Getting motivated & staying motivated

Talk about anything. Just keep it civil.
aaronw

Getting motivated & staying motivated

Post by aaronw » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:51 pm

My guess is that a number of people have a similar problem to mine. I have been fairly successful in school, and whenever I've had a job or volunteered for something. There are a large number of projects I've thought of that I would like to do, but I'm not quite motivated to actually do them.

These are all things that I think would be cool to do, but which can't quite compete with watching the Daily Show on Hulu, or even aimlessly perusing the internet.

So, I'm thinking of trying to use the only motivational method that has ever gotten me to the gym on a regular basis - the buddy system.

I'm purposing that if there is anyone else out there (or two or three) who has some large projects, of whatever kind, that he or she would like to get done, but never quite gets around to - let me help you out. And help me out.

I don't quite know how this will work, but my idea is to do something like the daily check in, but where I (and you) will also check our buddy's check-in and provide feedback and support.

Anyone in? Or is this a dumb idea & there is some way better way to do this? Or is this being done somewhere else much better? I look forward to your thoughts.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:49 pm

Hi Araon,

Don't hide this stuff in "off topic!" This is a potential everyday system, perfectly suitable and on topic for "general discussion."

Back in my distant pre-shovelglove days, the buddy system was the only thing that could ever get me to the gym either. The problem was my buddies (or I myself) would always eventually move and that was the end of that. I suspect you might find a similar problem with a work buddy system. But maybe not. It's worth a shot. It certainly makes sense.

And I do, now that I think of it, have a number of tremendously satisfying "projects" I'm working on that would be impossible without the motivational benefit of "buddies." For over a year now, for example, I've been jogging once a week with a friend. I've carefully read through and discussed several books of the bible with another. And I've been plowing through Xenophon and Thucydides and Plato for 5 years now with two more. There are all face to face meetings, though, which may make a decisive difference.

Whether or not it's social, treating your project like a habit, with the focus on regular compliance rather than meeting some discreet end goal, is an excellent idea I think. If you're learning a foreign language, for example, you're never "done." You have to practice forever or you loose it. Even putting up a website is like this. You can't just plop something on the web and walk away if you want anyone to ever visit it.

Another thing to consider in addition to positive motivation is limiting negative distractions. I've got a number of systems (weekend luddite, anti-bookmarks, blimits, g-ray vision) that have been enormously helpful to me in that regard.

Thanks again for the post, and hope you wind up figuring something out -- let us know.

Reinhard

KateMac

Post by KateMac » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:02 am

reinhard wrote:
Another thing to consider in addition to positive motivation is limiting negative distractions. I've got a number of systems (weekend luddite, anti-bookmarks, blimits, g-ray vision) that have been enormously helpful to me in that regard.
New to the site today, am trying No S, have already been Urban Rangering a tad, and find the shovelglove concept interesting.

I know what weekend luddite is, but what are anti-bookmarks, blimits and g-ray vision?

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:43 pm

Hi Kate,

Though they're frequently mentioned on the bulletin board, I haven't promoted these to "top level" systems yet -- they're still in "beta."

You can find links to descriptions here:

http://everydaysystems.com/lab/

Some of them at least are going to percolate to the top soon (I've been practicing them with meaningful success for years).

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:29 pm

I'm about to check these out now Rein.
Hahah! What was Schwerpunkt again?!! LOL :wink:
8) Debs x
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:32 pm

Hahahahah!!! G-Ray vision!
Nice one Super-Rein! :wink:
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:20 pm

g-ray vision? *blink*

Bless your heart, Reinhard, but I must have had a seriously Disneyfied view of you.

You come across as waaaaayyyy too innocent even to think of such a system. (I mean that in the most positive way. Honest).
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:01 pm

I must have had a seriously Disneyfied view of you.
You may retain your Disneyfied view of me -- I've been practicing it with 100% success for over four years now :-)

Reinhard