BrightAngel check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Post Reply
User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

BrightAngel check-in

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:28 am

It's Monday night. I just finished reading the No S Diet book,
and have decided to begin the Plan in the morning.

My overall goal is Maintenance,
however, I would like my weight to drop lower inside my Weight Maintenance Range Image
(between 115 - 105) and stabilize near the 107 lb area.
I am 5'0" tall and 63 years old.

I will keep logging all of my food into Diet Power,
which means I will continue counting calories while I work the No S Plan.
Last edited by BrightAngel on Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Post by BrightAngel » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:41 pm

It's Wednesday morning.
I was successful in Day one of the No S plan.
Today begins Day two. :)
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

3rd Day

Post by BrightAngel » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:43 pm

It's Thursday morning, and I was successful yesterday.
So I've had 2 successful NS days.

I'm starting my 3rd day.
I'm finding the no seconds really easy;
The no sweets isn't too hard;
but the no snacking is incredibly hard for me,
as this has been my primary way of eating for many years.

My normal day begins at 4 a.m. and ends at 8 p.m.
I'm eating around 7 a.m., 12 noon, and 5 p.m. which are my normal mealtimes.

I think about food continually, and
greatly miss my three between meal planned snacks...
...plus, of course, those extra few bites here and there.

At mealtime, my plates of food are delicious,
and I'm full when I finish, but I'm not enjoying them much
because I feel ravenous when I start, and very sad when I finish.
The past two days I've gone to bed before 7 p.m. to keep from snacking.

When I first begin any kind of "structured diet",
I usually drop two or three pounds the first few days,
...which I know is mostly due to salt/water/waste loss...
but, although my calories are averaging around 1000-1200
this hasn't happened, and I miss it.

I think this is a great way of dieting or maintaining a weight-loss,
and I'm hoping my body and mind's negative reactions
to the "loss" of snacking will become less over time.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Post by BrightAngel » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:57 pm

Today is the beginning of Day 4 for me.
Note the thread in general discussion about Gastric Bypass,
which explains that I had one 15 years ago.

I couldn't follow medical advice to eat only three meals then,
even post-surgery, when I was very fat AND food made me feel sick,
so why I thought I could do it now escapes me.

While I love the 3 meals a day concept,
my body is having great difficulty with it.
I'm making myself physically sick by eating too much at mealtime,
and I'm ravenous in between meals.

Eating frequently has worked for me in the past.
So, I've decided to modify the plan for myself and go with
smaller more frequent meals.
I plan to continue working to follow most of the Plan,
while defining success a bit differently than some.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Day 5, Saturday begins with S

Post by BrightAngel » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:13 pm

Today is day 5, and Saturday begins with S.
Yesterday I failed miserably with food.
No identifiable meals, ate all day long, including sweets.
My total calorie burn including exercise is 1400 per day.
Yesterday I had 2046.
Prior 3 days my calories averaged in the 1100s.
In order to continue this plan, I need my weekend calories to top out around 1400.
Looking forward to a day beginning with S,
but I'll still need to work at it.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

6 week commitment to No S

Post by BrightAngel » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:02 pm

Today is Day One of a Six week commitment.

Today is my actual 6th day of attemting the plan, however,
Yesterday I ate everything possible to eat,
....all day long....
which was not a good thing for me.

So, I'm focusing again on the basic Structure of the Plan.
Since I've had 2 days in a row where I ate snacks and sweets,
I've decided to start a new No S week by making today a No S day.
Hopefully, on my next "S" days...next Saturday and Sunday..
I will manage my food intake in a better manner.

Within the basic Structure of the No S Plan,
there is plenty of room for individuality.
I can choose not to binge on "S" days, and
I can choose to have low-calorie foods anytime
in order to keep my weekly calorie average in an acceptable range.

I have a problem with switching from diet plan to diet plan,
and it's making me crazy.
Therefore,
I hereby commit myself to the basic Structure of the No S Plan
for the next 6 weeks....from now until June 1.

At that time, if I wish to, I will revisit the issue of future committment.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Day 2 of 6 week committment

Post by BrightAngel » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:05 pm

SUCCESS

Yesterday was a very successful day.
I had 3 tiny meals on a saucer which was VeryLowCalorie,
although in the afternoon I reviewed some of the book and read the part
that said not to make an S day an N day, because
it's like opening a line of credit.

Good Thought, so I'll avoid doing that in the future.
I really going to work hard at making 3 meals and no snacks (except on S days) a habit.
I know that would be tremendous help for me in maintenance

Today, again my plan is to have 3 tiny meals on a saucer.
I understand the line of credit philosophy,
and I would prefer to have a "fresh start" every day.
But Bottom Line is maintaining my weight-loss,
and to do that, I've got to average out those two high-calorie days.
a matter of: "You play, you pay."
Hopefully I'll be able to pay off the debt today
and shut down the credit line.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Day 3 of 6 week committment

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:12 pm

SUCCESS
Yesterday was another successful day.
3 meals, no snacks and within my calorie limits.
That's 2 successful days toward a 21 day habit.
Wishing myself good luck for today.

If I find my 6 weeks to be relatively successful,
I plan to extend my committment.
Last edited by BrightAngel on Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Day 4 of 6 week committment to No S.

Post by BrightAngel » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:39 pm

SUCCESS
Yesterday was a successful N day on No S.

Today begins my 4th day of my 6 week committment to No S.
It is 5:30 a.m.,
My normal day is 4 a.m. to 8 p.m.,
however this morning I arose at 2:30 a.m.
and yesterday morning was at 3 a.m.

I'm working to keep my mealtimes near a regular time.
Roughly:
  • Breakfast 7 a.m.
    Lunch 12 noon
    Dinner 5 p.m.
I agree with Reinhard that "Am I Hungry?" is just too vague.
Without snacking I feel hungry all the time,
so I am trying to establish mealtime habits.

So, here I am posting on the computer
while trying to patiently wait for breakfast time.

One plus is that I've never snacked from getting up UNTIL Breakfast,
so during this early pre-breakfast time it isn't hard to avoid snacks,
like it is mid-morning, mid-afternoon, and after dinner.
But I do feel hungry and I want to eat.
I'm trying to wait until at least 6:30, and I'm drinking lots and lots of hot tea.


Evening of Day 4.
FAILURE
Today had snacks, sweets, and seconds.
Had very tiny breakfast and tiny lunch.
Did well until mid-afternoon, then disturbed by some emotional events,
went to cupboard and started eating light Ruffles right from bag.
Stopped myself and put some a plate with a sandwich
even though it was "seconds" And snacking.
Then had a granola bar. (snack)
Then had 1/2 cup ice cream (snack & sweets)
Then had ice cream bar. (snack and Sweets)
Lay down for a nap, but developed severe leg cramping.

After dinner, had a cookie, (seconds and sweets)
then 3 more cookies, (snack)
then a 1/2 cup of All bran cereal with 1/2 c almond milk.(snack)
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Day 5 of 6 week committment

Post by BrightAngel » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:41 pm

It is 6:30 a.m. on Day 5 of my 6 week committment to No S.

A committment of 6 weeks is a long-term committment to me,
since I jump between diets frequently and continuously.
6 weeks is 42 days.
As a result of eating the no s way, I want to see:
  • My weight maintain or drop;
    Change of prior eating Habits;
    Development of more positive feelings about maintenance.
If, at the end of the 6 weeks,
I see these things are happening,
then I plan to extend my committment.

SUCCESS
It is now my bedtime, and I consider my day a success.
I forgot about the snack rule at the grocery store,
and tasted some samples....but jumped right back on board the Plan
and the rest of the day I followed the rules.

I know I'm supposed to be "strict",
but perfectionism would call this a failure
and use it as an excuse to snack all day long.
I've decided I deserve credit for a successful day,
so I'm taking it.

"MostlyNoS" is how I will track NoS in my HabitCal.
I'm also going to use HabitCal to track:
"NoSnacks"; "Exercise"; and "Ate1400orLess"
Approx 1400 calories is my total day's burn to maintain my current weight.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Day 6 of 6 week committment

Post by BrightAngel » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:09 pm

It's 5:30 a.m., day 6 of my 6 week committment.

I finally learned how to use Habit Cal,
and have decided to track No S by being strict,
but not require absolute perfection to earn the label
"SUCCESS".

"MostlyNoS" is how I will track NoS in my HabitCal.
I'm also going to use HabitCal to track:
"NoSnacks"; "Exercise"; and "Ate1400orLess"
Approx 1400 calories is my total day's burn to maintain my current weight.

As an introduction to those who might be interested in my progress,
below are links to some pictures and graphs of my History.
I am very committed to staying inside my Weight Maintenance Range,
Keeping detailed records has become an enjoyable Habit.
During the above time period, I've used many different diets.
I am looking for a Maintenance Food Plan
which I find comfortable enough to make a permanent Life Style Habit.
I'm hoping the No S plan is it.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
Beckycan
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:36 am
Location: Missouri

Post by Beckycan » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:35 pm

Brightangel,
I'm inspired by your long-term maintenance! I hope to someday be at goal and do as well as you have done with maintaining your loss!

Becky
SW 295
CW 292
GW 175

A turtle travels only when he sticks his neck out. Korean Proverb

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Day 6 is over.

Post by BrightAngel » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:17 am

Beckycan wrote:Brightangel,
I'm inspired by your long-term maintenance! I hope to someday be at goal and do as well as you have done with maintaining your loss!

Becky
Thanks Becky

I hereby declare Day 6 to be over, and a

SUCCESS
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Day 7 of 6 week committment

Post by BrightAngel » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:35 pm

Day 7 of 6 week committment
I changed one of my HabitCal calenders to reflect Ate1499orLess instead of 1400,
because records of my daily calorie burn shows it is consistently somewhere inside the 1400 range,
and I still want a Green box if my day's food totals are anywhere under 1500 calories.
Obsessive/Compulsive?? Sure, but since I find these little things really matter to me,
I like to tweak them to provide me with the best results.
Today is an S day...meaning my N day restrictions are gone, and I can have sweets and snacks. Image
However, today I've decided to still work not to go over 1499 calories.

Last night I was craving sweet snack foods, and to avoid eating any,
I made a list of many of the foods I've been wanting
and told myself that, if I want to, I can have some of them this weekend.
I'm a bit surprised to see that I don't want an especially sweet breakfast.
So far this morning, I'm planning a breakfast like an N day...
except I'm not too worried about getting one filling enough to last me till Lunch.
I am allowing myself to have what I feel like eating, which is:
  • 1/2 cup Fage 0% plain yogurt, sweetened with 2 pkg Splenda,
    1/2 cup Fiber One with
    1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, and
    1/2 a sliced banana.
I disagree with Reinhard about the taste of artificial sweetners,
I love them even more than sugar, and enjoy them every day.
They agree with my body much better than real sugar,
because although real sugar...including honey, syrup, etc. sometimes makes me feel sick and sluggish,
my Splenda or other artificial sweeteners never have that physical effect,
And they have no calories to subtract from my day's food allowance.

Despite what one might wish...., or find morally correct,
quite frankly, I live to eat.
I'll admit that I love the activity of eating foods I like more than anything else in existence.
I doubt that will ever change.
I have given up trying to change it, and I Accept that about myself.
My job is to work to establish a healthy body and life within that peremeter.
I find that my daily use of Splenda or other artificial sweeteners helps make life bearable.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
Beckycan
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:36 am
Location: Missouri

Post by Beckycan » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:21 pm

Hi Brightangel
Very truthful confessions here about yourself. I admire your honesty.

I was concerned about the artificial-ness about artificial sweeteners not being good for me, so I use Stevia now, in powdered packets from the healthfood store. I still drink Lipton diet tea, occasional diet sodas, etc. but have learned to like the Stevia for my oatmeal, etc.

My day started as an N day, but I have chocolate cake cooling on the counter. My 6 y.o. grandson is here for the day and he loves to bake at grandmas -- he has 3 younger siblings, so he loves the one on one with grandma! We're going to smother our chocolate cake in cherry pie filling, then dollop cool whip on each serving. We're taking chicken nuggets to the park for a picnic lunch, then after he has plenty of time to play and run, we'll be back for our "Black Forest Cake"

Becky
SW 295
CW 292
GW 175

A turtle travels only when he sticks his neck out. Korean Proverb

User avatar
OrganicGal
Posts: 481
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:08 pm
Location: Peterborough

Post by OrganicGal » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:41 pm

I too admire your long term maintenance BrightAngel, and all the tracking you do. That would drive me absolutely bonkers and I would not do it for long. I'm glad it works for you. And I also admire your honesty so publicly posted here :)

I would like to make a suggestion, which you are more then welcome to ignore! :lol: If the breakfast you listed just above is your typical one then I would suggest you add some protein. I know there is 'some' protein in yogurt, but not near enough to last through to the next meal, trust me.

But congrats on your 6 week committment.
Creating and sustaining the No S habits are the only thing that will take me in the direction I want to go!

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Day 1, Week 2, of 6 week committment

Post by BrightAngel » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:13 pm

Today is Day 1 of Week 2 of 6 week committment to No S Diet.

Yesterday was an S day, and although an S day is supposed to be an exception,
I classify it as a
Failure because my day's calorie total was 2376,
which is about 900 calories OVER my daily calorie burn.

I was in the 1400s calorie range after having some sweets and snacks,
and I considered the day Successful until about 6:30 p.m.
Then, while reading fiction, the eating urge arose and I began eating one snack after another.

This is not surprising...as the combo, eating-reading fiction,
is one of my difficult areas...a lifelong pattern that needs to be altered.
However, since I love to read, and am not willing to give that up,
I've got to keep working to get my mind out of automatic eating pilot when immersed in fiction.

My eating behavior was similiar last Friday and Saturday...(which was my first S day).
Last week I made Sunday an extremely low-cal N day as "damage control",
then read that Reinhard advised against doing that.
Today is Sunday, so it is still another S day.
I cannot allow myself to have two more such high-calorie days in a row.
My plan for the S day today is to eat 3 normal meals,
while avoiding sweets and snacking or at least keeping them to a minimum.

To avoid gaining more weight, my total weekly calorie average MUST be in the 1400s,
so I will have to do "damage control" next week during N days,
meaning I'll need to make careful, low-cal choices for each of my 3 meals.

Such is life. :?
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

I am a Glutton

Post by BrightAngel » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:24 am

I Accept that I am Greedy, and a Glutton.
What does that really mean?

Webster defines
  • "Greedy" as "having a strong desire for food or drink";
    "Glutton as "one given habitually to greedy and voracious eating and drinking";
    "Voracious" is having a huge appetite: Ravenous; or excessively eater: Insatiable;
    . . . . . . .Voracious applies especially to habital gorging with food or drink.
    . . . . . . . .Synonyms:
    • "Gluttonous" applies to one who delights in eating...especially beyond the pont of necessity or satiety.
      "Ravenous" imples excessive hunger and suggests violent or grasping methods of dealing with food.
      "Rapacious"often suggests excessive and selfish acquisitveness.
Well, That IS me.
So....is it a bad thing?
I don't think so.


It's just part of who I am, and what I need to deal with in my life.
along with my other personality characteristics and physical appearance.
I Accept these character "defects",
just like I Accept physical things about me such as:
my height, age, eye-color, strech marks, wrinkles, less than taunt skin..etc. etc. etc.

Acceptance gets me out of Denial,
and gives me the freedom to do what I can
to reduce negative side effects produced by the condition...
...if I choose to.

Acceptance of Truth is a starting place.
.....and the Truth is that all of those definitions apply to me....
I am a Glutton. Does it mean I have to be fat?
Not necessarily.

Obesity is a "negative side effect" of Gluttoney,
and in order to avoid that side-effect,
I have to work to control, direct, and tame my eating desires.
Will new Habits "tame the wild animal"?
And can I develop those Habits?
I hope so.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Post by BrightAngel » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:25 am

I'm at the end of my 2nd weekend on No S.
I love Reinhard's common sense attitude, and I think there is much to recommend the No S diet.

However, the plan is based upon Reinhard's Philosophy which appears to be that:

The average person doesn't wish to consider him/herself a glutton or "an idot" about food.
This aversion is intended as a "safety net" in that when one SEES the amount one is eating,
the Excess is brought into one's consciousness,
and once one is conscious of one's Gross Overeating,
one will then reduce the amount one eats.

It seems to me that while this may be a useful and valuable premise for N days,
primarily due to the restrictions of no snacks, no sweets, no seconds, 3 meals, 1 plate,
and while the lack of weekend restriction may work for "normal" people
who are not primarily "Idots" or "Gluttons",
it appears to lose effectiveness on S days for those of us who ARE dyed-in-the-wool Idots, and Gluttons,
especially those of us who are well aware of, and accept the fact of, this condition.

So far, my experience of "S" days has been the same
as it has on all other diets that let me "cheat" on the weekend.
Once restrictions are removed, I lose control and binge
on whatever foods I find desirable until the restrictions are back in place.

Then, in order to remedy the enormous calorie surplus,
the weekdays (N days) must become 3 very tiny, restrictive meals....
which triggers a cycle of weekend bingeing and weekday "fasting"
in order to maintain a status-quo weight.

Alledgedly one could choose NOT to restrict food excessively on weekdays,
which might possibly result in less overeating on weekends, for "normal" people.

This may work for "normal" people,
However, as a person who has had a lifetime of involvement in dieting,
including 20 years of therapy,
and even outpatient treatment in an eating disorders clinic,
BEFORE my gastric bypass 15 years ago,
I will say that my experience here appears to be no different
that in previous programs which gave short periods of "freedom".

I remember gaining more than 50 lbs in one of those programs
before giving up the hope the approach would eventually level out
my eating and cause more "normal" eating behavior.

Tonight, at this point....which is the end of two S days...
I'm pretty sure the ratio of 5 "N" days to 2 "S" days isn't going to work for me.
For me, 5 days of extremely restricted eating will not even out the calories of 2 days of binging,
so it appears to me that following this plan...as is...won't work for me.

So, now, I need to work to individualize No S for my particular problem,
and figure out a different way to deal with the weekends;
because, certainly, if I could get rid of snacking on N days,
and make 3 meals a day a Habit, it would be very helpful to me.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Post by BrightAngel » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:33 pm

blueskighs wrote:BrightAngel,
Perhaps rather than being greedy and a glutton you might just have some greedy or gluttonous habits.
Yes, my snacking, especially on sweets is a Bad Habit.

