~ Reviving Renee ~

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:47 pm

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: That's it!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
I'm tired of going nowhere because I'm not trying. Last night I actually went to bed thinking that I'd count calories (yet again) today. I planned my week of meals, got my calorie counting app ready, and went to bed determined (yet again) to finally do this once and for all. When I woke up and could think clearly again, I (yet again) realized that I don't have time or patience for counting calories, calorie accounting while cooking homemade food sucks, and that I believe that is what got me obsesively thinking about food in the first place. I need the sanity of NoS. Period. Amazingly I haven't gained too much weight this summer of do-nothing-about-my-weight. I think that the heat just makes me not feel like eating. I sure wish winter did that to me. No, the opposite happens. Last week we had a cool fallish day and I baked 2 pies. What's with that? Anyway, I am back and going to give it my all for 1 week and prove to myself that I can stick to it! I will follow NoS with a slight mod of no Sdays only S events. Weekends throw me off and I feel like I've blown it every time something comes up :roll:

My list of okay S events:
popcorn on movie nights (twice a month lately)
eating out (not too often)
baking a dessert (I'm setting a limit of one a week, especially during the holidays!)

Since I love apps, I will record on my calendar app on my kindle. I can color the day green for good days, light green for good days with S events, or leave it white for fails. So, here I go...

Sept.
9- :mrgreen: I did it! I did it! :shock:
10- :mrgreen: easy cheesey. 2 days down, lifetime to go. :roll:
11- :mrgreen:
12- :mrgreen: this really is easy this time. I don't know why. Let's see how long it lasts
13- :wink: S event pizza
14- :D Sday
15- :oops: Friday (pizza) became an S, and I refuse to let myself have 3 in a weekend since and s day is usually ongoing s events all darn day.

Reevaluated back to vanilla since I don't think it went as well as it should have. One week at a time!

16- :mrgreen:
17- :mrgreen: canning, so I called all the little sniches and tastes "lunch". You can't can without tasting.
18- :mrgreen:
19- :oops: if. No control
20- :mrgreen: no pizza tonight due to away football game. That's good!
21-:wink:
22-: wink: I feel like I ate all weekend. Then I feel panic, guilt, frustration, and start thinking that I need to count calories or something. But then I realized that I just hate s days and I just want to get back to n days. I'm thinking that's a good sign. Keep trudging a long and n days will become default.

23- :oops:
24- :oops: Grrr. Total frustration.
25-:mrgreen: it really isn't that hard. Really.
26- :oops: Bah!
27- :mrgreen:
28- :wink:
29- :wink:

Last edited by ~reneew on Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:54 pm, edited 10 times in total.
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:53 pm

These are old posts of mine bumped to motivate myself:

I've come to realize that 5 good days and 2 sorta crazy days are way better long term for me than 7 fairly crazy ones...

This is a re-post from a while back that was a total eye opener for me and gave me a real boost:
Monday I issued a challenge to be green for the whole month of April. So yesterday, my last day of March, I thought I'd allow myself a couple innocent bites... Then last night when I stepped on the scale and saw that it actually went up a tad, I was mad! I thought that this diet isn't working even when I resist SO hard and have a 'good' day! Then after a while of slam-talking myself a voice inside said "well...you did snitch a bit!" So I decided to think hard and tally them up...then count the calories for my few bites. I was blown away!!! I thought I'd share, along with my justifications. Keep in mind that I actually, honestly thought I had an almost N day!!!
280 cal. - 4 spoons of frosting while doing a cake for a potluck.
440 cal. - 3 distracted minutes of baked potato chips while packing lunch for my son.
560 cal. - 2 rhubarb oatmeal bars that weren't really that sweet - right?(I was on the run!)
125 cal. - snitched 1/2 C. chili (one spoon at a time) to be sure the seasoning was right. (That would explain all of the spoons in the sink!)
180 cal. - snitched about a cup of coleslaw for the same reason (forks in the sink)
430 cal. - half seconds on supper (only halfs, should have taken more the first time!!!!)
-----------
2015 total snitched calories yesterday! And I thougth it was an almost N day!!! WOW! And I am not exagerating one bit! These are the best estimates that I could come up with because when I snitch I am only 1/4th aware that I'm doing it!!!
:roll:

I read that the average bite is about 31 calories.

The words to "Voice of Truth" by casting crowns: (I heard it again this morning)
Oh what I would do to have
The kind of faith it takes to climb out of this boat I'm in
Onto the crashing waves

To step out of my comfort zone
To the realm of the unknown where Jesus is
And He's holding out his hand

But the waves are calling out my name and they laugh at me
Reminding me of all the times I've tried before and failed
The waves they keep on telling me
Time and time again. 'Boy, you'll never win!'
"You'll never win"

But the voice of truth tells me a different story
And the voice of truth says "Do not be afraid!"
And the voice of truth says "This is for My glory"
Out of all the voices calling out to me
I will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth

Oh what I would do to have
The kind of strength it takes to stand before a giant
With just a Sling and a stone
Surrounded by the sound of a thousand warriors
Shaking in their armor
Wishing they'd have had the strength to stand

But the giant's calling out my name and he laughs at me
Reminding me of all the times I've tried before and failed
The giant keeps on telling me
Time and time again "boy, you'll never win!
"You'll never win"

But the stone was just the right size
To put the giant on the ground
And the waves they don't seem so high
From on top of them looking down
I will soar with the wings of eagles
When I stop and listen to the sound of Jesus
Singing over me
I will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth

I wrote this and thought it was ironically hillarious: "I don't want to be the hare anymore ~ just a tutrle". I can't even type the word turtle correctly!

The more "on-track" I stay, the more "default" it becomes!

