Podcast 37: Mods & Tweaks Trilogy 3: When a mere mod isn

An everyday system, TM, is a simple, commonsense solution to an everyday problem, grounded by a pun or metaphor. Propose/discuss new systems here.
reinhard
Site Admin

Podcast 37: Mods & Tweaks Trilogy 3: When a mere mod isn

Post by reinhard » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:26 am

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:58 am

Nice one. Was a thoroughly interesting podcast and gave me some useful information to help tidy up my own system ideas. Thanks Reinhard.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:16 am

A very useful set of ideas - as always. :)

I particularly like the "habit-think over goal-think" terminology. That captures an "antidote for perfectionism" that I heard some time back. (Perfectionism is just "goal-think" to an extreme, where the focus on the end product derails the process.) The antidote was as follows: Find something you're interested in that is not mission-critical to your life and do it for 15 minutes a day at least 5 days a week. Period. No longer than that, and no less.

That sounds like a minimal effort, but the PROCESS of almost-daily practice is critical. It allows you to be a beginner, and accept that fumbling stage as a normal place to begin. It allows you to see (and internalize) that regular practice builds skill. It removes pressure - success is just putting in the time, plus you start with something non-crucial. As you progress, building skill in one area shores up confidence in others. In short, the power of this simple "antidote" is immense.

Thanks again for articulating and sharing your systems. :)

harmony

Post by harmony » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:11 pm

Thank You!

This was an excellent reminder for me to make realistic goals. Just 2 days ago, I decided to make a second attempt at my New Year's Resolutions using the personal chain of command/ punch card system (atleast to the extent of my current understanding of it :? ). After reading the podcast this morning, I was forced to admit that I was overdoing it a bit and have since made adjustments that I think will work much better in the long run. :D
Very good advice.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:15 pm

Thanks all! I'm glad you liked it.

This last batch of podcast episodes has been helpful for me too in thinking through these bigger picture issues.

Reinhard

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:21 pm

Reinhard, I can't thank you enough for being quite clear about something I desperately needed to hear.

To say I tend to be goal-oriented would be an understatement. But ya know, I don't have it to a degree that serves me well except when I take on a big project and pour everything into it, going hammer and tongs at it until it's done.

It looks impressive, sure. My clients love it.

But what I don't have are the things one can get from long-term moderate consistency -- a good body weight, a college degree (surprise, I only have a high school diploma), a fitness level that makes me happy... Oh sure, I could go all out on any one of those things and get it. Then I'm exhausted and don't wanna work on that any more.

My goal now is to develop appropriate, moderate habits. Oh sure, I'll pour all that intensity that I do have into it, but I'm gonna be strict. I MUST eat three proper meals a day and not stint to try to lose faster. NOT ALLOWED. I MUST work out every weekday, but I am NOT ALLOWED to track progress other than whether or not the workout happened.

I actually did do this with housekeeping. I have a very neat, comfortable house. I have a couple of household routines, but I am NOT ALLOWED to go hammer and tongs at it. I do a fifteen minutes session of housekeeping every day, and NO MORE. Would you believe my house is neater than most of my friends who do marathon sessions every few months.

So, while I know it's possible, I want to thank you for being so very clear about why consistent habits have an overall gain over periodic intensity.

Systematic Moderation, YO!
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

abelincoln

Post by abelincoln » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:33 pm

its weird I've been immersing myself and all the teachings that you have on your website, but I still never really put the time into this particular one and it solved my problem/dillema very nicely so that I believe I will continue on better habits rather than focusing on results I like everything about this podcast. I won't go into detail but I think everyone can benefit from this one (systematic moderation). If you listen to this podcast you would be very amazed by the insight you gain