healthy plate VA version

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

paulawylma

healthy plate VA version

Post by paulawylma » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:02 am

I found this handout for a "healthy plate." the source is the MOVE program of the VA.
Fill 1/2 or more of your plate with vegetables.
Fill 1/4 of your plate with 2-3 oz of lean meat, poultry or fish.
Fill 1/4 of your plate with healthy starches, beans or fruit.
Drink low or no-calorie beverages.

Sounds reasonable.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:57 am

"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:31 pm

Thanks for the tip/link!

I personally find that limiting my intake to just one plate sufficient incentive to keep it "looking good," but this is a pretty simple and unobtrusive way to quantify the aesthetics of a good looking plate for those who could use the extra nudge. It certainly makes for a very sensible "intelligent dietary default" if not an iron clad rule (tough to enforce in situations when you aren't cooking for yourself).

For a while it seemed like most of the "mod" suggestions we were getting involved S-days or "no snacking" -- now we've had two intriguing mods/extensions of the "no seconds rule" (9/10 inch plate and plate allocation). Speaking of mods, I think I'll link to this from the mods thread (and the IDD thread).

Reinhard

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:39 pm

I've done this for some time, and find it a useful rule-of-thumb. Of course, it needs intelligent modification with combo dishes, but the principle works well, and is relatively easy.

I also strive for "two different fruits/veg" per meal, but don't have an authority to back me up on that one. :)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:24 pm

KCCC wrote:I've done this for some time, and find it a useful rule-of-thumb. Of course, it needs intelligent modification with combo dishes, but the principle works well, and is relatively easy.

I also strive for "two different fruits/veg" per meal, but don't have an authority to back me up on that one. :)
For combo dishes, I use what the article suggests: 1 cup or I figure no more than a third of the plate.

I don't aim for two different veg/fruits at a meal, but it often ends up that way. I've recently learned that we don't need nearly as much variety as we've been "taught" we do.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

paulawylma

thanks for the link one difference

Post by paulawylma » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:16 am

It looks like the difference between the MOVE/VA healthy plate and the Prevention plate is that in the VA version you have to choose between a healthy startch (rice, whole grains, potatoes, etc) and fruit, but in the Prevention version you can have both (since it shares space with the vegetables).

Here's the link to the handout I mentioned on line:
http://www.move.va.gov/download/NewHand ... yPlate.pdf

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:46 pm

Well, the US Dept. of Agriculture is a little late to the party, but I found it heartening to see their replacement for the food pyramid. I was already using something similar to this for lunch and dinner for many years. It was bingeing, mostly on sweets, between meals or instead of them that was my problem. That's almost a thing of the past.

http://www.choosemyplate.gov/
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)