NoS means NoStruggle

I saw a commercial for Jenny this morning and a woman said that she lost about 20 pounds in 6 weeks. I was so impressed and thought that I really wish that I could do that too, but NoS goes slow. Then, I read this old post of mine: "I've lost 20 pounds in 6 weeks!!! I did everything short of breathing helium, but I saw it on the scale! Woohoo! "
Ha! I guess I showed her! I want to do it again!
Last edited by ~reneew on Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Please pray for me

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:26 am

GO!!!!! I'm back at it as well. I am just focusing on habit, habit, habit........annnnnd habit!! Have a good GREEN day!!
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:50 pm

Is it there yet? Maybe this will help.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:55 pm

Also remember that S days were meant to include one, possibly two S events eventually anyway. And not even necessarily every S day. Sometimes.

I couldn't believe for the longest time that I could ever have sugar just sometimes, as in not every weekend. But I'm there. I almost can't believe it now because it sounds like it should be torture. But it's not. The last few sweets I've had weren't very satisfying. Gonna try holding out for the more ideal ones. But I couldn't have guessed this my first two years.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:55 am

It's that word "sometimes" that I tend to ignore. I think I really like my new plan. I feel confidently on track. Knock on wood. My focus is habit, thus 100% and if I fail, an immediate recovery. This weekend will be the test I guess. I have 2 s events planned in my head already. Let's hope that I can refrain from thinking up more. I really do treat s days as off-my-plan days. But not any more! I am no s 24/365 from now on. By not stating 2 entire days as s days, I won't eat just because I can even though I'm full. And during the week I won't consider eating out as a fail thus opening the door of restraint. I'm trying to trick my brain. Let's see if it works.
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:53 pm

Well yesterday, Saturday, didn't go so hot. I am going to try my best for Sunday then reevaluate.
Please pray for me

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:05 pm

What is your biggest problem on S days? Huge meals? Permasnacking? All day sweets?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:00 pm

My continual weekend problem is that I snack without restraint, then make and eat meals anyway. It's as if I am unrestrained all darn weekend. In the past I would sometimes actually wake up and start eating junk just because it was an Sday and I could! That word "sometimes" was not written where I could see it or something. I am mostly past that now, but the snacking starts before lunch anyway. My weekend problem starts with Friday pizza night. My favorite food. Before my hubby and I married I agreed to once a week pizza. He isn't such a big fan of it. We have it Friday. I have had pizza almost every weekend since I could chew. Needless to say its a habit and probably the one tradition that I will not :evil: change. I have serious issues keeping to one plate. I have been thinking about that a bit since Friday and I think that I will try to make the rule of one personal (homemade) pizza on a personal pizza pan only if I am to eat it on a Friday. If I can manage to arrange to have it on Saturday, then I can have another kind of pizza. That way, I can maybe get a better grip on my weekends, and do vanilla which give strength in its simplicity.

So, I guess I'm back to vanilla. But I do have a plan for Friday. We have an away football game, so I have to make pizza on Saturday anyway.
My main goal is habit!
:wink:

* my daily tracker for the week is at the top of this page *
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:56 pm

I'm starting to feel back on track again. Knock on wood. :roll:
Please pray for me

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:28 pm

I hate to say it, but when it gets painful enough, the problems will either fade or you'll become willing to do something you weren't before. It took me a LONG time to be willing to change my habits on S days. I wanted them to become carefree with no attention, which does happen for some, but I don't think you can PLAN that. Nothing changed without conscious effort. But I reached a point at which I really felt that it was worse to continue as is than to knuckle under. I gave up the dream that it would change on its own. I gave it a good, long chance! Two things were pivotal, but you'll discover your own pivotal elements, I'm sure. Have faith!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:45 pm

Oh... thank you... (sigh). Feeling really frustrated today. It's Wednesday and the last 2 days were kinda flops. When I try to eat a healthy but small breakfast (because everyone says it helps) it's like I open the flood gates and permasnack the day away. Why do I listen to "experts" anyway? I just need to do what works for me: brunch and dinner. Period. 2 plates. Period. When I have 3 plates, it becomes 15 :roll:

So, I googled "2 meals a day" and found this. I don't know if anyone posted this here, but, I had to. All I have to say is "Ha!See!"
http://www.nbcnews.com/health/two-meals ... 6C10423982

And, I don't even like to eat breakfast anyway, I am never hungry until at least 10. Here is more against having to eat breakfast: http://www.theiflife.com/2-meal-solution/
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:56 pm

I just started an October challenge since I don't feel the accountability here... since I figure nobody in their right mind would read my boring daily thread. :roll:
Please pray for me

jw

Post by jw » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:03 pm

I actually do read it, reneew -- I love both the double meaning of your screen name and your tagline ("I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it!"). I haven't posted because you seem to be in such good hands and there was little I could add to oolala's recent posts -- but I enjoy reading yours! Good luck with the challenge!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:04 pm

Hi reneew,
I joined your October Challenge with the same goal.
We can do it!
:D
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:04 pm

Hi reneew,
I joined your October Challenge with the same goal.
We can do it!
:D

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:53 am

Hey thanks guys!

Why is it that every single Sunday evening I panic because I know that I gained during my out of control weekends, and start thinking about counting calories again? Seriously? I loose total control all day Saturday and Sunday. Ug!!!
Please pray for me

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:30 am

Remember that feeling of panic when you're choosing what to eat on weekends. Not as a hammer hanging over your head but just as a way to think about the big picture. Will you really enjoy the food enough to put up with the feelings later? This doesn't mean that you won't get to enjoy any food. You will still have delicious food, right? Maybe just not as much at one time or as often.

I found it important when I started putting effort into changing things on weekends to magnify in my mind the negative consequences I was wishing to avoid and also minimize the sacrifice involved.