However, No, I am not being Harsh with myself.
Harsh would only mean that I agree with society in general that the word and definition of "Glutton" is bad or negative.
I do not agree.
One is what one is.
and one of the many things I am....is a Glutton...
...Look again at Webster's defination of that term in my post above.

However, simply because I AM a Glutton, does not mean I must BEHAVE in a Gluttonous manner.
It just means that it is MORE work for me not to do so ,
than for many other people...i.e. those people who are Not Gluttons.

Perhaps none of you are.
However, in my lifetime I have lost and regained over 100 lbs three separate times.
Although I have been on almost every diet in existence, I've spent most of my life fat.
During my 20 years of therapy I learned that
I love to eat more than anything else, (no matter what the basic reason)
and by living years of my life in obesity,
I chose to pay the high price of obesity in order to get to eat lots and lots of food.

However, I don't see food as an Addiction.
I have the ability to choose how to behave with food,
it's just more difficult for me than for some.

I agree that 2 weeks is not a long time to experiment with a diet.
However, you might bear in mind that I've already experimented with similar diets for very long periods of time,
and 2 weeks is long enough to recognize basics and similiarities between food plans or diets.
I don't have to keep hitting myself in the head with a blue hammer
to see if I get the same effects as I do from a red hammer.

I love the basics of the No S Diet,
and Reinhard's common sense approach to the problem of overeating.
I want to continue to use many of his principles,
while adapting them to optimize my personal use of them.
In his book, Reinhard, is supportive of such a decision.

I think this forum is great, and I want to continue on here.

However, as much as I wish the No S plan, exactly as written, would work for me,
the past two weeks...taken together with my extensive prior experience,
...my lengthy education, and my pretty good common sense,
tells me that this is not the case for me.
I don't have to spend a month or two and have a 10 lb gain before I can make that decision.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Pragmatism at work

Post by BrightAngel » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:44 pm

Here's pragmatism (practical as opposed to idealistic) at work.

For the remainder of my committment to No S,
I will be modifying it to make it "MyOwnPlan"
I've changed my HabitCal to reflect this.

I'm not going to go into which specific modifications I'm making,
because they are individual to me,
are based on knowledge I've gained about myself over many years,
and might not be effective or useful for anyone else.

That said, I'm ready and eager to begin another N day.
Good Luck to me and to all of you.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Another Day

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:16 pm

Reinhard said:
In the case of diet, the issue of excessive eating,
pure and simple, is the giant heart of the problem,
and you shouldn't let fine tuning...distract you from that.
No S Diet first,
or your preferred equivalent for managing excess,
then intelligent defaults and optimization,
maybe.
I really like this quote.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

My Review

Post by BrightAngel » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:17 pm

Here's my Take:

No S: Great book.

Reinhard: Great guy, intelligent, lots and lots of common sense.
Has no personal experience with eating disorders and a limited understanding of their dynamics.

Online site: Excellent

Since my experiment with "vanilla" No S has resulted in Failure,
and it became necessary for me to greatly modify and individualize the Plan to achieve success,
I will no longer check in here daily.

I will probably drop by occasionally, however,
as I greatly enjoy the site,
and I admire Reinhard.
I also like the basic No S plan.......and think it is a wonderful solution for the average overeater.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
OrganicGal
Posts: 481
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:08 pm
Location: Peterborough

Post by OrganicGal » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:06 pm

I'm sorry to hear that BrightAngel. But I admire you for doing what you feel is right and works for you.

We are all, usually, are the best one to tell us what is right for us, because your reality would never be mine and vise versa.

Good luck and please to keep popping in, we'd be glad to see ya. :)
Creating and sustaining the No S habits are the only thing that will take me in the direction I want to go!

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Post by BrightAngel » Fri May 02, 2008 11:04 pm

Even though I'm not planning to check in here every day,
I'm still around and involved,
and I'm still experimenting to see which No S techniques will benefit me most in my Maintenance.

I'm also still waiting for my long-handled 4 lb sledgehammer to be delivered.
I'm very interested to see how that might work out as strength training for me.

Anyone interested in contacting me can post here or private message me,
and I will private message a response.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

HABITS

Post by BrightAngel » Sat May 03, 2008 3:34 pm

I've been thinking a lot about Reinhard's statements re Habits.
and I very much agree with the concepts.

Habit is a very powerful thing.

One habit I've been fortunate enough to develop
is entering all of my food into my
Diet Power food journal every day.
Today makes 1322 consecutive days that I've done it,
and I consider this Habit the basis for my successful weight loss and maintenance thus far.

Since
Diet Power counts calories as part of the software,
In essence, I've been able to make counting calories a habit.
Entering my food into that program every day is like brushing my teeth, bathing, or making my bed,
and not doing it would feel as uncomfortable for me as not doing those other personal grooming habits.

Weighing every day and entering that data into my program
is just another comfortable and similiar habit,
and is also behavior which I have no desire to change.


Since I find it easy to calorie count, and to weigh, and in fact would find it difficult Not to do so,
No S's basic function of indirectly moderating amounts of food intake
is less valuable to me than to the majority of people.

However, I am fascinated by the simplicity of the plan,
although I find myself to be a person who is unable to accept anyone else's Plan without improvisations.
And I am very interested to see more about how the Habit concept
could be be adapted for my own food use.

I realize that there are many food Habits I've formed over the past several years,
that have been very beneficial to me.
I'd just never attached the Habit concept to them.

Although I see the desirability of the basic "Vanilla" No S plan,
I am, at present, unable to commit to it.
However, I cannot help but see the benefits of Habit Formation.

I'm going to commit to doing some HabitCals in May
in order to watch the alignment of some of my behaviors.

I've decided to use Habit Cal to track the days I'm in or out of my Maintenance calorie limits.
Calories1499orLess

Although I find myself unwilling to commit to the basic No S Diet,
....at present....
I think it might be interesting to track days of behavior in compliance with No S...
NoSdiet

I know that snacking is a problem area for me,
but I'm still not willing to give up snacks.
However, I am willing to focus my attention on it,
and track Snacks separately, specificallY: "Unauthorized" snack behavior...
UnauthorizedSnacking
i.e. divide the No Snacking concept into "Authorized" and "Unauthorized" snacking.
In that way I can retain flexibility, and feel less restricted by "authority":
...i.e. Some days Plan to have 3 meals, no snacks,
.....and other days Plan to have 3 meals and 3 snacks.
I think Tracking all Unauthorized" snack behavior might help me decide how big a problem Snacking is for me.

And of course, I'll track Exercise...
Exercise15minOrMore
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

Jesseco
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:49 pm
Location: East Coast

Re: My Review

Post by Jesseco » Sat May 03, 2008 3:40 pm

Removed.
Last edited by Jesseco on Sat May 03, 2008 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Post by BrightAngel » Sat May 03, 2008 3:43 pm

Thanks for the above- positive message Jesseco.
Please understand that there was no need at all to remove it.
I'm editing this message to explain that I prepared and posted this message
Before I saw your message,
and it was NOT In Response to your message.

PLEASE NOTE:
Message to Anyone Interested:
I am Well-Aware that what I am doing is not actually the "No S Diet",
but merely an adaptation for my temporary use.
Therefore, I respectfully ask that no one make negative posts
about my behavior choices here within my check-in thread.


I remain available for Personal Messages, either postive or negative,
and, of course, in the General Discussion area,
please respond to any of my comments or behavior as you wish.

BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

Jesseco
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:49 pm
Location: East Coast

Post by Jesseco » Sat May 03, 2008 4:31 pm

Thank YOU, BrightAngel! And for your pm to me (I responded; hope it went through).

Like many others, I enjoy reading your messages.

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Post by BrightAngel » Sun May 04, 2008 7:15 pm

Today, (but probably not tomorrow)
I'm working not to snack.

Today, (but probably not tomorrow)
I'm willing to admit that Snacks are my primary problem.

I am aware that building a Habit of No Snacks would be extremely helpful.
I just don't want to give them ALL up (....even except for s days)
The really sad thing about that is, that I'm pretty certain
making such a committment and following through with it,
would be the solution to my maintenance problems.

All I can make myself commit to do right now is to track the Snacking Habit,
and maybe the result will make me willing to make a Consistent Effort.
So it goes...


7 p.m. I hereby declare today a SUCCESS
That's one in a row. :D
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Post by BrightAngel » Mon May 05, 2008 8:57 pm

I'm hoping that today will be my second day in a row of No Snacking.
Will check in again about my progress at the end of the day.

Day 2 has been a
SUCCESS
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Post by BrightAngel » Tue May 06, 2008 2:09 pm

I hereby commit to 3 meals, no snacks for today.
Success would be 3 days in a row.

I've found that committing to no snacks actually kicks me into all of No S.
This is because it is already my Habit not to have seconds,
and if I don't snack, I find it easy to avoid sweets.

In his book, Reinhard, recommends each of us define "sweets" in our own way,
and I like that.
However, because I disagree with his personal negative feelings about artificial sweetners...
....and have no intention of ever limiting them or giving them up.....
I need to use something other than the "Taste" of a food to define a "Sweet".

Fortunately since I continue with my Habit of using
Diet Power
which counts my calories for me as I enter my daily food
it is easy for me to define "Sweets"
as a combination of foods made with lots of sugar,
and high-calorie foods made with artificial-sweetners,
like candy, cookies, pies etc.
Of course, one could still do that simply by reading food labels on artifically sweetened products.

