oolala53

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:15 pm

I just bought a $30 scale that supposedly has an app that records body fat for me. The reviews were good but the price seemed too good to be true. We'll see!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3; 8/14-24.5; 5/15-26.2; 1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6; 8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9; 3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8; 1/19-23.4; 2/19-22.7; 3/19-22.1

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:51 am

It records it without telling you?

There wouldn't be much fluctuation on a daily basis on body fat. If your scale shows much, it's not accurate. A deficit of 100 calories would burn up only the space of one tablespoon of fat on the body. That couldn't account for much of a percent. But it is interesting to have it. Mine is off by about 8%. It's too high! But I know it so I don't freak. It's very hard to affect so I ended up just going by weight, even though fat loss is ideal.

I had decided to stop eating after an afternoon event left me very full around 4 p.m. Then i went to another one where they had snacks out. not especially good ones, but I found myself looking them over. I knew I'd be sorry if I had any, and now I'm not sorry. I'm NEVER sorry I didn't eat!

Going to an Indian cooking class tomorrow. I never actually make any of the recipes, but I enjoy the class and the food. I feel like it I would need to practice before I make any of the foods for other people and they are so much work, I can't see practicing! but I want to learn to make some surefire potluck dishes, not that I get invited to them often. I tend to hang out with vegetarians, many of whom don't eat much dairy, either. Maybe tomorrow will have candidate foods. I know one thing. I'll be full when I leave. I often don't have dinner after the class. The teacher has a friend who invented a machine that makes chapati and oh, are they good! Fresh and hot! But they aren't served with every dish. We'll see about tomorrow.
Count plates, not calories. Three a day. 9 years & counting
Age 65
SBMI Jan/10-30.8
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/13-24.9 Stayed at +/- 8-lb. for three years Sept/17 22.8 (but more fluctuation)
Mar/18 22.2

There is no S better than Vanilla No S.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:23 pm

I'm definitely looking for long-term trends on my body fat composition. I dearly wish I had bought this this a year ago. Oh, well. So you have one that does that? And it is off by 8% (too high)? How do you get your more accurate reading done? Is it by calipers or in a water tank or something? In college I did the water tank. That was fun.

Unfortunately, the scale does show the weight/pounds, although I suppose you could just not look down? Just stand there for 10 seconds and all the data is sent via bluetooth to my phone, so I don't see it. You would have to open the app on your phone to see your numbers. It collects all the trendlines for me. I just literally got it last night, so still learning.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3; 8/14-24.5; 5/15-26.2; 1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6; 8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9; 3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8; 1/19-23.4; 2/19-22.7; 3/19-22.1

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:32 pm

I go to a service in San Diego that has a mobile unit that does DEXA scans. The past couple of years, they've come periodically and parked outside a gym that's about a 7-minute drive from my house. It's a little pricey but I have no progeny and no real desire lo leave a legacy! I go once a year. I try to time it about a week after my spring regeneration round of eating.

If had the scale and app you talk about, I guess at some point I'd have to look at the data or why have it?

Last year, I learned that surprisingly since I had done no consistent exercise that I had lost some percentage of body fat, mostly around my middle and gained some muscle. Go figure. I'm almost afraid to go this year because I have been even more of a slug. But it's not personal! Is my mantra. I'm not even sure why I do it, though it does include a bone density reading that was also good news. I say every year, wow, THIS year I'll get serious about exercise and see how that affects things and then I sit on the couch.
Age 65
SBMI Jan/10-30.8
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/13-24.9 Stayed at +/- 8-lb. for three years Sept/17 22.8 (but more fluctuation)
Mar/18 22.2

sharon227

Post by sharon227 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:49 pm

I think if you make healthy eating choices - less refined carbs specifically - you may lower your overall body fat. So I've read. (Which would help explain why my body fat composition is very high even though I exercise almost daily and my BMI has never been above normal.)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:53 pm