Keep going!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:15 pm

I'll try it for sure!
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:23 pm

I started another challenge. I've done those for most months for what, 3-4 years now? When I don't, you can assume that I'm gaining weight. :roll: Someone mentioned that they had a pumpkin muffin and I really was going to make it, but our oven went out. First it was the burner, but when my hubby took it apart to fix it he left the power on to it and zapped the computer, so now I get a new one. I'm happy about the new oven, but not having a stove or oven for 2 weeks is a real pain. I want those pumpkin muffins! My freezer is getting a good cleaning out since we seem to be microwaving stuff from there alot since we have no oven. I skipped my weekly pizza night, and it's been bothering me since! I'm about ready to microwave one. bluh!

I seem to forget to do my habitcal. I write on my challenge page, and fill in my little calendar at home, so I guess thats good. I actually give myself a happy face sticker on a little calendar, just like a little 3 year old. Whatever works :wink: My goal now is to reach habit. By doing that I am shooting for 21, but no more than one fail a week. I remember the times that I was on a streak of successful greens, and saying how it was boring to be so successful. I guess I should have appreciated it. At times I can't even get one darn day in of success. I want that back! I want all greens again! That's my goal. I know I can do it! I know anyone can, it's just deciding to do it!
Please pray for me

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:21 pm

It's deciding at the MOMENT OF TEMPTATION to do it. I affirm that for you!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:16 pm

Oh I know! I wish I could keep you in my pocket. Or if an alarm would go off if i took a bite of something... ha, really I just need control.

Gal. 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.

I guess the latter I need to pray for.
Please pray for me

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:00 pm

Have you made a list of reasons you want to get your eating more moderate? And do you read the list several times a day for now? I'm telling you, it helps. Those reasons start popping into your head at appropriate moments. Don't wait for the temptation to read the list. Don't think you'll remember them all the time. I have 40 items, some of them old goals I met. It still inspires me to read them.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:11 pm

I've been doing well, then bought halloween candy just for the holiday since our kids probably will not go trick or treating anymore, and they deserve it right? Of course I opened the darn (huge) bag and proceeded to eat most of the packages of reeces pieces. Grrr... like I shouldn't have seen that one coming. I can't have chocolate (caffeine intollerance, I get sick) I should have just bought all chocolate. Why didn't I?

To sort of make up for that I plan to have a double good day!
Please pray for me

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:58 pm

~reneew wrote:I've been doing well, then bought halloween candy just for the holiday since our kids probably will not go trick or treating anymore, and they deserve it right? Of course I opened the darn (huge) bag and proceeded to eat most of the packages of reeces pieces. Grrr... like I shouldn't have seen that one coming. I can't have chocolate (caffeine intollerance, I get sick) I should have just bought all chocolate. Why didn't I?
It's not too late to throw that candy away!! I am all for chuckin' it, chuckin' it, chuckin' it!!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:46 am

That darn Halloween candy!! Don't worry about being double good. Just mark it and move on! Just a normal NoS day...that 's all ya need. We can do this!!! GO :arrow:
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:29 pm

Isn't the holiday still about two weeks away? If there is ANY reason to think you'll eat more of it, put it where it would be very hard to get: in the trunk of someone else's car, the garage, or even in a brown paper bag at someone else's house. Don't kid yourself!

And do move on.

Keep thinking you want to have a day to mark green today. Get from hour to hour, if necessary. Oppose any thoughts that come up telling you to go ahead and snack or eat sweets. They are not rational! YOU can be rational even when your thoughts aren't.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:20 pm

Hey! Thanks for the support! I tend to bake for my family to save money and they (especially hubby) complain if we have no treats, and get a bit of a relief in October when I buy some candy to send a treat in kids' lunch bags. Hubby too.

So... to solve my problem, I got rid of all non-chocolate stuff and bought another not-so-big bag of completely chocolate stuff. Whew. No pressure now! I really do looooove chocolate, but it really doesn't like me! One normal size chocolate bar would sent me to bed barfing with a migraine. Caffeine intollerance. Woopee.

My big problem holiday starts in December and ends... oh spring.
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:33 pm

I had a long weekend camping (most of the time) with friends. Snacks abound and in my face. I did fairly well considering. Then on Sunday, feeling fat and out of control, I yet again start thinking that I need to count calories. Almost every darn Sunday night lately. If I didn't loose total control all weekend, I wouldn't feel panic about it, it would just be another day. I am thinking about eliminating the sweets rule and just allowing one serving once in a while during the week so that I don't have to mentally "go off" on the weekends. I would virtually eliminate S days then. Hmmm. Or... maybe have one serving of an S every day if needed. One bar or one serving of popcorn may be controlable. Or... maybe bank them up prior to the events? I have had success with the banking system before. Or... eliminate Sdays and just have special events which may or may not include a trip to the cookie jar daily. I'll think on this a while. I feel the need for some mod to neutralize those darn s days! Any ideas anyone?
Please pray for me

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:33 am

Is there no mod that sounds reasonable to try on S days? (In case none do, don't despair. NO mods sounded doable to me for 2 years! I hated how I felt when overeating on S days, yet not having the freedom also sounded intolerable- until it didn't. But N days were my safety zone.)

I have seen your proposed mod work for a few. I think the majority have the sweet WITH a meal.

Keep going! You'll find your magic combo if you don't give up and if you make appetite and satiety the focus. Getting hungry is nice. Getting stuffed is not. That takes its own kind of honesty. It's just the honestly that I prefer, over calorie-counting. That is against my religion, so I'll do a lot to avoid it.
:wink:
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:51 pm

I tend to ask the question, "what's the worst that could happen in my relationship with my husband if I" and then compare it to the worst that could happen if the status quo remains. Then I make a decision.

In this scenario, my question would be, "What's the worst that could happen in my relationship with my husband if I stop having treats around every day?" and "What's the worst that could happen if I keep eating too many treats?" and "What's the best that could happen for me, my husband, and my kids if we stop having treats available every day?"

Sometimes I exercise tough love in my marriage and think about what I am willing to maintain long-term. Let's be honest: it's not good for anyone's long-term health in your family to have treats available daily. Someday our kids will be adults, and the eating habits they have learned will be the ones they fall back on.

