Galemarie's Daily Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Galemarie

Galemarie's Daily Check-In

Post by Galemarie » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:32 pm

[color=blue][/color]

Day One - SUCCESS

Day Two - SUCCESS

Today is Day Three. I am quite amazed at how little effort this seems to be taking and am sort of waiting for the other shoe to drop. I had too small a lunch yesterday, had to work a little late, and by the time I got home I could have eaten my desk. I had a moderate dinner and that filled me up. This has taught me how mindlessly I have been eating.

It has helped me very much to read on the message boards. I'll let you all know how it's going.

Best to everyone,
Galemarie

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:59 am

Hey!! Good to see you here.

Tip - put the words you want to colour in between the ['color=blue'][/color] bits.

C.
CaroleJo

Galemarie

Post by Galemarie » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:39 pm

[color=blue]Day Three: Success!

Breakfast was iffy this morning. Got up really late, had errands to do before work so couldn't eat. Finished the errands and was very hungrey. Usually I would get a cinnamon bun but I remembered "no sugar" so finally had half an egg sandwich.

Thanks for the color tip. I couldn't figure out why it didn't work!

Galemarie[/color]

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:02 pm

it still doesn't seem to be working...

Perhaps we need some assistance here.

Anyone else care to tell us what's going wrong?

It seems to work when I do it.
CaroleJo

Galemarie

Post by Galemarie » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:02 pm

Day Four - Success
Day Five - Success
Day Six - S
Day Severn - S

I think I went a little overboard on Saturday and Sunday but have decided not to sweat it. I hope to get better as time wears on.

Galemarie

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:14 pm

Galemarie,
Focus on good N days... :wink:
Over time, and if you combine what you are doing with some form of daily regular exercise, the N days will win out...
If it takes you three times as long to lose weight, it's still worth it, because you won't have to do this three times or more, like other diets which work faster... With those, you end up stuck with your old habits in tact and then you just regain it somewhere down the line...

Good luck!!!!
Have fun :)
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Galemarie

Post by Galemarie » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:50 pm

Thanks, Deb, for your encouraging words. I intend to keep on with this for as long as it takes!

Galemarie

Post by Galemarie » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:13 pm

Day Eight - Success
Day Nine - Sort of Success. I overshot the insulin I take a little at lunch and had to to ingest four glucose tablets to get my blood sugar up. I then felt really shaky an hour later so I ate a small apple. Unfortunately with diabetes, these things are going to happen.
I am feeling really good about this diet and feel it is very sustainable and doable.

Galemarie

Kevin

Hey, Galemarie

Post by Kevin » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:25 pm

Another insulin taking diabetic on the forum, huh? I'm type I, using an insulin pump. If you want to compare notes sometime, let me know.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Galemarie

Post by Galemarie » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:38 pm

Hey Kevin,

Always nice to have company. I'm a type II but take insulin because on the oral medications I couldn't seem to keep any kind of good control. So I asked to go on insulin (my doctor was astounded) and my control is much better. I think type I is much harder to control than type II. I am impressed with those who use the pump-I don't think I could do all that math!!

I'm glad to compare notes anytime.

Galemarie

Galemarie

Post by Galemarie » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:27 pm

Day Nine - Success

Day Ten - Success

Days Eleven and Twelve - Total and utter disasters!! Work is stressful, home life is stressful and I've been eating everything under the sun. At least I now realize how much of my eating is stress-induced. I paid lip service to that idea but never REALLY believed it. I do now.

Tomorrow and Sunday will be very moderate S days and I'll begin again on Monday. I have NO intention of giving up.

Galemarie

CarrieAnn

Post by CarrieAnn » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:13 pm

Hi Galemarie,
You are still doing great and it sounds like you are not going to give up. That's the ticket right there, it you fall of the wagon a little just hop back on. I have had to do this several times myself. As of today I have been No Sing for a month now and I have a couple of good habits instead of a couple of bad habits now in the world of eating. This really works!

Hugs!
CarrieAnn
:D

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:42 pm

Work is stressful, home life is stressful and I've been eating everything under the sun. At least I now realize how much of my eating is stress-induced. I paid lip service to that idea but never REALLY believed it. I do now.
The first step is awareness....
You are on the way!
My advice to you at this moment in time is to enjoy your weekend fully, not "moderately" (of course I'm not suggesting that you eat 25 tacos and a gallon of ice cream!)
because what will help most is just focusing on good N days...
In the beginning, I had about 3-4 good N days a week (the beginning meaning about the first 4-6 months...) I still lost weight...
Hope you can find good ways to lower your stress..
Try meditation and relaxation breathing... Exercise does it too!
Good luck!
Love,
8) Deb

Galemarie

Post by Galemarie » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:14 pm

Saturday - S day - ate moderately

Sunday - S day - ate moderately

Monday - SUCCESS - There was a birthday party at work - cheescake, double fudge cake and ice cream cake. I resisted and didn't even feel too deprived although I did get tired of the Food Police and the endless, "Just a little won't hurt you."

Tuesday - SUCCESS

Today I have lunch with a focus group and will concentrate on just one plate of food.

I have decided only to weigh myself once a month. I can't thank you all enough for your good advice. Have been reading all the threads and have learned a lot.

Galemarie

Galemarie

Post by Galemarie » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:27 pm

Wednesday success!!

Today I have another office lunch and will try to stick to one plate!

Out of curiosity, I weighed myself this morning (will not again for another month) and I have lost 12 POUNDS. I am assuming that this is mostly water and also realize I must have been eating a lot more than I thought. Also, I have a great deal of weight to lose which usually makes it come off fast in the beginning.

I do NOT expect this kind of weight loss often. I would be happy with 1/2 pound a week. As long as everything is going down. Also, my insulin needs have been severely cut back.

This is all very encouraging. Thank you all. I wish I had found this website long ago!

Galemarie

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:45 pm

Congratulations, Galemarie! Not only on the loss, but also on shaking off "total and utter disaster" and resisting my personal greatest weakness, social pressure.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:49 pm

Yayyyy!!!
Love,
8) Deb

Galemarie

Post by Galemarie » Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:37 pm

Thurday - SUCCESS

I did eat a small apple about 4:30 because I knew I would have to work a little late. From after lunch to about 8:00 for dinner is too long for me. I eat a small dinner, though, because I go to bed fairly early (I'm up at 5:00 a.m.). So I don't think that will be a problem.

Thanks Deb and Reinhard for your encouragement. I'm enjoying this and enjoying the message board.

Galemarie

Galemarie

Post by Galemarie » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:18 pm

Hi Everyone -

Friday - success

Saturday - brunch out, Chinese dinner - I'm afraid moderation was not my watchword but I have decided not to worry about it.

Sunday - S day. Good.

Monday - big success. Very stressful at work. My boss brought in a big jar of candy and I ignored it. Not easy, but I did it. I am very, very grateful for this diet. It imposes discipline but none of the "I can never have this again" eating which leads to many, many "Last Suppers."

Thanks Reinhard and thanks to everyone on this board.

Galemarie

Galemarie

Post by Galemarie » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:33 pm

Tuesday - Success

Wednesday - sort of success. I went out after work for a drink with an old friend and we didn't eat dinner but had a bunch of "little plates" which stretched out for a while and after two vodka and tonics I realized that tonic has sugar in it. So . . . I would say "dinner" was not a success but every onward!!!!