Inge's Daily Check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Inge

Inge's Daily Check in

Post by Inge » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:10 am

Great idea, this! Don't like the idea of "food journaling" normally, but this seems different. Tried NOS last year, but wasn't ready for its stark simplicity. My mind wanted more drama. Now I'm ready.

Day 1 SUCCESS :D

A little hungry tonight, but nothing that can't be let go.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:18 am

Welcome!
C.
CaroleJo

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:20 pm

Hey Inge!!!
Welcome...
Life can be dramatic enough! I think a simple diet which *works* and is easy is way better than a dramatic diet which is unmaintainable after the drama fades...
Good luck..
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Inge

Post by Inge » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:26 am

Thank you both for the welcome, I've really enjoyed lurking and reading all of your contributions to this board! Deb, you're a wild woman!

Now for great news -- Day 2 SUCCESS :D

Funny stuff: Lunch was TWO tuna sandwiches -- four halves -- arranged on a dinner plate with a larger pile of Fritos than I'd normally admit to desiring for lunch. (Normally I'd just eat them out of the bag "who's counting? Not me!") No room for fruit. Truly the "bestial plate" described somewhere on the NOS website; in fact, I was embarassed enough about it that I waited for all other family members to leave the kitchen before I hauled it to the table!!! :oops: So encouraging to know this is a common newbie foible, and not a predictor of imminent failure.

As someone else mentioned, I was also very hungry soon after eating dinner :?: but it went away. Good night, all!

Inge

Post by Inge » Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:19 am

Day 3 -- SUCCESS !!!!

And maybe success, too, at getting the font color to work? We'll see..

Inge

Post by Inge » Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:20 am

Yes that was successful, too! :D

Inge

Post by Inge » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:10 am

S-Day -- SUCCESS!! Since it's not possible to fail on an S-day, that is! Otherwise, I'd be worried about the excessive pizza and Cosmopolitans :shock:

Inge

Post by Inge » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:11 am

Forgot to say -- that was Day 4. Day 5 should be a breeze too!

Inge

Post by Inge » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:18 am

Day 5 S-Day = SUCCESS :lol:

Tonsha

Post by Tonsha » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:56 am

Inge

Sounds like you're doing fine. Keep it going!

And no: You can't fail on an S Day!!

(Isn't that BRILLIANT?!!)

DaveA
"The best diet is the one you don’t know you’re on" - Brian Wansink

Inge

Post by Inge » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:48 am

Thanks for the encouragement, DaveA!

Day 6 SUCCESS !!! :D

Funny stuff: More than the "glass ceiling" of leftover S-Day Pinot Grigio! Should be no problem going forward, however, so I'm regarding the day as a success.

Inge

Post by Inge » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:06 am

Day 7 SUCCESS !!! :D

Funny stuff: Pretty huge meals, I was going to note, but I know from reading everyone else's notes that this isn't a problem now. Building the habit is most important, and I can feel that happening already. Refining the habit, and paring down the meals, can wait. Don't think I've gained any weight, anyway.

Tired tonight -- need a "yawning smiley" !!

Karl

Post by Karl » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:13 am

Inge,
Big congrats on the first sucessful week. Keep it up. As Red Green says "Remember, I'm pulling for ya. We're all in this together!"

Karl

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:29 pm

Thank you both for the welcome, I've really enjoyed lurking and reading all of your contributions to this board! Deb, you're a wild woman!
LOL!!!!!
Sorry I missed this! I have been semi-missing in "lack of action" since my comp at home was turned off...
It's getting reactivated this Friday! Yay...
Funny though...
Since I've been semi-away, Reinhard has posted like five times as much as he did during the times I was around!
Ha ha!!!

I will keep trying to be wild just for you Inge!!!
Hope you are having a great day..
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:07 pm

Hey Deb! That's great news that you're getting back up online!!

Inge, you're doing really amazing stuff here. Wow! a whole first week filled with smilies and successes.

