Vicky's Daily Check in - round 2

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Vicky

Vicky's Daily Check in - round 2

Post by Vicky » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:12 pm

Monday - S- Day - did well except had some Halloween treats - no seconds, exercised

Tuesday - thus far - OK - I turned away from a delicious candy bar at breakfast and had someone take it - so it will not be a temtation - I also found out I have to be on a low fat diet - so I turned away from ham and eggs this morning and had cheerios - I will check in tomorrow to see if the rest of the day was a success.
Last edited by Vicky on Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:41 pm

Welcome to the No-S Diet, Vicky! Glad you found us, and that you are posting. Best wishes to you. Halloween is a tough time to start, but you came through gloriously!!! :D

Vicky

Post by Vicky » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:01 pm

Hi Jan - Thanks for responding to my message - I thought it iwas out of place - so I thank you - I like what you did withg the smiley faces on your site- it seems so much easier to express. I think I will do that also, that way I can see where there is improvement - you sound like you have really done well - it is encouraging - I struggle with chocolates and sweets and snacking on sweets - so I do thank you !! Vicky

Vicky

Vicky - Daily Check in

Post by Vicky » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:05 pm

Tuesday -
Snacks : :shock: : (I had a low-fat iced cappichino, while driving and one string cheese)
Sweets :roll: The above had sugar in it and a crab salad that tasted sweet.
Seconds :D

So it is now another new day and Breakfast went well

Thanks and God bless all who read this - Vicky

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:25 pm

Hey Vicky! God Bless you too!!!
Don't worry if the beginning of NoS is hard... Habits can work for you or against you...
When we all start out here, we find out just how ingrained they really are...
It's a learning process, and even the failures are something positive...
You can learn from them and slowly, with determination (yes it's got to be a lot of determination! LOL.) you will change the old ones into good ones!
It took me more than six months to really feel like I was succeeding...
But I know that if I hadn't gone in this direction, I would probably be 250 lbs by now... I started in August 2004 and I had to have been around 225 or so.... Maybe 230.. my scale wasn't very accurate, and then I smashed it to bits with my Shovelglove one day!!! LOL...
That was fun!!!
Now I'm in the 206 range, but I'm down to a loose size 18 pants and I used to be a 22!!! Yo!
My waist was a 41 and now it's between 36 and 37...
Not too shabby for one year of good eating with whatever foods I like!
It's worth the wait...
So don't get psyched out if you aren't perfect...
Just don't give up...
Even two good days a week are better than 7 bad days... You will gain momentum here if you focus on the positive!!!
Put those "blinders" on and go fowards!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Also, just read your post more carefully...
You really did pretty great yesteday... A string cheese is certainly no need to panic as that could fit on any plate on the corner edge! LOL...
Also, the sugar in the crabmeat salad.. Well, let's just say that this is very very borderline...
As long as you focus on cutting out heavy sugar items, like donuts, soda, cake etc... I wouldn't at all worry about a small amount of sugar in that salad...
Low carb diets would have you freaking out, but the idea here is to enjoy your food, not over obsess about such small stuff...
Anyway.. Good luck!

Vicky

Post by Vicky » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:36 pm

Hi Deb: I am 222 lbs and I have been told by my doctor to cut back on sweets - Trigs- are high and I have low B-12 and need to get shots. I think if I put out what snacks I took and the sweets I took, it will help me to see my weak points. Anyhow, I am grateful for all your expert advice - I hate exercise - but I know I must - snacking has been my greatest downfall - well Deb - I am grateful and will keep trying!! Vicky

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:52 pm

There is some exercise out there for you!
I love Yoga.. I recommend that!
Walking is great too, though I hardly walk these days... Rah!
Bananas are great for vitamin B...
You will lose weight with NoS!!!
I promise... Just be diligent and patient!
Stay positive :)
Love,
8) Deb

Michele

Post by Michele » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:41 pm

I hope you continue to be sucessful this week. I did pretty good today, I had a big lunch and survived class at University without getting hungery :D I didn't even need to eat my apple. :shock:

I have been trying to exercise more and it is hard at first especially when you are tired after working all day. But I have decided that I can do at least a little bit on the stationary bike, it's better than nothing. I guess I expect things to happen too quickly, I need to be more patient.

