how many servings of oatmeal

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Trudy

how many servings of oatmeal

Post by Trudy » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:33 pm

If I try the instant oatmeal packets, is 2 packets too many for breakfast along with fruit like berries? Try to be filled.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:47 pm

I would say two is too much because prepackaged flavoured oats have usually got added sugar..
But if it's plain, maybe that would be okay.
Better to have some extra nuts, fresh fruit and raisins and milk to beef it up.

8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:45 am

Have you tried just one serving of oatmeal and the fruit, or are you planning in advance to keep from being hungry? I'd try one serving and remember that there's nothing wrong with starting to feel hungry an hour or two before your next meal.

One of the things that most of us need to realize is that there's nothing wrong with being hungry, even being really hungry, before the next meal. We've been taught (mostly by the food industry) that we need to do something about hunger as soon as we feel it.

It's good for the food industry to have us believing that we need to eat as soon as we feel hunger. It increases their bottom line. Unfortunately, it increases our bottoms.

Just recently I read that around the world, there are two things that show up routinely for breakfast: a hot drink and bread (or some kind of starch). Breakfast is something light to "break the fast." For most people, that's the entire breakfast and there's nothing more until lunch. I'm sure they're hungry by lunch, but there's nothing that makes you appreciate a meal more than hunger.

On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being not hungry, 5 being "I could eat something," and 10 being "I'll eat anything that doesn't eat me first," most of us have probably eaten somewhere around 5. With some exceptions, most of us could get much closer to 10 before we eat.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

la_loser

Habit first!

Post by la_loser » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:22 am

Although I agree that ultimately breakfast will probably not be a huge meal, it seems to me that when you're first trying to mold those habits, making sure you have a hearty breakfast to ensure you're not going to fall into the "I have to have a mid-morning snack" mode, is a sound idea. My memory is that Reinhard suggests that when you're building the habits, you may actually pile on a bit too much at first, but if it fits on one "plate" it should be ok.

Habits first, portion control can come after the habits are firmly entrenched. On the other hand, having a variety of items to make that meal may make it seem more like a meal too. Oatmeal (unless you'd consider it a dessert and its predominate ingredient is sugar) plus milk or yogurt or cheese and some fruit, for example. (An aside about instant packet oatmeal-probably not the "best choice" but I do remember reading in a recent post, the idea of putting your dry packet of oatmeal in a strainer or fine colander to let the majority of the sugar escape-the poster said it was still quite tasty and the sugar was not missed.)

Over the past few months there have been lots of oatmeal discussions as well as "what constitutes a serving" topics. Doing a search of some key words would find those but I don't have time this minute to look for them.

Anyway--welcome and don't sweat the initial portions until you have your HABITS firmly set. . . anything to keep from finding a "reason" to cave in and snack.
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

brotherjohn

Post by brotherjohn » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:10 pm

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but "quick oats" are nearly as fast as instant oats, and according to www.quakeroats.com, have most (if not all) the nutritional benefits of "old-fashioned oats" (which cook in a jiffy, too.) Instant oats are kind of sweet to me, and when I cook my own, I can control the amount of sugar.

(However, if you like the instant ones and are having good success, who am I to quibble?? :wink: You can still be a No-esser!! )

I measure 1/2 cup of quick or old-fashioned oats and cook that each morning.....

blessings,

John
"Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand." --St. Paul

Read my free weekly devotional rural adventures at:

www.countrypreacherdad.com