Great!
C.
CaroleJo

Inge

Post by Inge » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:07 am

Thanks for the feedback, everyone -- it feels great to make it to 7 days. That's huge for me; hate to admit it, but 2-3 days is usually where I throw in the towel!

And Day 8 SUCCESS !!! :D

Nothing funny, even. However, tomorrow will be an S-Day for me, due to my evening book club which will be four hours of cocktails, appetizers, and dessert. I considered fitting this into a NOS framework, as my third meal, but then figured it would be better to eat a normal dinner and not arrive starving and start drinking wine on an empty stomach. Besides, it IS a special day for me -- I don't see these friends very often!

Thanks again for the encouragement!

Inge

Inge

Post by Inge » Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:07 am

Day 9 -- S-Day :o

And the S's were confined to my evening event.

Day 10 -- SUCCESS !! :D

Funny stuff: Again, very large meals, even though on one plate. Today was also the first day I was tempted with a sweet; this happened after my large lunch. It was really this daily check-in, and having to start the counting over that made me talk myself into saving the dessert for tomorrow. For breakfast, even, I told myself. But I might not even want it then, I answered back, and I do want it now. And that's the brilliance of the plan -- delay. Maybe I won't even want it tomorrow, and that would be just great!

Stuffed but happy,
Inge

Inge

Post by Inge » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:06 am

Day 11 -- S-Day

Return of the Perma-Snacker!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:01 pm

Good for you Inge, on saying "no" to the S during the week!!!!
You got 10 gold stars from NoS!!!
I am proud of you...
Hope you are having a nice weekend!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Inge

Post by Inge » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:34 pm

Day 12 - Sunday S-Day

Day 13 - Halloween S-Day :?:

Funny stuff: Didn't plan to take Halloween as an S-Day, really wanted to go back to Mon-Fri NOS-ing after a very indulgent weekend. Then saw some Halloween cookies at Super Target, which I'd never tried before, and suddenly it was: "Okay. Gotta have em right now. It's officially an S-Day!"

If anyone reads this, I would appreciate an opinion. Was the "spirit of the law" violated, and should this day count as a failure?

Thanks for the kind words, Deb!!! :)

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:18 pm

It's amazing how much food you can put on an ordinary dinner plate. I did this, too, for quite a while, until I finally realized I wasn't going to die before I got to the next meal. Then meal times started getting erratic, but I discovered that I still wasn't going to die. So here I am...not dead! As amazing as the amount of food that fits on a plate is the amount of control you will gain over yourself. Bravo, for No-S!

As for Halloween, it's your call if it's an s-day for you or not. If all you ate were those cookies, then console yourself and call them an "s-item" instead of a whole s-day.
Last edited by Jammin' Jan on Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:13 pm

Hey Inge... You are most welcome :)
I decided that today would be an S day, especially because yesterday I had absolutely no treats at all..
Today I got some delicious apple cider cinnamon sprinkled fresh donuts!
Richard, my son is already off with a few friends, in his Scream mask and his jackolantern candy basket in hand!
I believe that last year, Reinhard called Halloween the
"S day par excellance!"

You aren't breaking the spirit of anything..
Incidentally, last year, so many people expressed worry over the holiday season... In reality, at least for me, this wasn't a problem... In fact I even found there were some weeks I lost weight during the Winter.. Now what other diet can boast that???
As long as you keep normal N days to the rules, you probably won't gain during these months of celebrations...
Enjoy all of them!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:41 pm

Hey Inge and Karl: you are both in St. Paul. I'm just a little north of you. I wonder if there are any other no-s-ers in/near the Cities.

Inge

Post by Inge » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:58 pm

Hi! Deb, wish I'd read your bracing words before I made today a

FAILURE !! :cry:

by having Halloween candy for breakfast!! Enough said about THAT. I am determined to have a good B1 day tomorrow, however (now that I've gotten over pouting about having to start over!!).

