Request for Pflaumenkuchen recipe

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Lethaltoenails

Request for Pflaumenkuchen recipe

Post by Lethaltoenails » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:27 pm

Hi there folks
Deb requested the following recipe, so I thought to share it with all of you...

Pflaumenkuchen (plum cake)

First you need some prune plums. You can also use apples, pears, any fruit in season, but it has to be fresh. Do not peel the fruit or it gets mushy.
Cut the plums in quarters, remove the pit of course.
Hold them aside while you make the batter.
Preheat the oven too, like to 370-400.
You will need a pan to put it in, 9 x 12 works good, grease the bottom.

Batter
2 sticks sweet butter
1 cup sugar
Cream this together. I use Rapadura sugar from Rapunzel, but you can use whatever sugar you like.

3 eggs
Add the eggs to the creamed butter and sugar and beat well.
You can add some vanilla if you like.

1 cup flour. (I use whole wheat mixed w/ white unbleached, sometimes I use soy flour mixed in too.)
generous 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 ts salt

Add this to the creamed mixture and beat it well, it should be like a thick cake batter, you can add more flour if it's too loose. It should spread gooey-like in the pan

Spread this in the pan, and place the plums artistically on top, then you can get crazy and sprinkle more sugar on top if you need to.

Bake it until it's brown and looks good, takes about 45 minutes depending on your oven.

Tastes really good with schlag (German for whipped cream) but make it fresh, please.

Enjoy! :D
Lethaltoenails

CarrieAnn

Post by CarrieAnn » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:29 pm

Hi!
That receipe sounds yummy! I will be sure to give it to my husband, he is the master baker of desserts around here. In fact he made one today, darn it for me, not an S day. It is an upside down cream chesse pineapple cake. It is going to be hard to resist, but I will just keep thinking how good it will taste on Saturday :D .

CarrieAnn

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:25 am

DROOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Lethal T!!!
I think this sounds very S worthy!
Will definitely try it out soon :)
Peace and Plums (or for Peetie, Prunes!)
8) Deb

iMarzz

Post by iMarzz » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:13 pm

Wow, thanks so much for this recipe. My neighbor, who is German, serves this every fall. (Never gives up the recipe.) Can't wait to try this one and serve it to her!!! That will make my S day!

p.s. I didn't even know the name of the cake until I was reading the fruit shrine posts. Thanks again.

Mary

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:56 pm

If anyone is interested, I have a lighter version of this. No eggs, no butter, reduced sugar. Still sweet enough to have to save for an S-day, however.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:27 pm

Karyn!!!
One more quick question about the Pflaumenkuchen (Why does this sound like Flame Cake to me??? LOL... I guess that would be
Flammablekuchen! LOL...)

If I make this on the weekend, which looks very likely, with Schlag!!!
How well will the leftovers keep and how should I store them?
(Besides in my stomach! LOL..)
Another dumb question is, do I have to refridgerate this, or, once cooked, can it stay on the counter in a tupperware type thingy?

Love and Hugs!
8) Deb

ps.. It must have cooled off a lot up there where you are! Time to take out the sweaters at night!~
pps.. Hi Jammin Jan! I think it's cool that you offered your "Light" version of the cake... However, I think I'm going to forgo a bit of weight loss this week, in favor of the eggs, butter and sugar...
LOL... (Gee I wonder why Jan is half my weight??? :shock: LOL...)

Lethaltoenails

Post by Lethaltoenails » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:42 pm

Pflaumenkuchen facts:

You can use one stick of butter (1/4 lb) instead of 2 to save on some calories and you can't tell the difference. I made it with one stick yesterday and it was fine.

Storage - keeps in the fridge well, if it lasts that long. It usually is gone in 1-2 days at home, so I keep it covered on the counter, in the pan. I have never frozen it.

For the Schlag - just get some light cream (or heavy cream) and whip it with a teensy bit of sugar and some vanilla extract, you can also add a tad of cinnamon... I like to whip the cream heavy just to the point where it could turn to butter...

You can also use ANY FRESH FRUIT - I bet even PRUNES would work!!

Have Fun!
LT