camera recommendations?

Talk about anything. Just keep it civil.
funfuture

camera recommendations?

Post by funfuture » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:19 am

This is really off topic, but does anyone have any recommendations for good digital cameras? I want to get a still camera that doesn't have a delay between pushing the button and taking the shot - and that has high quality images - for up to $1000 US. Ditto a digital video camera.... I want to use both for work projects - good quality images but they don't have to be state of the art - I have a little bit of funding to put towards them...Any suggestions appreciated.
thanks v much.

urbansix

Post by urbansix » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:52 am

For that kind of money you could go into DSLR, which I don't know any specifics. I would love one, but found with my older Canon Digital Rebel that I would never bring it along due to its size.

If portability needs to be part of the equation, I have a Canon G9. It's the upper end of the compact cameras, at ~$500-ish plus all the parts. It has a lot of the features of an SLR that I like, such as manual/aperture priority/shutter priority, it has a hot shoe (big point for me), is has manually selectable ISO, plus all the other automatic stuff, face detection, scenes, etc. Virtually no shutter lag - any delay is due to autofocus, and it's pretty quick.

All this in a package no bigger than your smallest film point-n-shoots (which can seem large for digital). It's brick shaped, boots up very fast so you don't feel the need to keep it "on". Built like a tank, with metal body - very rugged and feels indestructible next to similar sized competition. Oh, and 12 megapixels!

My biggest gripe with it is when you are shooting video (which it does) it won't zoom.

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:02 pm

thanks, urbansix - that's great information. Helps me know what to look out for. You're right -I do want something portable! but the option you suggest sounds good.
cheers - and thanks for the response.

dai479

Re: camera recommendations?

Post by dai479 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:21 pm

That sounds like a good camera!

If you want to do any more research, check out this site:
http://www.dpreview.com/

They have tons of reviews and information!

After looking around I see the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 looks to be a great point and shoot camera too!
Review here:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmclx3/

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:17 am

thanks Dai479, that's really helpful. Now I know where to start!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:23 pm

We have the panasonic lumix and it's very good but you do have to read alot to learn how to use the different functions.
Great stabilising function on it tho, and the pix are really high quality.
I recommend it :)
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness