Waaaaayyy off topic

Talk about anything. Just keep it civil.
Blithe Morning

Waaaaayyy off topic

Post by Blithe Morning » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:01 pm

I'm interested in incorporating podcasts as part of trainings I conduct for work. What do I need in terms of software and hardware? Is there a Podcasts for Idiots in Need of a Guide out there somewhere?

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:18 pm

You don't need much at all, though people do manage to spend quite a bit if they're really determined :-)

Basically all a podcast is is an mp3 (or aac) file with some metadata slapped onto a server that (if you want anyone to ever find it) itunes knows about.

I record my podcasts with an olympus ds-2 digital recorder. You could probably just use your computer to record -- I bought the ds-2 for other reasons. The ds-2 creates a WMA file which I then use easyWMA (shareware, I think about 10 bucks) to convert to mp3 on my mac. I set some of the metadata using itunes (title, genre, "artist" -- the stuff that's stored directly in the mp3). Then I upload the mp3 file to librivox (I created an account with librivox a few years ago, I think it's about $5 a month, but there are totally free services as well).

I don't really do any audio editing, so I can't comment on editing software. I think I once used garageband to do something minor, but I can't remember exactly what. Basically my philosophy is that rough edges are part of the charm of podcasting. And if the rough edges are a little too rough, I just rerecord the whole thing.

Reinhard

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:47 pm

Thanks Reinhard. Very helpful. Since most of this will be short talks to accommodate the aural learners I won't need much in the way of editing. No swelling scores or funky bass beats although they might make the topic more interesting. I've been to a few trainings which would have benefited from a soundtrack.