This personal definition removes most foods one normally thinks of as "Sweets"
from my N days,
but allows me to continue eating my artifically-sweetened, low-calorie treats
that taste sweet, but are made with Splenda etc. on N days.

CAUTION: as long as those treats are within my meal,
fit on my 10 inch plate,
and fit inside my daily calorie allowance.

I think I could live with that definition long-term.......
It's living without snacking that I'm having a problem with.

Well, here goes Day 3.
I'll check in at the end of the day and let you know how it went.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

jules
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:46 am

Post by jules » Tue May 06, 2008 7:18 pm

Inspirational stuff BrightAngel. What an incredible habit you've built using DietPower! While calorie counting in any form will never be for me, I know it can be an incredibly powerful motivator, and an extremely valuable reality check. It is much harder to deny the impact of calorie dense foods when the numbers spell it out in black and white. 8)

And, you know what? It is totally compatible with No-S. Including stricter S days. As many of the website readers will know, there is a 'sometimes' in the no-s diet. "No snacks, no sweets, no seconds except (sometimes) on days that start with S." For some of us, "sometimes" need never come.

But inquiring minds want to know, have you received your sledgehammer yet? :twisted: I started out with a 8 lb. hammer but had been lifting weights. I found it to be more difficult than I'd anticipated, but totally worth it. And it is one piece of "fitness" equipment that has a more practicle use than becoming a clotheshanger (as I frequently hear in-home stationary bikes become for some people.)

jules

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Post by BrightAngel » Tue May 06, 2008 8:29 pm

jules wrote: But inquiring minds want to know, have you received your sledgehammer yet? :twisted: I started out with a 8 lb. hammer but had been lifting weights. I found it to be more difficult than I'd anticipated, but totally worth it. And it is one piece of "fitness" equipment that has a more practicle use than becoming a clotheshanger (as I frequently hear in-home stationary bikes become for some people.)

jules
Jules,
Thanks for the positive statements.

No, my sledgehammer isn't here yet.
I ordered it on April 15, and
it showed up on my charge card bill
so I'm hoping to receive it any day now.
I just sent an e-mail inquiring about it.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Post by BrightAngel » Wed May 07, 2008 2:13 am

Day 3, Tuesday May 6 was a Success
That's 3 in a row.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
fkwan
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:04 pm
Location: middle of nowhere, Texas

Post by fkwan » Wed May 07, 2008 3:20 pm

BrightAngel wrote:Day 3, Tuesday May 6 was a Success
That's 3 in a row.
Congratulations!!!!


f
One must know his limitations. -- John Milius
Beginning weight: 115
Currently: Haven't a clue

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Post by BrightAngel » Wed May 07, 2008 3:50 pm

Starting Day 4 of No Snacking.
Will edit this to show results at the end of the day.

I hereby declare day 4 to be a: Success
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Post by BrightAngel » Thu May 08, 2008 2:38 pm

I've now had 4 days in a row of Not Snacking.
Today I'm going for number 5.

There is a stressful event happening for me today,
and my pattern is to "emotionally eat" when those occur.
However, I'm hoping that the principle of "intertia" will help out,
and that I can stay on a "no snack" roll.

I'll check back in this evening with my day's results.


Today, Number 5 makes 5 days in a row of Not Snacking:
Success
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Working for 6 consecutive days of no snacking

Post by BrightAngel » Fri May 09, 2008 3:30 pm

Yesterday was my 5th consecutive day of no snacking.
Today I'm going for 6.
Good Luck to me and to all of you.

I'll check back in tonight to edit this post with today's results.

Day 6 no snacking: Success
Last edited by BrightAngel on Sat May 10, 2008 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
fkwan
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:04 pm
Location: middle of nowhere, Texas

Post by fkwan » Fri May 09, 2008 3:51 pm

That's truly amazing.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :)

f
One must know his limitations. -- John Milius
Beginning weight: 115
Currently: Haven't a clue

User avatar
JillyBean
Posts: 334
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:19 pm
Location: Maine

Post by JillyBean » Fri May 09, 2008 7:08 pm

I'm rooting for you!!
Jill

The food I eat today is my choice! What price am I willing to pay?

"There are no failures, only feedback." ~~ Robert Allen

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Working for 7 consecutive days of no snacking

Post by BrightAngel » Sat May 10, 2008 1:27 pm

I've now had 6 no snacking days in a row.
Today is an "S" day, and I'm hoping hold the 3 meals no snack pattern,
just addding to my meals the ability to have sweets,
I've decided on S days, a "sweet" might also be "seconds",
if it doesn't fit on my plate with my normal sized meal.
Anyway, that's my goal for today.

I'll check in tonight, and tell how it goes.


Today was my 7th no-snacking day: Success

My husband brought me a long-handled, 4 lb sledgehammer,
so now I have a Shovelglove.
I'll begin experimenting with it soon.

Today was a very difficult day, because
ImageI had to take my beloved cat, Tashie, to the vet for the Big Sleep.
I am so very very sad. :cry:
It's a good thing that I committed to a no-snack day,
because it helped keep me from big time emotional eating
.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

jules
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:46 am

Post by jules » Sun May 11, 2008 9:37 am

Congrats on the shovelglove :)

I'm so sorry to hear about your cat. Hard to lose the fuzzy members of the family too. :(

jules, cat fiend :)

User avatar
fkwan
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:04 pm
Location: middle of nowhere, Texas

Post by fkwan » Sun May 11, 2008 1:56 pm

Sorry about your cat. Whenever one of our dog babies has to go, we immediately go to the shelter and get another one afterward. It's not the same, but it is an improvement over the alternative. :)

f
One must know his limitations. -- John Milius
Beginning weight: 115
Currently: Haven't a clue

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Working for 8 consecutive days of no snacking

Post by BrightAngel » Sun May 11, 2008 5:27 pm

Thanks guys.

I'm now working on getting 8 consecutive no-snacking days.
Today is Sunday and Mother's Day, so I might choose to have some sweets or seconds,
however, I have committed myself to continue working not to snack today.
I want to do as much as I can to build that no-snacking Habit,
because more and more, I am coming to believe it is the solution to my maintenance problem.

I'll check in tonight and edit this post with my results

Today was a successful no-snacking day. SUCCESS
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Working for 9 consecutive days of no snacking

Post by BrightAngel » Mon May 12, 2008 4:29 pm

8 consecutive days of no-snacking (and 8 No S days also)
I am now working for my 9th no-snacking day.
I'll check in tonight, and edit this post with my results


It is now 7:30 p.m. and I declare that:
Day 9 is a
Success
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Working for 10 consecutive days of no snacking

Post by BrightAngel » Tue May 13, 2008 3:08 pm

I've now had 9 successful days in a row of no-snacking (and 9 No S days also)
Today is day number 10.
I'll check in tonight, and edit this post with my results

It is 6:45 p.m. and I hereby declare Day 10 to be a : Success
Last edited by BrightAngel on Wed May 14, 2008 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Working for 11 consecutive days of no snacking

Post by BrightAngel » Wed May 14, 2008 12:52 pm

I can hardly believe that I've completed 10 consecutive days of no snacking,
(and also 10 days of successful No S)
Beginning work on Day 11.

Tonight, I'll edit this post with my day's results


I have had my dinner, will be going to bed soon,
and I hereby declare today to be my 11th day of no-snacking, and
a
SUCCESS :D
Last edited by BrightAngel on Thu May 15, 2008 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
fkwan
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:04 pm
Location: middle of nowhere, Texas

Re: Working for 11 consecutive days of no snacking

Post by fkwan » Wed May 14, 2008 4:25 pm

BrightAngel wrote:I can hardly believe that I've completed 10 consecutive days of no snacking,
(and also 10 days of successful No S)
Beginning work on Day 11.

Tonight, I'll edit this post with my day's results
Congratulations!!!!!!!


hugs f
One must know his limitations. -- John Milius
Beginning weight: 115
Currently: Haven't a clue

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Working for 12 consecutive days of no snacking

Post by BrightAngel » Thu May 15, 2008 1:43 pm

I've had 11 successful no-snacking days.
Interestingly enough,
I've also had 11 successful no s days.
For me, it appears that once the no-snacking gets in line,
it's easy for me to follow the rest of no s.

11 days ago, I planned to allow myself "authorized" snacks,
but it hasn't been necessary for me to do so.
I've made it through with no snacks at all.
And I've actually been following the basic no s.
No one could be more surprised than I am.

So, I'm feeling hopeful as I begin Day 12 of no-snacking.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Dress

Post by BrightAngel » Thu May 15, 2008 1:50 pm

I posted this on the discussion thread,
It took me a long time to prepare,
and I have decided it is something I want to store in my personal check-in thread also,
as the post helps define who I am.
If anyone wants to make comments about it,
I ask you to please go to the discussion thread and add your comment to the original post there.
reinhard wrote: "I think there are two legitimate camps of no-essers:
minimal weighers (once a month or so) and scientific weighers.

I'm a minimal weigher myself,
and I think that's a good strategy for many, if not most people.
But I don't want the scientific weighers to feel like second class citizens,
or discourage people for whom scientific, daily weighing
tracking a moving average
might be the only personally realistic option."

