Turn the crank.

Here you'll find a discussion thread for each of the canonical and major non-canonical shovelglove moves. If you have questions or comments about any of these moves, just update the existing discussion for it. If you have a new move, add a new discussion (preferably with the name of your new move in the title). Ideally there will be just one discussion thread per move that everyone adds to, but it's no tragedy if a little bit of redundancy creeps in.
Finnigan

Turn the crank.

Post by Finnigan » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:13 pm

I tried a new move yesterday and I quite like it. The basic idea is of a worker turning the crank of a spit roasted pig, or to crank a bucket up or down a well, etc.

The move is a little hard to explain. First, I should say I do this with a hammer with no "glove" on the head. I grasped the hammer by the head, one hand on either side of the handle. I had the handle stick straight up as I figured it wouldn't hit anything this way (high ceilings where I work out). I placed my legs in a "bow" stance (one foot forward, one back and angled slightly out) and I moved the hammer like I was turning a crank handle (a vertical circle). I did 7 with my hands rotating in one direction (I am pushing away at the top of the circle and pulling towards me at the bottom) and then 7 in the opposite. I noticed I really felt the burn in my shoulders and triceps. In order not to put undo pressure on my back, when I did them the second time, I reversed my stance.

I don't know if you can make sense out of that description, but it felt great!

Finnigan

Post by Finnigan » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:00 pm

Sorry for the double post. :oops:

IanLacy

Post by IanLacy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:09 pm

Oh I like this, this is good. I just did 7 to see what it felt like. I like!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:41 pm

No worries about the double post -- I'll remove the other one.

Sounds like a good move -- good name, too. And nice clear, description.

I'll give it a shot if I find I have sufficient vertical clearance.

Reinhard