comments/opinions on 15th day

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Sandy

comments/opinions on 15th day

Post by Sandy » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:10 pm

Good Morning,

No, I have not abandoned this site. I failed a few times (in my mind) and am now on day 15 successfully. I have not weighed myself and I feel like I have gained a few pounds. In my mind I say to myself that this is long term and I would be happy losing 1 pound a month. Has anyone had experience with gaining weight? I fear that I find loopholes in everything and way overdo it on weekends. I do feel wonderful and even my husband commented that it is very nice to not see me obsessed with food. I basically eat pretty healthy and I feel fantastic. I know I should be happy with just that – but if I get on that scale 11/1 and its up I’m afraid I won’t stick with it. Any advice/comments?

Kevin

Wait a little longer...

Post by Kevin » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:36 pm

I have not weighed myself and I feel like I have gained a few pounds.
You probably haven't. And if you have, it won't go on like that for long. It seems to me that at times I maintain a particular weight even though I'm eating fewer calories, but not over the long haul. If you eat like a 100 pound you, eventually you will be a 100 pound you.

When I think about it, I know that on weekends I eat about the way I used to eat everyday, probably a little less. But it doesn't seem that way on the weekend: it seems like gluttony.

Could you find someone here that has gained a little weight week-to-week? Sure. I have. Heck, I can gain four pounds a day from morning to afternoon if I'm drinking a lot of water and exercising.

But month to month, I'm still losing about .5 pounds a week. Almost effortlessly.

Add exercise. Walking is probably best. It'll help a lot.

Oh, and no loopholes. It's a slippery slope when you start sliding down it. One plate-full per meal, and walk away. This is hardest when constructing a meal, but the discipline is the most important thing about the diet.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

peetie

Post by peetie » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:39 pm

Sandy, when I first started this, my goal was to get off the diet/binge merry-go-round and eat like a normal person, and just maintain my weight. I decided to accept myself a few pounds heavier than I consider my ideal because I just didn't want to struggle with the food anymore.

Your husband makes a very good point. If you have let go of the food obsession, that is HUGE. A wonderful start! And as time goes on, and you are more comfortable with this program, you can tighten up those loop holes and not go so crazy on weekends.

I went crazy my first weekend, and after that, took Reinhard's advice and looked at my sweets as rewards for being good all week. And I find, on Saturday and Sunday I really only want one sinful dessert, and I attach it to lunch or dinner, and I find that's enough because I am so used to not having sweets in my daily diet.

I think it would be very easy to gain if you eat beyond actual hunger. Not dieting does not mean eating past hunger either. And, maybe you've been dieting a lot before coming here, so your appetite is going a bit over the top now since it is being allowed to be acknowledged finally. And, also, be sure you are not looking for an unrealistic weight.

By the way, I came here to maintain and lost five pounds.

Peetie

spiralstares

Post by spiralstares » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:13 pm

Sandy,

I know about loopholes. I counted my first day on the No-S diet as an S-day because it was the first day on the diet and wasn’t that, in and of itself, special? I think my first couple of day on No-S I would use suspension bridge technology to dangle slices of pizza on vertically standing hotdogs and then pride myself in getting all my food on one plate.

If you’re gaining weight then you’re simply eating too much food. You may contend that you’re obeying the rules of No-S, and you may very well be, but it’s still possible to sabotage yourself within the rules. There is nothing magical about fitting your food on one plate you also need to use some common sense as well.

I think the theory is that first you master the technical details of No-S, and then you begin to refine it. Hopefully that will happen with you.

As far as loopholes go:

If you feel you’re eating too much on S-days, I wrote a post about what I do on S-days in the thread below, it may help you too.

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=251

Or, if you feel you eat too much on No-S days, then here is a simple trick – Load up your plate with food for dinner. Now, take a look at your plate of food. Imagine yourself in a movie theater looking up at the screen. On that screen is a character holding that exact plate of food that you are about to eat for dinner. What does the plate of food say about the character that is holding it? Can you define the character by looking at how much food is on his plate? Would that plate of food belong to a character named Moose? Wideload? Tubby Fatpants? Or is it a plate of food that says nothing about the character because it’s a well balanced plate with an average serving size of some not-too-unhealthy foods. If your plate of food would belong to the funny, fat, supporting-role, instead of the sexy lead actress then you have too much food on your plate. Take some off.

Sandy

Post by Sandy » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:34 pm

Spiral Stares - "I think my first couple of day on No-S I would use suspension bridge technology to dangle slices of pizza on vertically standing hotdogs and then pride myself in getting all my food on one plate." that is the funniest statement.

Thanks all. I guess my meals are not bad. Saturday was good as far as food goes but then I had a huge dessert and then Sunday I had three desserts - but I get it - all in time.

I actually went back and read some posts, and realize that I cannot get ahead of myself but take it one day at a time and know that it will work out.

I do exercixe every day for an hour and a half minimum and have done so for 19 years. I have 20 lbs to lose but actually don't look bad right now but would look better. I identified with one post (can't remember who) about doing this to get my eating under control - no binging/fasting but just regular eating and it is doing that for me. I am much happier and I do not want to sabotage myself. I have said in my mind that I would be happy losing 1 lb a month considering I have dieted for 10 years and I weigh more than when I started.

Thanks everyone.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:48 pm

I find I gain a little when we eat out too often. Even though I try to follow the one-plate no piling rule, still, the food in restaurants is much richer than what I cook at home. If I eat according to no-s rules at home, then I am just fine. I have decided that what I eat is as important as when and how much.