Reinhard
I am a "scientific weigher",
and the tool with which I measure my weight-loss success is the scale.
However, I find that amoung dieters in general there is much talk
about dress size or clothing size as an indicater of successful weight loss.

One thing to bear in mind when dress size is used as a measure of success,
is that there is no state or federal regulation of dress size,
and clothing manufactors are free to use their own flexible standards.

In order to successfully market clothing, manufactors sort of stick together in a general way on sizing.
But, as a result of this, dress sizes will vary slightly from store to store,
for example, what is a size 6 in the majority of stores is the same as a size 0 in Chicos.
As a general rule, I've found clothing in the more expensive stores
are a bit roomier than clothing labeled the same size in the cheaper stores.

The past 30 years has brought a great deal of change overall in sizing labels.
I have fond memories of fitting into certain sizes at certain weights and ages,
but my recollections of those past sizes do not match the actuality of current sizes.

As an example of this: I now wear a size 6, both top and bottom.
This is the number I believe is my current size,
because no matter where I shop, I can fit into a size 6...and sometimes smaller.

Objectively speaking, what is a size 6?
  • Using Penny's catalogue sizing chart as a general measure,
    Size 6 is:
    • Bust: 34 -- 34 1/2
      Waist: 26 -- 26 1/2
      Hips: 36 1/2 -- 37
Now these also happen to be my current measurements,
so at present, I take that sizing to be generally correct.

However, in order to compare that with my past memories,
I need to see what the sizing measurements were when I was younger.
I can find that out by looking at sewing patterns.
Simplicity, McCalls, Butterick were around in my youth, and when I was a younger adult.
Unlike clothing manufactor's, those general sizing charts have not changed.
  • Using McCalls sewing pattern sizing chart as a general measure,
    Size 6 is:
    • Bust: 30 1/2
      Waist: 23
      Hips: 32 1/2
    Size 12 is:
    • Bust: 34
      Waist: 26 1/2
      Hips: 36
This clearly demonstrates the big shift in clothing sizes
that has taken place gradually during the past 20 to 40 years.
Our present size 6 is the same as the past size 12.

Using the same charts, further size differences are:
  • Current store size:
    Size 12 is:
    • Bust: 37 1/2 -- 38 1/2
      Waist: 29 1/2 -- 30 1/2
      Hips: 40 -- 41
    Sewing Pattern size:
    Size 16 is:
    • Bust: 38
      Waist: 30
      Hips: 40
Our present size 12 is the same as the past size 16.
  • Current store size:
    Size 14 is:
    • Bust: 39 -- 40
      Waist: 31 -- 32
      Hips: 41 1/2 -- 42 1/2
    Sewing Pattern size:
    Size 18 is:
    • Bust: 40
      Waist: 32
      Hips: 42
Our present size 14 is the same as the past size 18.

I find this information to be important and valuable because it brings weight-loss Reality into focus.
I remember my high-school weight,
and when I weigh now I can accurately compare past and present.
BUT, I also remember my high-school size,
but the past and present comparison is totally inaccurate.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Post by BrightAngel » Fri May 16, 2008 1:29 am

Dqy 12 of no-snacking and no s is a SUCCESS
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Working for 13 consecutive days of no snacking

Post by BrightAngel » Fri May 16, 2008 11:57 am

Today is a Friday, and I am working on getting 13 no-snack days in a row,
(and 13 no s days.)

I hereby declare day 13 to be a
SUCCESS
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Working for 14 consecutive days of no snacking

Post by BrightAngel » Sat May 17, 2008 1:13 pm

Today is Saturday, and I am working on my 14th No-Snacking Day.

Since today is an S day, I can't fail at No-S....
so I figure I'll get the next 2 days of that no matter what I do...
which will put me at 16 successful No-S days.

The No-Snacking days are a lot harder,
but I am working to get 21 (and hopefully 30) in a row,
in order to get a good start at building a No-Snacking Habit.

At the beginning of this, I didn't intend to work at the full No S Plan,
just the no-snacking part...(along with my daily calorie restrictions)
...however, in doing that, the rest of No S became almost automatic.

I'll check in tonight with my day's results.


It is now 8:30 p.m., and I'm headed for bed.
My 14th no-snack day (and my No S day) was a
SUCCESS
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Working for 15 consecutive days of no snacking

Post by BrightAngel » Sun May 18, 2008 12:25 pm

Today is a Sunday, and I am working on getting 15 no-snack days in a row,
(and 15 no s days.)

Day 15 was a Success
Last edited by BrightAngel on Wed May 21, 2008 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Working for 16 consecutive days of no snacking

Post by BrightAngel » Mon May 19, 2008 1:09 pm

Today is Monday,
and today I'm working to get 16 days of no-snacking in a row,
and also 16 consecutive successful no-s days.


It's after 5 p.m. Monday
I was up at 3 a.m., and am feeling very tired so will be heading to bed very soon.
I hereby declare today's 16th day to be a
SUCCESS
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Working for 17 consecutive days of no snacking

Post by BrightAngel » Tue May 20, 2008 12:50 pm

Today is Tuesday, and I'm working on day 17.

Shortly after dinner, I declared day 17 to be a success,
but then stayed up late reading fiction and had a big snacking episode,
so I have to declare day 17 to be a
FAILURE
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Another N day

Post by BrightAngel » Wed May 21, 2008 12:24 pm

Well, I don't feel like begining to count from number one again right now, :oops:
So, I'll just say it's another N day,
and I'm going to work to make it a success.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
JillyBean
Posts: 334
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:19 pm
Location: Maine

Post by JillyBean » Wed May 21, 2008 5:39 pm

This is one of the things about No-S that has been such a help to me: I don't have to start all over. Every N day is just that - an N day. For me it's not Day 1 or Day 90 (which I was always trying to reach in OA so I could share at the meetings I attended). Every day is the first day of the rest of our lives. Isn't it great that we have more knowledge and experience today to make it an even better day than yesterday?!

Hang in there, BA. I'm rooting for you! :wink:
Jill

The food I eat today is my choice! What price am I willing to pay?

"There are no failures, only feedback." ~~ Robert Allen

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Personal History

Post by BrightAngel » Wed May 21, 2008 5:52 pm

This is a post concerning my personal history that I made on another thread.
but I decided I wanted to store it here as well,
to give those facts to those interested in viewing my check-in.
resting52 wrote:Bright Angel, when you get on the scales and you are up a couple of pounds, what is your reaction? Is it closer to anger and disgust and disbelief and frustration, or is it closer to a pleasant determination to stay the course in a positive way? I would really like to know. You seem to be such a strong individual.

Resting
Resting
Thanks for the compliment,
however, please understand that I have had a lifelong battle with food and with weight.
I've mentioned this on other threads of this forum.
I developed a weight-problem at puberty...which for me was age 9.
I am now 63 years old.
During my lifetime, I've lost 100+ lbs four seperate times and regained it 3 times.
I've been on almost every diet and belonged to most diet-clubs.
I spent 5 very active years in Overeaters Anonymous.
I spent 20 years in therapy addressing this (as well as other) issues.
I spent time in an outpatient eating disorders hospital program.
After the OA, the therapy, and the eating disorders program,
15 years ago, I had a gastric bypass, which did not remove any intestine so that every calorie I eat is still absorbed.
At that time I weighed 271 lbs.
I lost to 160 lbs, maintained there for several years and then
began to regain weight.
At 190 lbs in September 2004, I began using a food journeling program,
Diet Power, to log every bite of food I took,
and began, on my own, working to eat approximately 1000 to 1200 calories per day.
About 16 months later I reached my goal of 115 lbs.
For the past 28 months I have been working to maintain that goal weight.
This is my history which I believe is important information
in understanding my position.

Regarding the scales:
Over the years, I have had every reaction to them possible.

I've eaten because they showed a loss,
and I've eaten because they showed a gain.
I've eaten because they didn't move up or down.

I felt bad because they went up, I felt good because they went down.
Sometimes I felt bad and sometimes I felt good when they didn't move at all.

Over time, I tried different variations to my use of the scales.
I tried weighing whenever I felt like it, even if it was many times a day.
I tried weighing once a day, and once a week, and once a month.
twice a day, not weighing myself, but having a club or doctor weigh me.
I spent several years not weighing at all.
I've bought many scales of various kinds, and I've thrown away many scales.

The scales was never the problem.
I did not like the Reality of the numbers registered by them.
Like many overeaters, I have a strong tendency to lie to myself.
It's easy to lie to myself about how much I eat,
and I can also lie to myself about how much I weigh.

In order to face reality, I have to have an objective standard.
I weigh every morning after using the bathroom, but before I dress.
I write that weight down.
I then record that weight on charts and graphs that I keep.

I feel emotions during this process,
just like I feel emotions about lots of my other daily activities.
I can emotionally eat because I do or don't like the number the scale tells me
or I can emotionally eat over something I hear in the morning news.
............or over anything at all.....
Facts are facts, and emotions are emotions.

I continually work to avoid emotional eating, no matter what the cause.
Not facing the truth of facts isn't a solution to emotional eating.

Specifically: this morning the scale showed me up 1.5 lbs from yesterday morning.
I didn't like that, however, I KNEW I didn't really gain 1.5 lbs of fat overnight...
because I'm not a moron.

