A Message RE Deprivation

(New!) Read (or post) about people who have stuck with No-S for 10 or more months, lost 10 or more pounds, or 10 or more percent for their starting weight. Periodic updates strongly encouraged -- you can think of it as "Yearly Check In."

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Janette

A Message RE Deprivation

Post by Janette » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:32 am

Wow...it's been quite a journey..I'm a newbie to the No S Diet. I began working with it 6 months ago and can say it's been liberating. I wanted to post a message re an interesting cycle that I have now been able to pinpoint. Albeit, 6 months and lots of trials later..Essentially, it's this idea that for people (like myself) who have come from a strict diet mindset; once you begin doing S Diet, you go through a phase where you simply CANNOT adhere to the N days faithfully..One can also say, that you put on some weight from the sudden increase in sweet eating. However! If you stay the course, that is, continue to count those Red days and take the extra pounds "on the chin"; then something interesting happens...There comes a weekend when you simply eat your sweets and have no desire to continue come Monday..Quite the opposite, you welcome that respite.You begin to take those 5 days and follow the rules with ease...I think the feelings of deprivation from all those years of branding sweets as "bad" or "forbidden" may cause us to go hog wild for a bit..I'm thankful that I was able to stay the course..How sad to think that some people may leave this wonderful balanced way of living because they become fearful when this "Deprivation Phase" hits with all it's glory...So in short: Stay the course...Go through the extra Red days on your calendar, lose your fear of the added pounds..With time, you will lose those unwanted pounds and more, Lastly, you'll begin to trust your S days and moreover, trust the No S Diet..

Kevin

Re: A Message RE Deprivation

Post by Kevin » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:01 pm

Great observation. I've found that there are deprivation days, too - not often, but every once in a while - that are just not to be resisted. As you said, take it "on the chin" and just move on...
Janette wrote:Wow...it's been quite a journey..I'm a newbie to the No S Diet. I began working with it 6 months ago and can say it's been liberating. I wanted to post a message re an interesting cycle that I have now been able to pinpoint. Albeit, 6 months and lots of trials later..Essentially, it's this idea that for people (like myself) who have come from a strict diet mindset; once you begin doing S Diet, you go through a phase where you simply CANNOT adhere to the N days faithfully..One can also say, that you put on some weight from the sudden increase in sweet eating. However! If you stay the course, that is, continue to count those Red days and take the extra pounds "on the chin"; then something interesting happens...There comes a weekend when you simply eat your sweets and have no desire to continue come Monday..Quite the opposite, you welcome that respite.You begin to take those 5 days and follow the rules with ease...I think the feelings of deprivation from all those years of branding sweets as "bad" or "forbidden" may cause us to go hog wild for a bit..I'm thankful that I was able to stay the course..How sad to think that some people may leave this wonderful balanced way of living because they become fearful when this "Deprivation Phase" hits with all it's glory...So in short: Stay the course...Go through the extra Red days on your calendar, lose your fear of the added pounds..With time, you will lose those unwanted pounds and more, Lastly, you'll begin to trust your S days and moreover, trust the No S Diet..
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."