oolala53

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:47 pm

If I count having started this last stint on a Saturday, I am on day 16. I have only one NWS day allotted this month, but I think I'll do okay. I don't have an invitation to any Thanksgiving dinners, but there are a couple of ones I know of for us orphans, just for back up. I think I won't even necessarily choose Thanksgiving as my NWS, since I won't be sitting around someone's house with food all over for hours.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:43 pm

Well, I didn't make it through day 17. Goll durn it! It was the old proximity problem, and it was my doing. I finished day 1 yesterday fine, and am not a bit hungry now at 7:28 a.m. I am thinking of fasting today until dinner. Got lots to do. Maybe being busy will keep my mind off food. I'm not trying to torture myself. I'm going with the lack of hunger for as long as I can today.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:51 pm

I had a fail on Friday, late at night. Yesterday (S day), I ended up picking in the morning but going most of the day until a lunch/dinner with no problem. (Hiking with my date.) Came home around 11 and wasn't hungry, but ended up finishing off some chocolate chips and then toast with butter. Absolutely no need for it at all! I don't hate myself for it but I was disappointed. When is this S day behavior going to get sane? What is going to save me? Or how am I going to save myself?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:42 am

I finally stopped picking at food a few hours before I went to my African dance class at 4 p.m. We started late but it was a good 90 minutes of lots of intervals. I was sweaty from top to toes. I thought I would be exhausted, but I could have gone on. It made me really want to lose some fat. Look better, jump higher. Amazingly, it's now 7:36 p.m. and I am still not hungry. I must absolutely respect my lack of hunger if I want to lose fat, even if it is an S day and the gloves are off. I know that is going to make a difference in my weight. And my sense of well being.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:07 am

I had 4 successes this week and one big fail on Thursday. Ate more last night at a board game party than I thought I should have, but not as bad as it has been at times. I quit eating around 1 p.m. today because I wasn't hungry but had some broth and a coffee with half and half awhile ago.

I've been invited to go to a party in a couple of weeks that will involve a 10-mile roundtrip hike into a retreat camp. Pretty cool! But I've got to start working out more. Too bad it wasn't happening after I had been on break for awhile, as I plan to get more serious about fitness for sure then. I did some resistance work tonight and a little work on the Gazelle while I was talking on the phone. I've got a friend I talk with for long periods of time on the phone a few times a week. Unfortunately, we do it on skype which I need to use my computer to receive. My living room is tiny, so I can't keep the Gazelle inside. It sure would be great to get some light cardio in on those phone calls. But I've got to go do some climbing, too.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:55 am

This week was green until today, but I was sick so I guess it was NWS. Came home from work after only a couple of hours. I don't feel that bad about it because it wasn't sweets and I mostly ate sanely anyway. Feeling good about tomorrow and the weekend.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:33 pm

Just read a post of mine and was reminded that I was at 185 lbs. last year. I've got my present weight at 169 on my signature here, but I weighed in at 166 for the last couple of days. I'll see if it holds. I really hoped to get to at least 165 by the end of 2010, though I had wanted to be at it for a bit longer to show that I could sustain it. I've got to remember that when I get tempted to eat more than I really need, esp. these next two weekends. Though I shouldn't be in a competition, my sister is back down to a size 8, and my niece is also down because of her gastric bypass. I won't exactly compete with that, except that I'll get there by my own efforts. But I would really like to feel I was hovering close to 165 by New Year's. And if sane weekends become the norm, and I get my exercise act together, I'm confident I'll lose more in 2011. It's worth the extra character-building!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:48 pm

sounds like a crap experience, oolala53. You did well not to cave completely!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:02 am

The weekend wasn't wild, but not quite sane, either. Spent a little too much time full, but I actually woke up and got hungry pretty early in the morning, which doesn't happen after gorging. Did have a couple of cups of mocha more to counteract the cold at first than for hunger, but it all worked out. Had an early dinner and I'm stll feeling fine. I'm going to see if I can fall asleep early.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:08 am

A bit of funny stuff at lunch, and I virtual plated and ended up eating an early lunch, then early big dinner. On the way home from my class (about a half hour ride away), I kept having to talk myself out of stopping to buy some junk food and scarf it down. Just feeling rebellious, tired of work, tired of having my love life up in the air, etc. middle class angst. I made it home junkless. now I'm so tired, I'm just going to bed. Tomorrow is hump day. A very slow week.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:09 am

A bit of funny stuff at lunch, and I virtual plated and ended up eating an early lunch, then early big dinner. On the way home from my class (about a half hour ride away), I kept having to talk myself out of stopping to buy some junk food and scarf it down. Just feeling rebellious, tired of work, tired of having my love life up in the air, etc. middle class angst. I made it home junkless. now I'm so tired, I'm just going to bed. Tomorrow is hump day. A very slow week.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:34 am

Geesh, it's been 11 days since I checked in! I declared last Friday an NWS day because it was the last day of school and I had a party to go to. Way overate, and continued over the weekend. Finally got back on track on Monday and have had a green week. Tomorrow after 5 p.m. is NWS as well. I've had some real moments of temptation, but the prospect of going into the holiday already out of control seemed too scary. Im a grown up! I can wait until tomorrow morning for my next meal, and then I can wait 4-5 hours for lunch, esp. if I can also have a cup of coffee in between. Do-able!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:22 pm

Well, the weekend bumped me up on my weight more than I thought it would, though I know it's mostly water. I thought a day of sane eating would have taken care of it, esp. since Sunday wasn't that crazy, but no. Anyway, Monday was a success. Got to just keep coming back to the habit. Today should go well.