Jan, I was also happy to see other MN NOS-ers -- I think three of us is sufficient to comprise a "Minnesota chapter" !! Isn't the Internet wonderful!!!

Inge (bloody but not bowed)

Karl

Post by Karl » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:45 am

Inge,
Halloween and the following days are probably the hardest days next to Xmas for snacking. It's so atypical, with all the candy around, that a small slip is nothing to be too concerned about. Keep on NoSing - you're doing great so far!!

BTW, I called Halloween an S day (for Spooky :twisted: ). Our neighborhood is getting old. Our first year we had over 120 kids. We barely had 40 last night.

Karl

Inge

Post by Inge » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:20 am

Unfortunately, Karl, the candy propelled me into "perma-snacker" mode, and the day was a hopeless failure. However, I'm letting bygones be bygones and reporting a

Day B1 SUCCESS!!! :D

Funny stuff: An unaccustomed lunch today, pancakes & syrup, made with my 4-year old at a preschool "pajama party" day. It would have been Grinch-like to refuse to participate, so I had one plate, and considered the day a success.

Fighting a cold tonight, my second since school started. Will be an early night tonight!

Inge (drugged and sniffling)

Inge

Post by Inge » Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:23 am

Day B2 SUCCESS!! :D

No funny stuff!

Inge

Inge

Post by Inge » Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:10 am

Day B3 SUCCESS !! :D

No funny stuff.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:49 pm

Go Inge,

It's really sounding good here. FANTASTIC EFFORT! :D
CaroleJo

Karl

Post by Karl » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:38 am

I'll add another --- Go Inge!!---.

How's the cold??

Karl

Inge

Post by Inge » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:44 am

Thanks, CJ! (We have a gossip columnist in the Minneapolis newspaper called "CJ" -- so when I see CaroleJo, I think of her...sorry....probably not a flattering analogy.. :oops: )

Anyway! Day B4 SUCCESS :D S-Day

Wasn't going to report today, just note the weekend S-Days as others have done, BUT this was my best S-Day ever, so wanted to record it as such. My N-day habits finally carried over! I found I preferred the regular, one-plate meals for breakfast and lunch. Yet I had the delightful additions of Twizzlers red licorice for dessert, a meandering dinner that didn't have to be "plated" (french bread, salad, wine, over the course of several hours), and a handful of Fritos before bedtime. All in all, definitely less food than previous "normal" days!

Inge

Post by Inge » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:46 am

Thanks Karl! The cold is much better -- only the hacking night time cough remains!

Inge

Post by Inge » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:16 am

Day B5 SUCCESS!! S-Day

Day B6 SUCCESS!! :D

Funny stuff: Hard getting back after an excessive S-Day Sunday. Felt cold and hungry after dinner. Hope tomorrow will be more comfortable.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:31 am

Gossip collumnist, eh..? *chuckles*.

How do you folks get to know me so quickly, huh?!

:lol:

C.
CaroleJo

Inge

Post by Inge » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:40 am

Day 7 FAILURE ! :evil:

Darn it. Haven't seen anyone ELSE start over twice on this board, but I intend to. Really think this goes to show how VERY ingrained some of these "S" habits are. Oh well. I'll be here tomorrow; I'm convinced that I'm fighting the real enemies, anyway.

Inge
(bloody but not bowed)

navin

Post by navin » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:49 am

Darn it. Haven't seen anyone ELSE start over twice on this board, but I intend to.
Are you kidding me? Most of us would be lucky to only have to start over twice. Most of us here have started over several times! You're doing fine.
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Inge

Post by Inge » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:47 am

Really? That's a relief. I'm off to read your check-in log now!
Thanks!
Inge

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:08 am

Start over TWICE...?

Inge, I've started over about 20 times by now!!! I don't think of it as starting over though. You've not undone all the good work you did so far, so you're not starting over in that sense.