You're right, Sharon, though I've been at this for nine years and probably eat a lot fewer refined carbs than most over the course of a year. (I'm going through a phase of eating more lately because of some other changes I'm making and I don't want to put too many clamps on my eating.) I'm actually not trying specifically to lower my body fat or even my weight, though I don't complain when it goes down! I know that sounds paradoxical since I do get the scans but it's mostly because I wanted to see how my muscle is doing as I age. Also paradoxical since I do so little about it consistently. Another of our inanities in life? I guess I think eventually the discrepancy will kick in and I'll do something different with regards to exercise. But it doesn't have to change my body composition for me to think it is successful, just as my eating can be successful for me even if I don't lose weight. I'm not willing to do much more than I am for any reason besides just finding a routine that fits my hunger/satisfaction/pleasure criteria. Vanilla worked for years but hasn't for awhile, so I experiment. I don't go into a lot of details here, or I go into fewer then there are because- well, just because. I'm actually trying to get less caught up in it all, though having retired in the last few weeks has sent me back here and to Spark. More fun than the stuff I should be doing! Or just part of the old obsession.

I don't recommend at all relying on eating completely for weight loss even though that's all I've done to get to where I am. I don't think I'd be a lot leaner, but I'd probably carry a few more pounds than I do and it gets more important as I age. Not to mention that I'd be stronger and probably have better balance, also an issue for aging.

I'm going to go make my decaf au lait and lift a few weights!
Age 65
SBMI Jan/10-30.8
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/18 22.2

sharon227

Post by sharon227 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:33 am

Exercise is great for my general physical and mental health. I do it to feel good, physically and mentally, and don't think about whether it helps or doesn't help my weight loss/maintenance. Geez, I really ought to think about my eating the same way. I'm not obsessed about exercising the way I am about food. Definitely worth a mind re-set!

Finding a routine that fits your hunger/satisfaction/pleasure criteria sounds very wise. I guess I'm still working on something like that without realizing it. A very useful way to look at it, thank you!

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:44 am

I'd recommend yoga as a good exercise it has physical and mental benefits.

Last year I followed my half hour video very sporadically, this year I'm trying to commit to twice a week as there are so many benefits.

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:39 am

Yoga is a maybe. I actually taught yoga decades ago! I was never very limber but I knew the details of basic poses very well and they needed someone at a small center. It didn't actually do for me what I hoped, but it's still a good movement system. First priority is working up to 14 minutes of vigor similar to intensity of Shovelglove but without the hammer. I have too much equipment to buy anything! I'll aim at bodyweight exercises, weights, and rope jumping. Then walking. Will probably throw some yoga in, too, espec. for hips.

Felt too full in the afternoon even though I didn't take in that much food. Oh, well. I felt good most of the evening, though, and now good before bed.

I was going to say that I I might start tracking food just to see but I'm going to wait until February. January is just about having breakfast not earlier than 10.
Age 65
SBMI Jan/10-30.8
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/18 22.2

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:02 am

I was kind of wishing for something like that, but I'd actually be more likely to get rid of the scale at all before I'd buy a new one. Well, I do it only a few times a year, so I guess I need to just put up with it.

And I think I forgot this morning.
Age 65
SBMI Jan/10-30.8
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/18 22.2

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:24 pm

My weight is up about 3 lbs. from last year, which given the previous six months, is fine. I don't know if it will ever go back down. I think this is a pretty doable and natural range, though I sometimes wonder if it should be higher. I do have food thoughts a lot, but I still think that's because of deficits in other areas that remain unresolved.

And I had a weird fail last night in that I completely forgot that I had told myself no sweets this month. I got a wild hair that I really wanted ice cream which I rarely have and that it would be okay. I bought some, ate what I wanted, and washed the rest down the drain. Then I remembered today that I was aiming for no sweets this month because of my hip issue. Maybe it's was subconscious because that issue seems unaffected? Who knows. I just know it has actually saved me several times from being stupid about sweets to have the prohibition in place.
Age 65
SBMI Jan/10-30.8
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/18 22.2

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:54 pm

I've been eating breakfast later for nearly a month and it is not getting any easier. I wish wish wish I could sleep in. Today I woke up around 3:30 and never completely went back to sleep. Even if I wake up later, I want something right away even though I am never one bit hungry. I just want it. But I don't feel great when I have something, either. Sigh. First world problem.

I am considering tracking my food just to see if I can see anything that might affect this ongoing issue. It's possible I'm just not going to feel as good as I used to as often and I will have to deal with it, just as people with other chronic issues.

I actually have my whole house fan on to bring WARM air into the house. I've thought of moving to northern California but dealing with this cold (it's all relative!) has been a drag and has made the fantasy fizzle a little. However, I know it's mostly because of the space heaters. I would make sure I had a better system if I lived where it got colder more often. I remember at UC Santa Cruz they had heating in the floor and it was great. Not that would I get that installed. Just something more efficient. I won't say much more because I talk a lot and then don't take action...

I don't know if I'll keep it up, but here goes.

1st meal. About a cup of pad thai noodles, a carrot, two scrambled eggs, coffee with creamer, a cup of lettuce, a couple of tablespoons of walnuts, half a banana. I'm basically full but could go on eating. But I know I'll be sorry later.
Age 65
SBMI Jan/10-30.8
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/18 22.2

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:18 pm

Grazed on a teaspoon of almond butter while I transferred part of it to a small container and put the rest in the freezer. Another few walnuts.

I just watched a Netflix movie about unrealistic 27-year old wanna be dancer in NYC, not recognizing that she is really not making progress in life. Her aimlessness hit rather close to home, but it isn't making me jump up and take action. An air of malaise. Maybe that wasn't the best choice, but it was on a list of good comedies on Netflix. What's their definition of comedy? I didn't laugh once.

I'm feeling kind of lost. The movie didn't help. A friend had suggested we get together for coffee, but he had to bow out. I thought we had a philosophy group meeting today, but I was wrong . Holes keep opening up and I can't land on anything to fill them.

I'm just reporting. No one has to fix this for me! I know what I could/should be doing. :oops:

Not hungry but longing to eat. Curses.

I will go over to the water or some place with a view to watch the sunset. I can see there are some clouds that will reflect color, of it happens. Not especially in the mood for any certain food, but I'll find something.

I have whittled down my freezer darn well. I've been taking stuff out every few days and putting it into a divided container so it's more obvious what's available. But there are still beans and rice and potatoes to be cooked before I buy any other grocery starches.
Age 65
SBMI Jan/10-30.8
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/18 22.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:48 am

I hope the sunset soothes your restless soul, Oolala. hugs
Month/Year-BMI

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:29 am

Thanks, Auto. It kind of did, temporarily. It wasn't as intense as I thought it might be, but I'm glad I went. I also went to an Italian restaurant that turned out to be okay, but only okay. That's fine. I was itching to go ahead and have dinner, so I didn't wait to come back to my neighborhood where there are two very good Italian food places. There would have been long waits by the time I got there, too. I've been trying to eat earlier in the day, but it started to feel like too much of a burden tonight.

I was barely hungry for dinner, but really wanted it.

Dinner: about a cup of pasta with marinara, a meatball (golfball size), the equivalent of about 3/4 slice of bread, a 1 x 2.5 " portion of lasagne. About 4 oz of a pear.

Am full but would still like to eat. Won't. It doesn't seem to help to eat anymore.
Age 65
SBMI Jan/10-30.8
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/18 22.2

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:05 am

Hi Oolala. You sound so down in your last couple of posts. I just wanted to send virtual hugs and well wishes across the internet to you. Hang on in there, I am sure this too will pass eventually.ðŸ’
"You'll know where the North Star is &#11088;&#65039;" - Oolala

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:06 pm

Thanks, Bluebell. I hope so, too. I don't know what is going to make the difference. From the outside, things are fine or should be, and that's adding to it. I have some guilt over not being able to feel more grateful for what I do have. It scares me to think it may take something a lot more catastrophic to jolt me in life.