God bless have a good day.

Michele
Last edited by Michele on Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Vicky

Post by Vicky » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:14 am

Thursday -

Snacks :? Frito attack

Sweets :) I actually had fruit today instead of dessert, or a candy bar

3 meals :) I feel I kept to the one plate - however I had a bowl of soup, which would fit on the plate, with three eggrolls - it would all fit on the plate, but probably was too much

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:03 pm

Oh dear! Those pesky fritos :lol:

Never mind. It looks like you're doing really well overall. The great thing about this is that it really *does* get easier over time, not harder!

Glad it's working out so far.
C.
CaroleJo

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:00 pm

Yeah... That doesn't sound too shabby!!!
Soup and Fritos together, could even count as a meal!
Next time... You can plan it that way, so you are sticking to the rules!

BTW... I agree wholeheartedly with Sister Michelle, that
Just like we persevere in our religious vocation, we can persevere with this too. I think it will take some time, but if we put our minds to it, it will happen.
Though I am *certainly* not a nun, LOL, (all respect to our Sister Michelle!!!) and have no clue what kind of dedication it takes to go that path, though I'm sure it takes a huge amount of will and effort, I have had to persevere through some pretty interesting Spiritual, and physical challenges in my life...
I say, if it's something as important as your feelings of day to day happiness with food and your body, and health, it is certainly worth putting 100 percent of your heart and soul into it!!!

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

CarrieAnn

Post by CarrieAnn » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:48 pm

Hi Vicky,
Just to let you know that this No S lifestyle does get easier with time. I started in July and now am at the point where I hardly even have to think about it , it just happens naturally. At the beginning I had a hard time with snacks myself and I love sugar. You can do it, it will just take some time to learn new good habits. You are on the right path! :D

Hugs & Love!
CarrieAnn :D

Vicky

Post by Vicky » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:33 pm

Thank you for all your encouragement, I appreciate that - my day was a bit more difficult yesterday - I am doing real well with no sweets, but it seems that supper is big portions and a snack between evening and after supper is real hard - tomorrow is a S Day and I feel a bit stressed today - yesterday went like this

Snack :oops: Chips and string cheese
Sweets :) :) :) :)
I plate meals :x I feel my supper plate is too full and I am not so hungy - I just think I am

Thanks again!! Vicky

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:40 pm

Vicky, I like the variety in your smilies! Of couse I guess less variety would be better from a dieting standpoint :P

CarrieAnn is right. Don't be surprised if it takes some fighting to build these habits now and keep bouncing back because once you get these habits down it's open country in front of you.

Reinhard

Vicky

Post by Vicky » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:12 pm

Thank you reinhard - I am checking because right now I am really tempted for a candy bar - I keep telling myself tomorrow - my day has been extremely busy, but even with the all that is happening, I am feeling the giving up today. Thus far good. So thanks for the beam of sunlight - I may not even need a candybar tomorrow, but that carrot is holding me to follow this. Thanks again - Vicky

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:18 pm

That's actually a good idea Vicky!!!
Have a carrot instead!~

Love,
8) Deb

ps.. Your checkin thread title reminds me of some kind of boxing match!! LOL...

You will love your candy so much more tomorrow...
Have two of them if you want! LOL...

pps... Isn't our Reinhard the greatest!!!! :wink:

Vicky

Post by Vicky » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:31 am

The carrot was the S - Days Deb, and trying to stay away from sweets is a boxing match for me, but....

