Short Attention Span Theater

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

CarrieAnn

Short Attention Span Theater

Post by CarrieAnn » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:20 pm

Hi,
Does anybody here have that same problem of when you start something new it goes great for a couple of weeks, then you get distracted or bored or what I call Short Attention Span Theater? That happens to me, so I am hoping that I will see this No S lifestyle (I try to avoid the D word) thru the rest of my life, which I hope will be a long time. :D I know that being here with all of you will really help!

CarrieAnn

peetie

Post by peetie » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:52 pm

Carrie Ann, A recurring theme I see on this forum is that it gets EASIER instead of HARDER as you go along. So you don't need that big burst of enthusiasm to sustain itself.....the plan alone will help you do that because it is so simple. You get so comfortable with it so fast!

Peetie

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:51 pm

Hi, (uh what was your name again???)
I have, bar none, the *worst* short attention span on the, hmmm, what was that blue and green thing again???, oh yeah, the Earth!
NoS helps with this!
There's no simpler and more elegant plan around, uh, who are you again,,,???? Oh yeah...
Carrieann!

Save me a seat in your theater!
LOL..
Peace and, uh what was that cool thing called again?????
Oh yeah,,,
Love!
8) Deb

Blue Daisy

Post by Blue Daisy » Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:10 am

CarrieAnn,

I can relate. I'm quick to forget the misery which initially brought me to the place where I wanted the change. The first week I started this eating plan I was really excited. It was actually easy for me because the excitement of the new challenge and the desire for something better inspired me. Well the next week was harder for me and I struggled more because the new was quickly wearing off. This third week has been similar to the second week. I don't believe the habit has become ingrained in me yet. But, like you, I plan to stick to this and continue this way of eating until it becomes a habit. For me the reason is because it's ...just sensible.

Posting daily has helped me to stay on track and even process some stuff I would normally eat about. I have also taken on some projects during these last three weeks to sort of keep me pumped up or at least occupied. Tomorrow my family and I are doing a walk/run for a good cause. I think I will also make it a point to occassionally read my first few posts to remind me why I started this and need to do this.

Hope some of this was helpful.
The secret to success is small, but very consistent changes.

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:59 pm

Hi Ladies.

I know am guilty of the quick-fix mentality. One of the challenges that I have faced in my life has been patience. I was a very hyper, impatient young adult. Then I was blessed with children. Talk about being humbled on your knees!!! I had to get out of myself and embrace the fact that the world didn't revolve around me.

Having said that, I do spend a lot of time in the Short Attention Span Theatre. But that is because of raising the kids. The older they get the better able I am to retain short term memory. I was never a good mult-tasker. That's why I only have two.

How does this relate to No S? I have no idea. I just try to appreciate one day at a time. And that goes for No S too. I have not had a screw up doing No S. And I don't know why. Peetie is right; it does get easier as time passes. Perhaps that is just life in general.

Carrie Ann, I think I was just so mentally drained from trying so many diets that I surrendered.

Just think of that old Stones song: "Time is On My Side" , cause it is.

Alright, enough philosophising.

D.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:33 pm

Having said that, I do spend a lot of time in the Short Attention Span Theatre. But that is because of raising the kids. The older they get the better able I am to retain short term memory. I was never a good mult-tasker. That's why I only have two.
Did you lose the third and fourth one in some horrible attention span related accident? :0)
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:44 pm

No. I only had two. Wait, did I have a few more? I think I may have left some in Los Angele. I don't remember. :shock:

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:44 pm

I have always suffered from "Short Attention Span Theater" and I have been known to enthusiastically and loudly recommend what ever daft diet I had decided to follow to anyone who dared to talk to me (whether they wanted the info or not) for me to lose interest with in 3 weeks or so - and then feel like a complete fool when they asked me how it was going.

The No S plan made so much sense that I started it and told No One until I had been doing it for 2 full weeks and even now I am only telling people who ask. It really feels like a lifestyle that I have been doing forever and I am confident that I can follow this path to health without loosing interest.

I am now on day 33 and enjoying it as much as day 1.

Good Luck and let's enjoy this journey together.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:28 pm

I think what makes no S pretty short attention span friendly is that it gets easier and takes less attention as you have less to give. I spend far less time thinking about food and diet now, over 3 years into No-S, than I did when I started. If it weren't for this website, I would hardly think about it at all. That being said, you have to make it past the initial hump. For people with truly impoverished attention spans (days) that can be a challenge. I'm not sure what to advise these folks except to say "bear with it, it gets easier. Give a bit of attention up front to save a lot long term."

CarrieAnn

Post by CarrieAnn » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:17 pm

Hi Reinhard,
I did notice that yesterday I had an easier time getting from lunch to dinner than I did last week. I have about 6 hrs. between the 2 meals. I have also noticed that unlike other diets (oh no the dreaded D word) with No S I don't obsess over food, what to eat, how much to eat and when to eat. I love this No S! :D Believe me when I say I have tried so many different things and read so many books about losing weight, & getting more fit & healthy. This No S is very liberating to me. Thank you so much, Reinhard :!: :D

CarrieAnn