Brunch: (split with friend) half order of banana pancakes (not as big as I thought they were going to be), half an order of chick pea fritters, and two (on my own) thirds of a bean and cheese burrito, small apple,

grazing: 4 bites leftover noodle dishes, tablespoon peanut butter, coffee with creamer

Gosh, how I would love to keep nibbling, but I am supposed to go out to dinner tonight and I'm already full. I kinda wish I hadn't gone out by myself twice in the last few days. It's too much eating out.

Hmm, I also forgot that I have a loose rule not to eat S's on S days unless I'm with other people. This mindless nibbling is left over from the months of being off my game.

Nothing to do but mark it here and move on.
Age 65
SBMI Jan/10-30.8
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/18 22.2

Dalia negra

Post by Dalia negra » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:23 am

I encourage Oolala !!!! It is not easy to deal with this problem ... I send you a virtual hug.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:03 am

Hugs back, Dahlia.

Dinner: 2/3 of an order of Buffalo Cauliflower, a handful of French fries from shared order, spread out over an hour or more.

A few bites of pear when I came home.

Honestly, I could have skipped dinner from a hunger POV, but I wanted the pleasure of eating. Now I'm not stuffed, but I feel less comfortable than I usually would before bedtime. Ah, me. I miss my need for more food!
Age 65
SBMI Jan/10-30.8
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/18 22.2

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:52 pm

1st meal 10:30: about 3/4 cup leftover pad thai (the last of it) \; a bite of leftover spaghetti, half an 8-inch banana,23 grams of peanut butter. Optimized coffee. 3 bites of pear. Almost no hunger before. Not really full after.

Never did finish the cup of coffee though I had some sips partway through the morning.

2nd meal 4:30; hodgepodge of leftover spaghetti and lasagne, plus some rice. Green beans and orange pepper. lettuce and cuke salad with Annie's quasi Italian dressing. Finished the coffee. Yeah, I am no coffee snob. Little apple. No hunger beforehand nor none all day.
Age 65
SBMI Jan/10-30.8
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/18 22.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:55 am

hmm, I just had a thought. Would you finally be motivated to do more exercise if it was guaranteed to make you hungry? I know you've often lamented not being motivated to exercise AND you lament not being truly hungry. I think exercise might help with that. Anyway, just a thought.
Month/Year-BMI

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:38 am

Alas, I wish I thought that would be a remedy. I do have days where I walk miles and miles and it doesn't make a dent. I used to work out more consistently and it never helped sleep, either. I guess I'm an anomaly. Maybe if I did it for months and built some muscle, but I guess I'm not very good at having to wait very long for the payoff. That will just have to come as a surprise.

Omgosh, I went off the rails today. Had breakfast out with a friend then picked the rest of the day. Geesh. I was going to write it all down but it went on and on. Part of it was going to Costco. I must have had eight samples. They were my lunch. I had intended to end my eating at an early dinner time, but I didn't. Oh, well. I have guests for dinner tomorrow (today when anyone reads this) and will be cooking. I will keep thinking about how nice it will be to be relatively empty for dinner.
Age 65
SBMI Jan/10-30.8
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/18 22.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:40 pm

Oh, well. Just a thought, because I had heard exercise makes a lot of people hungry. I don't know that it does that much for myself, actually. I do notice that going SWIMMING for some reason makes me want to eat Doritos. :lol:
Month/Year-BMI

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:19 am

Swimming makes me ravenous too.