I've been reading some material on fat acceptance. I agree that we have to find a way to esteem ourselves in all kinds of less-than-ideal situations, but the proponents claim they try to practice "intuitive eating." Yet on my other site, I hear of all kinds of trouble from those trying to practice it. Once again, No S seems to be a better compromise. However, I've spent a year trying to just go with my desires on weekends. I am not at peace with my food choices then, and it is not a moral issue; it is simply that I continue to eat in a way that leaves me feeling much less comfortable than N days to. I know it would not be good to try to have all N days, but I am definitely going to curb some of my free eating on weekends in 2011. If I end up not losing more weight, I will have to embrace more of the body acceptance techniques of this movement. I know there is a caloric deficit that would make me lose weight, but I am not convinced at this point that I am willing to live at that level. I'm going to give myself permission to keep experimenting.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:41 pm

Hi oolala,
So much of it is truly self acceptance, we see ourselves in a certain way. I remember a couple years ago, had a houseful for Christmas Eve, food everywhere. Enjoying myself immensely then my DIL showed me some pics she had just taken (darn those digital cameras). I thought I looked WAY fat so I didn't eat anymore food that night and barely ate the next day - CHRISTMAS day. I now look at pictures from that year and I looked fine, about like I look now. Luckily I didn't say anything and nobody noticed (or cared I am sure) what I was eating.

It is all so silly in the scheme of important things, but for me, a way of life. I am rather vain I suppose - I have a threshold I choose not to cross - just stepping over the line now and then perhaps. :roll:

Ate some oatmeal, one slice of toast with butter and strawberry jam, a small glass of skim milk for breakfast/brunch - just had a cheese sandwich with pickles and mustard :D drinking a diet Dr Pepper. Won't eat again until dinner (leftover pizza and salad.) Feels good, just knowing the countertops are still filled with Tupperware containers that I am not opening is sorta empowering.

My best to you,
Berry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:25 am

A technical failure today, but I'm okay with it. I got some bad news last night, didn't eat dinner, had small breakfast, about normal lunch (pretty much forced myself) then very light early dinner with a friend. Finally actually got hungry about an hour ago, so I had a few bites of leftover dinner. No sweets! I guess I could call it a sick day strategy, as I am definitely numb. I had already used my allotted NSW days, so I'm not sure what to call this. Final analysis is I feel fine about it and I know I ate less food today than I normally do even with the failure. and because of the unusual situation, I don;t think it's a slippery slope, either.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:35 pm

oolala53 wrote:A technical failure today, but I'm okay with it. I got some bad news last night, didn't eat dinner, had small breakfast, about normal lunch (pretty much forced myself) then very light early dinner with a friend. Finally actually got hungry about an hour ago, so I had a few bites of leftover dinner. No sweets! I guess I could call it a sick day strategy, as I am definitely numb. I had already used my allotted NSW days, so I'm not sure what to call this. Final analysis is I feel fine about it and I know I ate less food today than I normally do even with the failure. and because of the unusual situation, I don;t think it's a slippery slope, either.

Sounds to me that you acted more than rationally.

Sorry about the bad news, :cry:
Berry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:34 am

Well, here is where the pedal meets the metal. It's now 2011 and I've said I need to move into the next phase of No S for me, which is to tame S days. So far, in my year of No S, I have not chosen to rein myself in, hoping it would happen without much effort. It hasn't happened, and I realize just as I needed the rules of N days, I need more specific rules for S days. I'm also taking Reinhard's advice to choose a behavior for one month to see if it the right modification for me.

I have decided that I can have what I want at meals, but I must be hungry for the meal. This means no snacking and possibly only two meals a day, as many times when I eat more rich food and sweets, I don't get hungry for quite awhile. The only exception is I can have tastes of the food offerings if I go to a place like Costco or Trader Joe's, which I would normally do only one day on the weekend. Otherwise, no snacking or picking. One more exception: if I go to a Super Bowl party, I can snack.

This is already very challenging because I went to a brunch today that got done around 2 p.m. It is now 5:41 p.m., and despite the fact that I am not one bit hungry, I would really like to eat. I have some chocolate in the house, and I have lots of other food, mostly high quality, home cooked or otherwise fresh, and I would like to tuck into that, too. I just want the experience of eating! This has gone on for this whole year, and I usually struggle for an hour or so and then eat anyway, even though I'm still not hungry. I've decided this year I have to apply all the mental skills I used when first following No S to stay compliant on N days. I often wanted to eat though not hungry on those days, too. This kind of emotional eating/ overeating has always been the issue for me. Part of the reason I got online now was to just head myself off at the pass and make myself conscious of needing to just hold on. I don't know why it feels so incredibly difficult. The urge is not painful or anything, but it is persistent. Very few activities can take my mind off it enough. But I have to remember the pain of participating in it, and remind myself that this "pain" is worth breaking the habit, which is what I know it is. If I just hang on long enough, and enough times, the brain pattern that spurs this will change. It is really not as if I am denying myself anything necessary.

