just a bit sweeter and zingier.

What a great idea! Thanks!

Even though we don't do smoothies often, when I do make them, I like to make them as tasty and as healthy as possible (while still seeming treat-like!).
Over43

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have posted this before, and will stick without, but I find breakfast is the most important part of the No S Diet. This morning was a breakfast sandwich I made, salami, egg, pastrami, cheese, mayo and schriracha sauce. (I have been eating that long before it became popular. But I still cannot spell or pronounce it.)

Often it is sausage/bacon, eggs, hash browns.

Contrary to low carb dogma, if I do not have some bread/carb (has browns) in the morning I crave them more in the afternoon. It must be a me thing.

Another breakfast I eat is topping rice (yes, white rice) with a couple of eggs and some brown gravy. Sometimes I add a burger patty as well.

The Idaho Omelet is also tasty. Cubed ham, cooked with hash browns, when it is done mix cheddar cheese in with it. You can top that with a fried egg if you would like.

This has me thinking, I might have the Idaho Omelet tomorrow. Thanks.

Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79
Echos

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disclaimer: I'm only 2 weeks into this but here's what I have so far:

If I have a morning workout, my breakfast meal is split into two-parts: pre and post workout. If I have an endurance session in the morning, I usually have something high-carb - like a banana with oatmeal OR jam on toast. A strength session usually means some grains (like quinoa, brown rice, or oatmeal) with protein powder, eggs, or chicken. Part 2 consists of carbs and protein, usually a starchy vegetable and fish or chicken.

If I don't have a morning workout, I usually have something with lots of veggies and healthy fats, like an omelette with lots of spinach or salmon with broccoli. I usually get up between 6 and 7, and lunch is around 3 or 4 so I find the fats, fiber, and protein keep me full.
mimi

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On yoga class mornings (3 mornings each week) I usually have a very light breakfast - half of a banana with some crunchy peanut butter spread over it.
Other mornings Honey Bunches of Oats, banana, and almond milk...greek yogurt with a T. of dried blueberries, a T. of chopped walnuts, and 1/4 cup of Ancient Grains granola, or peanut butter on an Eggo waffle.
Weekends - pancakes on Saturday, bacon and eggs on Sunday. I'm never a real big breakfast eater.
Mimi Very Happy
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> No S Diet General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: