v-train's brutally honest daily check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

vtrain

v-train's brutally honest daily check in

Post by vtrain » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:13 pm

Okay - had to put that title so that I'll keep myself honest during this. I randomly found this site and was really impressed with the honesty and the suttle (yeah right!) sense of humor exhibited by Reinhard. A good sense of humor hooks me everytime.
I have recently been attempting to severely limit my sugar intake as a means to being "healthier" and hopefully dropping a few, so...stumbling on to this website was a godsend.
I haven't read through everything yet, so am still learning the lingo and the ins and outs of the "rules", but it seems a simple plan so am not too worried.
Well, I guess I should maybe post some basic stats so that I have a log of where I started. Today, 20 December 2005, is my first day on this progam (I almost called it a diet, but couldn't bring myself to do it). The last time I weighed myself (which was maybe a week ago), I was 157 big ones. My goal is not necessarily a specific weight, but more like a specific size (i.e. I want all those clothes that used to fit me to fit me again). So, a 15-20 pound loss would be about the range I'm thinking. I'm learning not to focus so much on the number that stares back at me from the scale, but more on the reflection that stares back at me from the mirror and the fit of my clothes. Just to give you a gauge about my weight...my height is 5'6". I find that just posting a weight number doesn't give a great idea about where the person is at. If I were 6' tall, 157 would be not bad at all. If I were 5' tall, 157 would be scary.
So, there you have it. Oh, almost forgot...I'm supposed to be posting my eating, too! Okay...

Breakfast (7am): Living Fuel Shake blended with blueberries and raspberries. http://www.livingfuel.com/LFP_01.htm
Snack (10am): 2 pecans and 3 raisins. (I know...no snacking...I'm learning)
Lunch (1pm): Spinach salad with olive oil and dill weed. Half an avacado sliced onto Triscuits. Chamomile tea.
Snack (2pm): Blueberry yogurt. (Still learning...)
Snack (5pm): Handful of pecan, walnut, almond, raisin mix. (Am I hopeless?)
Dinner (7pm): Quesadilla with black beans and salsa and sliced avacado.

Late mornining snacking and late afternoon snacking have always been a problem for me. It has taken STELLAR efforts to develop the habit of choosing healthy snacks over junk like POP TARTS, SODA and the like...so go easy on me there.

Oh, I'd also like to post exercise data so that I can keep track of that. Today I spent 30 minutes of my lunch hour on an indoor brisk walk (it's frackin' 20 degrees out, so I chickened out of any outdoor activity).

Okay...promise to try and make future posts a bit more abbreviated.
Last edited by vtrain on Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
v-train

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:47 am

Good luck Vtrain :)
I hope you get into the swing of NoS without major problems..
If snacking went from sodas, to walnuts and yogurt, that's great!!! And then with only a few modifications to the times of day, you will probably be able to eat most of the items you list even when you only have meals..
Boy, I am really envious of you and your big 157 ones.. I'm still over 200, and only 5'3"..
But NoS helped me come down from much more like 230 a year and half ago... I haven't weighed in for a week or so, but last time I was 206...

Have fun and stay warm...
Yeah, warm and Rochester??? That's like "Jumbo Shrimp"... LOL..

Peace,
8) Deb

vtrain

Post by vtrain » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:40 pm

Thanks for the well wishes, Deb! Sounds like you've really come a LONG way - I'm so happy for you!

Meals
Breakfast (6:30am): living fuel shake blended with blueberries and raspberries
Lunch (11:30am/1:30pm): hummus and triscuits - the reason for the two times is that i started eating my lunch early and then a friend invited me to ice skate, so i opted for the exercise and then came back to finish my lunch
Snack (4pm): yogurt
Dinner (6:30pm): fast food burger (not a big advocate of fast food, but made an exception since I was attending my niece's recital).

Exercise
7am - 2 reps of the 7 Tiger Moves http://www.bronzebowpublishing.com/exercises.html
Noon - 40 minutes of ice skating

All in all - a pretty good day! I was able to eliminate my morning snack!

:)
Last edited by vtrain on Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
v-train

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:26 am

Hi Vtrain,

Don't know how much Hummous and biscuits you consumed, but it sounds to me like your meals aren't substantial enough to tide you over to the next one, which might be why you're still snacking so much. Just a thought.

Welcome to NoS by the way. Hope you have as much fun and success here as I have!

C.
CaroleJo

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:58 pm

Hi Vtrain
I remember a Mad TV episode where the big "man/boy" Stuart, mother makes him quote her on what she says about fast food, and he says:
Mom says, "Fast food leads to a fast death.." LOL... :lol:
I eat fast food about once or twice a month at this point... The drive thru used to be a regular hangout for me before NoS... And when I mean regular, I mean about an average of 2 times a week...
The main issue is not to supersize and not to drink soda or shakes...
Those are the real killers..
Hope you enjoyed your neice's music show!
My son is learning sax now and it's a total pleasure to listen to!
Have a nice day, and I agree with Carole.. I'd just take the items you normally have as "in between" meals and include them in your lunch or dinner instead...

Peace and Love,
Deb

vtrain

Post by vtrain » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:15 pm

Howdy!

You gals are so awesome for checkin' in on me. Let me post my schtuff first...

Meals

Breakfast (6:30am): living fuel shake - no surprise there
Snack (10am): yogurt and handful of nuts and raisins
Lunch (Noon): chicken quesadilla with sour cream and guacamole
Snack (3:30pm): chocolate chip cookie and a small handful of nuts and raisins
Dinner (7:30pm): spinach salad and zuchinni soup with organic chocolate soy milk (i don't consider this an 's' because it doesn't have much sugar and the sugar that is in it is not refined).

Exercise

2 sets of the 7 tiger moves (am)

Ok - not too happy about my slip with the chocolate chip cookie. Co-workers have been flooding the office with cookies all week and I finally cracked! I stopped myself at one because a) it was the last chocolate chip cookie left and b) I didn't want to have to post more of a disaster here than I had to! Sad to say, if there had been more chocolate chip cookies, I would've caved - they are my ultimate weekness.

As to the snacking issue - I appreciate your input Carolejo regarding the size of my meals. I hadn't really thought about it that way. I find, though, that I have a hard time eating enough in one sitting that will sustain me to a "normal" meal time without feeling like I have overstuffed myself at each meal. Before I found NoS, I had started using the "eat small meals every 3-4 hours" strategy and I've found that my stomach has shrunk a bit as to the amount I can stuff in to it at one sitting. Although, the lunch I had today would be what I consider a "big" meal and I still caved into the cookie this afternoon. I felt stuffed after lunch even. I'm torn...should I try to adapt my eating back to a "3 squares" a day strategy or just try and keep the small portion/frequent meal strategy??? I need to think about this one some...
Deb, I totally agree about fast food. I used to frequent the drive thru quite a lot and had to put the kabosh on that - I just started feeling like total crap and knew that it was the food I was eating. I was proud of myself for not getting the combo last night - only the burger and a cup of water :) The frustrating thing is that they charged me only about 25 cents less than what it would have cost to get a combo! Argh...they're punishing the people who are trying to be good and enabling those who can't control themselves!
Okay - I'll step off my soapbox now...
I've gone back and edited my earlier posts to reflect actual meals - which will be my MO from now on. Posting my plan for dinner has really helped me to follow through with what I said I would eat.
Until tomorrow...
Last edited by vtrain on Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
v-train

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:40 am

I know what you mean about the price difference between a 'meal deal' and just the burger. When I started out, I had a similar feeling about paying in restaurants to drink a mineral water instead of a coke. Why was WATER on slightly less expensive than a soft drink..?! Then I thought about it some more and realised that it didn't make any sense. Why would I voluntarily pay slightly more to consume something that is ultimately harming my body? I wouldn't pay someone (not even just 10 or 20 cents :P ) to punch me in the gut, so why do I want to do that to myself? :lol:

I have to admit, it took a while for this thinking to really settle.

On the snack vs meals strategy... That's a tricky one. Some people in the past have done this 'half-essed' :wink: and addressed one or two of the Esses separately, perhaps you could start out that way and just make sure you're being super good about no sweets and no seconds during the week - as long as your snacks always stay as small and healthy as they are now, it's not too bad.