My kids are still eating an embarrassing amount of junk, but it has markedly decreased since I stopped having it available on the weekdays. Snack eating has gone way down, too. It is these kinds of things that help me realize that NoS isn't a diet, it's just sane eating habits to teach our kids (and our hubbies!).
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:34 pm

I've been taking time to think... and considered your advice...

I whole heartedly agree that I need to remind myself that for the well being of my family, I need to compare the benefits of my making treats to the benefits of me being alive in general(worst case senario), not to mention happily! Next time I think they will feel deprived for not getting so many treats, I will remember the alternative, unhealthy or dead mom who can't make treats at all. :?

I've come up with an idea to try. I realize the need for habit and I like the strength of the rules, so I'm thinking I shouldn't mess with that at this time. So, I've come up with what I will call French Vanilla. It's still vanilla NoS, but with a tad more reined in Sdays... I'm going to think of it as extra vanilla. I will write down all S's on S days to make myself more aware of them. Then maybe it won't be an ongoing snack-all-day type of day but a controlled concious S event each and every time, a sort of being held a bit accountable for my actions.

French Vanilla NoS:
•No Snacks
•No Sweets
•No Seconds
Except (sometimes) on days that start with "S" (while writing it down)
Last edited by ~reneew on Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Please pray for me

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:41 pm

This is very cute--French Vanilla. Something tells me it might catch on!!! :)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

jw

Post by jw » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:00 pm

Love it, reneew, French Vanilla!

As for the family -- it's not just your health, it's also your kids' good eating habits you are supporting. One reason I think No S feels so natural to me is that my mother used sweets to enhance special occasions for us kids: Sundays, birthdays, holidays (sound familiar?). The cake and especially the pop made special days more fun. We were a big family and she was feeding us on a budget, of course -- but it laid the groundwork for some very good habits. If we had had coke and goodies every day, the birthday cake or the Sunday orange soda wouldn't have had the same effect at all. Most of my 7 siblings remain slim to this day, and if I had kept those same good habits, I wouldn't be on this forum now!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:45 pm

I'm not sure it's very French to write down your food, but writing down your S's is a time-honored mod. It certainly fits with modern habit findings that recording any behavior helps change it in the direction desired.

What remains is to DO it. Good luck!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:35 am

I recorded, and actually had a great day Sunday! Wow! :shock:
Please pray for me

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:39 pm

Congrats on a happy S day!!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:19 pm

Struggling
Please pray for me

jw

Post by jw » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:38 pm

You're fighting yourself, reneew -- relax and breathe and ask how can you work with yourself? How can you turn your mind away from whatever it is that is dragging you into old habits? It's not food -- food is your friend. But you wouldn't want your friends hanging around in your private life 24/7 -- just gently put it in its proper place and welcome it on your plate three times a day.

We're with you! Hang in there!

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:49 pm

Hello, Reneew!

Just popped in to say "hi" - it was nice to come back and see your challenges still in effect!

Hang in there!

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:51 pm

Thanks guys!
Yep, that's what I do. Fight with it. Its all mental. I'm working on it... :roll:
Please pray for me

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:04 am

Your posts make me think you are very artistic. I bet it would be cool if you made a big collage of NoS and posted it for all of us. :)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:17 am

You've got this girl!! Tomorrow is a new day! Let's do it! ONWARD :arrow:

Diets Don't Work.

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:15 pm

Automated ~ haha. I am, to a fault, artistic. My mind thinks things over in new creative ways constantly. I think that is what makes it hard to stick to one thing. I've been here for years now, but only because I am constantly venturing off to another plan and coming back to tweak this one. Grrr.

Zippadee~ Thanks! I need that. Really!

So, yesterday, right in the middle of a frustrated snacking day, I go to parent/teacher conferences at the middle school (harmless, right?) and there's popcorn. Why oh why do people need food available where ever they go? Is everyone way too busy to go home and eat these days? Grr.. So I avoid that like the plague even when friends come and offer some in my face. But then we go sit to chat with the math teacher. After a bit I bring up the fact that it takes my son 3 times as long to figure out his math because the problems use terminology that I don't even know and I have a bachelor of science degree, stocks, run the family bank accounts and the whole family budget and ran my own business, yet, there were brockerage terms and retail terms I had no idea what they meant. How are kids supposed to work on math when every darn question was a test on new un-taught vocabulary? Whew, sorry, I feel better after that rant. I was much nicer to the teacher... anyway, he starts to explain how he really wants to incorporate "real life" into his class room. Then he goes on to say that for instance he had them all calculate everything they ate for a week (a gosh darn whole week!!!) to figure out the calories, fat, etc. "because that's real life, we all need to do that to stay healthy". Bah! I was a bit upset. I thought that my son was recording all of that for some mis-lead health teacher, but no...he was doing all of that for his math teacher whom I believe never actually did any calorie counting in his skinny life. Why do they have to start brain washing our 12 year old kids? Anyway, there I go griping again. So for some reason I sat there absorbing what he said like a good student and went home to dig out all of my calorie counting junk to brush up and prepare for tomorrow (today) because that was my new plan. Why do I do that? I know I can't sustain it. It's a pain to look it all up. I end up eating cardboard flavorless stuff just in the name of low-cal, and I get frustrated with my cravings and get nowhere anyway? Humph. :evil:

So, I'm back to noS, but I insist on listening to my body at the same time (wait until hunger and stop at satisfied). And I really want to try eliminating the "no sweets" part for a while. If it fits on my plate, it's okay for now. That's my new plan and I'm sticking with it (for now) :roll:
Please pray for me

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:16 am

Hey, how Are you feeling?
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:48 am

Way off track. I'm back to vanilla.
Please pray for me

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:55 am

Hey Reneew! Hang in there! Vanilla is all you need. One day at a time!! We can.do it! :D

Diets Don't Work.

