one-handed hammering: new move, or extension of flip-lever?

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
JWL

one-handed hammering: new move, or extension of flip-lever?

Post by JWL » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:17 am

I found a new move tonight, although it is arguably an extension of flip-the-lever.

But first, preliminary warnings:

USE A LIGHT SLEDGEHAMMER. I USE THE 8-POUNDER.

DO NOT DO THIS INDOORS. ESPECIALLY IF YOU'RE 6'4".

GO SLOW. BE CAREFUL. DO NOT OVERDO THIS.

You start off with the movement-with-no-name (or flip lever), but you keep raising the hammer upward, straightening your elbow and extending your arm up over your head, so that your arm is fully extended. You then (slowly... or not so slowly depending on confidence and proximity of other objects) bend your elbow , lower your arm, and then straighten the elbow, as if you are hammering the shovelglove into a railroad spike or something.

Repeat, and you arms will be screaming within seconds. This movement works every single muscle in your arms, it seems like.

I want to practice this; perhaps I'll add a video of it soon.
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

JWL

90 degrees

Post by JWL » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:49 am

I should also note that the official movement with no name says that you stop when the shovelglove is parallel to the floor, ie, 90 degrees. For several months now, I've been building up to this one-handed move because I wouldn't stop at 90 degrees; I'd continue lifting the hammer at the elbow until the elbow was fully contracted.

This is probably good practice for the one-handed-hammer....
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

Kevin

extended move

Post by Kevin » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:24 pm

Very indian-club like, no?
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

JWL

Post by JWL » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:13 pm

Not sure, I never really looked at the Indian club stuff.... could well be.

I suppose the ancient greeks were right.... there truly is nothing new under the sun... :D
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:54 pm

Hey you could start calling yourself
"Greekwitch"!

LOL

Smash those spikes!!!!!!
Love,
8) Deb

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:13 am

This sounds a bit like Big Phil's "crack the whip."

Just thinking about it with the 20 pounder has me "screaming in seconds!"

But I'm a little confused as to when the arm is extended.... so maybe I'm not imagining this right. Video would be great.

Reinhard

JWL

Post by JWL » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:49 am

Hi Reinhard, I'll try to be a bit more specific on when to bend the arm.

Start with the "flip lever," but keep moving the arm upward until your forearm is 90degrees from the floor, and the hammer is pointing straight up. From there, just keep the shovelglove perpendicular to the floor and lift it up until your arm is fully extended upwards.

Coming down, I like to go slowly and basically do the exact same motion in reverse.

Though if I were really doing a "one-handed hammer" on a big spike or something, I'd probably keep my arm straight on the way down and smack the heck out of the spike with my arm fully extended.
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

JWL

Post by JWL » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:09 am

Also, it was much easier to do today. See how I feel tomorrow, but I think I'm going to try this with the 13-pounder tomorrow.

I found I can do this move in the stairwell of our building, the ceilings are higher and it's indoors. Given the Maine winter that is approaching, I'm quite happy about this.

I think experimenting with momentum will be huge here.
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net