Does anyone know?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

tracyj64

Does anyone know?

Post by tracyj64 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:34 pm

Gotta a quick question for you guys.

Does anyone know how to figure out how many calories your body needs to stay alive?

I have seen a few things, from changing your weight to kilos, than multipling that by .9, then multiply that number by 24. I also seen multiply your weight by 11-15. So does anyone have an idea?

I was just wondering because I am going in for surgery next week and wont be able to excercise for 2-4 weeks, so I wanted to really watch what I ate so I am not starting from scratch again.

No need to worry my friends, nothing serious, I am have a breast reduction surgery. I am having a little more than 6lbs removed from me. I hope I will be able to walk in like 15min intervals or something, I cant imagine just laying in bed for 2-4 weeks.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Tracyj

JWL

Post by JWL » Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:10 am

Well, what do I know.

I wouldn't worry about that. I'd just eat 2 or 3 platefuls of healthy, yummy food per day and not expend energy counting calories.

But if I wanted to answer your question, I would probalby try those formulas using my target body weight, rather than my current weight. So if I wanted to weigh 250 pounds, I'd use that in the equation.
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:54 am

As a very general guide: to maintain your post-surgery weight, multiply that weight by 10. To continue losing weight, set a target weight (which might be a loss of 5 - 10% of post-surgery weight) and multiply that by 10. This gives you your approximate basic caloric level for a sedentary day. If you are moving around or exercising, you will need more calories.

But counting calories, counting anything at all, is so unnatural. As Freakwitch says, just eat your No-S plates every day. This is much less obsessive than counting.

tracyj64

Post by tracyj64 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:38 pm

Thanks Guys, this is why you guys ROCK!!!

You allow me to ping and patiently say "With NoS you dont need to do that silly stuff, just do the right thing and you will be okay." I know I am going to be alright. I have been eating right for the last 4 months and I am going to make good decisions while I am recovering.

Thanks again, your support mean a lot to me honestly.

Tracyj

snazzybabe

Re: Does anyone know?

Post by snazzybabe » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:00 am

tracyj64 wrote:No need to worry my friends, nothing serious, I am have a breast reduction surgery. I am having a little more than 6lbs removed from me. I hope I will be able to walk in like 15min intervals or something, I cant imagine just laying in bed for 2-4 weeks.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Tracyj
Tracy, I've had breast reduction surgery. The first week you are pretty sore. The day after surgery take care when getting out of bed. I got out of bed, walked to the toilet door and collapsed on the floor. I think I got up too fast and was faint.
You won't be able to do any weights or anything but I had no problem walking for exercise. I wouldn't do any exercise the first week though. Good luck on the surgery.

tracyj64

Post by tracyj64 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:15 am

Snazzybabe,
Thanks for the advise, I pretty much figured the first week I would be to sore to do much of anything. I will be in a German hospital for 4-5 days after the surgery with draining tubes, so I dont think I will be able to do much. I am also hoping to be asleep much of the first week with pain meds.

I was hoping to get in some walking after the first week or so, so that is good to know. I was going to start small like 10-15 mins at a time a few times a day and work my way back up. I wasnt even going to consider doing the weights until at least a month.

Thanks again for the advise and support.
Tracyj

snazzybabe

Post by snazzybabe » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:31 am

Tracy, In Australia I also had the draining tubes but was in hospital for 1 night only. The longest they keep you in hospital for the breast reduction is 2 nights. If I could I would have stayed longer as when I went home had to watch the kids didn't throw themselves at me for a big hug. Imagine, the pain in the breasts, ouch!!