Another way to monitor this might be to put all the food for your lunch and mid afternoon snack on 1 plate at the start of Lunch and check it all fits. If it all fits on that one plate, it doesn't matter then if you eat it in 2 different sittings if that makes you feel more comfortable. This is a 'virtual plating' exercise. Please be careful you're not deluding yourself - as long as you're clear what your particular rules are and stick to them you can't go far wrong. :)

Anyhow, glad you seem to be doing OK. The odd chocolate chip cookie will tend to sneak up on you this time of year, but don't worry too much. Each day you get a new chance to do the best you can.

C.
CaroleJo

vtrain

Post by vtrain » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:29 pm

Excellent points, Stealthgirl (Carolejo). I'm liking the suggestion about 'virtual plating'. I think that will work really well since my stomach can't seem to fit as much in one sitting as 'no-s' suggests. If I can designate the amount of my lunch as an acceptable 'virtual plate' portion, I can simply spread this out during my work day. One of the reasons I don't feel so bad about my afternoon snack habits is because my commute is an hour long. I figure that, if I can plan for a healthy snack in the late afternoon, then that will help tide me over so I can resist the temptation to stop for fast food crap on the way home. I figure this is an acceptable trade off - at least in my book. The big thing I need to pay attention to is planning for these healthy snacks or 'virtual plating' techniques so that I don't grab other crap from the vending machines at work.

Okay - sounds like a plan. Thank you for your excellent input! I will be sure to continue being brutally honest with my posts so that we can determine if this will be effective.

Meals

Today is an 'S' day due to a holiday party at work. I plan to exchange today with Saturday since I forgot to mentally plan for this day. So, Saturday will be a 'N' day.

Exercise

Transformetrics (am) - lesson 1 stretches before and after; recommended reps of the 'Chest' workout; 1 Furey push-up, 10 Atlas push-ups, 8 Panther stretches, 11 Furey squats http://www.bronzebowpublishing.com/stor ... d47bd5a68a
v-train

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:15 pm

Hi V,

Glad to have given you some food for thought :wink:

One more piece of unsolicited advice though... Be careful with trading S days. S days are your reward. Don't punish yourself for nice things happening to you during the week! The brain is a very tricky thing and might well rebel completely later on if your inner brat thinks that (to be said in a whiny 5-year-old voice) "But it's not FAIR!" :twisted:

Have a great holiday season.
C.
CaroleJo

vtrain

Post by vtrain » Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:02 pm

Ok - I'm back from the holidays. I did read your post, Carolejo and wanted to thank you for the clarification on the rules. For some reason, I thought I had to trade regular S days for special days...accordingly, I just got off a very long string of S days and am so ready to get back on track after the holiday binge! My weight this morning was 159 :(

So, for today...

Meals

Brkfst: living fuel shake blended with berries and a yogurt
Lunch: spinach salad, triscuits w/avacodo and hummus, carrot sticks
Snack: handful of nuts and raisins
Dinner: quesadilla with avacado and salsa

Exercise

Transformetrics workout: deep breathing, pre-stretching, all DVR exercises - 35 minutes.
Last edited by vtrain on Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
v-train

vtrain

Post by vtrain » Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:36 pm

Exercise:
None yet...having a bit of a crampy/PMS day so may take a pass today.

Meals:
Breakfast: living fuel shake blended with berries, yogurt
Lunch: spinach salad, triscuits and hummus, coco-chia bar (protein/energy bar)
Snack: yogurt, small amount of nuts
Dinner: (plan - chicken and a salad)
v-train

vtrain

Post by vtrain » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:40 pm

I've been a little negligent in my posting... :oops:

Here is yesterday's particulars...

Meals:

Breakfast: living fuel shake blended with berries, yogurt
Lunch: spinach salad with olive oil, 5 triscuits with cheese
Snack: coco-chia bar, small handful of nuts and dried fruit
Dinner: cup of lentil soup with handful of tortilla chips

Calorie estimate for day - 1600
(I plan to post calorie estimates when possible for my own record-keeping)

Exercise:

20 minute brisk walk
35 minutes of Transformetrics
v-train