Planning the S-days

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

geekmom

Planning the S-days

Post by geekmom » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:29 am

Since starting No-S, I seem to have developed a new habit of thoughtfully planning my snacks and sweets for the weekend. I'm not saying I obsess over it or anything, but by Thursday I usually have a pretty good idea of some dessert or treat that I intend to eat that weekend. The past two weekends I've bought the ingredients to bake a nice dessert and very much enjoyed the process of preparing them. My family is appreciative too :-) Because I'm spending time really considering what's going into my mouth, I'm finding that I don't actually want to eat cheap cookies or donuts or other random junk that I might have otherwise eaten if it was available to me.

All of this has made me realize a couple of things that I hope are part of a new, healthier approach to eating:

- The anticipation of an eating experience can be as much fun as the experience itself (again, assuming you are not unhealthily preoccupied with anticipating such).

- When you choose to only have sweets & snacks some of the time, it's worth making those something you REALLY enjoy and want to eat.

What's most interesting, though, is that even though I've only been at this a few weeks, it seems like my appetite and tolerance for sugar have both diminished so that I'm not even really eating much of the much-anticipated sweets. I baked chocolate chip cookies on Saturday and after eating only one after dinner, I felt stuffed. The week before that, I made some tarts and again, couldn't even finish half of one even though I had it in front of me for several hours after dinner while playing a rather long board game with friends. I'm quite happy about this overall because I feel the desserts are assuming their proper place in my diet for a change!

Anyone else?

janmarie

Post by janmarie » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:24 pm

hi,
i have had the same experience with sweets, i think about them all week and then when i can have them they really don't taste that good and i can't finish what i have.

i'm realizing more and more what caused me to gain over the years has been the perma-snacking, the little piece of cheese here, the taste of this or that there. I think during the week this is what i miss the most...the little treats i eat out of boredom and feeling somewhat empty at times. like any habit though, it's getting easier with time, learning to deal with those feelings in other ways.

noni

Post by noni » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:13 pm

Hi geekmom,

I also plan what esses I will eat on weekends to avoid clunking myself on the head and saying, "I could have had a ____!" (fill in the blank with anything but a V 8 )

I put goodies in the freezer and packaged goodies out of sight so come the weekend, I just need to look on my calender HabitCal which tells me the goodies available for that weekend. Works for me.

geekmom

Post by geekmom » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:19 pm

janmarie wrote: I think during the week this is what i miss the most...the little treats i eat out of boredom and feeling somewhat empty at times. like any habit though, it's getting easier with time, learning to deal with those feelings in other ways.
I agree, this is a habit that can be hard to break. I'm starting to be comfortable with the idea of being *properly* hungry at mealtimes; snacking interferes with that so now when I get those little urges to eat between meals I simply acknowledge the feeling as a charming relic of my old habits and then move on. ;-)