Keeping My N Days Green Over Time

(New!) Read (or post) about people who have stuck with No-S for 10 or more months, lost 10 or more pounds, or 10 or more percent for their starting weight. Periodic updates strongly encouraged -- you can think of it as "Yearly Check In."

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

blueskighs

Keeping My N Days Green Over Time

Post by blueskighs » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:21 pm

I began the No S Diet on March 24, 2008.

I am a 5'3" 46 year old female.

UPDATE:UPDATE:UPDATE: October 6, 2008 went to the doctor and apparently -

I am a 5'3.5" 46 year old female :D ...

I have a long term history of binge eating disorder - BED, which is a different pattern of eating disorder than anorexia or bulimia.

For over twenty years my eating habits have pretty much swung between the two extremes of dieting and binging. My highest weight was when I was eighteen years old and I weighed 161.5 pounds. By the time I was 35 I was pretty well managing to maintain my weight at 135 or below, swinging anywhere between 107 and 135. In the spring of 2007 I reached 139.5. That was a big RED FLAG as it had been almost 10 years since my weight had broken the 135 pound barrier.

I tried calorie restricion and began weight training. Calorie restriction with its focus on counting calories and minimal fuel intake fueled my BED, I was binging once or twice a week.

Although I quit calorie restriction I continued my weight training and reached a nice weight range, 119-123 by November 2007. However, I realized there were still some underlying issues and felt like I was still swinging between binging and restricting. I read the book Regaining Your Self.

In November 2007, I discovered an on-line program Shrink Yourself www.shrinkyourself.com. It is a very profound three month program which I completed in February 2007. I did not have a good eating structure at that time, so as I dealt with some very deep issues I turned to my old pal food and ended up weighing 134.6 by March when I stumbled upon the NO S Diet at Barnes and Nonle. I found the book at approximately 1:00 pm and began the "diet" that afternoon, although I called my first day an NWS day because I had already had sweets for breakfast and lunch. But that evening I did not snack, eat sweets or seconds and had a one plate meal.

Since then I have applied my willpower to keeping my N days green and allowing myself on average 2 NWS days a month for six months ... and continuing with my weight training. This is what has happened:

1. Lost 9.3 pounds 134.6 to 125.3
2. Body fat from 27.7 % to 20.76%
3. Releived of the compulsion to binge eat
4. Stopped evaluating my foods on calorie, carb, fiber, fat ... i.e. mathematical content
5. Dumped tons of "dieting mental baggage"
6. Become more productive
7. Become more emotionally stable
8. Gotten rid of all my diet books
9. Stopped buying diet books
10.Stopped looking for diet books
11. Gotten two cavity free check-ups at the dentist
12. Improved self-esteem
13. Increase comfort level at social situations that revolve around food
14. Eating is no longer accompanied by guilt, shame and self-consciousness.
15. I thoroughly ENJOY my S day Treats and N Day meals

It is hard to really explain how liberating it has been to stop dieting and binging. It is pretty much a seismic shift in consciousness.

NOTHING ELSE has allowed me to make this evolution. I LOVE THE NO S DIET. I believe in it and hope that I have the good sense to keep building my HABITS and remain on the NO S Diet for the rest of my life as it is the perfect balance between freedom and discipline.

I will update my testimonial on my 1 year anniversary.

Blueskighs
Last edited by blueskighs on Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

Silky

Post by Silky » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:20 pm

congratulations on your success! It must feel so good to feel so good. Kudos on your journey!
Silky
Life is no dress rehearsal...live it!

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:46 pm

Silky,

THANK YOU!

Blueskighs

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:47 pm

:UPDATE:UPDATE:UPDATE:

Didn't thing I would be posting again so soon on "results" but just wanted to record that I Have OFFICIALLY Reached MAINTENANCE ...

The six months result I posted yesterday on my testimonial thread was from my Tuesday, September 24 anniversary date, but guess what? I weighed and took my measurements this morning and I am at 124.3 and 19.6225 body fat. I think that calls for a big WHOOP! WHOOP!
After 6 months and 4 days on the No S Diet I have lost 10.3 pounds and gone from 26 ish body fat to 19 ish body fat!
AND my little pencil skirt FITS!

No S and all of you guys, and of course Reinhard, ROCK!!!!!!!!

Now my journey will be shifting to be a record of my experience of MAINTENANCE on the NO S Diet, YIPPEEEEEEEEE

Blueskighs

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:17 am

Well done, Blue - a wonderful effort and result! Thank you too for all the support and encouragement you give us all on our individual journeys.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:27 pm

Wow, you're skinny! :D
Keep it up Blue!
If there's one thing NoS is ideally suited for, it's maintenance.
Congratulations and have a great week :)
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:48 pm

blueskighs,

Thank you so much for this wonderfully detailed and thoughtful post (and follow up). I am so happy no-s is working so well for you.

The title is brilliant too -- exactly what the focus should be.

For those of you who haven't seen blueskighs' beautifully photographed blog, do yourself a favor and take a look:

www.nosdiet.blogspot.com

aka, "The art of the single plate meal."

Reinhard

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:21 am

Funfuture and Gratefuldebs, thank you!

Reinhard, aw shucks :oops: I just continue to hope that over time more and more people get "turned on" to the No S Diet. I just continue to believe that it holds out a real solution for many people, like me, who have struggled for a short or long time with their eating HABITS :D

Blueskighs

Merry

Re: Keeping My N Days Green Over Time

Post by Merry » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:20 am

Congratulations again, and thanks so much for sharing the details with us, and your success! I wish you all the best at continuing on maintenance, keeping your N days green!

Merry :-)
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

oolala53

Wow

Post by oolala53 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:52 am

I am really impressed by your results and joyful that you've been released from the preoccupation with dieting, et al. This is my dream, too. Although I would like to be slimmer and I think I will be when I am eating reasonably, my real secret goal is just not to be worrying that I will abuse food. I want to feel that no matter what the situation, I can eat in an unattached way. I'm tired of using or hearing the excuse, "Oh, this went wrong or that got in the way." It's irrelevant! Slim people have things go wrong, get upset, etc. and they don't gorge and gain weight. That doesn't mean they handle things better; they just don't use food. I want to be one of them! Also, I wondered if this was a good program for people whose major issue is emotional eating. Sounds like it is! So far (as R. admits).

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:52 pm

I'm tired of using or hearing the excuse, "Oh, this went wrong or that got in the way." It's irrelevant! Slim people have things go wrong, get upset, etc. and they don't gorge and gain weight. That doesn't mean they handle things better; they just don't use food. I want to be one of them!

oolala53,

very well put! I think I reached the exact same place you are describing :D and No S does seem to be a great antidote for emotional eating ... thank you for your kind words,

Blueskighs

Anne

Post by Anne » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:51 pm

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing your story. This is very inspiring to me! I just found out about the NO S diet 3 days ago and started it right away. I am still wondering if this is another one of those brilliant ideas that seem life-changing at first, and end up being just one more useless diet... However, as I said, your testimonial inspires me to stick with the No S way of eating and hopefully be as successful as you are. Somehow, the whole concept of the No S diet makes a lot of sense to me. Thank you again and I wish you the best.