Question re dried fruit

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

mondurvic

Question re dried fruit

Post by mondurvic » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:20 am

Last night, on a no-S day, my last meal of the day was raw cashews and dried apricots. For future reference, is this OK, or should dried fruit be considered a sweet? I did not overdo either the apricots or the nuts, and it was exactly what I wanted for my last meal.

Judy

Inge

Post by Inge » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:12 am

My opinion, for what it's worth, is no, dried apricots are not a sweet. They're a fruit, and part of your third meal (and very rich in lots of minerals and beta-carotene, as I remember from my former days as a health-nut).

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:29 pm

I also reckon that dried fruit is NOT a sweet, but it still shouldn't be eaten as a snack (only because you shouldn't really eat snacks if you're doing NoS, not because of anything the dried fruit did to me in a former life :lol: ). If you want it with your meal, then no problem, so I don't think this is even borderline.

C.
CaroleJo

navin

Post by navin » Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:24 pm

Yeah, what CaroleJo said. For instance, I tend to put dried fruit in with my cereal at breakfast and don't consider it a problem. Now if I eat a bag of dried mixed tropical fruits inbetween meals, now that becomes a problem.
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

snazzybabe

Post by snazzybabe » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:20 am

I consider dried fruit as sweets because it has so much sugar. You're better off with real fruit. If you are only having a bit say on cereal then its okay in my opinion.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:15 am

I'd say it depends... Some dried fruit has added sugar. This kind is not OK. But the kind Judy's talking about doesn't, so I say BRING IT ON. If that's what you want for dinner, go for it. There are much much worse things you could be eating.

C.
CaroleJo

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:27 pm

Hey Judith :)
I think, in terms of NoS, you have to think of this as a borderline food...
Just like Jelly, or sugar in the coffee...
The thing is, you can eat so much more dried fruit than whole non dried, so it has the potential to get super caloric... I think as long as you have it in moderate amounts, like a few pieces, and not cups of it, you aren't treading into "S" land... But if you are having more than say, three or four apricots, I would say it is an S...
I know it was for your meal, so it's not a snack, but as Snazzy mentioned, dried fruit is very high sugar... But it's got vitamins and it beats eating a snickers bar, as CJ also pointed out, just limit the amount :)
I find that if I have some dried fruit like raisins or chopped apricots on top of a salad, that is a really nice combo, because you get that flavor, but also it is a substantial meal.. You could throw the cashews ontop too! LOL..
Or you could do like Reinhard, LOL, and have *oatmeal*! :lol:

PS... I have noticed that you are doing pretty great!!!
Congratulations and keep it up :)
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

PPS... I wonder what Prunie Peetie has to say on this!!!!??? LOL...

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:32 pm

I eat dried fruit every day in my oatmeal. I wouldn't consider it a sweet unless you eat a bag of it a sitting.

peetie

Post by peetie » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:25 pm

With Deb's encouragement, I must weigh in on this subject. I LOVE prunes as a sweets substitute during the week. I cook them, though, so they are plumper and there is more of 'em. Then I use them as a sweetening device over yogurt, cottage cheese......much like dried fruit was mentioned previously....as an addition to a dish to make it more delicious, but not as the main component of the meal. I will even sometimes have a few cooked prunes with some walnuts sprinkled over as a meal finisher during the week.

Deb....you should know better than to get me started here!

Love,
Peetie,
Princess of Prunes

mondurvic

Comfortable now

Post by mondurvic » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:24 pm

Thanks to all for dried fruit input. Won't make a joke about output. I shall feel free to include them now, in moderation.

Judy

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:18 am

Thanks to all for dried fruit input. Won't make a joke about output
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peace and Love,
8) Deb