However, I will have a cup of chicken broth because it is a bit chilly for SoCal, and I don't feel like coffee or tea.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:55 pm

Well, I made it to 7 p.m. last night, though 8 would have been better because I was still not hungry. However, I ate a smallish meal. I consider it more of a partial victory than a partial failure. I know I can work on widening the gap between meals on S days when it takes a long time to get hungry. I also won't have certain sweets around. I still refuse at this point to keep all of that out of the house because I just don't want to believe that it's only proximity that makes me eat them. I don't eat them on N days! I just have to find the weekend law that I can build the fence around as I have on N days. But I'm humble enough to accept that I may find out that going out for sweets may be that law.

I'm a little afraid of stress eating today. I'm supposed to show my soon-to-be vacant apartment of my duplex next door, but my open times are not fitting well with the prospective tenant. I only have to do this a few times each few years so it's hard for me to think of myself as a full-on landlord, but I think I'm supposed to be available for showings. However, Sundays are often a bad eating day for me because of the lack of structure, and I had a chance to plan two things that would have helped. I hate the idea of having to give up either one and leave me with a big gap. But then again, this person might be the one to help me pay my mortgage (while he gets a place to live without being indebted for 30 years). Anyway, I'm going to make myself a cup of coffee.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:04 am

Monday success, no prob, Tues, weird schedule I could have actually done without dinner, but got a little twinge just as I was putting away the bread I had just sliced and I had a couple of end pieces as my meal. Now I actually feel a little nauseous. Wish I had skipped eating, even though we had finished lunch at 3 and I was home after my class at 10:30, 7 1/2 hours later.

Thinking of trying eggs for breakfast.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:52 pm

Wed, success.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:28 pm

Oh, my. Had a small failure last night, and now a spectacular failure today. Just letting things get to me. This being a grownup is hard work! and I've had only 36 years to try to get it down.
Last edited by oolala53 on Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:14 am

oolala53 wrote:Oh, my. Had a small failure last night, and now a spectacular failure today. Just letting things get to me. This being a grownup is hard work! and I had only 36 years to try to get it down.
I'm not sure becoming a grown up has a final destination. :shock:

Hope things smooth out a bit.

O43
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:31 pm

Another even bigger failure yesterday. I feel rotten this morning, though part of it is getting a cold? Hope that's not going to come on full blown, as I have to return to work after 3 weeks off on Monday. Lots to do today.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:27 am

I was thinking of posting this on a thread, but decided to postpone doing it until I could think about it more. In the meantime, I'll keep it here.

I think it's a little dangerous to keep restricting things because they give you a strong urge to eat when you're already full. Greatly restricting the stimulus is okay if you are really never going to be subjected to that stimulus again. But if you are, it is better to learn to accept the urges that come and then IGNORE them. Is it hard? Yes, just like it's hard at times to wait until it's time to eat. But getting over the hump is going to decrease the severity of the urges. Greatly restricting and then giving in to the urge to go overboard is what REINFORCES the stimulus-response. Restrict moderately and accept at times there will be strong urges that must be resisted. Not having the urges is easy to resist, but you'll never weaken their strength that way. They are weakened by being resisted until it becomes a habit.

Of course, it's up to you, and maybe you are a different case, but many people learn that they can eat many foods in moderation that they previously thought were triggers. I can imagine wanting to decrease temptation at first, but eventually, we have to deal with all kinds of foods. I just think it's a lot more likely that most people can learn to eat just about any food in moderation a lot more easily than they can ban common foods from their diets forever. Not easily; just more easily.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:41 am

I think you're right. I didn't learn it with food, though. I learned it with alcohol. I was on my way to developing a problem with it (some would say already had one). Current wisdom says that <SCREECH!CRASH!> I have to avoid alcohol forever-n-ever amen.

I learned that I could apply VERY STRICT moderate rules to drinking and do just fine. I think this is possible with food as well, but that people are applying a "helpless in the face of a substance" mentality to lots of food as well.

I'm not saying addiction doesn't exist. It does, and it requires different treatment, but I think that we're a bit broad-sweeping in our addiction model of behavior.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:26 pm

Well, I am just bumbling and stumbling. I've just been giving in to the urges even when I know it's strengthening the habit again. I think down deep I'm not convinced that this is going to get me even to the top weight I want to. I like my meals and think I eat reasonably on green N days. I know I'm too full on weekends, but I'm not overeating by the thousands of calories it would take to gain pounds of fat. It's become hard to imagine that I could eat little enough to actually take off much more fat and yet be happy. Hoo, boy.