I know that it's the Big Picture that counts,
not one individual day or weight looked at alone.
It takes 3500 calories above what I burn to gain 1 fat lb.
I know that the calories I took in by snacking last night wasn't even 1/4 of that.
I also know that my snack was salty nuts,
and for several days that will affect my body's salt/water/waste levels,
which will register numbers higher on the scale.
I also know that for the next few days I'm going to have to eat smaller amounts of lower calorie foods.

Do I feel frustrated by this?
Am I angry and disgusted?

I hate the Reality of the fact
that I cannot eat everything I want to eat
all the time.


That is what I feel frustrated by.
That is what sometimes angers and disgusts me.
The number on the scale just reminds me of that.

My determination to stay the course and view the numbers on the scale in a positive way,
and my determination to accept the Reality of the fact
that I cannot eat everything I want to eat all of the time,
is an ATTITUDE CHOICE, and it isn't always pleasant or easy.

This is an ultimate truth for me:
I must face reality; change what I can; and accept what I can't change.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

A Successful N day.

Post by BrightAngel » Thu May 22, 2008 12:10 am

I declare Wednesday, May 21, 2008 to be a SUCCESS
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

blueskighs
Posts: 1787
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:11 am
Location: California

Post by blueskighs » Thu May 22, 2008 1:54 am

I hate the Reality of the fact
that I cannot eat everything I want to eat
all the time.
Bright Angel,

I really get that from a lot of your posts. It is really hard to understand why we WANT to eat more than our bodies need for fuel, but apparently many of us do.

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Working for a successful N day.

Post by BrightAngel » Thu May 22, 2008 1:51 pm

Today is Thursday,
and I'm working to have another successful N day.


It's evening, and and by No S standards, my day was a FAILURE
This is because I ate some free sweet snack samples at Costco this morning.
Then.....with the excuse I'd already eaten sweets and snacks and that the N day was already a "failure",
I had a couple of sweet snacks this afternoon too.

However, the day was still an exercise and a calorie success.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Working for a successful N day.

Post by BrightAngel » Fri May 23, 2008 1:55 pm

Today is Friday, and I'm working to have a successful N day.

It is evening, the Friday before Memorial day weekend,
and my N day was a No S
FAILURE
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

S Days

Post by BrightAngel » Sat May 24, 2008 6:46 pm

It's Saturday....an S Day, and no matter what,
I declare it to be a
SUCCESS
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Post by BrightAngel » Sun May 25, 2008 2:18 pm

It is a.m. Sunday, and even before I eat,
I declare this S day to be a
Success

In Retrospect, on Monday morning
looking back at my Sunday food and calories,
I am unable to keep from rating the day as a
Failure.
Two days a week like that would easily overbalance five perfect weekdays,
and cause continual weight-gain.

Anyone who thinks knowledge or common-sense gained from
having good N days will change my S day eating behavior,
should read what I'm copying from another thread and posting below.

I need somehow to rework my S day food plans.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Post by BrightAngel » Mon May 26, 2008 4:39 pm

resting52 wrote:Hey Bright,

A dear friend just had most of her stomach removed-along with lots of other body parts, due to cancer. Her remaining stomach is about the size of an orange. Her gastro-oncology surgeon talked to her extensively about sugar. According to him she can never have a heavy sugar load again because the sugar, being big molecules, pulls fluid into the tiny remaining stomach, and makes it so liquid so fast that it will dump into the small intestine. In other words, sugar causes her to have what is known as dumping syndrome. Symptoms include :
* Nausea
* Vomiting
* Abdominal pain, cramps
* Diarrhea
* Dizziness, lightheadedness
* Bloating, belching
* Fatigue
* Heart palpitations, rapid heart rate

He said she would basically break out in a cold sweat and feel like she was going to pass out. Not pleasant-not worth it.

Wondering if they go over all that kind of thing preoperative with an elective stomach reduction?

Resting
Resting,
Yes, all that is standard pre-op information.
Everyone gets it always.

BTW, I had ALL of those symptoms when I ate sugar after my surgery 15 years ago.........
However,........... I, like many others, underestimated how much I would desire sugar....AND
as soon as possible I began eating sugar...

Over time my tolerance level for sugar grew.
First just a bite would provide me with most of those symptoms.....
to the extent that I had to go lie down for 30 minutes or so.
BTW it didn't cause actual vomiting, just dry heaves,
(which feels really bad and doesn't get rid of any calories)
and I didn't suffer from diarrhea.
After a while it took a couple of bites to activate the symptoms
then after more and more times, my tolerance level went up.

For example, at first, 1 bite of a chocolate chip cookie would trigger them,
then after 6 months or so of that, it took a whole cookie to trigger them,
then after more time, 2 cookies could be tolerated.
Now If I ate 3 or 4 cookies within a 5 minute period it would still trigger it.
However, Now, I could eat one cookie every 30 minutes or so all day long without triggering any symptoms.

Prior to surgery I could eat a whole batch of cookies, before I felt really sick.
Now, eating 3 or 4 does the same thing.
However, feeling sick has not removed the desire for cookies from me.

Many forum members here objected to my Thread which stated
that I understand and acknowledge that I am Glutteonous.
I have learned it takes a lot of Self-awareness
for me to be able to make changes in my behavior.
There is a REASON I gained over 100 lbs four separate times.
I really want to eat everything I like all the time.
Surgery doesn't change that.
Neither did 20+ years of therapy.....it only helped me learn to deal with it.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
fkwan
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:04 pm
Location: middle of nowhere, Texas

Post by fkwan » Mon May 26, 2008 4:59 pm

BrightAngel wrote:However, feeling sick has not removed the desire for cookies from me.

Many forum members here objected to my Thread which stated
that I understand and acknowledge that I am Glutteonous.
I have learned it takes a lot of Self-awareness
for me to be able to make changes in my behavior.
There is a REASON I gained over 100 lbs four separate times.
I really want to eat everything I like all the time.
Surgery doesn't change that.
Neither did 20+ years of therapy.....it only helped me learn to deal with it.
I don't think this is gluttony. I think this is a true physiological addiction. The only cure for it is to not ever eat the offending stuff again or else the cycle will start anew. I don't think No S can cure a true physiological addiction. Only abstinence can, unfortunately.

f
One must know his limitations. -- John Milius
Beginning weight: 115
Currently: Haven't a clue

User avatar
fkwan
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:04 pm
Location: middle of nowhere, Texas

Post by fkwan » Mon May 26, 2008 5:03 pm

BrightAngel wrote: Anyone who thinks knowledge or common-sense gained from
having good N days will change my S day eating behavior,
should read what I'm copying from another thread and posting below.

I need somehow to rework my S day food plans.
Never, ever weigh on Monday. I never will again, even if I go back to daily weights the other days of the week. It's just bound to make you feel absolutely awful.

See other post re: sugar. I almost lost it with a vat of cookies, and now I know I'll have to dole out the suckers the rest of my life, and frankly, they're not worth it. However, if I had a true physiological desire for the dratted things, I would have to keep them out of my life. I suspect that such is half the problem of S days for you.

I don't think ordinary starches (my other difficulty) are too much of a problem. I suspect you can make up for them on N days, which seems to work for me.

hugs, f
One must know his limitations. -- John Milius
Beginning weight: 115
Currently: Haven't a clue

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Post by BrightAngel » Mon May 26, 2008 6:00 pm

fkwan wrote:I don't think this is gluttony. I think this is a true physiological addiction.
The only cure for it is to not ever eat the offending stuff again or else the cycle will start anew.
I don't think No S can cure a true physiological addiction.
Only abstinence can, unfortunately.
  • Gluttony is Greed involving food.
    Greed is the excessive desire for more of something than is needed.
Some people term the excessive desire for specific foods as an addiction,
and feel the only treatment is abstinance from those specific foods.

Although I understand and agree with the reasonableness of one terming gluttony in this manner,
and I have given the matter much consideration,
I, personally, choose not to accept the premise.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Post by BrightAngel » Mon May 26, 2008 6:18 pm

fkwan wrote:
BrightAngel wrote: Anyone who thinks knowledge or common-sense gained from
having good N days will change my S day eating behavior,
should read what I'm copying from another thread and posting below.


I need somehow to rework my S day food plans.
re: sugar.... if I had a true physiological desire for the dratted things, I would have to keep it out of my life.
I suspect that such is half the problem of S days for you.
Unfortunately that is not the case.
For me, Splenda has been an excellent replacement for sugar.
My body tolerates it much better; it doesn't result in cravings;
I like the taste just as much; and so I've learned to actually prefer foods made with it.
I include those foods as desired on both N days and S days.

My S day difficulties come primarily from excessive use of fats,
including meats, cheese, butter, nuts, etc.
usually together with complex and refined carbs.,
especially when snacking.

I am aware that you are a vegan.....
I congratulate you for it,
but my desire to duplicate that experience is less than zero.
I wouldn't choose to do that
even if it meant I could weigh 105 forever, without any effort at all.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Post by BrightAngel » Mon May 26, 2008 11:19 pm

Since Sunday, although an S day, turned into a food disaster.
I chose to make Monday, May 26, 2008 an N day.
And it was a
SUCCESS
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

blueskighs
Posts: 1787
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:11 am
Location: California

Post by blueskighs » Tue May 27, 2008 5:44 am

Anyone who thinks knowledge or common-sense gained from
having good N days will change my S day eating behavior,
should read what I'm copying from another thread and posting below.
BrightAngel,

I don't really understand that much about stomach reduction or gastric bypass?

