Technique question for churning butter

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
SilentButDeftly

Technique question for churning butter

Post by SilentButDeftly » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:25 pm

So while I'm "churning butter", (shovelglove-wise, at least -- I've never done the real thing, but I digress) which arm should be doing most of the work? It seems like I should be using the "top" arm (the one holding the sg at the end) to do the lifting, and the "bottom" arm should be just for stabilization, but it also seems like trying to have both of them contribute to the lift isn't a bad idea either... What have people found to work well?
"I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean, S-M-A-R-T! I am so smart!"

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:58 pm

As a licensed massage therapist and Shovelglove enthusiast, LOL, what I suggest is that you try to do this move where you lift equally with both hands, but then you should change your hand position and let each hand get a turn being the top hand... LOL..
This keeps things balanced...
Watchout... Don't strain your shoulder... This is one of those static weight moves which relies on your shoulder strength alone, versus momentum and moves which come from your core... So, remember to breathe and move smoothly not churning butter like you are some sort of crazed electric butter blender!

Have fun!
Peace,
8) Deb

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:25 pm

I do just what Deb describes. I let both hands take the weight, but I swap hands halfway through my 'set' so that both hands get a turn on the top.

I actually find in practise that the top hand takes a slightly greater strain than the bottom hand, but the difference is minimal and as I'm swapping round it doesn't matter anyway.

C.
CaroleJo

Kevin

Or...

Post by Kevin » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:02 pm

I do it one handed and call it "busting the ice." 50 reps with a 14 pound hammer is brutal.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:17 pm

Hmmm! I'm *just* a feeble girl though, so I can only manage about 20 reps in total, with BOTH hands on the handle!!! This one is a major killer for me.

Me Likey what it does to my arm and shoulder definition though. :)

C.
CaroleJo

Kevin

bust the ice

Post by Kevin » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:09 pm

This is the one No-S exercise (when done the way I do it) that I wouldn't recommend. It makes me deep, down shoulder sore, and that's not a good thing, I don't think. But it does go away. and it does pump up the shoulders.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

JWL

Post by JWL » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:26 am

I use both arms about equally, and notice quite a difference depending on where my elbows are. If I lift my elbows up, parallel to the ground, it works a different set of muscles.

For the tuck the bales move, which is basically the same thing with the sledgehammer turned upright, I tend to use the lower arm only, with the upper arm just guiding the hammer, making sure it doesn't fall out.
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:53 pm

I do it 2 handed for 2 sets, switching hand positions each set.

I use the bottom arm more. Honestly, I don't even think about it. It just seems to naturally work out that way. Probably as my bottom arm gets tired out towards the end of a set the top arm picks up some of the slack.

Reinhard