I've just got to hang in there. Some line of thought will bring me back around, and I'll get enthused again. Right now, I'm a bit overwhelmed with obligations I have today, and I think that's adding to the difficulty. Plus, I know I'm disappointed that a recent romance hasn't worked out (by mutual agreement, pretty much). I know this sounds cold, but part of the attraction was just that he had similar eating habits to No S already and was very fit, so we did active things together. It's hard to face that on my own, I don't have the discipline to carve this life out for me. Ha! I just saw that. Having compassion for myself is the first step. Okay, that is job number one today.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:15 pm

Sat. and Sun. went to buffet affairs. I wasn't starved when I went to either one of them, but went ahead and ate. Man, that can make me feel like I've had so much food, even when it's about the same as a normal meal and some dessert. I didn't get hungry after brunch for nearly 8 hours, and felt just under the bar of sick for many of those hours. I've got to remember that experience!

I also saw some pics of me at one of the events. Hmm. I've been at this a year. I'm not where I want to be and certainly not to merit all the writing about this I do. I've got to walk the talk and quit having the talk be about my slips. It's 6:30 a.m. and I still feel a bit yucky from yesterday. My organizer is coming from 10-2. I'm going to wait to eat breakfast as late as I can so that I won't need to stop for any food while she's here. Maybe I can get back to some authentic hunger.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:12 pm

I'm sure you've made a lot of progress this year....even if it's not shown on the scale. At least you're still here checking in and trying! You are a huge encouragement to me. You are right: This IS our year!!!!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:59 pm

Thanks, TM!

I wasn't hungry until after Nanci left. Later, I wanted to eat dinner early even though I wasn't hungry. I forced myself to wait another hour and went ahead. Then I snacked in the evening. No need! Harumph. I'm not really eating a lot of food, but it bugs me that I'm doing it when I'm not hungry. Bad habit.

Okay, another day. Did have a sweet potato breakfast. I was going to supplement with half a protein shake, but I decided to take it to school and have it in my coffee. Technically a fail, but I'm not calling it that. Got my lunch packed. I've got a class tonight at 6:30, so I'll be eating a bit early.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:44 am

I just noticed you're in San Diego! Jealous.....
We are from Los Angeles, but the military has us here in super humid Texas for now!!!

What's a sweet potato breakfast? Is it a fail cuz there was brown sugar and marshmellows on it??? ha.

Hope you had a great rest of the day!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:50 pm

No, the protein in my coffee is a fail because it's not a natural beverage. It's pulverized food. But no matter.

I've been failing a lot bigger than that lately. Those urges to overeat come back with a vengeance when I trip the switch on them. I have a class today so I'll have some automatic structure.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:20 pm

Failure.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:30 pm

Glad to see you're still here checking in!

I had a failure yesterday too. But today's a new day for us. We both know this is the plan for us. Let's do this!

Let's post a success tomorrow.......

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:59 pm

Aww, failure is too harsh of a word if you are still trying.
How about unsuccessful attempt?

:wink:
Berry

Over43

Post by Over43 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:07 pm

oolala53 wrote:Failure.
Succinct, and to the point.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:51 pm

Friday, failure.

Saturday, No S free day, but did already read my "reasons to eat sanely" list, which is one of the habits I track on Habitcal. I haven't done it all month! Now I can at least go mark green for that.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:50 pm

Let's hang in there!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:55 pm

Oh, I ain't done by a long shot!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:37 pm

oolala53 wrote:Oh, I ain't done by a long shot!

Hang tough, but you know if you think about it, the obsessing about NO S is no different than obsessing about any other diet plan, yes I said diet. It is still obsessing. Probably not very "healthy" but

Obsessive I am,
Berry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:19 am

I know. I'm hoping this will be my last year of having this issue in the forefront. Notice how rarely Reinhard posts here? It's a done deal for him. I want to be like that.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:13 pm

Well, I've been on pretty much of a bender. Back to eating crap just about every day. I have a cold today, so that might help rein things in. I know I won't be hungry between meals, so I might be able to stick to my plan to have my regular three meals but with one dessert on Saturday. I haven't decided what S I will have on Sunday.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:33 am

I haven't been keeping up mostly because it's just been failure after failure, though many have been just an errant biscuit or such. The upshot is this morning I was just a pound up from my "holding' wieght of the past few months. I'm feeling a bit more ready to rein in the horses. I've felt slightly nauseous most of the day and haven't had much to eat. Still not starved but I'm going to have a dinner anyway.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:03 pm

oolala53 wrote:I haven't been keeping up mostly because it's just been failure after failure, though many have been just an errant biscuit or such. The upshot is this morning I was just a pound up from my "holding' wieght of the past few months.
It's good that you kept the failures small and were able to hold your weight! :)

Hope you feel better soon. Hang in there.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:47 am

Had a good weekend, despite being mostly on my own. It's when I'm alone that I go crazy, which is an element of Binge eating disorder. But this weekend, I was okay. I'm feeling hopeful again.