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:17 am

Hey Reneew! Hang in there! Vanilla is all you need. One day at a time!! We can.do it! :D

Diets Don't Work.

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:20 am

Thank you. Thank you. Haha. After looking at my very pitiful NoS history on my first page here I decided to panic. I get frustrated by the slooooooooooow weight loss and try things to speed it up. Well, ya know how that goes. So, I am going to stick to vanilla through the holidays until January 31st at least. I need sane through the holidays. At this point I'd be really happy to stay the same through the holidays.
Please pray for me

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:26 am

Ha Ha!! Sorry about the double post! We have been at this for a long time together! I too get frustrated by the slow weight loss! After looking back at my check in threads I realize that IF I could just stick to this day in and day out I will be in a much better place all the way around! For the next year I am committed to measuring my success by green days only. Will take a look at my weight a year from now! Have a great day!! :)

Diets Don't Work.

tobiasmom

Hey

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:54 pm

All three of us are in this boat. The scale dictates our feelings. Ugh!! Let's do this together, girls! One foot in front of the other :)

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:22 pm

Think I should start a "get through the holidays" challenge? That's my goal right now anyway... what do you think?
Please pray for me

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:18 pm

Yes! That's been on my mind, too.

I've decided to take Thursday and Friday for Thanksgiving.... it will still only be 2 non-weekend S days for the month of November. Next decision: December! Yeeks! What's your plan?
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:16 pm

Ok, so I posted a holiday challenge and added the tracking of my weight to my goal this time also. I've never done that before on here. I think I need a different focus and the scale is acurate for me. I try to compare to the week prior and weigh at the same time. Besides that, my only other goal is to record success/fails. Simple accountablility at both levels, actual weight and success of the day.
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:36 pm

Along with the holiday challenge, I also want to try to go 21 days. I can fit it in before Christmas. I looked back in my "daily" for encouragement and found these quotes of mine...
* * * * I've dropped 10 pounds in my first 2 weeks!!! * * * *
I've lost 20 pounds in 6 weeks!!! I did everything short of breathing helium, but I saw it on the scale! Woohoo!

I sure wish I could do that again! Of course I could, but all I want is to stay the same this month, so any loss would make me extatic!

edit: I thought I'd list my plan (since i thought of more) for the holidays.

Holiday plan 2013:
1. publicly record weight gain/loss
2. shoot for 21 days before Christmas with Christmas as my reward
3. don't make ANY treats until the week before Christmas
4. Keep all treats out of sight. I think that might be the biggie.
Please pray for me

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:28 pm

sounds like a great plan!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:44 am

Kid #1 "Mom, what's for dessert? Can I have icecream?"
Me "Nope, we ate too much this weekend, wait til the weekend"
kid #2 "Are you kidding? We don't even have any cookies!!!"
Me "I think you'll live besides there are some oreos in the cookie jar"
Kid #1 "One, Mom!"
Hubby "yea, we need cookies or some kind of dessert!"
Me "We just finished the pies!"
kid #2 "We really need cookies!"

So,I made the darn cookies (Ginger, froze half for Christmas) and proceeded to eat about 3 cookies worth of the dough and maybe 4 more when they were done. Only kid #2 even had any!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And she had one single solitary small cookie!!!!!!! Why do I do that? Absolutely no more til the week before Christmas. I better go tell them to make them last!
Please pray for me

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:08 pm

You are right. Don't do it! I know you probably feel you can't do this, but I finally gave up baking sweets. Oh, that was a tough decision to make. For the longest time (about 2 years on No S), I could not stand the thought of giving up the pleasure of the activity on S days, and didn't like the idea that I couldn't learn to control myself. But I am just too much of a dough/batter eater. Then I would go to town on what did actually get baked. I finally decided in June of '12 to stop and had my first fail on that in a year and a half a few weeks ago, but I reined it in fast.

I humbly suggest after the holiday season you sit with yourself and very honestly look at this issue. It's very easy for women to be very attached to their identity as pleasure-givers with food, and sometimes cover up their own attachment to the food itself by making it for others. (I gave a way two cookbooks dedicated to fancifying cake mix cakes- I convinced myself that I would become the person who brought cakes to events and that would be the only baking I'd do, but I was kidding myself. I think I made two to take, eating way too much batter and frosting even on those, but that was after I made several trial ones that got eaten by me alone in a weekend. Not what S days were made for.)

Perhaps determine that you will bake only with witnesses, maybe one weekend a month? And remember the French often buy their desserts, unless it's something simple with fruit, and only enough for one meal, whether they make it themselves or not.

Just giving you some ideas to consider. The simple truth is that to become a moderate eater, something's gotta give.

I'm on your side!
Last edited by oolala53 on Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:30 pm

You're right. This is a serious issue of mine and I need to sit down and have a serious chat with myself. Last year's plan did not work... and the year before... and the year before... I am the type of person that when the door opens a tiny crack all flood gates fly open. Actually, its more like I have a continual crack in the foundation and it totally crumbles the dam every darn winter (see page 1 here for gorry details). I therefore have decided to not make any Christmas sweets until the 16th. I then need to make carmels to give a way and the only problem with them is wrapping them. I remember one year that I actually didn't snitch any... I'll have to remember what the plan was that time... tape my mouth shut?? I usually make tons of different kinds of treats, but this year I'm limiting it to carmels and frosted sugar cookies because I've already made the ginger snaps and froze them for Christmas. Sugar cookies are a bit easier to avoid eating since I make them with the kids and after they are frosted, I don't like to eat the ones they made so grandparents can see them, so that leaves the ones I did only, to eat. I think its a good plan. I was going to say that I will get very busy the week before Christmas, and will have less time to chow, but that never stopped me before. My plan has been working so far. :wink:
Please pray for me

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:40 am

Wow reading through you posts I'm so glad I don't enjoy baking :lol:

My friend is a baker and she has since stopped giving me Christmas cookies because one year I ate the whole container in one day...If I'm at her house around Christmas I end up getting into her cookies...

