Chinese buffet

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

mondurvic

Chinese buffet

Post by mondurvic » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:09 am

Though I find buffets downright thrilling, they always end up as a bad experience. Not tonight! I went to a very good Chinese buffet (and you know how rare that is) and had just one plate! Actually, I virtually plated, putting a bite of several things on the plate, then going back for a little more of the two items I liked best.

I had a desire for more, of course, but there was no real struggle. Some slight discomfort about "not getting my money's worth", but it would probably have cost me about the same (under $12, including tax and tip) to eat somewhere else.

Instead of leaving stuffed and depressed, as usual, I bounded out with a light step, and felt terrific. I made a mental note to go back on an S-day, of course!

Judy

snazzybabe

Post by snazzybabe » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:27 am

Good on you for not over-eating just because it is a buffet. We all need to get rid of the mentality of getting our money's worth. We want a bargain so everything has to be super-sized. I know I'm guilty of that on occassion.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:55 am

Yeah. I know about that one. When I first started out, I objected on some level to paying for a sparkling mineral water when I was out eating. Afterall, it's just water, right? Why should it be as expensive (and in some cases much more expensive(!)) than a Coke...?!

Then I figured that previously I'd have been very happy to pay for a coke to drink with my meal and I'd actually been paying for something that would probably do me some harm in the longer term. After that, I never minded so much about paying for the mineral water instead!

Same thing goes with 'all you can eat'. Why do I want to pay to make myself feel ill....? It's LOOPY, but I guess most of us are guilty of that to some extent.

C.
CaroleJo

Azathoth

Post by Azathoth » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:27 pm

I have a HUGE issue with not getting my money's worth. I know it's a silly concept, but I cannot help it. It is for this reason that if and when I do attend any future buffet's I will do so on an S-day. I simply cannot take the risk on a normal day.

Hey, we all have to have our weaknesses, right? The chink in my armor is not sweets, it is over-abundance of regular food and the desire to always "get my money's worth". Having identified these weaknesses I am going to do my best to avoid dangerous situations on N-days.

I offer you my contratulations Judy at being able to face the buffet and keep it under control. Such a task would be nearly impossible for me and I envy your success.