Had lunch out and left full, yet still had an image of stopping at a market to buy dessert and way overdo it. Yesterday, I went into a market with the intention of buying a one-layer cake and eating half. Too expensive! Then I looked at the prepared frosting. Walked away. but I didn't leave the store! I strolled down the ice cream aisle and entertained getting some and pigging out. But I didn't do it. I wouldn't plan such a trial for myself, but I was very happy when I left that store with nothing.

Stopped at a little Mexican bakery. Bought one brownie and one coconut haystack cookie. An amount of sweet allowable in my new mods. Ate 2/3 of each after dinner and didn't want to finish. Oh my gosh. I felt so victorious because I felt I had used just the right mix of will and the recognition of satiety. I think I can do this.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:48 pm

Hi there friend :D

I posted about the store experience on the main page, it is so freeing to not get the stuff I used to get, in my case I got healthier options because I was actually grocery shopping for the week but what a feeling to just walk out knowing that you were in control. Way to go 8)

I have done similar things, like walk down the cookie or chips aisle and see all the things I could be buying but was not. Good to know that we COULD if we choose, eat those foods, but we choose not to right now.

Take care,
Berry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:03 pm

TX, SR!

I had a week of failures, but they weren't massive. I also ate more sweets yesterday than I intended but fewer than I would have a few weeks ago.

I wonder when I'll be in line with intention and action. What topics and activities will divert me enough from all of this?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:41 pm

Well, I would tell you if I could. Every now and then I just get back into the zone and I am very very committed to eating right and exercising. I am pretty vain and cannot go above a certain point as far as my clothes. A few weeks ago my husband had his arm around my waist at church and my first thought was, Uh oh, there is a little flab there. That has to go!

This morning for breakfast I made him four pancakes and four slices of bacon (we normally would be at church but we have a sick kitty who needed medication and soaking of a paw in Epsom Salts so we took care of him instead). I ate one pancake with sugar free syrup, wow what a difference in the two syrups, one has 220 calories per serving, one has 45 :roll: I will use those other calories for something that I will enjoy more. The syrup was fine, my husband said next time to just use it on his as well. So I will cause I do everything he tells me to :lol:

I think I love the I am in control aspect, I lost it for a while there during the holidays, no biggie as it WAS the holidays but I don't want to go into summer adjusting my clothes, pulling on my blouses or jackets, sucking in my tummy, etc. I just want to relax, to me that is more important than the huge bowl of various peanut butter cups, Hershey's kisses Crunch bars, etc sitting on the credenza. I am giving them to the first person who walks in this house and wants them, probably my chocoholic son. The kids took me and the hubby out for lunch yesterday for my upcoming birthday. It was a little fifties diner and lots of fun. All I ordered was the onion rings, ate two - they were greasy, I didn't eat any more and had a salad when I got home. There were two choices, 1.25 for a side and 3.95 for a basket to share. My serving was so huge I told the waitress, Oh, I only wanted the side order. She said, this is the smaller size. It could have fed four farmhands!

I hope you get to this point, it is so much fun to say, Yeah I did it again today. Then start all over and do it again tomorrow. :wink: Play a game with yourself and win.
Berry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:58 pm

Had a totally red week last week, but a good weekend. REd day yesterday, but not from bingeing, which is always an improvement. But the scale just hovers. Of course, it's not over yet.

LOTS of stress over whether or not to take a golden handshake offer at work. It would mean permanently retiring from this district but I would be allowed to get a teaching job somewhere else and delay my "real" retirement until 2016, when I was originally planning to. I would have to do that; the compensation isn't enough, but it's an extra $60,000. But for a liberal arts person, I actually make good money. I don't even know if I could get a job somewhere else, given all the layoffs all the districts around here are talking about. And if I get a job somewhere else making less, it may decrease my retirement in the future. Ah, me. I would so love to quit my job-- if I only knew what else I'd do. I'm not ready to completely stop working. I just wish I had an idea of something that wasn't so time consuming.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:14 pm

I'm almost to my first perfect N week in quite awhile. I still had an urge to ruin it about an hour ago. Habit. Done with the people-contact obligations of work and it's a Friday. But I've made it to 4:30 pm, so I think I'm safe.

I sent the rest of this as a reply to a message in my inbox and I'm posting it here, too.
I've been fluctuating the same six or so pounds since last April. I've had a good Vanilla No S week, but weekends are the real litmus test. My issues have to do with not being able to handle my down time combined with not accomplishing all I need to at work.

I'm also coming to the conclusion that the freedom to pop food into my mouth at any time it is available is not beneficial no matter what day it is. I wish the desire would have just gone away on its own, but I think I'm going to have to work on extinguising it by withdrawing the stimulus, just like on N days, except for predetermined events. Otherwise known as S day mods. I'm thinking three S events max on a weekend, and not three of any one kind. After forty years of struggle, it is just becoming clearer and clearer that I need to commit to meals, real plated meals, just about all the time. Almost anything else is pretty much likely to be a disordered/dysfunctional event. That plus reasonable exercise may not get me skinny, but it will be sane.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Sienna

Post by Sienna » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:07 pm

Here's to Day 7/Week 2!

