lose your appetite on weekends?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

oolala53

lose your appetite on weekends?

Post by oolala53 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:31 pm

I experiment with eating by hunger only on weekends. It's my way of compensating for having waffles with syrup for breakfast (after which I don't feel like having lunch at the regular time) or having a lot of chocolate even after a dinner with dessert (after which I don't get hungry until brunch or later on Sunday- but I still do love having a lot of chocolate.)

One time when I was on break from work, I went 36 hours with no hunger. I still have thoughts of eating and wish a lot that I would get legitimately hungry more often. But I started sticking to it in December and started losing weight again. Most times, it doesn't go more than 6 or 7 hours, which is similar to some weekday gaps between meals anyway and is fine with me.

It's now been almost 24 hours. I know you all would vote for me to eat, or at least I think you would, and I'm going to because I have things to do later that would prevent me from being able to have a meal once I do get hungry. But I still feel a little bit like I've lost a battle.

I know it's a little nuts to post this here as most long-timers don't seem to have these problems, and this board is usually so sane, but the idea of just having my regular three meals on weekends still isn't natural or attractive. Neither is eating just for the hell of it.

Not even sure what I'm expecting, but I'm throwing this out there.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:04 pm

Hey friend, my advise is to eat when you are hungry. If you are not hungry your body is probably still using the food it has stored.

Of course, this is easier to do on the weekends or when one is off work - for most people. I am lucky that I can eat at will at my job (within reason, I wouldn't eat a giant plate of food in front of clients or anything).

Don't worry about it unless you are feeling weak or something. We are so used to eating all the time in this country we feel strange if a day goes by and we realize we really didn't desire food at all. There are parts of the world where going days without eating is the norm.

I ate dinner at seven last night, ate my first meal today at 2:30. It was fine.

You are doing great !

Listen to your body. :wink:
Berry

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:42 am

Hey oolala, I think we touched on this subject once briefly. Like yourself, I too still have a 'problem' with eating naturally on S Days. My S Days are soooo disorganized and I eat for the sake of it unlike my N Days which I have managed for the most part to stick to the routine of 3 meals with nothing inbetween and no cravings. This weekend has been especially ott as I had a birthday party buffet to attend with all the trimmings and it seems to have spilled over onto my Sunday. Nibbles here and there and I am not in the least hungry. It reminds me of the bad old days when I used to binge every few days (usually after a failed attempt at trying to stick to a diet!) I haven't been 'brave' enough to try the only eat when hungry suggestion on the weekends. But I think it is definitely worth a shot! I need something to cure me of my free for all weekends. Sometimes, I am able to be moderate but the majority of the time, its been free for alls and grab all you can now before the N Days ! I need to try something new. Perhaps this could be the solution I am looking for. I am keen to give it a try but not sure how it will work for me. I think the idea of experimenting with the plan on S Days is a great one though because there's no need to feel guilty if it falls flat. hmmm... interesting. Bring on the weekend NOW!! lol
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

milliem

Post by milliem » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:59 am

I suppose the phrase 'if it's not broke, don't fix it' comes to mind! If hunger-driven eating is working for you and not leaving you feeling weak, light-headed or ill, then keep at it! By your post, it looks like you eat less or not at all after a large/calorific meal such as waffles and syrup, or a dinner followed by sweets and chocolate. It also sounds like long periods without food aren't the norm, but happen on occasion?

I know I couldn't go without food for 24 hours, heh, but I certainly understand not wanting to eat just for the sake of it. Last night I didn't have a proper supper, I had a couple of snacks at the cinema and then just wasn't hungry in the evening.

If you're worried about not being in a position to eat when you actually do become hungry, maybe try taking a portable drink/snack with you to keep you going if it happens?

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:06 am

I agree with others "if it isn't broken, don't fix."
However, as said, if you feel weak and not able to concentrate, but still no tummy rumbling, then eat!
It's great you are in touch with your body.
I know for me, I enjoy eating so much that it's hard to wait it out that long...
But I think that could REALLY help out my S days.
I'll try that this weekend. REALLY wait for hunger and eat ANYTHING I want. Be it a chocolate bar, whatever.
Good luck. You're an inspiration for all.

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:01 pm

I say do what works for you. I've tried the weighdown diet for years and it was working for quite a long time, but I now feel the need for external structure. If I ever get to goal, I may go back as I think that is how we were meant to eat.
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me