I have been told that as we get older we have a decreased sense of smell and that lack of smell can affect the appetite. Oolala, I know you and I are close in age. My sense smell has decreased, but so far my appetite has not.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

jenji

Post by jenji » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:16 pm

Is there any kind of exercise that you enjoy, oolala? I can't remember but feel as though you might've mentioned dance before?
I'm a 49-year-old mom and non-profit CEO
I am 5' 7.5"
Began No S at 184#, BMI 28.4 - 9/25/2017
Current weight 168#, BMI 25.9- 11/18/2018

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:13 am

Dance does not please me as consistently as it used to. The classes don't occur at very opportune times either. I did go to a three-hour class a few weeks ago; it was a special birthday celebration for one of the drummers. But I didn't find myself wishing I went more often.

I didn't realize how much my compliance before also depended on very simple meals. I hardly even cooked anything from scratch. I cooked two things yesterday and picked a lot on the way. Boy, is it attractive to just be able to give in the to random desire. And so many ties I've been willing to put up with the consequences, which are often unpleasant. I wasn't hungry for going out to dinner yesterday but wanted that food! I did enjoy what I had, though it's true I probably would have enjoyed the experience more if I was hungry. But it wasn't a disaster. I brought my own container and put nearly all the food in it that was more than I would normally have on a plate, then ate away. A lot of picking from the bread plate and other people's pizza crusts. I love the edges!

Got some rain happening here. I'm loving the excuse just to stay inside, though it's so mild, I could go out. I am in awe of the temps in the East. Got friends in Minneapolis and Madison. Freeaaky! Wind chill of -51 in MNPLS yesterday. The SoCal mind boggles.
Age 65
SBMI Jan/10-30.8
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/18 22.2

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:55 am

Well, tracking sure went out the window fast. I like to be able to just pick a mouthful of this or that these days and was that ever a drag. Plus I was overeating and pride got me. I don't see it going the other way at this point, i.e. pride regarding not wanting to post overages stopping the eating. In a way, I don't want to have it work that way.

I went to a monthly Sierra Club meeting where I often convince myself it's okay to fail since I don't get to eat with other people very often and there are snacks. But the food is often so-so and I don't think I've ever been happy afterwards. I took a bottle of mineral water in with me (and I WAS pretty full from an early dinner, though that hasn't stopped me before), and passed it all by. I even took a look at it just before I left. Now very glad.

I did fail Vanilla because I had two bites of leftover cake today. I had a dry-sweet month in January - I couldn't tell that it had any effect on what I wanted- nd remembered that it was the first today. But it stopped there and I don't plan to go back to sweets in the same way. I've liked the overall sense of not feeling at their behest. I'm not sure how I'll limit them now. It may or may not need to be systematic. But even after all these years, they are still magic for me. And not necessarily in a good way.

I was able to hold off today partly because I told myself that I can have dessert at an event tomorrow night. But now I'm not sure I will. I still feel slightly, I don't know what to call it, but almost too happy at the prospect of eating sweets. Like they are more of a compulsion than just a delight. I still always feel like I'd like to be able to eat a lot more of them at a time. I have stopped at just a little, but I don't actually enjoy that a lot. I usually eat more than a little but I always want more. It's annoying and even a little embarrassing that I'm actually not at peace over them. But in the grand scheme...

On another note, got some bad news about my house. The city found that I have a leak somewhere between their source and my house, which is my responsibility. Got a company coming out Wednesday after we've dried out some from the coming rain. It's $280 for the first two hours and $200 an hour if it takes longer! And that's not to fix the problem but just to locate the leak. My bill was about $30 higher than usual. At that rate, I could go 7 months doing nothing, except that it will probably get worse AND it could be happening at the edge of my property where the real effects would be on a city hillside. If that gets saturated and comes down- well, not good. Why does this happen right when I've retired? Oh, well. I purposely bought a place that was less than I could "afford" just so that I wouldn't feel I was at the edge of the budget. I think when I bought, I wasn't making that much more than I am in retirement. In any case, fingers crossed that it will be a relatively simple fix outside the residence. My floors are cement! But if it is inside, I hope it's on my side and not my tenant's.
Age 65
SBMI Jan/10-30.8
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/18 22.2

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:38 am

Ugh. House issues are always stressful! Hoping for the best.

