Back on No S

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Murphysraven

Back on No S

Post by Murphysraven » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:15 pm

Some may remember me from a while ago, but you won't hurt my feeling if you don't. I fell of the no S wagon, tried a bunch of other gimmics, and decided that No S was the best out of the bunch. I am rededicating myself to no s. Starting today.

My weight goals are to drop about 90 Lbs or so by next year Jan 07. I currently weight in at about 237. I go to a womans circuit training gym 2-3 times a week. My husband and I just started doing Shovelglove. I bought him a 12 Lb and myself a 10 Lb. And I try to go for walks on my lunch hour (depending on how rainy it is).

I'll try to post in the daily log for my first few weeks. I am looking forward to posting one of those silly pictures where I wear my old pants with the waistband pulled out to show how much I've lost. :lol:
When I asked for all things, so that I may enjoy Life, I was given Life, so that I may enjoy all things.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:13 pm

Welcome back, Murphysraven. I'm looking forward to those pictures too. :wink:

But do be careful. Losing over a third of you bodyweight in a year is quite an ambitious goal, maybe even dangerously so. Better to keep your resolve at the behavior level ("days on habit"). Be firm and consistent, but moderate.

Reinhard

Shameless Hussey

Post by Shameless Hussey » Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:22 pm

reinhard wrote: Better to keep your resolve at the behavior level ("days on habit"). Be firm and consistent, but moderate.
What Reinhard said. I never set weight loss goals for myself, because I can't make my body release weight. All I can do to control the healthy habits that support a body-determined healthy weight.

So I can concentrate on the three No S's, drink water in between meals, cook with nutrition in mind, take my daily 30 minute walk, and walk up stairs instead of the elevator at work --- and if I do, I succeed, no matter what the scales say.

Welcome back! :D

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:10 pm

I'm totally with Shameless on this one. If you are really eating sensibly and moderately, you will lose whatever excess weight you really have, but what your body considers to be excess and what you might think is excess could well be two different things. It will also go slowly and as you lose weight, the weight loss will slow down too. This is perfectly natural and is just your body getting into proper balance.

Please be careful. So many people set unrealistic goals for themselves and only get discouraged. My only goal is to be as healthy as I can be. Everything else is just a bonus.

Good to see you back though. I do remember you.

C.
CaroleJo

vtrain

Post by vtrain » Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:13 pm

Forgive me for barging in on this thread, but I just wanted to say thanks to Shameless Hussey for that inspiring post. I am new to this as well and I have already started beating myself up for not losing weight yet. Your post is right on and I thank you for sharing!
v-train

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:28 pm

Thanks for all the support guys. I've always been a heavy gal but that doesn't always translate into size. I wear between a size 16-18 jeans, and 1x top depending where I shop. While I do own a scale I am determined not to weight myself more than once every month or less. How I feel and how my clothes fit is really more of a reward than numbers on a scale.

Is it an unrealistic goal to drop to a size 16 jeans by end of january? They are a tight fit, I'd like them to be a comfortable fit.
When I asked for all things, so that I may enjoy Life, I was given Life, so that I may enjoy all things.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:25 am

Hi Murphysraven :)

You most certainly will be able to fit into size sixteen and beyond, but I would say don't put so much time pressure on yourself timewise..

It took me about two or three months with regular SG to see myself go down a whole size... Everyone is different though.. Who knows..
Think about it though...
Why does it have to be the end of January? Why the additional pressure? If you don't make it by then, will you get sad over it? I know that me personally,,, I would... My advice is to focus on your daily habits, and the pants will take care of themselves... I have gone down from a tight 22 to a comfortable 18 and bordering on a 16, in a year and a half... I'm not in my twenties anymore and things take time when you are bordering on the big 4 Oh~
Most of the time,,,,
I wear stretch pants! :P
LOL...

You can do it!
Good luck!
ps.. I think I already told you last time, but I'll say it again.. I love your signature quote :)

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

nelliebeans64

Post by nelliebeans64 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:55 pm

Hey Everyone,

After years of eating and not moving one inch I'm ready to start taking care of myself and my body again. I read through everything a few weeks ago and decided that the holiday season was NOT the time to start and fail. However, am planning the big January start (hoping not to curse it by mistaking it for a resolution.)

I have a lot of weight to lose and am glad to have read your wise words about not putting time limits on things and it being about the eating / movement - not about the numbers.

Thanks for your early inspiration!

Happy New Year to all.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:28 pm

Hey Everyone,

After years of eating and not moving one inch I'm ready to start taking care of myself and my body again. I read through everything a few weeks ago and decided that the holiday season was NOT the time to start and fail. However, am planning the big January start (hoping not to curse it by mistaking it for a resolution.)

I have a lot of weight to lose and am glad to have read your wise words about not putting time limits on things and it being about the eating / movement - not about the numbers.

Thanks for your early inspiration!

Happy New Year to all.
Hi Nellie!
New Years can be a wonderful way to make a fresh start... Why not try it out today and tomorrow just to see what NoS feels like?
Then Sat and Sunday you can PARTY!

You really get lots of chances to try and then try again and then try again...
Nothing here is written in stone, though, for simplicitys sake and for extra added resolve, it's good to think of the three NoS rules as a kind of

"Thee Commandments".... LOL...

But they are wise rules meant to help! You will be happy they are there, because, sometimes, we are our own worst enemies with eating...
Three rules aren't hard to stick to... Even if you only stick to two of them at the beginning, you will be working your way up!
Good luck... I started out around 230 and I'm nearing the 200 mark after a year and a half on this... I am psyched and haven't had a second thought about any other diet... Mainly, if I want to tweak anything, I just focus on upping my exercise... I would suggest weighing, at most, once a week.. If you focus on the habits, and just enjoying your food and new relationship with yourself on NOS, the numbers won't sway you so much...
They will change over time... Be very patient and diligent and you will see great results!
Good luck!

Peace and Love,
8) Deb