Back in the saddle

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

mondurvic

Back in the saddle

Post by mondurvic » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:16 pm

No, I haven't fallen off NoS principles, but I haven't been posting (which may or may not help others, but most definitely helps me), and I've been allowing lots of diet-think to fester in my head. Ideas like deciding I should eat at certain times of the day, without fail. And I should cut out all but non-vegan food. "Improving on" NoS, if you will. That's what always gets me in trouble. I aim for the optimal, absolutely best, healthiest, live-forever diet, without admitting to myself that no matter how perfect such a diet may be, I'm unwilling to stick to it. I just darn well don't want to.

I can also get myself bent out of shape worrying about eating beef (mad-cow disease) or fowl (avian flu), or fish (mercury), not to mention panicking over sugar, salt and additives.

NoS had brought me PEACE - for the first time in decades of dieting - but it's so difficult not to fall back into diet-think. Any wise counsel would be most appreciated.

Judy

PS I'm going to start posting in my daily check-in again, listing everything I eat. It helps me to have somewhere to go to be accountable on a daily basis.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:00 pm

Hiya Judy,

Sorry, no wise words here, just the ramblings of another confused soul!
I aim for the optimal, absolutely best, healthiest, live-forever diet
I always wondered about that 'live forever' diet too. Suppose you actually got it right and lived 'forever'.... It's a big 'suppose', cos medical evidence of what's healthy and what isn't changes every other week as far as I can tell, but hey. For all we know, we might eat this tedious 'miracle live forever diet' and STILL die of some horrible disease 10 years later! :lol:
The point is, would you really *want* to live forever if all you could ever eat was this crap-ass boring diet with none of this and none of the other allowed? I can't answer for you, but I know I definately wouldn't!! :wink:

As for what's 'safe to eat' (mad cow disease, avian flu, mercury, pesticides etc) I try to be as sensible as possible and have some idea where my food came from, but other than that, I try not to worry about stuff that is totally beyond my control. That stuff also changes every five minutes. Last week it was carrots with pesticide residues, the week before it was salmonella in chicken... Hell, I have enough to keep track of without worrying too much about all that stuff!! Afterall, I'm relatively fit and healthy and I think the worrying would do me more harm than the odd bit of 'non-perfect' food. Human beings used to have to contend with much worse things all the time so I'm pretty sure it's not going to have that big an impact.

Generally the only thing I try to do is to cook as much stuff from fresh as possible. But then again, I have neither the time nor the money to source all my ingredients from local organic farmers, so my meat and veg comes from the local supermarket, the same as just about everybody elses. In this time-scarce life, I'm also definately *not* above the occasional piece of convience food or the odd TV dinner either. Hey, wait. Maybe it's mad cow disease kicking in, this lassez-faire attitude. I did grow up in Britain and ate school dinners all through the 1980s.... :twisted:

So, I'm not quite sure what I'm actually trying to say to you, or even if it would help, but try not to worry so much. Even if you do decide to add stuff in to NoS, I'd do it under a different heading or 'initiative'. That way NoS can still be successful and sustainable, whether or not this new set of resolutions are.

Hope you manage to hold on to that peace a while longer. It's a precious and rare thing these days, it seems.

C.
CaroleJo

mondurvic

Live-forever diet

Post by mondurvic » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:20 pm

You are so right, CaroleJo. I do not want to live forever, of course; I just want to be healthy and pain-free as long as I live. But I have two family stories that are informative:

One is my aunt, now in her mid-80's, who was ahead of her time when it came to proper nutrition. Always ate lots of fruits and vegetables, removed skin from turkey, avoided fat and desserts, etc. Never overweight a day in her life, and healthy as a horse. Unfortunately, she developed Alzheimer's over 20 years ago and just sits there vegetating year after year, decade after decade - still healthy as a horse.

The other story concerns my mother, who died a few years ago at 98. The last 40 years of her life she worried constantly about how she would die - would it be long-drawn-out and painful, etc. Turned out she was walking down the hall one day, in full possession of her faculties and feeling fine, when she keeled over, fell to the ground and was dead in a second. (Her heart just gave out.) She would have been so relieved to know that her death would be so quick and easy - and she could have saved herself 4o years of agonizing and worry.

Judy

Lane

Post by Lane » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:25 am

I remember Dean Ornish say that his diet helps you live to live longer -- or maybe it just feels that way. In other words, his diet is so restrictive and boring that each meal is a total drag. Remember, time flies when you're having fun. Let's live life and eat each meal so that our years are wonderful -- and that even 100 of them will "fly" by.