You can do it.

I read NoSRocks yearly check in and I remember her struggling with baking all the time..and wow she has succeeded by losing 40lbs I was so pleasantly surprised to see her update!

I'm just browsing around for those that I remember from when I was on her last.

Have a great Sunday.
Last edited by NoSnacker on Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:46 pm

NoSnacker, maybe your screen name should be CookieMonster! :) :) :)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:03 pm

Haha. I too am a cookie monster! I now need to start making my carmels early this year as I will be working and too busy to make them next week. I still plan on only making frosted cut-out cookies which will be plenty if I hold off. I'll get those done next week. I keep reminding myself that 10 kinds of cookies at Christmas is unnecessary and a habit that I need to break! Of course my mom had rosettes for my kids yesterday and now they all want to make them. Ug! I'm counting on them forgetting those!

I have several sets of dishes but the ones I use most are my corelle. There are 3 sizes of plates. Just under 7" which are tiny, 8 1/2" which I used to eat on for all meals, and 10" which most people use and I stopped a long time ago. I am a full-plate-filler and just can't do that. As I said, I used to always use the 8 1/2" plates and got my family used to them, but somewhere along the line I started to sometimes use the 10" ones. Now I do most of the time. Well, I've decided to use the 7" plate at lunch which is plenty, and the 8 1/2" at dinner. I think this may be a good thing, as full big plates at meals keep me from loosing any weight, then I panic and want to "diet" harder. We'll see how it goes. All I know is that NoS is peace to my diet-frantic mind. :wink:
Please pray for me

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:44 pm

I read that when using smaller plates like the 8 1/2 and it is full you will feel you have ate a full plate, but if using a larger place and placing the same amount of food that was on the 8 1/2 inch plate, your mind will feel jipped somehow...but it is true..they say if you glass that holds a cup is the narrow tall glass you will feel like you had a whole glass, but is you use a short round one, it won't be full, so you mind feels jipped.

I know it works because I use the smaller plate and glass.

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:32 pm

yep, that's why I switched to my 8 1/2" plates several years ago. My family asked once what in the heck I was doing, and were fine with it. If we have big flat food, I sometimes get the bigger plates down from the top shelf, but our everyday plates are 8 1/2".

The samller 7" for lunch has helped me. When I use 8 1/2 for lunch and supper with the occasional 10", I don't loose weight. then I panic and try to do better than that by skipping meals or trying counting calories of something stupid like that. The 7" has given me the confidence to remain calm while doing this and knowing it will help. The weekends are my problem. All restraint flies out the window when I wake up Saturday. Grr. I sometimes think I should skip the Sdays all together and just add S events for sweets when they pop up. Maybe I'll do that for the new year. Sounds like a plan...
Please pray for me

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:28 am

This is my 3rd attempt, once in 2011 and once in 2012 with 5-6 months in each time...and yup my weekends did me in.

I forgot to read "moderation" :)

Anyhow, I have incorporated the 3 squares on the weekends with moderation on my S foods and foods that I want to have. Not that I don't have what I want during the week, but normally it isn't any fast foods, etc.

I hope my third attempt won't send me running after a few fails ;)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:39 pm

I know it may be hard to hear, but when you really get tired enough of overdoing it on S days, you'll find a way to tone it down. You have to be able to remember very vividly that feeling at the moment of temptation, and to downplay the pleasure you will get from eating in the moment. Worth the effort!

I've seen A FEW make the random S event work. Many more fail. But it might be worth a try for January, or January through March.

Alternately, perhaps look at what the worst offense is on S days. Mine was eating sweets alone. I finally surrendered and banned that ( some slip ups, but not really much) over a year ago. It helped!

Yours may not be as obvious to change.

I'm sorry if I'm saying really obvious or things that don't jive with your history. I haven't kept up , but I'm jumping in anyway!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:16 pm

Well, I've had a few things happen. First, on New Year's Eve day, my 20 year old daughter was involved in a 5 car pile-up. The car in front of her lost control on ice, so she did too and hit the cement rail on a highway overpass. She was ok, but the car wasn't driving right so she pulled off onto the shoulder and got out to check for damages when another car lost control on the ice and hit her full speed off the 25 foot high bridge. Many worries at first, and multiple pelvic fractures, but she'll be fine. Against doctors orders she was walking with crutches at 3 weeks. My girl is stubborn... Anyway, during the hospital stay, full of worry and tough to go get food... I started loosing some weight. I lost all of my holiday weight plus some. My focus on food disappeared. Not really sure what's going on in my head, but I just don't feel like snacking anymore. Very very slowly loosing without even really trying. I do feel that my food capacity has shrunk also. I can't eat half of the pizza that I used to on Friday. The amazing part is that I don't even WANT to. Anyway, I've also given up sweets for lent, so we'll see how that goes. I just wanted to update you friends :). Get your focus off of food!
Please pray for me

jw

Post by jw » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:50 pm

Thanks for stopping in to update us, reneew -- I was happy to see your name in the lineup again, and even more happy to hear your daughter's going to be OK! I think your experience is so true -- when life happens, we're far too busy to focus on food. I am happy to have good habits in place for those times when food is the LAST thing on my mind, though! Best wishes for your continued good habits and for your daughter's recovery!

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:55 pm

Good god, I'm so happy that your daughter is going to be fine! I wish her a speedy and full recovery!

Keep your good habits!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:18 pm

I'm sorry it took such dramatic events to cause a shift in your eating, but it wouldn't be the first time something like that happened. In fact, that's often how we make big changes in life. But no one intends them, I don't think.