Tracking food never works for me other than tracking green vs red or yellow. Tracking exercise does work for me. I think it is a matter of tracking something that makes me feel positive rather than negative.
Maintenance is progress.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:07 pm

So sorry about the unexpected house issue. That kind of gave me a knot in my stomach just reading about it.

Also sorry the tracking didn't work out. For some reason (as I'm sure you can tell) I love tracking most everything in my life. It's compulsive! LOL, but I'm sure you'd be the first to say that some compulsions are worse than others.

Ooh - and I'm happy for you about skipping the sweets at the Sierra Club meeting. I can't recall you ever doing that before at any event where food is offered for free. :-)

And lastly, I am sorry that the no-sugar didn't help your hip noticeably. :cry:
Month/Year-BMI

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:16 pm

automatedeating wrote: I can't recall you ever doing that before at any event where food is offered for free. :-)
I'm so busted! But it's not ALL about being free, honestly, because most of the events cost money or a donation. It's eating in the presence of others, partly for honesty and partly because I eat alone so much. And because I have a loose rule to eat sweets only in company. Which I broke awhile ago discovering some fudge caramels in my pocket that I meant to leave at the event last night, where people often bring munchies. I ate one and put the rest in the freezer. I'll take them tomorrow to my Shakespeare and Tea meeting. Not really very English but there they'll go. And if they have good shortbread-type cookies there, I might eat them. It will depend on dessert tonight and how I feel after having samosas at my cooking class.

Don't I sound all busy? It comes in waves. I spent countless hours surfing the net this week either in bed or on the couch. I call these events "punctuation" of the day.
Age 65
SBMI Jan/10-30.8
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/18 22.2

sharon227

Re: oolala53

Post by sharon227 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:32 pm

I'm with r.jean on tracking. I know that keeping a "food diary" is supposed to be a good thing for weight control, but I find that tracking everything I eat in detail takes much of the joy out of enjoying my meals. I'd tell myself "I track my spending in my checkbook, I should also track my food since both money and available calories are limited". But for whatever reason, it doesn't work well for me in the long run. I just get resentful. Red/green to mark "healthy choices" or "complied with NoS" is about it for me as well.

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:16 pm

Sorry to hear about the water-- I think you are wise to address it sooner than later.

Are you enjoying retirement? Are you like Lizzie Bennet, who more knew herself to be happy, than felt herself to be so? It probably takes a while to get used to.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:57 pm

Larkspur wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:16 pm
Are you like Lizzie Bennet, who more knew herself to be happy, than felt herself to be so? It probably takes a while to get used to.
This made me smile.
Month/Year-BMI

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:48 pm

I just re-read the anti-snacking portions of the No S book again for what seems like the millionth time. Dropped by to check on a few people, and was happy to see you here. Snacking has always been a giant problem for me, and my plan for today is to limit my food to 3 small saucer meals. :D
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:37 pm

Bright Angel! Yay to see you stopping by!
Month/Year-BMI

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:21 pm

Wanted to document that I had a combo hot cereal made with tortilla flour and coconut flour, green beans, apple and doctored coffee for late breakfast and felt none of the uncomfortable fullness. This is why I sometimes think it would be good to keep track of what I eat. But maybe it would have been good to know what I had yesterday, too. Oh, I did a lot of failing with bites and sips. Complicated to record! I've been more likely these days to fail at recording rather than give up on the eating. And I've had that cereal other times and not felt so well later, I'm pretty sure. But how to know without documenting? Geesh.
Age 65
SBMI Jan/10-30.8
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/18 22.2

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:13 am

Did you see this one?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 075616.htm

If you needed some inspiration :)

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:12 am

Oooh, great article!
Month/Year-BMI

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:29 pm

I would agree that dietary monitoring is effective. I used a nutrition app for maybe 6 months awhile back when I was getting off track. It taught me a lot but it took me more than 15 minutes a day. Of course, I tend to be a perfectionist about accuracy so there was a lot more weighing and measuring food.