SUCCESSFUL DAY IN ALL THREE AREAS :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think checking in at my worst moment was a big help and reading all the encouraging remarks helped me get past the moment of temptation, which was pretty strong for food - a big thank you to all!! God bless you, Vicky

Vicky

Post by Vicky » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:56 am

Well the weekend was the S- days - I was out of the country - I was traveling and well even Monday and Today - Tuesday were not successful - I will be back for a while now and so I will need to check in daily - if I do not check in, I am more tempted and thus I fail - so I will begin again tomorrow - any advice on traveling and not snacking or eating whatever is placed before you when it looks so good??

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:58 am

travelling is always HARD. There will be times where you have to make the best of what you're given. I had an instance where one of my french colleagues went out to buy some lunch for me whilst I was over there and he returned with a huge cake thing. That was definately an S for Sugar, but as it was the only thing to eat, it was better to just roll with it! Besides, how could I reasonably turn around and tell him "sorry, I can't eat that. Please get back in your car, go on another 5 mile round trip and bring me something savoury instead"?!

Do you travel much? If you're only really away for a few days every month, it won't make a great deal of difference in the grand scheme of things, really. If, however, you're away for about a quarter of your N days (as I am these days) you'll need to decide on a game plan.

Mine is quite simple. I do everything I can to stick to the NoS rules when I'm away, but I'm a bit more tolerant of screw-ups / funny stuff when I don't have control over it. Ultimately, I had to accept that I'm not perfect. I also make little 'deals' with myself when flying around, like "you can have junk food for your one plate Lunch at Burger King, but you can't eat the little sandwich and peanuts they give you on the plane as well".

I'm sure you'll find a way that works for you.

love C.
CaroleJo

Vicky

Post by Vicky » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:38 pm

Thanks Caroljo - sometimes I travel a lot in one month and then there are months when I do not, but there is always some meeting - so I will take your advice - I will be here the rest of the month - one big ceremony - but it is on an S Day - so I will keep going and keep trying and I will re-read you advice again and again especially if I am feeling like I will never get 21 successful days - so I thank you!! God bless you Vicky

Vicky

Post by Vicky » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:53 am

Today was a complete failure :oops: (with tears) I do not know why I was so hungry for sweets, but I was and I devoured them. Searched them out and found them - I need to express this failure and try again tomorrow - I am feeling discouraged that I will never make the S-diet - sometimes I crave sweets so badly - but I am not giving up this time, I will just try again tomorrow. Vicky

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:22 am

Never give up Vicky!!!!
Heres a big fat hug!

The first five months I was on NoS, last year, I screwed up at least twice a week... Normally I craved chocolate Haagen Daaz! LOL...

It does get easier with time, so don't freak out and please don't cry over this!
It's a learning process...
Learn and live!

ps... Even with the messups, I managed to sidestep gaining *any* weight at all during a whole New York Fall and Winter (which was a "given" for nearly all my life, each Winter...)
I'm not trying to brag or anything, but I hope to give you some inspiration to tough out your little "bumps in the road"....
In the end, I have really lost weight, over time, with NoS, about 25 pounds in a year, but I had plenty of moments of frustration...
But they are only *moments*.... And the next moment could bring just as much satisfaction, when I felt I had done something right!
So just focus on the positve things you do, and forgive yourself when you are feeling weak and "give in to temptation"!
LOL..

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:02 am

*hugs*.

It will get easier, honestly. In the meantime, allow yourself to be human and mess up sometimes. It's just the way it is. It's certainly not worth crying over!

Hey, just think back to all the good days you've had. All those successes! And now there's a bit of a setback, well, SO WHAT?! Tomorrow is another day. It's OK. You can still get there.

You're going to be trying to do this for the rest of your life, don't forget. That means you've also got the rest of your life to perfect it.

Hope today goes better for you, Vicky. I'm sure you'll be fine.

love C.
CaroleJo

Michele

Post by Michele » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:37 pm

Don't give up on your goal. You'll be able to do it. Keep your eye on the carrot!! :) :)

Hope your having a great day. 8)

Michele

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:29 pm

Keep your eye on the carrot!!
LOL! That's cute, and I agree!!!

Love,
8) Deb