Feel cranky, can't concentrate- how to deal ??

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

brucet

Feel cranky, can't concentrate- how to deal ??

Post by brucet » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:29 am

I started No S a few days age, and I find that after not eating for a few hours, I get really cranky and have trouble thinking- any suggestions from some veterans on how to deal with this?

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:46 am

I'm not sure I'm considered a veteran...I'm on Day 49...but I had the same experience for the first week or so on this plan. I think I was in snack withdrawl! I drank a lot of iced tea (and still do), or a glass of milk, or a cup of hot tea and that seemed to help. I don't know if this is true or not, but I felt as if my body had to adjust to eating less frequently and perhaps it was a blood sugar adjustment thing...but again, it also could have just been snack withdrawl. Either way, you're probably just adjusting and being sure you have enough liquids will help. Just water didn't do it for me though....iced tea and milk really made a difference.

Hang in there...this really DOES get easier as you persevere. I just told my husband today that the green days are feeling so normal that I'm not even thinking about food in between meals now. WHAT? Did I just SAY THAT???? I've thought about food about every 5 seconds for my whole life!...and I'm 48! Anyway...try having something to drink & stay in touch....this is really a plan worth doing!

janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:51 pm

Are you eating enough during your meals or are they insufficient to really get you to the next one?
I always try to include some fruits and vegetables and a little protein at all meals.
Howfunisthat made good suggestions.
Good luck!
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:31 am

I found that my old habits of small meals didn't work on No-S - I had to crank them up a bit to make it to the next meal. Protein and complex carbs seemed especially important to "hold me."

The good news was that with no snacks, the extra food was not an issue. (And actually, meal food is generally healthier than snack food anyway.)

Try drinking milk - that has some protein in it.

(Note - if this persists beyond a reasonable adjustment period, and milk doesn't help, do see your doctor to see if you have blood-sugar issues.)

Adagia

Post by Adagia » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:12 am

For me, milk is very important for me to have with my meals. I've noticed a big difference on how I manage from meal to meal when I have milk vs when I don't. I've tried substituting some other food around the same calories, but then I just get hungry early. If I have my glass of milk instead, I'm usually in good shape till the next meal. I'm not sure what property about it is making the difference, but it is making the difference.
Started Aug 04, 200 lbs
As of Sep 8, 195.5 lbs (5 weeks on habit)
45 years, 5' 10"