I hope its a wonderful one!
Finally a diet that I can make a lifestyle!

Started June 2010
6/27/2010 - 226 lbs
10/17/2010 - 203 lbs - 10% weight loss goal!
1/29/2011 - 182 lbs - 2nd 10% weight loss goal!
5/29/2011 - 165 lbs - 3rd 10% weight loss goal! (one more to go)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:46 am

Day 10 Success. Funny stuff: I was almost home for dinner, but I stopped to get some red peppers. While I was in the store, I remembered I had plugged in my little hot pot to heat up some onion soup broth to have on my way home. It was just before I went to pee before I left work, and just forgot. I didn't want to wait ti eat dinner until after I had backtracked to work and home again. I bought a BBQ chicken sandwich at Kentucky Fried and some organic romaine lettuce I got at the 99 cent store. I still had some yogurt with papaya after I got home--virtual plating. I'm no purist, I guess. I have home cooking often enough that I feel I can afford some convenience sometimes. And it's all kosher, so to speak.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:02 pm

The very next day, I had a failure. Dang! Won't go into the details--or maybe I will, just to record. It was standardized testing and students and teachers had been given little snack packs every day. I did fine. I did a favor for a colleague who bought me a muffin. I was fine. Then I went into the test control room at lunch and took a handfull of snacky things to have with my lunch. And I let that nice handful of salty refined flour stuff derail me. I went through all the snacks I had been given the whole week and the muffin. That's all I can say. I've had small amounts of that stuff before without it being an issue. But I guess there was just too much pressure?

I got back on track, so Friday was green. I ate a bit more on Saturday than I had intended but nowhere near the wildness of most previous S days alone. And Sunday was downright sane. today, too, so far.
Last edited by oolala53 on Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:37 pm

You WILL persevere! Great job hanging in there NO MATTER WHAT!!!

You inspire me to keep going. I started and stopped and restarted about four times so far! ha. I've finally managed to string almost 30 days together! You know in your heart this is the plan for you! I know you will do this!!! Just trying to encourage you a bit.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:14 am

I've had a 5-day week of N days. I did go for Chinese food tonight, which is a little bit of funny stuff because it is such a habit not to take a full plate, so there was virtual plating. I feel good about it.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:00 am

Well done on your 5 N days in a row :D

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:40 pm

Had a decent weekend though I wish I'd eaten less chocolate than I did. Still less grazing than last year or even a month ago. It's almost 11 a.m. and I have not been hungry for breakfast. A bit of a nuisance as I'm about ready to go take care of some things I'd been putting off until I was on vacation and I know I'm going to have to stop to eat right about the time I can really get going, but such is life.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:33 am

Had a fried chicken lunch at around 2 pm. Thought I wasn't even going to get hungry for dinner, but it hit around 9. Split pea soup and bread. Feel great.

Oh, I tried a Pilates class that was different from what I expected. A lot more traditional. That plus a 30 minute walk let me check off both resistance and cardio on my habitcal. Man, did i get out of breath.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:47 am

Not a bad S day. Less full than after many.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:44 pm

Sunday a little wild. Monday green. Weight is below 170.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:13 am

Congratulations on the weight loss!!!!!! I know you stalled out for a while....way to persevere!!!!!!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:39 pm

Looks like you're workin' it!!! Great job!

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:26 pm

Whoo hoo!

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:13 pm

Hey, Congrats, you're doing great. :D
Berry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:21 am

Ah, a failure. I almost feel like not counting it, but that woudln't be good for me. It just felt so good, though I know I've been able to have milk in other situations that got me passed the desire. Did get in a goo walk today.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:45 am

I've had a pretty good run. Mostly successes. I've started a 90-day run on the general board.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:27 pm

Yay! I'm gonna come join you.....

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:46 pm

Boy, Friday afternoons are hard. There is such a sense of release that seems to be perfect for celebrating with food. We had a luncheon today that included some awesome cookies. I took one wrapped up for the weekend. Even without that, I would so love to be able to tuck into something right now, even though I'm not hungry. Divert, divert, divert. and have a mocha? I wish I had the energy to keep working. When am I going to find the study buddy that I need? I guess when I don't give up on looking for one.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue May 17, 2011 2:22 am

Wow, it's been awhile. I've had all green days since my last post. My weekends are better, too. Last Friday, I had another luncheon. I felt fine eating only enough to be comfortably full. Took a plate of leftovers and didn't have those until Sat. And I had two car issues Friday night, back to back, but stuck to No S. Today, Monday, is green. Day 7 of a new 21-day streak done.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue May 17, 2011 2:35 am

Great work! Keep it up!

