Melderin's check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Melderin

Melderin's check in

Post by Melderin » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:50 pm

Starting No S again after originally starting it back in 2018! Holding myself to account and joining the legends on this forum who know so well why this is the only sane option. Saying goodbye to the one meal a day mentality - it's just clicked that it is completely unsustainable, I really don't know why I thought I could keep it up.

Today is day 5. SUCCESS so far. I also started Couch to 5k this lunchtime so hoping this will have an impact as well.

Day 4 yesterday - SUCCESS. Was sorely tempted to have a glass of wine to alleviate my craving for chocolate, but I resisted. Drinking is a slippery slope for me. Gained strength by obsessively checking past postings and searching the word 'alcohol'.

Went more overboard on my S days (day 2 and 3) than I was happy with - again reading the S days gone wild forum posts has given perspective and the option of a plan. But I think I am better just not putting any restrictions on at this moment.

WINhappy

Re: Melderin's check in

Post by WINhappy » Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:14 am

Hi Melderin,

I'm so glad you decided to create a check in and that you're working towards No S! I think you'll find it worth the effort and a lot more manageable than one meal a day. Kudos to you for mustering the discipline to stick with that plan as long as you did. I've never tried to do so myself because wow-- just wow! :) I recognize that lots of people claim wild success with it but everyone I know who's tried it has struggled. I hope you will find No S to be a little easier to manage.

I hope your training for the 5K goes well!

Keep reading past posts. The discussion board is a gold mine of wisdom, insight, encouragement, and humor. And posting here on your Check In will give active users like me a chance to support you.

I'm wishing you the very best, WINhappy
Sometimes the coolest thing when you were a kid- remains the coolest thing.

Melderin

Post by Melderin » Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:44 pm

Hi WINhappy,

Thank you so much for your lovely words and encouragement. I think the only reason I was successful at one meal a day was because I became obsessed and literally focussed on nothing else. Completely unsustainable as soon as real life kicks in! Something to do with not being fat and forty as well.

Anyway, thank you.

I’m also here to report a FAIL yesterday ☹️ (day 6). Fully intended to keep to plan but I had a Mother’s Day afternoon tea at my son’s school late afternoon so I thought I’d delay lunch and have that as it, despite assuming there would be cake (I was going to either count it as green or as an S day as it was for Mother’s Day). Unfortunately the ‘afternoon tea’ turned out to be a few trays of cheap fairy cakes and a few crisps on a paper plate. I felt so unsatisfied that I ended up having wine and almost an entire large bag of crisps before dinner. Thankfully I didn’t have anything further afterwards.

The lesson learned is don’t have a glass of wine to stave off hunger! Back to normal today and another run completed (or extremely slow jog in my case).

Melderin

Post by Melderin » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:47 am

Day 7 - SUCCESS

Melderin

Post by Melderin » Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:16 am

Day 8 - SUCCESS

Melderin

Post by Melderin » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:04 pm

Red days…so many red days 😩.