Produce in Salads

Talk about anything. Just keep it civil.
ItsTime2Shine

Produce in Salads

Post by ItsTime2Shine » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:54 pm

Hey everyone! I was wondering what/if any types of produce you include when making salads.

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:22 pm

Green salads, or any kind of salad?

Our green salads might include different greens and lettuces, olives, tomato, bell pepper, artichoke hearts, avocado, cucumber ... lots of stuff. Many people include apple, pear, figs, or persimmon in salads -- I don't like the sweetness myself, but if you do that can be really tasty, especially if you add nuts along with the fruit.

Other salads we eat a lot include:

Greek salad -- tomato, cucumber, and red onion dressed with olive oil, herbs, and feta

Fruit salad

Endive leaves and celery sticks with blue cheese and olive oil (OK, we don't eat that a lot, but it's really yummy when we do!)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:12 am

Everything Thalia said. I do like fruit in my green salads as well as nuts.

Sometimes my green salads are just that -- GREEN. I'm very fond of greens and a vinaigrette.

And then there's the traditional Greek village salad (which I've also seen called an Israeli salad -- and it's popular in other countries around the Mediterranean): tomatoes, green bell peppers, onion (your choice), cucumber, some cheese, sometimes a hard-boiled egg, and lemon juice or vinegar and olive oil.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Mounted Ranger!

Post by Mounted Ranger! » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:15 pm

We often have a salad of just romain hearts, squeeze of lemon juice, drizzle of olive oil, and dash of salt. Everyone in my family loves it: fresh, crunchy, tart, delicious! mmmm.

Sometimes we do the very same thing but add feta, tomatoes, kalamatas, and red onion.

I like a toss of tomatoes, feta, and salt.

I don't know why but I usually just can't stand most salad dressing especially bottled. I love the lemon one above, though. The big exception is Annies Goddess dressing. We use it for dipping veggies.
Mounted Ranger!
No S-ing, Ranging, and Shovelgloving since 7/7/09