Food tracking is really unsustainable for me. It is tedious and can have the negative effect of putting the focus on numbers rather than how I feel.

However, I realize it may be helpful for some.
Maintenance is progress.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:55 pm

I spend probably 30 minutes a day on this forum. But I enjoy it as a journaling process. I think I probably only spend 2 minutes on the food tracking? Not sure why it would take much longer than that since we don't snack, haha.
Month/Year-BMI

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:00 am

Since I'm not talking about using tracking to lose weight, but to see if it would help with other unpleasantries, you'd think I'd be more motivated. You can see how successful I've been with it since I whined!

I don't care what the research says, when you are a person who can have 10 different things at a meal, when I include the different ingredients, because I sometime actually assemble everything right then, it is tedious. I guess for those it's more successful for, they don't find it annoying while they are doing it and aren't stressing over it.

And when I'm failing, it's even less likely to happen.

This morning I ate some leftover rice, part of it fried rice from a restaurant and part plain rice I made, plus about half a cup of cafe au lait with walnut milk. I had it kind of spread out, I wasn't hungry, just wanted it.

I went to my Indian cooking class midday and had a shrimp dish but made with tofu for me. It was one of the better meals we've made. A ton of ginger and garlic. Rice there, too. Unfortunately the teacher was no better at using the Instantpot to make rice than I've been. It was a goopy mess. I really like the teacher and the class, but i was disappointed that she couldn't teach us how to make the PERFECT rice served in Indian restaurants. (And Middlle Eastern ones, too.)

Then I went food shopping. Ate half an apple. Also visited Costco and ate some samples, though not as many as usual. Not eating meat or sweets/baked goods for now. Later finished the apple. Did not eat any dinner.

Never was hungry and felt really full until about a half hour ago. Still had to tell myself NOT to eat anything else after about 4:30, though I think I had a swig of coffee near 6 p.m. Finally felt the sense of comfort and contentment that I used to feel most hours of the day on No S. It took eating likely less than 800 calories of food and about 5 hours of not eating. I don't like thinking how much less I would have to eat to feel this more often.

But ti does feel good. WAiTING to feel this does NOT feel good.

I'm kind of kicking myself right now because I've painted myself into a corner over getting another car and had to rent one for a trip I'm taking next weekend. I don't want to rush myself. When i bought the one I have, I did a ton of research and visited several dealers. Even then, I feel I rushed a bit at the end because then I was driving something that was a little dangerous, too. I have a possibility for a car from my mechanic, but it's being looked at by dealer to see if it qualifies for a new engine, so I haven't been alternative shopping, but I wish I had been now. My car has been great; I so wish I could find the magic again but there are no guarantees. I haven't seen anything in my research that made me feel as good about buying as I did for the one I own now. But it needs work and at 173,000+, I don't want to put any more money into it.
Age 65
SBMI Jan/10-30.8
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/18 22.2

Staff Assistant III

Post by Staff Assistant III » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:33 pm

I love my Instant Pot for rice...in fact Ii bought the 3 quart not long ago after owning the 6 quart for a couple of years just so I could do rice as a side dish.

I put one cup of rice and 1 1/2 cups water in, maybe a dash of olive oil. 3 minutes on manual, than let it sit for ten minutes (or more). I always get great rice.
No S start date 1/11/19

BMI Jan 19 22.7, FEb 19 22.9

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:01 am

I'm saving up to $10,000 and I will hopefully buy a 3-year old Toyota Corolla with 40K miles or less on it. Not sure what your budget is, but I feel pretty good about my plan.
Month/Year-BMI