So glad you are both doing well.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:22 pm

Oh my goodness Reneew! I haven't checked in here in ages, and, of course, when I did, one of the first threads I looked for was yours. So sorry to read of your daughter's accident, but so glad to know that she was able to recover from her injuries. Glad to know that you made it through it all as well...that certainly was a mother's nightmare. God is good, though, isn't He.
Take care of yourself,
Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:25 pm

Oh my gosh, I am so sorry to read about your daughter's accident. That must have been horrible to hear the news and watch her endure all that pain Thanks be to God that she is recovering so well.

Welcome back.
Berry

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:29 am

Yeah so, I lost maybe 20 pounds then... Have gained it Ll back plus a bit now. Very frustrating. What, do I need a tragedy to get me going?
Please pray for me

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:06 pm

Hugs to you! Right there with ya. Trying to figure it out myself...STILL!

Diets Don't Work.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:20 pm

hey renee! good luck getting back on the wagon! i just restarted again after totally going awol for a few years...
you can do it!
don't try to add or modify the rules and just stick with vanilla NoS consistently and you will lose weight and feel sane! that's worth a lot!
i'll try to keep checking in on your thread, but i generally do a kind of drive by, post on my thread and then go... just wanted to say hi and wish you luck! you can do it!
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

halfmoon_mollie

Post by halfmoon_mollie » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:27 pm

What she said ^^^^^^

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:58 pm

I went to my doctor over my loss of appetite (but not the DESIRE to eat. ) She didn't know what to do for me. I purposely have NOT been eating just by appetite, as I suspect, from a few days' experimentation, that I would be hungry for only a meal a day. However, that is not good news to me. I had something similar happen when I was on a 3-week trip to Peru. Yeah, the appetite was gone, but it came roaring back, and I, too, gained it all back.

I suggest that it's not whether it takes a tragedy but whether we need to lose if we have to eat so little to do it.

I'm still rather closely following NO S but the weight loss side of it is a mystery in my eyes. I believe the calories in/calories out stuff. What I still don't believe is that aiming at a low number in order to lose helps us learn to actually like eating less permanently. I still refuse to think the weight is a more important goal than the habits.

I hope if you stick to Vanilla, that alone will give you some peace of mind.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:27 am

Alright... I'm back. After loosing a lot last New Years, I have regrettably gained it all back plus. I have a new starting point. And I now have 80 to loose... I'll update later. I plan on tracking on my habitcal daily. Vanilla. Period.
Last edited by ~reneew on Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please pray for me

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:10 am

Welcome back!!!
:D :D :D :D

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:19 am

Oh, my. Food is so seductive. But so is balance. Glad to see you.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:15 pm

I was feeling totally out of control, 35 pounds higher than I weighed about 11 months ago, and helpless... But I already have hope again and have lost 10 since New Years morning already. Yay. I mean, I know the first few go fast, and water retention and blah blah, but my chin and neck feel slimmer already to I am excited.

I decided not to do the full vanilla as I was so so out of control. I'm doing two plates period. That leaves no snacks, no seconds. I think that's what I need right now...
Please pray for me

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:47 pm

Good to see you, I too was a bit out of control from Thanksgiving to Christmas - okay until New Years, make that January 5 :D but back on track and I agree with you, it feels good to regain control.

Stay strong ! I often just do two meals a day as well and do fine (even if I skip the "required" breakfast meal).
Berry

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:08 pm

Weights up ~ I'm down. I have been trying since the new year but I think I try to make too many rules for myself. One of which is the sweets thing. I don't seem to crave them until I can't have them. Also seconds bothers me. If I don't like much of what's on my plate, but want seconds on say peas... I debate myself. Anyway... What I'm going to do is give up snacking for lent. Snacking period. 7 days a week. No more rules than that. I need simplicity right now. I will also track a photo food journal, weight, steps, and successes on my argus app. So... My plan:

No snacks. Period.
Please pray for me

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:51 am

May I just suggest that there is value to facing down the deprivation/ rebellion layers that gets elicited by the "rules." Those are what bring up the sense that you crave sweets more or are handicapped by not getting to have seconds. Ask for strength to face the urges rather than to be delivered from them for the moment. Muscles grow when taxed. It's when we go over the peak of desire and it subsides without our giving in that we get the greatest payoff later, as long as we are not "dieting."

Why wouldn't you like much of what is on your plate? Choose foods you like and serve yourself plenty of everything; then don't eat much of anything you don't like. But try to fill your plate at this point with food you like predictably. Take your time and really savor every bite. Leave some on your plate, if you think you shouldn't finish. Trust that you will get over this phase and yearn for a balance of light and dense food as time goes on, a balance that will yield all the results you want. It might happen faster than you think.

Please review your motivations. When our motivations are very clear and strong, obstacles become rather minor and are considered tolerable. The suffering is productive.

Cosmetic motivations have a history of being some of the least effective because they imply that we don't approve of ourselves at a deep level. It is very hard to cooperate with someone who doesn't approve of us. More cooperation will come most likely from wanting to feel lighter, peppier, more vital more of the time and less imprisoned by our attachment to food.

Look within and see if you are still feeling bitter about and betrayed by what you have to do to heal yourself. If we don't believe that our plan is actually a fair trade off for the benefits we will get, there will be the unproductive suffering of resistance!

On the practical side, even if a meal turns out not to be yummy, face down the thoughts about being deprived of some needed experience. You will have a chance in a few hours to have a better time. Give yourself something really nice at that next meal, as long as it's not sweets. Unless it's an S day. In the meantime, realize you did your best and you fed yourself. Your body will take you through to the next meal adequately. If you really think you can't have a full plate, have at least one moderate portion of something that feels especially delightful. In my early days, it was a buttered Bisquick biscuit or a serving of cheese or a meal of half a plate of pizza plus veggies.