Does it effect your ability to feel physically full? It seems like it is not so much knowledge or common sense that's helping me with NO S. It seems like I am gradually getting more attuned to a level of hunger and fullness that just escaped me before.

I guess I am becoming much more sensitized to food volume. But it's purely physical. THere can be a big gap in how much I think I should eat and how much I actually feel comfortable eating, the second is usually noticeably less.

I was just wondering if with the surgery you have had that might cause a physical difference in how you register fullness? Like maybe with a smaller stomach, you would register fullness but not have received all the nutrients you need and then be getting mixed/confusing signals from your body. I can see how this might complicate things.

The other thing was you said:
I have learned it takes a lot of Self-awareness
for me to be able to make changes in my behavior.
I think this is a very true statement.

Finally, you have incredible tenacity. You have already made incredible progress in your journey. It seems like you are just refining your approach. I believe you will find the success you are looking for,

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Post by BrightAngel » Tue May 27, 2008 2:16 pm

blueskighs wrote: BrightAngel,

I don't really understand that much about stomach reduction or gastric bypass? Does it effect your ability to feel physically full?
I was just wondering if with the surgery you have had that might cause a physical difference in how you register fullness? Like maybe with a smaller stomach, you would register fullness but not have received all the nutrients you need and then be getting mixed/confusing signals from your body. I can see how this might complicate things.

You have incredible tenacity.
You have already made incredible progress in your journey.
It seems like you are just refining your approach.
I believe you will find the success you are looking for,
Blueskighs,
Thanks for the kind words.

A gastric bypass...or stomach reduction, is exactly that.
In my case, almost 16 years ago, it was before laser surgery was common, and my body was cut open vertically from chest to stomach..somewhere around 12+ inches. My stomach was then cut apart into 2 pieces. The top piece being a relatively small pouch, and the bottom being the majority of the stomach. At the place of division, the bottom part of the stomach was closed off and stapled shut.

As Food intake comes in through the top of the stomach, and leaves throught the bottom of the stomach, the intestine connected to the bottom part of the stomach was cut away, brought up to the bottom of the small top part of the stomach and attached there. The bottom part of the stomach remained inside the body, unattched to anything, while the small top part of the stomach became the functioning body part.

Not in my case, but in some of these surgeries, the intestine is shortened before it is reattached to the smaller, top portion of the stomach. This interferes with the natural digestion process, so that ALL of one's food ...both calories and nutrients....are not absorbed but pass through the body more quickly. In my case all calories and nutrients in food are still absorbed.

A gastric bypass is, of course, major surgery, although they commonly do laser surgery, now, which avoids the long vertical cut through the body.

As my stomach healed, for several days I could only tolerate small sips of water. Then added jello and broth for several days. On about day 8 or so, I was able to eat 1/2 a poached egg and a couple of bites of toast. Eating more was physically impossible.

For the next six months, my body would only eat small amounts of food at a time, and the amounts I could tolerate varied depending on what food I was eating, and what food I had eaten within the 24 hours previously. By small amounts of food, I mean, for example, at the beginning, perhaps between 1/3 a small container of yogurt up to 1 egg and 1 piece of toast...or perhaps 1/2 of a small sandwich, even sometimes a small lean cuisine dinner. When I say tolerate...I mean that at the end of eating that amount, I would feel stuffed like I had just overeaten a large Thanksgiving dinner, and could not take another bite...sometimes have to lie on the bed in pain for 1/2 hour or so until some of the food digested.

People lose weight after a gastric bypass because they physically cannot overeat, in fact at first, they can barely eat. The first 6 months or so my daily calorie intake was between 300 and 600 calories a day...and I felt stuffed and ill much of the time.

After 6 months, my food tolerance level grew and 2 or 3 years later sort of "topped out". For example, now I can eat a 10' plate of food and feel full, but not stuffed---depending on the type of food...the difference not based on fat or calorie content but based on volume inside the stomach.

I still cannot physically eat large amounts of food at one time.. That is why, for me, seconds is not a problem. However, snacking is a very large problem, because after the surgery, nibbling and grazing was the most comfortable way to eat, and after a few years, became a firmly entrenched habit. At present I can physically take in a great deal of food, by eating small amounts of food at a time....like, for example, a couple of 100 calorie bags of snack food, or 2 or 3 cookies, or a candy bar, or a couple of ounces of cheese, a small bag of chips, 1/2 cup of nuts...every 1/2 hour or so. ...even after having 3 small meals the size of a lean cuisine and small dinner salad. My body, with an hour daily exercise, burns about 1400 calories a day. My maximum physical calorie tolerance limit in one 24 hour period now is around 3500 calories, where before my surgery there were days when I could take in over 10,000 calories. I was a binge eater, and did not purge.

Prior to surgery I was aware of the process, the risks, and the after-effects. It was a decision I did not make lightly, and in fact, a year before I had it, my therapist and I together decided on taking that option in one year's time, if I was unable to get back on some food plan that would drop some weight or at least stop my weight from climbing further within that time limit. I was around 47 years old at the time, and in good health...except that I was 5'0" tall weighing 270 lbs....after having lost over 100 lbs three separate times in my life, and each time regaining that weight and more. I had undergone many years of therapy on that issue (as well as others). I had exhausted every effort, and I was ready for that step.

About 9 months after my surgery I weighed 160 lbs and during that time I ate everything my body would tolerate without restriction. ALTHOUGH, my doctor's instructions were to "eat 3 meals a day...no snacking...with 1/2 of each meal protein." I found myself unable to follow those instructions. My weight stabilized in the 160s for several years, and then as my tolerance for food grew, weight began to creep back on, and I had to AGAIN, begin making effort to watch what I ate. So, sometimes dieting and sometimes not, in September 2004, my weight was 190 lbs....and climbing.

It was at that point I discovered the software program, Diet Power, and I began using it daily, writing down every bit of food that I ate, and working to eat around 1000 to 1200 calories daily. I had extensive food knowledge from my life of dieting. I had been successful by counting calories in the past, but it had proved too hard to keep up long-term while using a pen and paper and a calorie dictionary. The computer food journal was an aswer to my prayers. I found it easy to develop habitual use, and as of today, I've recorded all my food every day in Diet Power for 1346 consecutive days...I know that, because it says so right in my Diet Power history journal.

So, now I've been working on maintaining my goal weight of 115 lbs for 28 months. I do all kinds of different diets and food plans, but the one consistent factor since 9/2004 and 190 lbs has been me logging all of my daily food intake into Diet Power.

Okay, so.......here's the thing...I've described the Gastric bypass surgery, and it's after effects. Since my surgery, gastric bypass surgery, has gotten better and some of the side effects I suffered aren't as much of an issue. After my surgery, my adult daughter, my sister, and my adult nephew.....as well as numerous friends....also chose to have gastric bypass surgery with great success. My first cousin had the surgery and died one week later from complications. In the entire almost 16 years since that time, I have NOT ONCE regretting having the surgery, and I would make the same decision again if I were given the chance to relive the past 16 years.

What many "normal" people don't understand is that, for many people, the physical sensation of being empty or full is not the real problem that causes overeating. For some eating food is a successful device for handling uncomfortable emotions, and some people seem to enjoy the sensation of taste, and pleasant side-effects of eating more than others.
Personally, I've spent a great deal of my life in actual hunger, and a great deal of my life uncomfortable from being too full. I find the physical sensation of hunger by far the most acceptable of the two feelings.

I hate being fat. I've been fat, and I've been thin, and thin is better.
So as an intelligent being, why would I choose to engage in behavior that makes me fat? I've found I couldn't FIX that through a lifetime of dieting, my major surgery, or by more than 20 years of therapy, so what I've learned to do is ACCEPT that the desire to overeat is a problem for me that isn't ever going away...and since I want to be thin, I just have to deal with it every single day...one-day-at-a-time.

When I'm in a public place and I see a woman who is overweight or fat eating something really fattening.....I don't think...."oh, dear...they shouldn't be doing that"....What I intensely know from my own personal experience is the HIGH PRICE they have chosen to pay for that food, and how valuable and desirable it is to them, I say "Go Girl, you enjoy that food. You deserve to enjoy your food far more than someone who is thin."
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Tuesday, working for a successful N day.

Post by BrightAngel » Tue May 27, 2008 2:26 pm

Today is Tuesday, and I'm working for a successful N day.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
JillyBean
Posts: 334
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:19 pm
Location: Maine

Post by JillyBean » Tue May 27, 2008 2:44 pm

BrightAngel wrote: When I'm in a public place and I see a woman who is overweight or fat eating something really fattening.....I don't think...."oh, dear...they shouldn't be doing that"....What I intensely know from my own personal experience is the HIGH PRICE they have chosen to pay for that food, and how valuable and desirable it is to them, I say "Go Girl, you enjoy that food. You deserve to enjoy your food far more than someone who is thin."
The thing is, I don't think she truly is enjoying the food. At least, that has been my experience. My experience with eating things that I know are going to make me gain weight has been guilt and shame. Oh, sure, I might look like I'm enjoying it and I might be trying to convince myself that I am enjoying it. But, really, I'm not. I don't feel entitled to it. And I feel resentment that I am going to have to pay such a high price for it. Why do I have to pay so much more for it than a skinny woman who could eat it and not gain an ounce?