It takes about 12 attempts to get a habit down-pat. Cut yourself some slack!! You're only on attempt number threee!!!!! :lol:

C.
CaroleJo

Inge

Post by Inge » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:02 am

Thank you for the encouragement, Navin and CJ. I do tend to think if something is difficult, that somehow it's not "right", that I'm trying to force a square peg into a round hole. In this case, though, I know that No-S is addressing the correct issues, and it's worth the struggle to force my habits in a different direction.

So I will persist, in spite of a FAILURE :evil: today. Sweets. :evil:

Tomorrow will be a good Day C1, however! See you then.

Inge

Inge

Post by Inge » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:21 am

Day C1 SUCCESS :D

Inge

Post by Inge » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:22 am

Whoops. Successes are supposed to beGREEN!

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:58 am

:lol:

Yeah, Inge!! good to see some more RED here, but for the wrong reasons!!!

C.
CaroleJo

Karl

Post by Karl » Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:59 am

Inge,
I've failed and restarted many, many more times than twice. You gotta long way to go if you want to catch my failure rate. You are also way more meticulous about following the NoS program than I am (I'm one of the slackers in the back of the bus 8) ).

Keep at it and remember that you have an awesome 20 success days and a measly 3 failure days (Tice and the overpaid, overpartied Vikings would kill for that record).

K

Inge

Post by Inge » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:21 am

Fri., Sat., Sun. -- S-Days

Thanks for the encouragement CJ and Karl! I think Tice earned his pay today in NY after getting tackled on the sidelines! Yikes -- he may not be urban rangering any time soon! Finally, a Vikings game that we didn't have to switch off in disgust after the first quarter!!

Inge

Karl

Post by Karl » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:54 am

Of course I missed it today. I want to see a replay of that tackle!

I really wonder if there is something to the "change of season so I must eat, eat, eat". I know I've been way more hungry lately.

K

Inge

Post by Inge » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:36 pm

Have had 3 days of mixed success :? I've gotten through 2 meals OK, but give in to sweets/snacking in the late afternoon. Nothing to do with hunger, just bad habits rearing their ugly heads.

Still, it's two-thirds better than I was doing previously!

Inge (hanging in there!)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:42 am

2/3rds better is awesome!!!!

Go Inge!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Inge

Post by Inge » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:43 am

Another day with the same 2/3 success pattern. Maybe it is the change of season, as Karl mentioned. Makes me feel like curling up on the couch and eat, while I watch Oprah and watch the snow skidding across the frozen lake.

Tomorrow's another day. And the day after that -- is an S-Day! :lol:

JWL

Post by JWL » Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:45 am

For what it's worth, Inge, I have a difficult enough time with the notion of "failure", and even more of one with "starting over" after a "failure."

I've had countless failures in the 5-6 months I've been no-Sing. But overall, there's been a tremendous amount of progress; what I call a failure these days would have been a very, very good day a year ago.

One must keep this in perspective. Do the best you can each day, and the slate is clean the next day when you'll have a new opportunity to do well.

I've written before about "big choices" and "little choices." You've made the "big choice" to go on No-S; now back it up with as many "little choices" (ie, not gonna have that snickers bar today) as you can.

You're doing well! Keep it up!
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

Inge

Post by Inge » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:28 am

Very wise words, Freakwich. What brought me to NOS was a strong desire to rid myself of the "dieting mentality", and all its time-wasting little dramas and struggles.

So today, I'll note that NOS went great, no funny stuff -- even managed to have no snacks during tonight's Vikings/Packers game on Monday Night Football!

Inge

Inge

Post by Inge » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:59 am

Successful day today, not so good yesterday. The big S-Day tomorrow; we'll be at relatives' house.

Inge

Post by Inge » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:04 pm

Going good here, no weight loss yet -- but a definite shift in habit.

I've stopped the Success/Failure check-in, realizing I'm not the kind who benefits from this. It just made me overly exhilerated by success, and overly depressed about failure, and too much focused on both.

The simplicity of No-s, and the seemingly infinite variations of every day "micro decisions" continues to interest and challenge me.

Inge