I gently suggest that you reconsider giving up snacking for Lent. Didn't you already say you feel that you make too many rules for yourself? Two plates didn't work, right. If you haven't been compliant to Vanilla, why not make THAT your Lenten rule? "For Lent, I surrender 100% to Vanilla No S no matter what. I give up wanting to mess with it by not having enjoyable meals to the best of my ability. I will tolerate all unpleasantness and fear associated with that and offer it up for _____. "

You may find you don't even care about snacking on S days. It's certainly not a requirement!

I do go on and on. Just delete it all, if it's too sermon-y!

I just want you to win for the long run!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:40 am

Sorry to butt in here but awesome post oolala. I've struggled so much with feeling that my inner rebel must be right only to find that my inner rebel may be fun but not all that wise. I've been super stubborn when ppl told me to stick it out and as usual had to learn the hard lessons myself crawling back time and time after enduring another fruitless joyride.

Anyway don't have much advice other to give oolala's post careful consideration. She knows what she's talking about!

Best of luck. I know it's hard but you can make this work for you!

Linda
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:08 pm

"fruitless joyride" What a great metaphor!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:27 am

I'll think about it. I will. But the sweets thing isn't a problem for me, really. I can turn down desserts without any problem. But when I follow nos, for some stupid reason I crave them. I've been doing this for years and it was either stop and try something else or modify. 2 plates is working for me just perfectly right now... I've gone a week and I feel the strength that a habit gives and I'm going to stick it out. I know that if I changed it right now, I'd fail and not get back in the horse. I was frustrated and off for a year. I couldn't make myself do the same thing that I was failing at. When I quit last year, I had great success. I'm just trying to get that back. Thanks for all the love ladies!
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:15 am

I've been going nowhere but up. In weight. Grrr. A year ago I was losing a lot. Somewhere along the way I went crazy and have been out of control since. I'm at my all time high again, and back on vanilla NoS. I have habitual on my iphone so it's handy. I wish there was a NoS app.
Please pray for me

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:18 am

We're on your side! I've been wobbling a lot, too. I'm kind of allowing it right now. No S has sustained me through some very tough times, but right now, it feels like work in a way that it didn't then. I have other fish to fry, so I actually don't fret about it the way I used to. But if something doesn't crack soon, it may get more dire.

I hope you find the key soon. As these things often work, it will probably look rather obvious, but it's just hidden now. Curses!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:19 am

~reneew wrote:A year ago I was losing a lot. Somewhere along the way I went crazy and have been out of control since. I'm at my all time high again, and back on vanilla NoS.
Welcome, ~reneew! This is a great place to come back to, isn't it? Both the NoS principles and these boards do a lot to encourage me every time I come back, even though I feel so foolish for drifting away and forgetting how well all this works!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:22 am

I'm sorry to hear you are having a tough go of it.

This might sound dumb but it helps me and it might help you If you are willing to give it a try. Is the sun shining there? If it is, go outside to do this in the sun. Otherwise in front is a window works also. Stand in the sun. close your eyes. Take a deep breath and feel the warmth. Do this until you don't want to any more. Open your eyes and look at something natural. (A plant or animal or water. . . You get the idea) keep breathing and see the beauty. Tell yourself you love yourself and you are going to take care of yourself. You might get some negative backtalk but that's ok. You are probably pretty angry with yourself just go with it. Then decide right then and there what is the one thing you are going to do today to get back on track. (One is enough even if you feel like there are a million changes you need to make: success builds on success.)

Then go do that thing.

Good luck today. I'll be thinking of you.

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:39 pm

I agree with gingerpie...that is a great exercise and you should do it...and I am going to do it...and everyone reading it should do it. I am reading a lot latley about our inner self talk and I think we all need to take a minute...and get THAT voice in check.
Kindness is the only way.

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:14 pm

Welcome back reneew. I am new around here and am amazed at the kindness and support I have received and witnessed on this forum. I'm glad you came back.

gingerpie's exercise sounds wonderful. I'm going to try it too!

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:08 am

Thanks so much everyone! I had a good day and then a bad day... I'm not going to dwell on it, just strive for default.
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:46 am

I've had 2 great days surrounded by miserable ones, but today was classic and I thought I'd mention it. I started out the day determined to make up for the overindulging all weekend so I vowed to not eat until dinner time. I never eat breakfast anyway, so 5 extra hours between the lost lunch and dinner is doable. I did it for 6 weeks once. You just have to get used to it. (My philosophy)
So, morning went great, then I passed by lunch with no problem since I'm so busy lately... Then about 3:00 I decided I was super hungry so I'd just have a diet pop to fake out my tummy. Then upon opening the fridge I see some of the awesome leftovers in there... Then the haunting began. I was cursed with visions of food for about 20 minutes before caving for an all out food fest. Little bits at a time mind you...mi figured I ate probably 4X what my lunch would have been if I'd just had my one plate.
Why am I so all or nothing? Why am I so drawn to food in the first place? Why can't I just trust this slow and steady plan that is the very definition of normal eating?

Grrrr...

Vanilla tomorrow!
Please pray for me

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:41 am

I started messing with skipping meals a year ago. Haven't recovered.

It was in response to much lowered hunger levels, but still.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:03 am

Sorry to hear you had that response, but it is a normal response from your body if you skip meals. Like oolala53, I had the same reaction. No S is the middle way, restricting is one extreme and over eating is the other.

Would it help if you committed to 3 meals a day for 5 days, and see how you feel?

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:54 pm

Well if there's one thing I've learned is that if I have 3 plates a day I gain period. Maybe it's my hypothyroidism, maybe just because I'm not hungry till 11:00, maybe it's all mental... I don't know, but 2 has worked in the past and that's my goal right now. :)
Please pray for me

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:20 pm

Great, glad it works for you!! I hope you have a better day today, good luck!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat May 02, 2015 7:45 pm

Meant to say, if I were retired, I think I might end up having two meals a day, unless cafe au lait in the morning counts as a meal.

Hope you're doing well!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23