Now, I wrote that in the present tense, because for me it was not so long ago that I was feeling just that way. But, today I am not bingeing and neither am I having guilt thoughts on my S-Days. I am thrilled to have found No S to help me, once and for all, change my thinking.

I relate to a lot of the things you say, BA, even though I have not had all the experiences you have. I do believe that we think and feel similarly on several subjects. I have great compassion for overweight people. (If you don't believe me, ask my husband! We have had huge discussions about it.) But, I just can't imagine the overweight person truly enjoying the excess.
Jill

The food I eat today is my choice! What price am I willing to pay?

"There are no failures, only feedback." ~~ Robert Allen

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Post by BrightAngel » Tue May 27, 2008 2:57 pm

JillyBean wrote:I just can't imagine the overweight person truly enjoying the excess.
We are all capable of having many conflicting feelings at the same time.
Although part of the High Price I paid for overeating was Guilt and Shame,
Those negative feelings did not Extinguish my positive feelings of Enjoyment
while in the act of eating lots and lots of tasty food.

I think, somehow, many people find it more "morally" acceptable
to discount the actual Pleasure one feels
while they are engaging themselves in "unacceptable" behavior.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
JillyBean
Posts: 334
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:19 pm
Location: Maine

Post by JillyBean » Tue May 27, 2008 4:11 pm

BrightAngel wrote: I think, somehow, many people find it more "morally" acceptable to discount the actual Pleasure one feels
while they are engaging themselves in "unacceptable" behavior.
Aaaah! I think you may be right about that. :idea: "Food for thought" for me today. :!:
Jill

The food I eat today is my choice! What price am I willing to pay?

"There are no failures, only feedback." ~~ Robert Allen

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Post by BrightAngel » Wed May 28, 2008 1:21 am

Today, Tuesday's N day was a SUCCESS
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Working for a successful N day.

Post by BrightAngel » Wed May 28, 2008 1:46 pm

Today is Wednesday,
and I'm working for a successful N day.


It's now about 6:30 p.m.
and I had a
wonderfully successful low-calorie day,
with small appropriately healthy meals....under 1000 calories;
together with 100% of my Protein RDA, divided between 3 meals
However, mid-afternoon I chose to eat a snack of 1/2 oz of light Ruffle potato chips totalling 35 calories,
so that makes it a No S
Failure
However I do not personally view the day as a Failure,
and while all-or-nothing thinking in terms of: success/failure may be great for building Habit,
it is psychologically very negative for people who have trouble with food,
and can be a big trigger for Bingeing.
I'm not certain how long it will be, before I make some changes in that terminology for my own use.

I see today more in terms of a slightly lower level of Success.
Not as having a "failure"

Webster on Failure:" lack of success; falling short; deficiency; deterioration; decay.".........
I think there might be a better terminology for today than Failure.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Working for a successful N day.

Post by BrightAngel » Thu May 29, 2008 3:25 pm

It is Thursday morning,
and I am working for a successful N day.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
JillyBean
Posts: 334
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:19 pm
Location: Maine

Post by JillyBean » Thu May 29, 2008 5:45 pm

What about "feedback"? (See my signature...)

But, really, I know that "feedback" isn't exactly the word you are looking for, either. But how about this: Why the need to label it at all? If putting a label on it causes the old binge behavior to rear it's ugly head, maybe it's best not to apply labels at all? Sort of like the scale, I think, though I know your stance on the scales so maybe that won't help you.

I am not in denial about what's happening with me, but I am also not striving for the perfection that I used to, which I realize now was just a way to have an excuse to binge. (I've blown it today, so I might as well finish off the other junk in the house too, then tomorrow I'll start over...) So far I have not had to type failure much with regard to No S, but I DO KNOW what getting on the scales and seeing what I would call a failure does to me!

Basically, I think it's all in our minds. It's how we process what is happening for us that determines our next action. If I change my thinking to a more positive light, everything seems easier and more positive. We walk a fine line sometimes, don't we, I mean, between denial and labelling?

At any rate, BA, I'm thinking of you and wishing you well...
Jill

The food I eat today is my choice! What price am I willing to pay?

"There are no failures, only feedback." ~~ Robert Allen

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Post by BrightAngel » Thu May 29, 2008 11:31 pm

Thanks Jilly Bean.

It is now Thursday evening, and
I declare today to be a No S
SUCCESS
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
JillyBean
Posts: 334
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:19 pm
Location: Maine

Post by JillyBean » Fri May 30, 2008 12:31 am

Yee-hah!! Glad to "hear" it!
Jill

The food I eat today is my choice! What price am I willing to pay?

"There are no failures, only feedback." ~~ Robert Allen

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Working for a successful N day.

Post by BrightAngel » Fri May 30, 2008 12:21 pm

Today is Friday,
Another day in which to Excel.
:wink:

Today, an afternoon snack.
So, although it was a successful low-calorie day,
it falls under the defitition of No S
failure
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Working for a successful day.

Post by BrightAngel » Sat May 31, 2008 2:30 pm

Working toward a successful day.
Saturday morning Reminder to self:
An S day,
only gives me the OPTION,
it does not mean that I MUST have snacks, sweets, or seconds.


It is Saturday evening,
and I consider this a successful S day.
I had one snack, and ate just below my maintenance calorie level.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Working for a successful day.

Post by BrightAngel » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:04 pm

Today is Sunday, an S day,
and I am working to have a successful day.
Today I will remember
that while sweets, snacks, and seconds are an OPTION,
they are NOT A REQUIREMENT of S days.


It is Sunday evening,
and I chose to exercise the No S options,
however, my total calorie intake was a still bit less than my total burn,
so I consider it a successful day.

SUCCESS
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Working for a successful N day.

Post by BrightAngel » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:22 pm

It's Monday morning, and
I'm working toward a successful N day.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
OrganicGal
Posts: 481
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:08 pm
Location: Peterborough

Post by OrganicGal » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:24 pm

Good going BA!!!!
Creating and sustaining the No S habits are the only thing that will take me in the direction I want to go!

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:13 am

Monday turned out to be an N day failure.
Ate 2 cookies at a long and boring awards dinner.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:34 pm

Today is Tuesday, my 19th Anniversary.
Tomorrow my husband has eye surgery.
Thurs is expected to be me doing extensive nurse/therapist duty w/ him.
Fri is step-son's visit from his out-of-state home.
I expect it to be an unusually difficult week for me,
and so this week, I have decided that any day I need to post as 'failure',
I'm going to choose instead to make it an S day,
and I will consider it a successful S day
unless I behave like an Idiot with food.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
OrganicGal
Posts: 481
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:08 pm
Location: Peterborough

Post by OrganicGal » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:49 pm

Good thinking BrightAngel. In tough, stressful times we have to be easy with ourselves, but like you said...not idiots.

Happy Anniversary :D , and my good wishes and thoughts will be for a successful surgery & recovery for your husband.
Creating and sustaining the No S habits are the only thing that will take me in the direction I want to go!

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:53 pm

Anniversay celebration permasnacking all afternoon.
Too full so skipped dinner.
Too much food, but not an Idiot so S day,
Successful
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

blueskighs
Posts: 1787
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:11 am
Location: California

Post by blueskighs » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:58 am

Yes Bright Angel,

Congratulations on your 19 year Anniversary!

Blueskgihs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

User avatar
fkwan
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:04 pm
Location: middle of nowhere, Texas

Post by fkwan » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:03 am

blueskighs wrote:Yes Bright Angel,

Congratulations on your 19 year Anniversary!

Blueskgihs
Ditto ditto ditto! :)

f
One must know his limitations. -- John Milius
Beginning weight: 115
Currently: Haven't a clue

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Post by BrightAngel » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:06 pm

Thanks for the Anniversary wishes.
I'm checking in for another day.
A certain event today will make it a Challenging one,
but I'm going to try not to make it an S day unless I have to....
because yesterday was already one.


I chose to make it an S day.
to avoid additional guilt and remorse over my poor food choices.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

No-snacking, Day 1....again.

Post by BrightAngel » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:49 pm

Today is Thursday, an N day.
At this point, I'd like to have even Just One no-snacking day.
So I'm calling today: No-Snacking, Day 1, again


It's now bedtime,
and I consider today a
Success
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

resting52
Posts: 445
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:59 pm
Location: Between the mountains and the beach

Post by resting52 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:27 pm

Hey Bright,

Hope the surgery went well. I think that is just SMART to take life into consideration.

Resting

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Post by BrightAngel » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:11 pm

Today I will focus on making this a successful N day.



It is now 8 p.m. Friday evening.
Today's N day was a success until 7:30 when I snacked
on Optimized oatmeal.
I'm having doubts that I will ever be able to establish a no-snacking habit.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

User avatar
BrightAngel
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Central California
Contact:

Making some Changes

Post by BrightAngel » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:22 pm

It's Saturday morning,
Although I'm not going to specifiy exactly what they are,
I'm making some changes to my No S plan,
hoping to make it more applicable to my personal needs.
We'll see.

Anyway, I will continue my daily use of Habit Cal,
but I plan to check in here just occasionally.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

Post Reply