Julie

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Tue May 17, 2011 12:13 pm

You are doin' it! : All those stresses and no food!! (':idea:') Go buy yourself some bright green nail polish and paint your toenails green..that can be a nice calorie free reward that will give you a giggle whenever you take off your shoes! :D mmmmm...I think I'll do that too! :wink:
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue May 17, 2011 1:08 pm

Hmm, I just painted them dark blue to match my dress when I attended our school's prom to see my senior students. If I can do that... actually green was the first color I saw a woman wearing years ago that was not a pink or red. The woman was older than I was, standing on the sidelines of an African dance class I was attending. "bout time I catch up! TX!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Tue May 17, 2011 4:59 pm

Sure - go for it. !!! I am so boring, one of those peach/pale pink kinda gals.

You are doing great and sound wonderful. :wink:
Berry

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Tue May 17, 2011 10:16 pm

You could just change just one toe to green each day you have a success!
..and use red if it is a failure and leave it blue for an S day!! naah..that would probably be too much! :roll:
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed May 18, 2011 2:05 am

Oh, that's good.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed May 25, 2011 6:23 am

I've been compliant since I last checked in. Still grazed more than I wanted on the weekend, but less than even just a few months ago. However, I keep bouncing around the same weight. I keep thinking in the back of my mind that I am going to straighten out my weekends and get regular exercise and THAT will bring my weight down. But I also have to consider that I won't lose that much. My N day meals are quite moderate and often smaller than they were last year; I can't imagine consistently eating much less. I doubt over the whole weekend I overeat by more than a couple of thousand calories; if I wasn't grazing some sweets, I think I would eat more regular food, so I can't imagine eating so much less. Oh well, it's pointless to think about it too much while the S days are still a bit wild.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:18 am

I've been having much better S days and only one N day failure since I last checked in, though I did take two NWS days, one in May and one in June. My weight stayed lower this weekend than it has in 1.5 years! Can this be? Can I actually live life without overeating? Wait, maybe I shouldn't jinx it by assuming things will stay like this.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:04 pm

I am feeling the same way!! Do ya think we are finally "getting it?" :roll: Better now than later!! I just "feel" more relaxed about the eating thing, how about you?
Peace Pilgrim

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:05 pm

Oh, yes, Grammy, much more so. I do still think about it all a lot. I've even thought of somehow trying to pursue a new career dealing with people with eating disorders and body image issues because I feel I've come far enough to be of some good to others. I know my N days are going to go well now; I almost never have any urge not to keep the to the habits on them. And it is starting to seem normal and okay NOT to eat on S days just because I can. Too much trouble! I think that must be what it's like for naturally thin people sometimes. "Eh, I'll skip this snack because it's just too much trouble!"
Last edited by oolala53 on Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:09 pm

Oolala and Grammy - I would love to be at that stage where N days are automatic and S days are peaceful. It's good to know that you are there because I know you have both had to work hard at it sometimes. I will keep you in mind when I am struggling :D

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:20 pm

You're both an inspiration!

Perseverence does pay off - and good for you for hanging in!

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:06 pm

Hi to some of my favorite gals. Glad to see things are going well for both of you, Grammy and oolala. Hang in there idon'tknow, it does get easier.

I did NO S a couple years ago, so very strict that a mint didn't even pass my lips, rarely ate any differently on S days, lost 25 pounds or more in a couple moths, ten more than I needed to, looked awful. Gained it back.

BUT, this year I am back and all I am concentrating on is eating healthy and exercising. Not obsessing like I did last year - I plan my meals out if I can, eat them and then that is it until the next meal. No more even thinking about it. Don't eat too much differently on the weekend.

I found that my previous No S experience was worse than any "diet" I was ever on, too much thinking about it all the time. Unncessary.

Once it becomes habit - because it is really just eating well - it is like a burden lifted.
Berry

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:30 pm

How well you stated that, Strawberry! I'm adding my "Amen" to all of it! (and I like you too! :wink: )
Peace Pilgrim

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:50 pm

:wink:
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:00 am

oolala (left you a note over on my thread) :wink:
Berry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:18 am

Had a good day today, though I wasn't that hungry and yet still had the desire to eat. However, I limited my eating to meal time and had a very reasonable day. Going on a trip and not a bit worried.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:22 am

Have a great time!
Peace Pilgrim

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:00 am

oolala!! Also popping in to wish you a good trip. Many congratulations on your continued success on the No S plan. You are doing fantastic!! Like the others' have posted, very well done on getting your S Days under control, too. THAT has been my one major bug-bear: excessive S Days; still working on it though thanks to your very inspirational posts. All the best to you. Looking forward to reading more once you get back!!
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:27 am

Ended up leaving late, so I didn't arrive until after 9 p.m. I brought a few things from the fridge, but ended up getting a sandwich at Subway on the way. Ate it in the car. Not calling that a fail. Didn't want to drive any longer in the dark than I had to so I ate on the go. It was about 6.5 hours of driving.As I drove into town, I had a little twinge of desire to get something to eat and realized it was just a vestige of how eating used to be like punctuation of my days. It was going to be a little exclamation point of celebration for arriving and a period at the same time to end the journey for now. It passed quickly.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:40 am

I love reading your posts. The narrative of your journey is so impressive!

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:33 pm

Way to go oolala....

