tracyj4 check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

tracyj64

tracyj4 check in

Post by tracyj64 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:45 am

Just realized there was a walking club which is the Urban Ranger. So I am going to use this mainly to meet my monthly goal of walking so many miles per month. Of course I will also put down my meals for the day and if I had a good or bad day.

My daily goal is to eat reasonalbly, walk a minimum of 13,000 steps(using a pedometer) and one hour of gardening for the rest of the month of September. Saturdays eat reasonable and minimum of 10,000, still working on Sundays goals.

This morning I had an early doctors appointment so didn't get any breakfast.
Lunch: lean ham and cheese sandwich, apple and water
As of right now I have gotten in 8200 steps, should be cake to get the rest of my steps.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:15 pm

Hooray! Another step-counter here! Welcome!

tracyj64

Post by tracyj64 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:33 pm

Had tons of errands to do so was able to get in alot of extra walking. I can probably top 14k today, only 150 shy of 13k now.

I was really proud of myself today. I let my 8 year old daughter come with me. It was close to lunch time and she said she was hungry, I asked her what did she want to eat. (We live near a military post in Germany so you may not be familiar with some of our choices) She said she wanted a chicken salad from Charlie's.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:37 pm

You're really doing some serious rangering!!!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:28 pm

That's wonderful!!! Why should we all assume kids only wan't a "Happy Meal"?
Congratulate her choice and commend her for eating something very "grown up" :wink:
ps.. My son is on NoS with me, but his only real issue is limiting his sweets.. He's nine...

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

tracyj64

Post by tracyj64 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:36 pm

I definately praised her for making such a good choice. Both my kids are rail thin and they do eat alot better than other kids their ages. Yes, they will eat chips or some other junk food, but then next time they get something to eat they will grab a small bag of baby carrots. My son has been known to grab a head of lettuce and eat it like an apple. Normally though when it comes to fast food they want the most fattening stuff, I guess that is why I am surprised. We very rarely get fast food for the last few months.

Didnt check in yesterday cause it was late when I finally got my 13k steps in, but eating was normal. I am about 500 away from my goal today and I will have that in about 15 mins at the most. I will probably get close to 14k again tomorrow, taking a German friend on post tomorrow. So will be some extra walking around.

tracyj64

Post by tracyj64 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:18 am

Definately was off my routine this weekend.

Friday I got some grapes and couldnt stop eating them. I know there are worse things to gorge on but it set me up to fail the whole weekend.

Made brownies with my daughter Saturday. Saturday I ate a couple more than I should have, but Sunday I really over did it. Plus I wasnt as active this weekend. I definately could tell, didnt sleep as well last night, was awake at 430 feeling sluggish.

Well, I know my husband enjoyed them, I made them for him mainly. He will be leaving again in about 2 weeks for Afganistan. Hopefully by the time he gets back for good I can get rid of that brownie monkey.

But I was ok, been staying in the 176-179 range, was 178 this morning.

Get back on track today, so far so good. Got up got my stetches, weights and early morning walk done. Already got 5700 of my 13,000 steps in. Now it is breakfast time.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:13 pm

Hey Tracy :)
Not to say that going nuts is great or anything (and I overdid the weekend myself as well, so I'm feeling it today) but remember two things.
1. It's an S day.... So don't get too hung up on planning future restraint, as this is almost inevitable once in a while, but when you set up your mind to control S days, you actually cause much more problems than you solve.. You set yourself up for causing unnecessary resistance, which then causes resentment, and it can really spiral into a bad thing...

2. You are learning about yourself here... The S days are little microcosmic reflections of the "old you" and as you change over time, this will as well... But the beauty part is, you won't really feel like you are trying to change it... It will just happen naturally with continued perseverence.... At this point, I'd say that I have about one out of ten weekends where I just go nuts, whereas when I started NoS in August 2004, my S days were "S'stravaganzas" until I was well into my sixth month on plan...
So, they will taper off.. Trust me... If you limit your sweets on N days, pretty soon, you will start to get much more pleasure, especially from sweet stuff, with less... I know you don't believe me, but it's really true..
Meanwhile, I think those brownies sound wonderful and homemade is certainly better than store bought, but so you don't go wacko, next time you decide to make these, assume your "brownie monkey" is alive and well, and doesn't want to be controlled quite yet, so maybe you can think of a neighbor whom you can give half of your brownies away to right at the get go... Before your monkey starts running amok! LOL..
It's very easy to resist a non existent brownie!

Have a lovely day!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb
Last edited by gratefuldeb67 on Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tracyj64

Post by tracyj64 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:18 pm

Deb, thanks again for your input, most valuable. I only make brownies once in a blue moon, so I was just telling myself I need to get more control over the brownie monkey. Funny since my husband has been home I have made chocolate cupcakes, which I ate a few with no frosting even and homemade chocolate chip cookies and I was able to control myself. For whatever reason though, those brownies had control over me.

I am still new at all this, I got most of the system down but I am far from a pro.

I just want to reach my goal, I know I have came along way and I am doing it healthy, but sometimes you want it now. I know I will get into my size 8s which is my ultimate goal, and I know I will look awesome when I am there. I just hope I can do it before my husband is here for good. He said he would be happy if I just maintained what I have but my ultimate goal has always been that size 8.

tracyj64

Post by tracyj64 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:46 pm

This morning was weird, was exhausted. So after my morning walk I climbed right back into be and slept til almost 10am. Guess my body needed the rest. Obviously I didnt have breakfast but had a great lunch.
1 piece of multigrain bread with edamer cheese, salad and a pear. Was very tasty and really hit the spot.

Gotta work alittle to finish getting my steps in, but I am confident I will make it.

tracyj64

Post by tracyj64 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:23 am

Got my steps in last night, took me til almost 9pm, but I did it.

Today, I am on my usual routine and already have 9000 steps in, which rocks.

Lordy, I am such a pinger, if I am not worried about one thing it is another. Now I am stressing myself out with if I dont have the house and garden perfect by the time I go into the hospital then everything is going to fall apart. Of course it wont. But I really need to go BIG shopping tomorrow, 2 weeks of groceries. I havent done that since my husband got out of the Army.

Lunch is over, gotta finish the housework, get out to the garden, hang up clothes in washer and walk the dog. Then I am done for the day except for making dinner and showering.