Australian Diet book tops Harry Potter

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

reinhard
Site Admin

Australian Diet book tops Harry Potter

Post by reinhard » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:40 pm

(in Australia at least)

It's called the CSIRO diet, a "low-carbohydrate, high-protein diet...created by government scientists."

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/SYD152216.htm

Anyone familiar with this book?
Although best known internationally as a sports-mad country full of fit, bronzed youth, Australia is in reality battling the bulge as it challenges the United States for the title of world's fattest nation.
I'm shocked!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:39 pm

How is it different from Atkins, which is also lo-carb, hi-protein?
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:43 pm

Okay, speak up Ozzies!
I know that the few folk here that are representative of Oz are pretty health conscious people...
I think that Australia is also much more invested into *PREVENTATIVE* healthcare than here in the USA and possibly in other nations...

So I'm not surprised that the Government is getting involved in a proactive solution, like creating a national diet, which will save lives and money...
Incidentally, intergrative/alternative healthcare is way more assimilated into the general public over there, then over here... I think.. I am basing this on conversations with my good friend Simon, the didgeridoo player...

He's from Byron Bay, a town full of alternative healthcare practitioners...
Here's his link for music... www.naturebeat-music.com

So, what about the Oz contingent???
Fragrant Flowers, Big Phil, and Snazzy.....
What's yer take mates?
Love,
8) Deb

Kevin

Government sponsored diet...

Post by Kevin » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:12 pm

Plus, low-carb hi protein happens to be what Australians grow for food... cows, sheep, and a little grain.

Brilliant!
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Big Phil

CSIRO diet

Post by Big Phil » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:01 am

"The CSIRO total Well-being diet" is written by Dr Manny Noakes of CSIRO Human nutritions here is a web-site:
www.csiro.au/index.asp?type=blank&id=To ... gDiet_Book.

Unlike most (all?) diet books it is actually based on evidence as the author is a research dietician who operates out of a clinic where they have run randomised, double-blind placebo controlled studies on human nutrition for many years. (Here's a tip from a scientist - don't believe anything until it has achieved this level of proof - i.e. 90% of what people say and believe about almost everything isn't true, maybe 99% in the diet field!)

You'll like this bit Reinhard:-

"The Total Wellbeing Diet is structured and very specific about what to eat. It's a way to eat less, but eat well without feeling hungry, because it provides the necessary vitamins and nutrients (including dietary fibre).

• It offers people an eating pattern without being too general about what not to eat and gives direction about what should be eaten. It includes mainstream foods and is easy to follow."

I haven't bought it because I don't want to worry that much about food, I am quite happy with the minimalist approach of No-S actually (BTW, back into my "skinny" jeans today). But it is very popular and seems sensible.

All the best,

Phil.

P.S. Sorry for parenthetical rants defending the scientific method, but it is so roundly ignored these days it really shits me!

silverfish

Post by silverfish » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:06 am

A couple people at work have bought it. It seems reasonable (and is an inexpensive book for its size). From recollection, it's not no-carb and is fairly balanced - just fresh, healthy eating, watching calorie intake, etc. My only quibble after that short look was the old one: yes, it's healthy, but how do you *stick* to it?

So it seems balanced, reasonable and rational, and has the merit of being very attractively packaged. Nothing earth-shattering. But the book has a lot of recipes, triple tested by the Australian Womens Weekly kitchen and very nicely photographed... I've been thinking of getting it just for those :)

It's put out by the CSIRO: http://www.csiro.gov.au/ and you can read more about it here: http://www.csiro.gov.au/index.asp?type= ... et_Summary
You can download the first week from the site (link on right-hand side).

The emphasis is on high-protein low-fat, rather than high-protein low-carb.

silverfish

Post by silverfish » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:09 am

Oh, and if you read the FAQs, it was developed for women so some of the quantities might not be enough for men.

snazzybabe

Post by snazzybabe » Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:53 am

Another article about the CSIRO Wellbeing diet.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s1448136.htm

In my opinion, its nothing new. Eating more protein is good but they are still scared of fat. Fat doesn't cause cholesterol.
What's making Australians fat is junk food and becoming less active once you leave school. Also, everyone wants a quick fix solution.
I read an article where this woman said she gained 10kgs (22 pounds) in 10 months because she doesn't have enough time to cook or exercise. So, she had no choice but to eat fast food for lunch and dinner. To me, that is just an excuse. Sure we've got time to eat 3 good meals. Cereal or omlette for breakie, chicken and salad for lunch and pasta or meat and veg for dinner. We get into a habit of eating junk food everyday that's hard to break.

Deb, In Australia we do have alternative medicine, naturopaths etc. Depending on your health/hospital cover - the alternative medicine is not covered by Medicare or some health funds. If you go to a conventional doctor it is covered by medicare (the government) but you pay a small gap.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:12 pm

Thanks, local experts!

What I take away is:

1) pro: unusually impressive science from an authoritative source

2) pro: lip service at least to sustainability

3) con: probably still too obtrusive for most of us

I'm still amazed at the sales. You'd think some stodgy government report, without even a new gimmick, wouldn't stand a chance. They must have gotten the details very, very right.