Glad you arrived safely :wink:
Berry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:56 am

Did some virtual plating at lunch and dinner because of supplementing small meals with stuff I brought from my fridge on this trip. I feel okay about it.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:01 am

Stuck to N days through Friday. Have been doing a lot of driving. Finally got a long walk in this evening.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:11 am

Hi again oolala!! Sounds like you're doing great! So excited for you!!! I've had a bit of a rough week, unfortunately - due mostly to weighing myself and seeing 173 on the scales :cry: and I had been thinking AGAIN on trying something else. Then I came back and read over your posts and I felt MUCH better. I think I'll have to take a look at the 90 day challenge you mentioned in this thread. I'd like to commit myself definitely to the 21 days at the very least. Not that I haven't been complying anyway. My N Days are fine, just the S days which could do with a good tweaking!! Yesterday, I got my diet head on and started eating for America, telling myself I was going to be sooooo good from now on (after i'd had my binge of course - LOL!)
Needless to say, it didn't work since all day today (Sunday) I had cravings and thoughts of food/diets that I hadn't normally been dealing with since I got into the No S way. I managed to have a semi-normal S Day today so i am hopeful that things are on the up and up again (Not the weight, I hope!!)
Have to get more exercise in as well. Have a great week oolala!!!
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:28 am

Hey Oolala..looks like you are doing a fine job..you are not beating yourself up when things don't go as planned (usually, right?!) and you are marking it and moving on! Also..you aredoing a good job of doing NO S...smiles all around!
Peace Pilgrim

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:20 pm

Thanks, gals! Yes, I am feeling much better these days about weekends. Very little way overeating. I see the day coming when the weekends will be quite similar to N days without it feeling like I'm in a clamp. Almost no grazing this weekend. Feels like...hmmm, what would you call it? Oh, life.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:18 am

I got through today. Weirdly, I slept pretty much all afternoon. I've been home for 24 hours and have told just about no one. Having so much free time and nothing I absolutely have to do but lots I should do has been a problem in the past. I don't have an answer right now, but I'm checking in. Success.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:28 am

oolala53 wrote:I got through today. Weirdly, I slept pretty much all afternoon. I've been home for 24 hours and have told just about no one. Having so much free time and nothing I absolutely have to do but lots I should do has been a problem in the past. I don't have an answer right now, but I'm checking in. Success.
I know that story!

Good luck with your day. When I am successful in similar circumstances, I have a skeleton of "routine" (regular meals, some exercise) and time-limited intense periods of work after which I get a reward of some kind. Sometimes I do it in short bursts. (Set the timer for 20 minutes, do whatever for that long - which usually gets me "in" it enough to work longer, lol! - and then take a break, knit, listen to a podcast, or do something else "fun".) Sometimes I break up the day - if I work hard all morning, I can go play all afternoon. Either way, it's better if I work hard and play hard in that order.

(And I am not always successful. But you probably guessed that.)

Again, good luck with your day!!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:25 am

Again, had a pretty lazy day but my eating was fine. Just my three meals and not much temptation to eat more. I even skipped my mocha until after dinner.

Also, my 94-year-old Zen teacher, Charlotte Joko Beck, died early this morning. She had not been suffering, and her daughter, a physician, said the room was filled with peace. Joko did not start teaching until she was in her 60's, after raising a family and having two careers, one as a concert pianist with small symphonies, and one as an administrator at UCSD. Earlier, her husband was found to be certifiably insane. Later, her Zen master was found to be an alcoholic and to be sleeping with his students. She broke off and pretty much started her own "school" of Zen, called Ordinary Dharma, one more concerned with the preciousness of the everday moment rather than some stupendous moment of enlightenment, though she had clearly had some important experience that informed her teaching. I was privileged enough to get to visit with her and talk with her last Wednesday. In some ways, my years with Zen helped prepare me to accept No S. Sitting on a cushion, accepting whatever thoughts come and go, whatever sensations come and go, whatever pains come and go, was very good practice for accepting the urges that come and usually go between meals. And I had years before learned to savor my meals. I sometimes tried to practice the principles of sticking to an eating plan on my own, and using my Zen practice, but the structure of No S helped me put it in a better framework. And Zen helped me be okay with myself when I messed up most of the time, as Reinhard in his natural young wisdom, recommended as well. Though I had not called her for talks on the phone for many months, I had the schedule of her available call times on my google calendar for the last year and into the future, three times a week. It was a bit strange today to go in and delete all the future reminders. Zen is already such a weird thing to follow in this culture and it can be hard to find real life guides in such close proximity. But in the end, we're on our own with our connection with oneness, anyway.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

SkyKitty

Post by SkyKitty » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:29 am

Oolala, I'm sorry to hear of your loss, she sounds like a great lady, our thoughts are with you.

***hugs***
When nothing goes right...go left.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:03 am

My condolences as well. She sounds like a remarkable lady.

I also want to say: you go girl! I had been away from the boards for some months and it really sounds like you have your groove/ a sense of peace with No S. You are doing great & I am so happy for you!
Restarted No S (3rd times a charm!) January 2010 at 145 lbs