Back pain and foot pain

Talk about anything. Just keep it civil.
bikerbabe9

Back pain and foot pain

Post by bikerbabe9 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:38 am

I was wondering if anyone else deals with low back pain and pain in the bottom of there feet.

When i started the No S Diet, I waited the second week into the diet to begin an exercise program. Needless to say after 3 days of exercise, I ended up using a walker and needing bedrest for my muscles in my back to begin healing again. Now i am taking my time doing housework...even lifting a laundry basket will start my muscle in my back to start aching :(

Once my back pain is at a point where I am back to my regular routine, then my plantar fasciitis begins to bother me. I dont have pain in both feet all the time, but it does limit my long walks.

In my mind, I am not sedentary because after family, housework, and doing bookkeeping for my husband's 2 businesses, I go to sleep within 2 minutes of laying my head on the pillow!

Help? Any suggestions as to how to start an exercise program that i can do for a lifetime? and does walking up and down stairs count for daily exercise when doing laundry?

I am 44 years old..and have been a farm girl all my life. There is no days off in my busy schedule unless I actually leave the state! :D

Merry

Re: Back pain and foot pain

Post by Merry » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:08 pm

bikerbabe9 wrote:I was wondering if anyone else deals with low back pain and pain in the bottom of there feet.
I feel for you! I do think that daily work/exercise of climbing stairs etc... counts for exercise--and I'd imagine you do a lot of work on the farm.

I've not had plantar fasciitis, but have dealt with hip, lower back and neck pain. I went to a chiropractor for about 5 years (woke up one morning and literally couldn't move without screaming out in pain, it was pretty bad). Then I started doing the T-tapp basic workout (a 15 min. workout). It's a "physical therapy" approach to exercise (the creator also had back problems). There's a move in the workout called the primary back stretch that made my back start feeling stronger the first day I did it, and after 4 months, I never needed to go to the chiro again. It's been almost 2 years now, and I had been going monthly & sometimes weekly.

I don't know if it might help you, but that would be one I would look into. You might call the office & talk to someone there about your issues & see what they say. Their website is www.t-tapp.com.

I hope you can find some answers.

Merry :-)
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

SassyInkPen

Post by SassyInkPen » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:42 am

I have dealt with both of those issues, and I found success with both through yoga and ibuprofen.

The yoga helped to strengthen my back AND stretch it out, which helped me feel better, PLUS it taught me how to be very conscious of how I am using my back in everyday life so that I don't injure it again.

Yoga also helped my feet feel better because they got well stretched which gave me a lot of relief.

Ibuprofen helped with the pain of both, of course, but also with my feet because it's an anti-inflammatory and helped my feet to heal.

Sassy

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:53 am

I had plantar fasciitis when pregnant, so I couldn't get the standard treatment of a cortisone shot. Which turned out to be very lucky for me, because the remedy suggested was non-invasive, had no side effect, and was MUCH better.

I was given a foot brace to wear at night that gently stretched my feet. It took a bit of getting used to, but it WORKED. My husband had the same problem later: the shots did NOT work for him, but the night splint did. He bought a second one since he had issues in both feet.

The one we got looks like the bottom one on this page, but it didn't cost nearly as much: http://www.plantarfasciitisbrace.com/ Do some Googling to see what you can find.

Yoga has helped keep me from having recurrences, and Pilates has helped with back issues - builds core strength.

Good luck!

winnie96

Post by winnie96 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:15 am

My back ( and life) were revolutionized by some of the exercises found in the book "7 Steps to a Pain-Free Life: How to Rapidly Relieve Back and Neck Pain" by Robin McKenzie, available from Amazon, among other vendors.

The book has a sort of yoga Cobra-type move that almost completely eliminated my back pain in just a few weeks of practice. Last year at this time, I was in constant pain, even in tears sometimes, but now am able to move quite freely -- walking, even able to do Shovelglove! There is also a neck exercise involving bringing your chin into your neck that I also use to good effect ... something about the neck bone being connected to the back bone, I think. (I was in such bad pain that I went to physical therapy, and it was a therapist who suggested these McKenzie exercises to me). I only have to do them a few times a week (takes about 7 minutes) to keep in good shape.

I also do a few gentle Tai Chi movements on a regular basis ... good for the soul as well as the body.

For feet, I use a product called "Yoga Toes" (Google it) that has helped me. I don't know whether it would help with plantar fasciitis, which I don't have, but it did help relieve my aching feet.

Hope this, or something helps. I know how frustrating it is to be unable to move the way you want to! Best wishes to you ...